Archerdan 14-Jul-16
Surfbow 14-Jul-16
TheSol 14-Jul-16
BigRed 14-Jul-16
Sean D. 14-Jul-16
Sean D. 14-Jul-16
D.Victoria 15-Jul-16
13-Jul-16
Anyone have any recommendations where to stay along the way from, Denver airport, to Silverton, Ouray area? Would like to stop along the way, once landing in Denver, but not looking for a really expensive place. I like little towns that have great little Diners for Breakfast, kind of like the Cowboy Cafe in Duboise,WY, or the Durango Diner in Durango CO. Also any suggestions in Denver, for the way back. Thanks as always, John

13-Jul-16
How far from Denver? Hand Hotel in Fairplay is pretty cool, a little over 2 hours from DIA. Gunnison has some spots, but I'd go stay in Crested Butte. (4.5 hours from DIA or so to Gunnison, maybe 5, I live closer.)

I'd take the 285 route, which is prettier, IMO, but I-70 isn't bad either. If you take I-70, the Eagle Diner is cool, and the food is good. Or stay in Glenwood Springs at the old Glenwood Hotel. Great place, lots of history. plenty of spots to eat there. Theodore Roosevelt was a frequent guest there, as was Al Capone....

That gives you a couple of options.

14-Jul-16
If you stop in Glenwood Springs take a short climb to the grave of Doc Holliday of OK Corral Fame.

14-Jul-16
I just did this drive last week. I went 25 south into Colorado Springs, took 115 into Penrose, then hit 50 west. Royal Gorge, Sheep Canyon, Arkansas River, Monarch Pass are just a few things to checkout till Gunnison. If you have some extra time and 4X4 with a little ground clearance do engineer pass but do it from Lake City to Silverton....NOT to Ouray.

285 into Fairplay is pretty nice also. If you go that route eat at the Brown Burro in Fairplay.

14-Jul-16
If you find yourself tired after your drive or hunt, be sure to stop by Orvis Hot Springs just north of Ouray in Silverton. It's a "clothing optional" hot springs place to swim and soak in.

We go there every year on our elk hunt and it is very relaxing and the scenery can be quite breath taking. Hard to beat soaking after packing one out while staring at the snow covered mountain tops with naked ladies all around you.

Last trip there was perfect. We were enjoying a soak (still enjoying the high of having two elk in the ice chests) watching the snow come in off the mountains. Sitting there in the hot water with snow falling on you was pretty cool.

14-Jul-16
Stop in Gunnison, lots of places to stay there, some good 'ol diner food too...

14-Jul-16
I agree, the Gunnison route is the way to go.

14-Jul-16
I mostly go I-70 to grand junction but there is a pass called McClure Pass that will take you into delta via Carbondale which is near aspen and you get of I-70 at Glenwood Springs.

The Gunnison advice is really good too....I have to say that high road along the Black Canyon of the Gunnison is about the coolest drives I have ever made!

14-Jul-16
Here's the best route period. Take it every year. Drive Hwy 285 SW out of Denver. Take it all the way to Poncha Springs. That's where you should stay, little place called Poncha Lodge (exactly what you're looking for). Then in the morn, gas up at the Shell station and right next door is Tony's. Best breakfast in Colorado! Then head west on Hwy 50 to Gunnison and on to Ouray. Should take you another 3 - 3.5hrs.

Beautiful drive the whole way and good highways... Beats driving I70 every time.

14-Jul-16
Archerdan, Orvis Hot springs is in Ridgway not Silverton. If you drop any elk off to be processed behind the hot springs we may have met. My buddy has worked for Ken Orvis for years and that's where I stay when I'm out there.

There are more things Id rather not see at the hot springs then things I like looking at.

14-Jul-16
You can go to the True Grit restaurant in Ridgway, food sucks but they have some cool stuff to look at, Lot of big elk mounts too.

15-Jul-16
If you take Bigdan's advice and go near Poncho Springs drive an extra few minutes to Salida and check out the downtown. Great restaurants right by the river

• Sitka Gear