Jaquomo 21-Jul-16
huntaholic 21-Jul-16
Glunt@work 21-Jul-16
Jaquomo 21-Jul-16
PistolPete 21-Jul-16
Jaquomo 21-Jul-16
Jaquomo 22-Jul-16
20-Jul-16
I do not know what to expect as far as weather. This is a 6 day pack in trip, DIY. I have hunted Wyoming many times but we are more in the 7500-10K range.

Just trying to put together a clothing system that will work but not be over kill. Any info would be great. Thanks!

20-Jul-16
Could be in for anything but more than likely lows in the 30-40s and highs in the 70's.

20-Jul-16
be prepared for a good thunderstorm to roll through with heavy lightning and winds. keep that in mind when setting up camp.

20-Jul-16
I usually hunt a week later at the same elevations in CO and it's usually still what otcWill stated, but you can't rule out the rouge snow storm and 20's for lows some nights.

20-Jul-16
Last year at 10K in my NoCo area it snowed on the 10th, temps dropped into the upper teens the next morning after it passed, and with 30+ mph wind the wind chill was around zero, maybe below. Trees were falling over in the wind. The day before it was t-shirt weather ahead of the storm.

20-Jul-16
Ha...This is going to be interesting. I have hunted many years in Wyoming. We have always driven out and had a pretty nice camp to work out of. I am really tearing my hair out trying to make sure I am prepared for this hunt and living out of a 35lb packback for 6 days. I don't know how you all do it!

20-Jul-16
35# backpack for 6 days?!?! Yikes your good.

20-Jul-16
Am I off? Seems like that was a target weight for a lot of people doing similar trips. We've got a heck of a climb to get where we want to be and of course would like to be as light as possible on the way up.

20-Jul-16

oldgoat's Link
Yes, 35#, you should be doing podcasts! You see what Juacomo wrote, I was hunting farther south in Colorado than him and we didn't get snow. We had snow on pikes peak last week, think it was more like the 14k feet area though! So you just never know! Have some layers including some good raingear and be prepared to wear them all and be prepared to hunt in your skivvies because it's too hot for any of the outer layers mid day. If you have a Delorme InReach you can get point weather forecasts for while you're in the field. And the NWS has a way to get point forecasts on their website from home or on your phone if you have a smart phone. If you have trouble figuring out the NWS, shoot me a PM and I'll help you out. I included a link for NWS, there is a map located part way down the page, with it you can hone in on a certain point to get a forecast for a specific location and elevation. The map can be toggled back and forth from a generic topo map to a satellite view and you can hone in on the exact spot you want to hunt! If the imbedded link doesn't work, cut and paste this:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=42.8864&lon=-78.8784#.V4-rF77nYtA

20-Jul-16
Hmmm... Well when I get my new pack I can't wait to do a practice load and see where I come in at. I thought 35 would be pretty obtainable but you all have me doubting myself now!

Oldgoat - Thanks for the link that is an awesome tool.

20-Jul-16
oldgoat, the funny thing about that storm was that I was sent some Primaloft and PolarTech outers to field test that would be more appropriate for November, but I had an end of September date for my report back to the company. They were in my base camp, just in case.

Got a great chance to test them under "winter" conditions, and boy was I happy to have them that morning!

20-Jul-16

Glunt@work's Link
35# is obtainable. If you are moving camp a lot or hunting with your all your gear, weight is a huge issue. If you are hiking in a few miles and setting up camp for a week, a little extra gear a food might be worth the weight.

Link is to a 27# list

21-Jul-16
First 2 answers tell you everything you need to know. You will see a storm or three & they could have alot of lightning & hail/sleet. You'll likely be cold in the mornings & very shortly after dark & burning up most of the day.

21-Jul-16
Sorry but I don't buy into the 30# pack for 7 days of hunting BS.

I'm there to hunt and kill a bull. I'm not there to starve my self, freeze my ass off, or limit my hunting methods because I don't have all the gear I should. Glunt's list does not include any hunting items....sorry but I'm not out for a hike. I'm going to kill an elk. My total "pack" weight is anything that is on my person that wouldn't be on a normal walk. Most normal people need a weapon, gps, kill kit, and many essentials off this "minimalist hiking list".

If you are on a true backpack in hunt for 7 days and not super familiar with what you are doing, don't skimp. I'd rather carry an extra 5# of gear and be comfortable and safe and able to spend my entire week in the wood then be cold, miserable, wet, unsafe, and have to return to the truck early.

Can you do a hunt on 30# for 7 days, sure if you really wanted to but it wouldn't be fun or enjoyable, especially if the conditions went South on the fun compass.

21-Jul-16
"I do not know what to expect as far as weather."

All of it.

