Jaquomo 20-Jul-16
Ranger rick 20-Jul-16
cnelk 21-Jul-16
Ranger rick 29-Jul-16
Barty1970 29-Jul-16
Ranger rick 29-Jul-16
Ranger rick 29-Jul-16
19-Jul-16
Hi Guys Wanted to thank everyone for the great hunting advice for Wyoming unit 38 type 9. I am curious how the seasoned elk chasers scout a new unit. My wife and I are heading to the unit tomorrow for 5 days. I have scoured the maps,talked to a few people who hunted there and been on Google Earth long enough to drive my wife crazy. I am planning on walking the promising areas with my gps. What would you do in this situation? Anything I should do different or not thinking of? Any advice or opinions are appropriated. THANKS, Ranger Rick

19-Jul-16
Ps, specific things you look for while scouting?

19-Jul-16
Don't worry if you don't see elk. Very possible they will be in different areas now vs Sept.

Feed, water, and cover. Look for areas with tons of old rutting sign. Look for rubs. Not the one here and there. But clusters of rubs. And ID if the rubs are made multiple years. (Check the sap and bark). This is an indication these places are frequented year after year.

Get a feel for the road system and trailheads. If you are hunting Labor Day, you DEFINITELY will want to know where the TH's are and the ATV trails. That unit has tons of touristy ATV folks.

20-Jul-16
Thanks Z, that. all makes a lot of sense.

20-Jul-16
Bring a wind detector - check wind throughout the day. You will find typical air currents that can beneficial later. Log the times

Thermals are thermals - mornings and evenings

20-Jul-16
Also, make sure your wife has a great time! Good luck! C

20-Jul-16
Take bug juice

20-Jul-16
I look for places where other hunters are unlikely to go, and pockets where elk will be pushed when other hunters hit the woods. DIY Hunting Maps is great for this because it shows roads that the USFS maps don't.

Some of my best spots in my new unit are only a few hundred yards from roads or ATV trails, simply because others don't think to hunt there. Z mentions "touristy" ATV trails. Those are great hunting areas because those folks aren't hunting. Elk get used to the motors driving by. And "real" elk hunters don't think to hunt there.

I scouted a new spot this week that is so close to a main county road it's ridiculous, and the little hidden drainage is full of old rubs, several wallows, a great hidden meadow with plenty of feed, and trails coming in from every direction. I followed several main trails out and figured out the two main bedding areas so I know how to hunt it and get back out with the wind/thermal.

Everybody drives right past this little draw, just like I did for 46 years before I started hunting this unit. It doesn't look like anything remarkable and there's no pulloff beside the gravel road. I only found it because I stopped beside the road to take a leak, saw some elk tracks crossing the road and heading in there, and decided to take a short hike. After looking at the map and understanding where others hunt, it makes total sense that it would have elk during season (and now, too).

20-Jul-16
Great advice from all! Stopping to get the wind detector as I didn't pack one for the scout trip.

21-Jul-16
Bring a pair of boots that you will be wearing to be sure they are broke in

29-Jul-16
Just got home from the wyoming scout trip. We found a good amount of sign. Several rub areas, 1 spring in the middle of the timber with elk sign around it,a few game trails and several semi remote meadows. Went on GE to look over things and actually can see 8 elk in a meadow. Crazy! Cnelk, I did get a huge blister on my heel on the first day. Guess I will be wearing those boots alot more while training! Best part was my wife loving every minute of it!!

29-Jul-16
Good to hear Ranger Rick...you do know you are now obligated to share your 'there I was...' story come season? ;-)

PS Compeed with leukotape over the top are your best friends for avoiding blisters before they start

29-Jul-16
Just got home from the wyoming scout trip. We found a good amount of sign. Several rub areas, 1 spring in the middle of the timber with elk sign around it,a few game trails and several semi remote meadows. Went on GE to look over things and actually can see 8 elk in a meadow. Crazy! Cnelk, I did get a huge blister on my heel on the first day. Guess I will be wearing those boots alot more while training! Best part was my wife loving every minute of it!!

29-Jul-16
Sorry for the repeat post. Trid to refresh page. I will gladly share stories of the hunt and info after the fact. I received help and will gladly try to help others that draw the tag next fall.

• Sitka Gear