ElkNut1 18-Jul-16
LINK 18-Jul-16
txhunter58 18-Jul-16
Teeton 18-Jul-16
LINK 19-Jul-16
glidingindian 22-Jul-16
Michael Schwister 23-Jul-16
18-Jul-16
I am wrapping up an archery northeast New Mexico elk hunt on Sept 22. I would consider another hunt of some kind while I am out there, whether elk in southern CO, antelope in CO, etc. I have not elk hunted in several years, so I am hoping to spend as much time as possible in the mountains this year.

Plus I want to stay out there until the aspens turn gold. Please note any suggestions you might have on hunts that might be available. If I don't find anything, I may just drive around southern CO for a few days after my NM hunt, and enjoy the scenery.

18-Jul-16
There would only be about 2 days left of the archery season in CO.

I would head to Wyo for an antelope rut hunt if you can still get a leftover tag of some sort.

18-Jul-16
Yep, Last day of archery elk in Colorado is Sunday 9/25. Tag out early in NM and jump on over to OTC Colorado! Good luck! C

18-Jul-16
Since fairly new to elk hunting & trying to increase your knowledge of the species through calling & behavior patterns staying there in NM since you're already there & burn boot leather may offer you more days afield without all the additional driving time & added expense of purchasing another out of state tag. It's a good way to build confidence & hopefully alleviate some trial & errors towards future elk hunts.

ElkNut1

18-Jul-16
If you tag out early head to Colorado and start learning an OTC unit. If you hunt most of your NM hunt just stay and shoot more elk with a camera. Make it just like a real hunt trying to get in bow range. You'll increase your elk knowledge more in NM with more encounters but learning an OTC unit to hunt year in and out could be very valuable as well.

18-Jul-16
You can always head to Colorado and scout for a week for a future trip/ hunt with a camera. Won't have to compete with other hunters except for 3 days

18-Jul-16
I'm guessing ur hunting with a outfitter or why would u not stay in NM???? Can u only hunt private land with ur tag or maybe only with a outfitter? For the price of the Co tag and u can only hunt with a outfitter in Nm, pay to stay a few extra days with the outfitter. Or if you can hunt public land with ur tag go hunt public land.

Good question here,, if you got a tag in the outfitter pool and you did hunt with a outfitter. Can you go to public land and hunt after hunting with ur outfitter.. Good email to the NM DOW asking this. I may not be written in law that you can't... I ask in a email so you have the answer in writing. Being told on the phone is one thing but when someones name to a answer is on it,, you get a better answer.

19-Jul-16
In the outfitter pool I believe there are minimal requirements before one can be not outfitted. Many get in to the outfitter pool for better odds by paying a minimal price to have an outfitter pack them in and out. I believe the requirement is 2-3 days with an outfitter but I'm not sure I've never done an outfitted hunt.

22-Jul-16
If you decide to drive to Colorado the hotels and restaurants in Vail usually start to give significant discounts about then, even the 4 star spots. have taken my wife there twice after I finished my NM elk hunt and just went up high to glass and enjoy the Aspens as there was not enough time to hunt left in season. If I had more time I would have bought an OTC tag and hunted. didn't see a lot of elk but it was beautiful and got some great brownie points at home.

23-Jul-16
Unless you are on limited access private land, I would forget all about trying to call elk in Colorado. They have been so call shy for the last 20 years on public land that they run to the next drainage at the first sound of a bugle near a road. Best bet on public land OTC in CO is movement to contact into the wind/stalk final, or stand hunt near a wallow/water hole.

• Sitka Gear