JLS 12-Jul-16
Fulldraw1972 12-Jul-16
wilbur 12-Jul-16
Beendare 12-Jul-16
JLS 12-Jul-16
Booner 12-Jul-16
Fulldraw1972 12-Jul-16
11-Jul-16
Who here incorporates MTB or cycling of any kind in there work outs?

11-Jul-16
I ride an indoor bike with weighted wheel every other day all winter. This time of year I ride hills on a mountain bike on days when I don't hike with a pack.

11-Jul-16
I cycle 4-6 days a week. Both mountain and road. There are a lot of roads closed to motorized vehicles where I hunt. It not only keeps me in shape for hiking the mountains, it's a great way to access areas that are closed off to vehicles.

11-Jul-16
I try to get 100 miles a week between the mountain and road bikes. Sometimes I don't make it, other times I get a little more. Great exercise. I had to lay off for a couple weeks, but at it again now; sure do feel better when I ride.

12-Jul-16
Been in enough crashes as a teenager that I try to keep my feet on the ground. Two broken bones in two separate crashes 6 months apart.

I have a bike in AK, but there's not a lot of roads/trails available in Kotz so I've taken up running since there's not really any mountains to climb, which is my preferred workout. The bike is relegated to trips to the Post Office.

That said, an exercise bike is an excellent way to get a good cardio workout with low impact and works the important muscle groups.

MTB is a lot of fun and a great workout, but it has a huge potential for injury. Any time you accelerate the human body beyond what it's naturally capable of, something bad happens eventually. Obviously, a good deal of that risk can be mitigated with the common sense that is inherently lacking in teenagers, which is when I learned my hard lessons about bikes.

12-Jul-16
I hike with a loaded pack every other day 30-40 lbs, and do 2 days of MTB, 1 rest day. I also do the bow hunter workout I found on youtube 4-5 days a week. I have lost 25lbs in 7 weeks and want to drop another 20. I am not, nor was I fat, just out of shape (Oval) :) I broke my arm in 2 places in December and had to have some pretty serious surgery. Getting old sucks, it has taken a LOOOOONG time to heal. I am still having some tendon/ cartilage issusee in my wrist and shoulder.

Stay safe, and train smart!

Scar.

12-Jul-16
I try to mtb at least 5 days a week, 15-18 miles at a time. Best I have felt in years... physically and emotionally. Riding really is therapy for me. Am 55 right now. Recently lost 26 lbs and am where I want to be weight wise.

12-Jul-16
Marshall Tucker Band

12-Jul-16
Thanks guys. I try to ride every other day as well. Since trails are limited where I am currently working I am forced to ride gravel roads. On the weekends I like to head up to cuyuna and hit the trails. The days I don't ride I am hitting the hills with a loaded pack.

12-Jul-16
I try to cycle twice a week; either mtb or road getting 50 miles or so per week. Run three times per week as well as hiking with a weighted pack.

A couple of things that I make sure that I do is 1) take one day off a week and 2) stretch after each ride/run. I am 60 those certainly help keep me injury free.

12-Jul-16
I try to get out mountain biking as much as possible. With all the activities I like to do, all the work yet to be done around the property, and having to go to work (until the end of the year) there's so little time in a week to get out for this specific activity. I do it as much for the exploration and fun as I do for the exercise.

I read an article one time written by a former elk hunting guide that stated bicyclers had the best health and mobility to hike rough mountains chasing elk than others who were healthy from other forms of exercise like runners, hikers, weight lifters, etc.

Currently at 52 I'm working on having great activities that gets/maintains health than strictly exercising to get/maintain health. So much easier the first approach than the second but until I get the time I'll have to settle for exercise for the sake of health.

12-Jul-16
Good luck with the healing, Scar Finga. Growing old doesn't help the process, as I'm learning the hard way.

Ike, potential for injury with MTB? You mean like flying off in the dark and landing on one's head on rocks, knocking self out briefly and cracking two ribs? At least my bow was ok after the bike landed in a spruce. But it pretty much ended my elk season right there, and lucky I wasn't hurt worse.

12-Jul-16
Thanks Jaq!

Watch that noggin on those rocks! That's what they make helmets for brother:)LOL, I am terrible at wearing them! I have one that looks really nice on the hanger in my garage:/

Scar.

12-Jul-16
I ride my little bmx bike all over the place. Really good work out no gears and have to use my core for leverage pedaling when I'm going up hills. Used to do a lot of freestyle riding, but don't really do many tricks these days always paranoid about injury putting me out of work and hunting. Been debating on getting a mountain bike just for quick access to hunting areas and less energy output.

