rocfish 19-Jul-16
GhostBird 19-Jul-16
DonVathome 19-Jul-16
Jaquomo 19-Jul-16
Lost Arra 20-Jul-16
Lost Arra 20-Jul-16
Smtn10PT 20-Jul-16
19-Jul-16
The eternal optimist in me thinks I might need a cooler to transport my frozen and packaged elk meat home on the plane. Are soft coolers such as Polar Bear 48 can coolers the best choice? I don't plan on bringing the entire elk back, just the choice cuts. The remainder will be shared by friends. Anyone use soft coolers for this? Any other alternative idea are welcome. Thanks!

19-Jul-16
We used a Yeti soft cooler to bring bear meat from Manitoba in June, made it just fine. No experience with other brands. I like your optimism.

19-Jul-16
Great idea works great, make sure you also use a GOOD plastic bag so no leakage (a dry bag works great). Wrap a jacket around it. I bring a lot of meat home in overhead bins!

19-Jul-16
Pick up a couple of inexpensive hard coolers at Wal Mart, duct tape them shut and write your contact info on the outside with black permanent marker.

I used to fly for business every week. After watching how baggage handlers carelessly fling stuff around, I'm not sure if trust a soft cooler for anything I care about.

+1 on bringing home meat in overhead bins as carry on. Three daypacks full of meat REALLY freaked out the TSA people at O'Hare, so be sure to have your hunting license with you when you take it through the xray machine.

20-Jul-16
Does anyone know if the luggage hold on an airliner is temperature controlled?

We brought 200lbs of frozen fish home from Alaska a few weeks ago in the typical waxed fish boxes. It made it just fine. I'm thinking that luggage at 30,000 feet stays frozen. Long layovers could be a problem though. We had 3 hours in Salt Lake City but the fish was still frozen upon arrival two hours later in Okla.

20-Jul-16
My wife just reminded me that pets are sometimes put in the checked luggage so at least part of the luggage area must be temperature controlled. Maybe our fish just stayed frozen without help from altitude.

20-Jul-16
Just freeze it solid and put it in your backpack. I've done it this was several times. One 50 lb bag of frozen meat in a duffel bag wrapped in my jacket, as much as I can stuff in my carry on bag. You don't need to have it in a cooler.

• Sitka Gear