Jaquomo 18-Jul-16
Outdoorsdude 18-Jul-16
Bake 18-Jul-16
Franzen 18-Jul-16
NoWiser 18-Jul-16
deerman406 18-Jul-16
Jaquomo 19-Jul-16
14-Jul-16
When you are hunting what do you carry on you? Not in your pack but in your pockets? I'm talking emergency type gear that you want just in case your separated from your pack.

14-Jul-16
Wind indicator,binos, range finder and firestarter are in my bino case always. Other than that my pack is never far away with the rest of my gear.

14-Jul-16
I carry a compass, lighter,chapstick, puff bottle, small knife (or mini multi tool)...and in the afternoon a headlamp

14-Jul-16
I should carry more... I have a pretty decent kit in my backpack. But I might be in trouble if I got separated from it.

I would think that the minimum required would be a knife and a lighter.

14-Jul-16
Lighter, map, GPS, knife

14-Jul-16
Knife, lighter, compass, and flint/steel fire starter with whistle. It would be a major emergency for me to be separated from my pack but definitely a good idea to keep bare essentials on your person!

14-Jul-16
I never take my pack off ;)

Best of Luck, Jeff

14-Jul-16
Diaphram elk call, PNS camera, and GPS because they're used often. Everything else is in my pack and I never separate from my pack.

I don't carry everything and the kitchen sink so it doesn't weigh enough for me to ever take it off unless to get something out of it to eat, rain gear, or something of that sort. To drop my pack and take off just isn't something that makes any sense to me.

Edited to add: But if I don't take my day pack (when not hunting), I put my emerg kit in my pocket and keep the GPS in the other.

14-Jul-16
Emergency gear on me. Compass, lighter, knife and one of them 2 dollar space blankets.

Ed

14-Jul-16
I carry most of my stuff in my pack. Only thing I keep in my pockets are my wallet and key to my truck.

14-Jul-16
Chapstick, toilet paper, gum, calls. My camera is around my neck and tucked into a pocket. If using the compound a rangefinder is in one front jacket pocket.

I never get "separated" from my pack. That's a good way to get into trouble, and there are plenty of stories to illustrate why.

14-Jul-16
Cell phone is a must!

14-Jul-16
Binos on my chest in my agc harness, truck keys in one of the harness pockets wind checker in other. Chapstick, phone, lighter and rangefinder in pockets. Knife and pistol on belt. Gps is always attached to shoulder strap of my pack for easy access. Bow always in my hands of course. One change this year, I have a new pack and I'll have pistol on the waist belt of pack instead of my belt.

14-Jul-16
Extra elk calls

14-Jul-16
lint,ID and tags hahahah MikeC

14-Jul-16
To answer the question. Elk call.

Got separated from my pack once... NEVER AGAIN. Ellmtngear X2. I never take off my pack.

14-Jul-16
Nothing that I can think of. I'm never far from my pack.

14-Jul-16
Elk calls, binos, rangefinder, leatherman. Maybe some flagging tape if I'm feeling lucky. Everything else in my pack. We are inseparable....

14-Jul-16
I make every effort to not get" separated" from my pack, but I've normally got binos, rangefinder, calls, small knife, waterproof matches. Might start putting a headlamp in a pocket.

15-Jul-16
I get real nervous when I take my pack off and take more than a couple steps from it. For the times when I do, I keep a very lightweight fanny pack in the top of the pack with my emergency kit in it. If the pack comes off, the fanny goes on. Then I hang a strip of orange flagging from a tree near the pack, and GPS the location if I have time. It's amazing how hard a pack can be to find sometimes.

15-Jul-16
Can of Skoal! I'm never more than a few feet from my pack!

15-Jul-16
no reason to get separated from pack. not a good idea

15-Jul-16
I almost never take my pack off either...

15-Jul-16
In the rare instance I need to drop my pack to complete a stalk, I may not take much with me (typically due to lack of time heat of the moment) but always grab GPS !!!mark pack location!!! and headlamp.

Binos, rangefinder & weapon are always on me regardless of dropping the pack.

15-Jul-16
I learned my pack lesson the hard way when following a blood trail. Put it in a very "obvious" spot. Took 5 hours of panicky searching to find it.

Now all my packs have a strip of orange flag tape tied on the top

15-Jul-16
Copenhagen. everything else is attached on in my day pack.

I do have a magazine drop pouch that holds my calls and GPS on my left side.

