Striker@home 15-Jul-16
BULELK1 16-Jul-16
Shrewski 17-Jul-16
cityhunter 17-Jul-16
Hessticles 21-Jul-16
Norseman 28-Jul-16
15-Jul-16
Hi all,

I'm hoping for some information from anyone who has hunted any of these units in the past. I am a Wyoming resident so wilderness is not an issue. I am also a school teacher, though, so limited time is an issue, especially since I have a 6 hour drive just to get to the areas.

I'm in good shape and have archery killed many elk over the years. I know some of unit 67 because I've scouted sheep unit 5 extensively over the years. I am familiar, then, with the Wiggins Fork, Caldwell Creek, and Bear Creek from the Wood River side--I've come in out of Kirwin and dropped into Caldwell Creek and hiked back out over Bear Creek Pass. I've looked down the Wiggins Fork from Burwell Pass. I've also vacationed at Brooks Lake, so I have a slight knowledge of the western portion of the unit as well.

Sooooo, here's my dilemma. I am recovering (remarkably well) from hip labral reconstructive surgery 5.5 months ago. I am back to walking 8 miles a day without weight but am not sure how well I'll be able to carry large weight long distances by September. I'm also very limited by time--obviously I won't be shooting a bull 4 miles deep on Sunday afternoon when having to be back in the classroom 6 hours away Monday morning.

I'll be hunting solo and am aware of the grizzly issue. I've encountered them many times while scouting sheep unit 5 and am aware of the risks.

With all of this in mind, can anyone steer me toward specific areas/drainages/locations where I might be able to encounter elk within 4 miles or fewer of a trailhead. I'm not looking for honey holes. I researched areas many times over the years and would just love some basic information if folks were willing to share. If you're willing to share a really great area, please send me a pm. I'm planning to head over the first week of August to scout out some potential spots and would appreciate any and all help. Thank you!

16-Jul-16
Glad to read you are in recovery very well, first off.

There are a couple reliable/honest guys that have hunted it over the last 4-5 years that would be of value to you for intel.

Reads like you prolly have some good knowledge already.

I'll toss ya a PM with some 'handles'...

Stay the course on your recovery please.

Good luck, Robb

17-Jul-16
I have enough deer, elk, and sheep points to plan to make that area the center of my hunting world once I get a couple more Alaska trips out of the way this fall and next spring. Would love to compare notes as time goes on. Good luck with your rehab, research, and hunts!

17-Jul-16
saw more moose then elk

21-Jul-16
Ill be out there the 5th-15th unless I kill before then!!

28-Jul-16
Well maybe I'm glad I didn't get this leftover tag this year.....poof!

• Sitka Gear