Haven't read what the other guys have had to say, but I'll bet it's pretty much light layers that you can ... um... layer. One pair of boots that are waterproof & one pair that'll dry out quickly. Plenty of wool socks and put some hot rocks (wrapped in dry socks) in your boots at night to help dry them out. No, not Stupid Hot. That would be Stupid.

And of course, with the summer we're having, I'd expect any precipitation to be more rain and less snow. But don't bank on being permitted to build a fire. Got a feeling about that....

21-Jul-16
First 2 answers tell you everything you need to know. You will see a storm or three & they could have alot of lightning & hail/sleet. You'll likely be cold in the mornings & very shortly after dark & burning up most of the day.

21-Jul-16

PistolPete's Link
Here's my complete list; pack comes to 26 lbs including 6 days of food (1.5 lb per day, which I usually can't/don't eat all of) and a liter of water (average weight since I have a 2L bladder). Some gear is shared with my partner to get that light. My gear is dialed in and has never let me down in archery season up to 12k+.

Elkaddict, I have to disagree. I go ultralight because I want to be comfortable. I bivy hunt because carrying everything on my back is far and away the most effective way to kill elk on public OTC ground. This means that my gear has to be small and light, but also effective. I could carry 10-20 more pounds of comfort items, but I've found they end up working against me in the long run.

Pete

21-Jul-16
Pete to each their own. If I may ask "far and away the best way to kill an elk is with everything on your back" then far and away why is this the least used method?

Again to each their own, but you are in the minority here, far and away.

21-Jul-16
Because it's not easy! The most-used method must be the ones who make many OTC-unit archery kill statistics hover around 10-15%. I don't care to follow that crowd, thanks. I'd much rather be in the minority here. Far and away.

21-Jul-16
I'm not implying it's easy, but there are plenty of us out there who can do it, but elect not to.....actually many of the best known and unknown hunters out there hunt alternatively.

Good luck this fall.

21-Jul-16
PistolPete, not to diss your method because it's what you like to do, but by far the most successful public land hunters I know hunt from base camps, are highly mobile, and kill a LOT of elk.

I doubt Bigdan has ever done that, and he has over 60 bowkilled elk. Willieboat killed his 50th before his 50th birthday and I don't believe he's ever backpacked anywhere either. Elknut and his crew hunt this way, cnelk, me, wyobullshooter, Bowboy, etc. etc..

OTOH, the bivy/backpack guys I know mostly have fun backpack trips, meet up with lots of other friendly backpack hunters going "far and away", and occasionally kill an elk. They are the 10 percenters I know.

21-Jul-16
35# - 6 days... I do not have enough experience to say that will be obtainable BUT I imagine 7 days and 30#'s is a lot different than 6 and 35#.. Maybe?

21-Jul-16
For a week, my pack weight is closer to 50#. Thats for going in, setting it up once and hunting with a fanny pack from there. Thats heavy, but allows for some extra comfort.

We are finishing a friends cabin this summer. It may be a while before I backpack hunt for elk again. Backpacking is fun, but there's something to be said for heading out freshly showered after a night in a warm comfy bed and real breakfast.

21-Jul-16
I will add that OTCWill is an exception to my statement about backpack hunting vs mobile hunting. But for every Will I can name 10 others who backpack hunt, encounter other hunters regularly and have low success rates.

21-Jul-16
Hey Jaq - you do bring up a good point. Locals who have the ability to scout "easier" areas to hunt can certainly find elk in more accessible (or at least day-huntable) places. As an out-of-stater, though, I have to let hunters push elk to the hellholes where I can predictably find them. In the past few trips, I don't know that I've gone more than 24 hours without being into elk (e.g. within 100 yards, arrow on string), and even a drought of that long is extremely rare. I certainly don't claim to be the best elk hunter or elk killer, but I maintain that there is no better method to get on them!

Sorry, OP -- I see I've sidetracked your thread.

Best of luck to you all.

21-Jul-16
PistolPete, I think it's great that you've found those places and have the physical ability to not only get in there but to get elk out without them spoiling..

But for a newbie or a NR coming out to hunt relatively unfamiliar places, I'd rather see them be able to hit multiple spots over a couple hundred square miles than to plunge blindly into the wilderness at a trailhead, avoid all the other way-backers, maybe find an elk, and then get it out in good shape without spoiling.

Never mind the weather variables and elk vacating from pressure and being stuck on foot miles away. Do it while you can and do t tell anyone where your spots are!

22-Jul-16
Pete, I should add that all of my best spots in my new area were found in the ground during the season, based upon where other hunters are working, using maps and logic. The same thing can be done in the backcountry on foot, just on a more limited basis.

I get a ton of PMs and emails during this time of year, every year, and it's astounding how many NR hunters intend to backpack hunt into the same areas as the others, into wilderness spots where I know dozens of others are doing the same thing. They look very elky on GE, and it's "wilderness", so it must be great.

• Sitka Gear