smarba 20-Jul-16
WapitiBob 20-Jul-16
TD 20-Jul-16
IdyllwildArcher 20-Jul-16
elkmtngear 20-Jul-16
BULELK1 20-Jul-16
dave kaden 20-Jul-16
19-Jul-16
Hunting NM for the first time this Season (Carson National Forest). In CO, I always have plenty of creek and springs around to filter from.

From "virtual scouting"...looks like tanks sort of dominate the (major) water options.

Anyone ever have a problem filtering and drinking from Tanks in NM?

19-Jul-16
If you filter water that elk have been peeing in, it still tastes like elk pee and if you put it in your camelback, your camelback will taste like elk pee forever more.

19-Jul-16
Haven't done what your talking about it yet, but have thought about it, I'm assuming your talking about steel or cement tanks, they have to have a fill source, can you collect water from it before it gets in the tank and then filter it? I carried a cloth bucket last year, few extra ounces of weight but felt it was worth it, I'd fill it up and then pump water from it, was also nice to have sitting there to put out a fire if we had one, was always to tired to build one though. I know I seen some Cuben Fiber dog water bowls, they would be super light!

19-Jul-16
Also I think there was a thread on this exact subject on rokslide recently.

19-Jul-16
Oldgoat, I really don't know if the bulk of them are metal stock tanks or cement...I was assuming that a lot of the tanks were being fed by long pipes from underground springs (stock tanks anyway). But I really don't know what to expect.

I'm planning on driving in with ten gallons, but I want to use my Solar Shower every couple days if possible.

There are a couple tanks I could easily drive to and refill as you described, IF I could find the tank source.

Best of Luck, Jeff

19-Jul-16
Which unit in the Carson? Unit 2 is accessible by roads pretty much everywhere, so no real need to worry about filtering water. Just bring enough with you for the day.

19-Jul-16
I would go anywhere else - but if treated right its ok to drink but in Carson I never had to get water from a tank.

19-Jul-16
Most tanks I've seen, the source pipe comes in over the side and you could just catch the water between the pipe end and standing water, but some have been on a waterfall type feed where one tanks overrun fed another and then some are fed by a float valve.

19-Jul-16
I appreciate the responses, DonVathorne...that's good to know!

A lot of waterholes on the map, but I know there's stock in the area as well as elk. I'll be looking for source springs as I'm cruising around out there.

Best of Luck, Jeff

19-Jul-16
Jeff first off if your going to hunt NM you gave to get your vocabulary right.;) Tank- water hole that catches run off. Drinker- cattle watering system the forest service has installed.

I don't have first hand knowledge of the drinkers but cattle and elk drink and stand in the thing. I would have to be pretty thirsty.

19-Jul-16
Have a filter for the pre filter's filter's filter

And bring extra filters....

19-Jul-16
Link, my bad on the newbie status of my NM verbage.

On some of our NorCal NF lands there are a number of metal stock tanks, I just assumed "tank" was a structure.

Sounds like I'd be better off filtering the water out of the toilet at a gas station...

Best of Luck, Jeff

19-Jul-16
I wouldn't want to filter water from a tank unless I had no choice. If you are hunting unit 2 then you won't be far from a road or your truck anyhow. The other units in the Carson you should have access to plenty of fresh water sources that are better for filtering water.

19-Jul-16
Interesting. I've lived in NM my entire life and never heard of a "drinker". Learn something new everyday.

Maybe it's because they have guzzlers and tanks in unit 2.

20-Jul-16
There won't be any animals standing in the water from a guzzler (drinker/trick tank). An email to the Carson district GIS guy/gal where you'll be hunting will get you a kml or shape file with all their locations. They may also have an overlay of the dirt tanks they pushed out or contracted to have made.

20-Jul-16
I would rather drink my own unfiltered urine than filtered "water" from almost any of the dirt tanks I've seen in New Mexico.....

Elk herds have some rather raunchy parties in those tanks.

It's kinda like sleeping in a bed in one of those pay by the hour hotels where Lou interviews his hippie chick "guides"

; ^ )

20-Jul-16
I spoke with a hiker on the Continental Divide Trail after coming through the desert in WY ... where the only water is in tanks set out by the BLM ... He was underwhelmed at the quality, but he survived, as, I think, all of them have.

I wonder if the long-hiking community has information about this.

20-Jul-16
Lol@KiKi

HDE maybe it's my terminology that is incorrect. When I hunt NM I hunt with a long time resident and retiree of the forest service. He built a lot of the tanks in several of the 15&16 units spent a few years in unit 2 and 51-52 . He helped install many drinkers and corrects me every time I don't refer to them as such.;) I guess I shouldn't assume that was a NM thing. I thought it was as NM as a green chili cheeseburger. Still wouldn't drink the water either way.

20-Jul-16
I agree, it's just semantics. In the Jic Ranger District (aka unit 2) the forest guys don't refer to them as tanks. They call them 'silt traps'. At the least the ones I know do.

20-Jul-16
Not to hijack this thread but when I was a range rider 50 years ago I bellied down and drank from a dirt tank with the cows, elk and whatever else drank water from it. I used my teeth to filter out the water bugs and bigger pieces of floaters. Sometimes you do what is necessary to survive. Would I do it today ? Heck no!

20-Jul-16
I'm thinking you should shower using the stock water. It will make you smell more natural. Just take your scent free Irish spring and pretend it's a bath tub.

20-Jul-16

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
Photo by NM_alazan

20-Jul-16
"I'm thinking you should shower using the stock water. It will make you smell more natural".

We have a winner...problem solved lol !

Best of Luck, Jeff

20-Jul-16

smarba's embedded Photo
smarba's embedded Photo
Example photo sequence of why, at minimum, filtering water from drinkers/guzzlers/metal tanks is mandatory!

20-Jul-16
I stand corrected!

20-Jul-16
If ya really think about it.... like bears in the woods.... what are fish in the streams?

Filters. That said.... some of those "tanks" are basically just stank nasty elk wallows, it would have to be survival conditions.... those in the pictures above.... they have some potential.... some things it's best you don't know.... kinda like having a hippy chick guide.... =D

20-Jul-16
Jeff, just bring all the water you need. You don't want to be spiking for more than 2 nights at a time where you're going anyways and your unit can be hunted from the truck with your sort of range, although a 2 mile spike camp may be worth it. I've camped in, but never hunted the unit you're hunting. I did put in there a couple years and I'd planned on mostly hunting from the truck with some 2-3 mile spike camps for a night or two. With that sort of hunting plan, you can pack your water and shower at the truck.

Or you can hunt it like everyone else... off the back of an ATV :) ATVs can carry a lot of water :)

20-Jul-16
Thanks Ike, I'll be base camping and driving to trailheads, going in 2 to 3 miles tops, and hauling my ass out in the dark.

Early mornings and late evenings, but at least I'll be able to mix it up and be mobile.

I got lucky and found a guy who is hunting the first two weeks up there, he's going to leave me an extra 10 gallons. Between that and using the cleanest water I can find to fill the shower every couple days, I think I'll be good to go.

Sounds like I'll actually be able to find filterable springs while I'm out and about as well.

Best of Luck, Jeff

20-Jul-16
Kinda cool info thread....

Keep in mind the input from Gun/Muzzy Road Hunters that go to Town for water/supplies though.

I think you will be just fine man.

Good luck, Robb

20-Jul-16
I filtered from large dirt tank in Gila wilderness last year and found that filters plug very quickly. take plenty extra...

• Sitka Gear