15-Jul-16
Elk call and a puff bottle. If I'm unfamiliar with the area a compass. I don't stray to far from my pack though. If I did I might have to stick dome baby wipes in my pocket just in case. ;)

15-Jul-16
The reAson I asked is I was reminded of my buddies story. Brought a new guy out west, got to camp and while they were setting up they sent him back for water. It was just a couple hundred yards.....they found him 3 days later. He was wishing he would have had a few supplies with him. My flint and compass are always with me now....well as long as my pants are on.

15-Jul-16
Let's see:

Nitroglycerin Chapstick Knife Hemorrhage control pack Handgun Binos Calls E-cig Wind powder Wallet Cravat Rest is in pack, which I keep close at hand

15-Jul-16
Getting lost is scary.

Been there done that. Learned how easy it can happen and I'm really careful that I wont do that again.

Thought you were talking about "while hunting" though. I carry a lot in my pack but on my person I only carry a couple items. It's actually easier for me to access my pack then it is to access my pockets.

That being said I would never walk away from my pack without my compass. And even then I'd never walk very far from my pack.

16-Jul-16
Binoculars, rangefinder, elk calls, pocket knife, phone (gps) My pack is never far from me.

16-Jul-16
Light weight wallet, pocket knife, orange bandana, elk call, and a Bear Grylls basic survival kit. Added to this kit is a mini compass, mini cell light, two bandaids, and 2 aspirins. This kit fits comfortly into my pants cargo pocket.

16-Jul-16
Copenhagen, Binos, Range-finder, GPS, Knife. Never leave my pack unless I GPS it or flag it... EVER.

Scar.

16-Jul-16
GPS, compass, elk calls, snuff and a puff bottle. I wear a small hydration pack with all my survival gear in it and never take it off.

16-Jul-16
Elk calls, wind checker, binos, and my hunting license/tag. I carry everything in my pack and it rarely, if ever, comes off.

17-Jul-16
Ass wipe - top priority

Its not in my pack, its in my pocket

17-Jul-16
^^^

:)

18-Jul-16
Not enough. I really don't carry much on my person, but should probably get in the habit of always having at least a knife, fire starter, compass, etc. Good reminder thread.

18-Jul-16
Reading this thread makes me wonder how many guys just drop their pack in random places and wander off aimlessly into the woods?

Otherwise, why carry stuff in your pockets that you would seldom, if ever use during a normal hunt, that couldn't be more comfortably (and safely) stashed in an outside pack pocket, always there, never need to transfer it from garment to garment, chance losing out of a pocket, etc?

18-Jul-16
Well my buddies partner didn't lose his pack....it was the whole damn camp!! Tent, horses the whole 9! I hate having full pockets but a couple of essentials are nice to have.

18-Jul-16
Grubby, I'm convinced some people shouldn't be allowed into the woods without a retractible tether and a football helmet covered with flashing strobe lights, with an air horn around their neck on a lanyard.

Between people I met as a ranger and then guiding for elk, there are folks who need to just stay on paved bike paths in town.

18-Jul-16
^^^^^ x2

lol... strobe lit football helmet

18-Jul-16
I hate stuff in my pockets. . .

On past hunts, I'd carry a knife, binos, rangefinder, Skoal, GPS and phone in my pockets.

I'm doing a new system with my bino harness, so my binos, rangefinder and GPS will be attached to my harness.

I'll keep my phone and chew in my pockets. Belt knife on my belt. That's it.

I NEVER drop my pack. I only take it off to eat, or while glassing. If I'm taking a dump, it's at my feet. I put it back on before moving. I'll keep my flashlight and headlamp in the waist belt pockets.

18-Jul-16
"...I'm convinced some people shouldn't be allowed into the woods without a retractible tether and a football helmet covered with flashing strobe lights, with an air horn around their neck on a lanyard."

Now why do you have to go describing me to a T Lou? Problem is I always forget what I'm supposed to tether to and the solar panel on my football helmet is always catching on stuff. Gotta stay green you know.

18-Jul-16
I keep a simple pocket knife, a small folded map of the immediate area I'm hunting, and a windchecker in my pants pockets. On my bino harness is a compass and my elk calls. Everything else is in my pack.

18-Jul-16
Nothing as I wear nothing but a pair of long underwear and boots to my stands. I carry everything else in my pack and dress at the tree. Shawn

19-Jul-16
Ohiohunter, do you really carry a "sword"? That is bad ass! I want to hunt with you!!

I checked a guy fishing the other day who had one of those giant Rambo survival knives on his belt and strapped to his leg. City guy staying at a friend's cabin nearby. He was about 40 feet from his Subaru, 1/3 mile from the cabin, less than a mile from a restaurant and bar. But he was READY!

• Sitka Gear