TD 21-Jul-16
BULELK1 22-Jul-16
Jason Scott 09-Aug-16
jstephens61 09-Aug-16
CurveBow 10-Aug-16
ohiohunter 10-Aug-16
Conus_Reaper 10-Aug-16
19-Jul-16
I'm looking for a good hunting pack that will be comfortable that I would be able to carry all my gear, bivy hunting and able to pack out an elk if I'm fortunate to get one. I also would like to get one for around 300$. Let me know your opinions. Thanks!

19-Jul-16
For the budget you've set, you might look around for a used Mystery Ranch Marshall. There are some floating around for 300-350ish.

19-Jul-16
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too, rokslide has a pretty active gear classifieds

19-Jul-16
JLS, that was a pack I was considering but where can I find one for that price?

19-Jul-16
Pm sent

19-Jul-16
There's one on Hunt Talk for 375. Check Rokslide too.

19-Jul-16
I know most people will not agree, but the Army LARGE ALICE will do all of the above, easy to carry, ruck up, and drop, will last a lifetime, will not snag on brush, and can handle 200# easy if you can. Only caveat I will add is I carried one for 20 years, lived out of it for long stretchs. They are SOO much easier to carry/load/unload than these new thangs. Oh, and bet you can find one in great shape for $50.

19-Jul-16
Look for a used Kifaru. Kifaru packs are the best out there

19-Jul-16
It wont be perfect for bivy hunting. But it will be an excellent hunting pack and a decent meat hauler...

You can get a new Eberlestock X2 for $199.

I've hauled deer, caribou, and moose with it.

19-Jul-16
It would be best to search the classifieds as mentioned. However, you're looking for the frame more than anything else. Bags are easy to come by and there are alot of options out there.

There are alot of good packs/frames available. Do some research and check other forums other than this one and rokslide. Don't go with the flow, or the testimonials on one brand, choose for you.

Some to consider:

Kifaru Stone Glacier Kuiu Mystery Ranch Eberlestock Seek Outside Badlands Sitka

19-Jul-16
In that price range it's hands down the Kuiu packs. The lightest best packs made for the money...

19-Jul-16
+1 what Ermine said ^^^

19-Jul-16
How long do you plan to Bivy hunt?

Do you know your torso length?

19-Jul-16
When you say "bivy hunting" that means you will be carrying your entire camp on your back everyday while you are hunting and you will set up camp and sleep where you end up each day. This is true "bivy hunting".

Is that what you meant?

Or will you be packing your camp in and setting up a spike camp and then hunting out from that camp each day (and not carrying your camp on your back each day while hunting)? This is "spike camp hunting".

If you're looking for spike camp pack you might want to consider a surplus USMC ILBE pack. You can pick up a used one on eBay for $100 or less and they're very well built and very capable. I've used one for the last few years and other than it being heavier than the $800-$1000 packs I'm very happy with it.

Not to disagree with the Kifaru gurus but there are cheaper options.

19-Jul-16
Yes I mean bivy hunting, the only way I will be spike camp hunting is if I find elk somewhere that are staying put and need a few days to make a game plan. I plan on staying 10 days but I'm thinking after 5 days I will hike back to the truck to get fresh supplies.

19-Jul-16
I'm using a EXO Mountain 3500 this year. Spike camping and as my day pack.

19-Jul-16
Before upgrading to a Kifaru, I used a Tenzing 6000. It collapsed down nicely, rode well, plenty of padding, adjustable torso length. While I'm 5'11" even at the smallest torso adjustment, I felt it was a smidge long. Regardless, I think for 5 days in the bush you would be fine with the 4000CI. The meat sling works nice. I packed my bull and my partners bull with it and it performed as it should. It will haul more meat than you should carry. Especially hauling bivy gear.

After upgrading most of my western gear over the last 3 years; the best advise I can give you is this.

"Buy once, cry once" Don't settle unless it's all you can afford at the time. When it comes to gear, you get what you pay for.

19-Jul-16
We went back to a traditional backpacers pack, the wife uses a Gregory and I a Black Diamond.

19-Jul-16
Kifaru EMR II and make payments on it

19-Jul-16
Like someone said on a broadhead thread, if there was a best pack, there would only be one.

19-Jul-16
I agree, there are many very adequate packs as there are boots. I've settled on the Exo 3500 & it has performed awesome at a fair price! Actually better than my expectations!

