GF 12-Jul-16
Tracker 13-Jul-16
wildwilderness 13-Jul-16
Shiras 13-Jul-16
Rut Nut 13-Jul-16
11-Jul-16

Darrell's embedded Photo
Darrell's embedded Photo
Just agreed to buy an older jogging stroller on Craigslist with the idea of using it to pack meat. It has larger bicycle type wheels and my plan is to put as much slime in them as I can. Several of the places I will hunt have closed roads that unfortunately still get some traffic by people who ignore the fact they are closed. I'm thinking I can save at least one trip by putting meat both in my pack and on the stroller. Anyone else tried this? Am I nuts?

11-Jul-16
I experimented with it and then abandoned the idea. I think something like Paul uses will be better; maybe he will chime in. His has one wheel and two long arms.

BP

11-Jul-16
Yes, I'm wondering if I could modify the stroller to just use the one wheel. The places I intend to use it are uphill going in and downhill going out. I'm thinking it would push downhill pretty easily and it has a hand brake to help with the steeper sections.

11-Jul-16
Cnelk could manufacture a heck of a game cart out of that stroller.

11-Jul-16
How much weight will it hold? I can invision myself riding on it.

12-Jul-16
DL, get me on that private you have access to and I'll push you around in it.

12-Jul-16
The stroller is designed to hold what, 50 pounds max? Usually that load is on rather smooth surfaces so minimal shock to the frame which would happen on uneven terrain. You should load it up with a couple of cases of water which should be around 60 pounds or more then push it through some uneven terrain such as a local park with some tree roots sticking up near mature trees. My hunch is the large spoked wheels fail first. Let me know how the test goes.

12-Jul-16
Ummm, I'd love to have a pic of Ike pushing DL down the trail on that, all Sitka'd-up, with DL honking on a bugle!

12-Jul-16
Laugh it up Lou. You'll be slack-jawed when that pic of DL surfaces with a nice rack in his hands and a 10 foot white silk scarf trailing behind him in the wind as we haul ass down the trail.

12-Jul-16

Surfbow's embedded Photo
Surfbow's embedded Photo
We've used these two years in a row, when they are loaded heavy it's actually easier to push them like a shopping cart and not pull with a bike. This is 5 miles from the parking area...

12-Jul-16
https://honeybadgerwheel.com/

you could always try one of these, they seem pretty impressive in the videos but obviously more expensive

12-Jul-16
honeybadger looks cool til you get to the price tag. :) For $25 plus a bottle of slime, I think I'll take it with me and if I kill something a mile or more up a closed road i'll try it. (No, I won't be in a wilderness with it.) Picked it up this morning. Guy who sold it swears his teenage boys pushed each other around in it for grins many times and that it will hold more weight than you think. If I can get 50-60# in it plus whats on my back, I think it would save me a trip. In the end, it will likely be what of a lot of our stuff is, dead weight we haul 800 miles and never use. :)

At least with this I'm only out about three lunches.

12-Jul-16
Yes you will probably get some grief over it but I have 2 free ones from the trash that really work out well I have moved from one property to another a 2 man ladder stand moved it about a mile off road to a new spot held on with 2 ratchet straps good tool to have when you dont want to run a motorized vehicle it has transported 2 50 lb salt blocks and a large doe with out modification can get it done without a call for help

12-Jul-16

itshot's embedded Photo
itshot's embedded Photo
did something similar few years back, used it to haul in/out multiple stands on public land, just left it hidden or locked up, never got to use it for game but it would hold & haul my fatazz on flat land

I guess it depends on the terrain where you are

12-Jul-16
Most singles are rated at about #75, as I recall... For me, that's at least one trip...

But the CO mtns can make short work of standard, spoked wheels... Depending on how the rear wheels attach, you might keep an eye out for any old BMX bikes with the 4-5 spoke nylon wheels. You should be able to mount one up front really easily and some of the older bike trailers like the Burley D'light will take pretty much any front wheel you can fit in there.

13-Jul-16
I used one similar but eventually changed out the tires to solids like are used in commercial game carts. With those tires I could easily pull 150#

13-Jul-16
I think it depends on the quality of the road. I am sure on a hard pack smooth surface it would be a great benefit. Rough, sandy, soft single track it might be a hassle.

13-Jul-16
I did that quite a few years back and removed all the seat stuff and replaced with straps. Unfortunately I have never used it to tell you how it works. Think I got mine for $5 on a garage sale.

13-Jul-16
I had a similar baby jogger Darrell. Only difference was a shorter wheelbase and the back wheels had shocks. I tried to use it to carry in a stand about a mile in on a State Forest road that was closed to vehicles here in the Poconos. Plan was to haul out a deer instead of dragging. I quickly found out that the baby JOGGER style puts the center of gravity way high up above the wheels. Every time I went over a rock or uneven piece of ground, I spent more energy trying to keep it from tipping over. And that was with only maybe 30 lbs of gear. Even when I tilted it back and only used the rear wheels, I had to fight to keep it from dumping due to the COG being way too high. The trailer type like surfbow may work a little better since the COG is lower to the ground. I gave up using mine after that initial test. Just no way to make it useful in that configuration. Maybe on a smooth surface or more level ground, it might be more practical, but where I use it- no way.

• Sitka Gear