bigbulls 11-Jul-16
Aspen Ghost 11-Jul-16
Brun 11-Jul-16
tradi-doerr 12-Jul-16
Quinn @work 12-Jul-16
wildwilderness 13-Jul-16
PTaft 13-Jul-16
11-Jul-16
I finally drew my elk tag for area 61, and I could use any advise I could get from others that have hunted the area. I plan to hunt the second week of the season. is the north middle or south better? Should I hunt up or down in the morning? is setting up with a buddy behind me the best idea????

11-Jul-16
Good luck! I wish I could help but don't know the unit. My only advice would be somehow figure out how to hunt more than 1 week. You waited a loooong time for a unit 61 permit. It's worth more than a week of vacation.

11-Jul-16
There are elk all over the unit and it is mostly public land. My advice is to do several scouting trips and try to get to know one area pretty well. In my experience virtually every canyon has elk. It's too big an area to get to know all of it, so put some time in and you will easily find spots to hunt. You can hunt either up or down, depending on what sort of camp you plan. If you have a big RV you will probably be near the top. If you are tent camping you can stay just about anywhere you like. There are tons of roads and places to camp. I always like to have someone calling. Your set up should depend on the terrain and wind. The more time you can scout the better off you will be. I also agree with Aspen Ghost that if you can hunt more than one week your odds will increase considerably. It's a really fun hunt. You will see and hear many bulls. Have a great time and good luck.

12-Jul-16
I hunted 61 in 2014-it is one awesome unit! Lot's of good bulls-280-320. As mentioned above, try to plan for at least 2 weeks of vacation. PM me and I would be glad to help.

12-Jul-16
I hunted it in 2010. I would suggest hunting the last 2 weeks. If you can hunt that in addition to some time hunt the labor day weekend to get to know the area. Up till that there are a ton of atv's and cattle. The bulls we found would bed for most of the days and bugle from their beds and not move.

We hunted from the later part of muzzy until the end. The bulls were responsive during this time. Muzzy didn't matter. Just go. Don't use all your vacation the first 2 weeks.

13-Jul-16
Any week in 61 is fun! earlier is easier to call, but later the bigger bulls come out.

Having a buddy to call will definitely help. Put him a good ways behind you.

I have seen elk all over, but certain areas will hold more. Like always, it may change week to week where the elk concentrate. I would move around to find good rutting- like 3+ bulls going at it. You can find single bulls here and there all over, but there isn't anything like a big rut fest!

13-Jul-16
You've waited 12 plus years for that tag and you're only giving yourself a week to hunt!? That's lunacy, I wouldn't even consider it if I couldn't do at least 2. The experience alone in a unit like that would be worth it.

• Sitka Gear