ElkNut1

19-Jul-16
Kelty makes an awesome freighter pack. You can get it with a 3400 pack that can detach, or just the freighter. Cheap, proven, comfortable. Has a meat shelf and lots of flexibility.

19-Jul-16

JordanMOFLCO's Link

19-Jul-16
The Elkhunter by Bison Gear, may get one for around $350. Shawn

19-Jul-16
Kifaru Mountain Warrior. I really like mine. Can't wait to hunt with it soon!

19-Jul-16
I'm the same way YZ, except I'm looking forward to using my Stone Glacier to pack another elk out with.

19-Jul-16
What about a Eberlestock F1? I have never used one but they look nice for $169 for the pack frame - then use what ever bag you want theirs or your own for your bivy gear. What do you guys think that have used them?

19-Jul-16
One of the USMC ILBE packs or the civilian version (Arc'Teryx Bora 80) are solid IF you spend the coin and upgrade to a Kifaru Duplex belt. It's a five minute swap and it makes either of those packs an exellent "budget" hunting pack.

If using an Ilbe, you can shed a lot of weight with some strategic trimming.

19-Jul-16
I have an Eberlestock Blue widow for sale on ebay right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eberlestock-Blue-Widow-Backpack-with-spike-duffel-NO-RESERVE-/191925286281?hash=item2cafa37589:g:86cAAOSwtnpXjEOJ

20-Jul-16
Check out these guys http://www.wildernesspacks.com/. I'm not affiliated with them in any way. My buddy has one and its an awesome pack.

20-Jul-16
Alps TraverseX or CommanderX...

20-Jul-16
Look at the Horn Hunter Full Curl. It is in your price range. If you use your pack several times a year then Kifaru is probably the way to go. I have the Horn Hunter and it has worked well for me but I don't get to go every year.

20-Jul-16
joehunter - I just ordered the F1 by Eberlestock and am waiting for it to come in. I've heard nothing but good things and am hoping for the best.

20-Jul-16
I'm not a big fan of a pack that carries your bivy and gear AND your elk out.

Firstly, there's more than one trip. I strap a light weight hauler frame to the outside of my pack when going in.

You can attached a removable day pack to your freighter frame and hunt away from your bivy or just hunt with your removable and return for your freighter frame.

Either way you will have to leapfrog out with all your gear and your elk. Three trips per leg, minimum.

20-Jul-16
kifaru

20-Jul-16
For a Bivy, I use my Kelty Cache Hauler and attach my badlands day pack with my sleeping bag and pad in a plastic bag on the meat shelf.

I leave the freighter pack in camp and just use my day pack and go get the freighter to haul out meat after I get it deboned and in game bags. I can take a light load out with the day pack to get the freighter.

Lots of ways to do it.

21-Jul-16
Another opinion, like you needed one.... I would stay more towards hunting or hauling type frame. At minimum, look at the maximum weight rating for that pack you may be considering, It's a rare "civilian" pack rated to carry more than 50 lbs.... the emphasis with the newer gear is on lighter packs.... that carry less weight before they fail. Failure on the mountain is a big deal.

I have to fly with one pack to hunt and haul. There are several that will do just that. And do it very well. Maybe it fits your situation, but I think a few have recommended packs they could hunt and/or "bivy" with but not necessarily take a 75-100 lb load of elk plus camp out with. They are counting on some secondary "hauler" option later on. That may or may not fit into your strategy.

Most packs will have web sites that will give you that info. Due diligence.....

22-Jul-16

BULELK1's Link
I really am enjoying my RMEF pack.

See my link above

Good luck, Robb

09-Aug-16
Horn Hunter curl combo with a 30L dry bag. Most excellent!

09-Aug-16
Have a 107, X2 and the RMEF packs from Eberlestock. A Hunt Hard Core, a ALICE and a couple others. My bivy pack is the 107, but my all around pack has been the X2. I haven't had the RMEF out yet.

10-Aug-16
Like others here have already stated, I vote for an EXO 3500. I bought a used EXO 3500 on Rokslide. Will be used for packing in, daypack and meat hauling. Awesome features and adjustability and comfortable.

>>>>-------->

10-Aug-16
I have a horn hunter curl hauler for sale, also an eberlestock j34.

10-Aug-16
LL Bean Hunter's Carry All

Anything from LBT

I also like the Walmart packs. Internal frame, lifetime no hassle warranty, and only about $50.

Also just a regular old military issue ACU or Multicam rucksack with slip rain cover.

• Sitka Gear