12-Jul-16
Beats the hell out of TBM.

12-Jul-16
Since we have the elevation profile of a pool table and mostly ag land, not many MTB options close.

Since running has been tabled since my knee injury/surgery, I have doing a lot of spinning. (Think the Peloton commercial, except not quite as "scenic") It is a very good cardio workout. Been doing it 4-5 days a week for 45- 1 hour a day.

12-Jul-16
Picked up a mountain bike just over a week ago now. Been putting it to use every other day so far.

12-Jul-16
All I do these days is ride my MTB or walk. I leave the running to the dogs.

12-Jul-16
Scar, I impulsively wore my helmet that afternoon to ride into a new spot. I truly believe if I hadn't worn it I would be dead, or worse. The temp dropped to way below freezing and it snowed that night. I could have fractured my skull, been knocked unconscious for hours, brain bleeding, died of exposure, all sorts of unpleasant alternatives. I'm a firm believer in helmets now...

12-Jul-16
Ok so the next question. Hardtail or full suspension?

I went with a hardtail this year. For riding on gravel roads I even lock out my front fork. I am hoping the hardtail will make me a better rider on the trails. I do plan on getting a full suspension next year. So the Yeti will have to wait. Lol

Lou, my first trip to Cuyuna this year I had a nice wipe out. 180 degree switchback. I leaned in just a little to much. Clipped a tree with my shoulder. Boy did that sting when I landed after flying off the bike then the bike landing on me.

Tracker, my right knee was one of the reasons I took up mtb. Figured if I cut down on running it wouldn't be as sore. Plus it is fun.

12-Jul-16
Fatbike, roadbike, and TT bike. About 5,000 miles a year. 400 last week.

12-Jul-16
Don't own an MTB but sure enjoy the road bike and riding with friends. Lots of great paved trails in the cities nearby with lots of bars and restaurants along the way. It's a good way to binge and purge calories. :-)

12-Jul-16
Anybody tried the cogburn C4, built for hunting. They do look sharp.

12-Jul-16
Yeah the Cogburns are neat... No suspension, nothing special but Camo:/ Stupid Expensive (1500-2K) for what you get, no thanks! Go buy a good Specialized or Trek. better yet, find out what you like and buy a used one Save$$$$$$

Scar.

12-Jul-16
I usually ride my mountain bike 2-3 days per week in the summer. I would probably ride more, but I'm also trying to get into the weight room 2x per week in the summer, and also trail running.

Yes, it has huge potential for injury. Yes, it is insanely fun.

Fulldraw, I have a full suspension. If it was a dedicated hunting bike I don't know that you would need it. Probably be better off with a fat bike. I have 2.35" tires on mine, which is on the wider side of trail bikes. My bike is Niner Jet 9.

12-Jul-16
JLS I highly doubt I would ever use my mountain bike for hunting. Mine has 2.3 tires as well. I have a 650b and the Yeti I got my eyes on is a 650b. I wouldn't mind trying out a 29er though.

I totally agree. It's insanely fun. Makes me feel like a 14 year old again. Lol

12-Jul-16
Just saw Marshall Tucker Band on Sunday. Someone needs to take the mike out of Doug Gray's hands.

12-Jul-16
I do a lot of riding; Spin, road, mtn

I think its the best low impact high quality cardio a guy can do

I dumped my full suspension mtn bike for a hard tail and like it so much better. Full suspension is great for long descents....but I was losing too much climbing power.

FWIW, I don't do a lot of technical mtn biking so I went to a 29er....love it.

12-Jul-16
Fulldraw,

I'd like to try a 650. I really like the 29er, for endure type trail riding it's a great bike. I do feel like it's a little big for very technical stuff, but maybe I'm just a shitty rider and the 650 wouldn't make any difference. It's funny, while I'm hiking for fishing, hunting, scouting, etc, I am also mentally scouting for rideable mountain bike trails.

Beendare,

My rear shock has a lockout for long ascents. Lots of rock gardens where I ride, the full suspension can really lessen the beating while riding these.

12-Jul-16
I use the Bowflex max trainer destroys my legs and ups the heartrate in as little as 2 minutes can only last 4-5 total unbelievable workout to strengthen your legs

12-Jul-16
Yeah in my opinion I won't own a full suspension with out a lock out. My hunting parter has a full suspension 29. I did ride it a bit but not enough to get a good feel for it. I k own what you mean JLS. I plan on doing a couple scouting trips to Co in the next month and a half. I am already research hinges trails I can ride while I am so outing. Lol

I am totally looking forward to riding in the sw this winter.

• Sitka Gear