Lost Arra 09-Aug-16
CurveBow 10-Aug-16
TX Cazador 10-Aug-16
Conus_Reaper 10-Aug-16
Mossyhorn 10-Aug-16
willliamtell 11-Aug-16
TD 11-Aug-16
20-Jul-16
I am looking for 2 kinds. One for my emergency gear pack where lightweight and small but strong is key (like kevlar rope).

Also one that is light and strong but not superthin - thicker for different use.

Thanks!

20-Jul-16
http://www.knotandrope.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=7

20-Jul-16
Para-cord. It comes in different diameters and strength and it does not rot. Shawn

20-Jul-16
Get on EBay and buy some Dyneema. Research the stuff, you will be amazed.

20-Jul-16
Paracord and/or some of the Spectra Dyneema backpacking cords.

I use the Superlight/thin stuff for my bear bag and other hold-m type things, then the Paracord for hanging quarters.

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/spectra_cord.shtml

Here is a good comparison site http://briangreen.net/2011/01/cord-weightstrengthcost-comparisons.html

20-Jul-16
"For all purpose usage, what lb Dyneema should a guy get?"

I bought 200' of 3/16". It should do anything I could ever ask of it.

20-Jul-16
A lot of people in Hawaii use mule tape. It what electricians use to pull wires through conduit. It has a 1200 lb strength, you can tow a car with it if need be. It has low friction so knots can be taken out of it easily

20-Jul-16
I got sick of paying through the nose every year for para cord and now I am using nylon decoy line. Works for my packing needs and its cheap

20-Jul-16
I use Paracord

20-Jul-16
They make a small rope to replace rope on UL tents that is also reflective. I think it is called Trip Tease and is good for 200# I think.

20-Jul-16
1.8mm cord with reflective tape. Easily found on eBay or Amazon.

20-Jul-16
Amsteel blue is the ticket.

20-Jul-16
Not that this topic hasn't been beat to death over the years on our BS----( a simple 'Search' )

Parachute Cord hands down----

Water resistant---stretch resistant---reminder for the clueless types...

Good luck Robb

20-Jul-16
Is any of this for climbing or other -critical- use?

If so, spend some money and get actual climbing rope. Go to an EMS or other store where they know what is safe to use. No place for scrimping.

21-Jul-16
Amsteel blue for dummy cording all my small stuff and emergency cordage

21-Jul-16
"Mule tape". The stuff they pull fiber optic cables through pipe. No way you'll find something stronger or lighter, that will do what you want.

21-Jul-16
Type III nylon (parachute) chord. The one with the black dashes is 550# strength. Is the gold standard

08-Aug-16
Amsteel blue. You could tie two bulls together by the neck and throw them over a branch like the bangers do with their sneakers in the hood. 50' weighs about an ounce.

Trip tease is great for anything from hanging meat to backup boot laces.

09-Aug-16
550 cord will do anything you need it to do. Don't leave home without it, ever.

09-Aug-16
Lots of reflective options here:

http://lawsonequipment.com/Ultraglide-Bear-Line-c148/

10-Aug-16
A buddy brought Fire Line (I think that was the name, I know that's fishing line too!) to a hunt in CO in 2013. Supposed to have like a 2,000 break strength, but much skinnier than paracord. Costly too!

>>>>-------->

10-Aug-16
Mule tape is a the way to go. It can be bought at your local Granger, or electric supply house. get a couple of your buddies to split the cost and buy aa spool of 3000' X 2500 lb.for about $140.00. Or when you see a telephone /cable placing crew on the side of the road working they problem will have some, it's funny what a 12 pack can get you.

10-Aug-16
550 paracord. I have seen a humvee tow another humvee using 550 cord.

For the thicker type I just buy the cheap 100ft rolls of cotton from Walmart. It's cheap, it can hold quite a bit in my experience (elk quarters hanging in a tree) and once you tie a knot in it it's not coming out.

10-Aug-16
Mule tape here too... Not sure how it stacks up against other stuff for weight but you can't break the stuff in the woods.

11-Aug-16
depends. Love dayglo para around camp but I sure wouldn't want to lower anything heavier/more critical than a backpack (such as yourself) with para. The skinny green stuff they sell at army surplus (technical term) for small lengths for hanging stuff onto your pack, etc. Real climbing rope if you might have to rapel (then again, if you are even thinking about that you should't have to ask the question). If you're going to tow, nothing that stretches - if it breaks it could take out an eye on the rebound.

Marine stores sell really bitchin ropes of various diameters that are strong, take/hold knots beautifully,and don't degrade in sun or salt water, a really harsh combo.

11-Aug-16
I pack mule tape (if I remember it's got a good bit of kevlar in it so it doesn't stretch much) and reflective cord they sell for tents and such. I don't think it was trip tease but similar.

Dyneema is awesome stuff. I think several bowstrings have some in them. I'm switching over all the starter cords on our equipment one by one to the marine dyneema rope, they use it in racing sailboats to replace the cable stays. It's been holding up 5 to 10 times better than the dedicated nylon starter rope. But.... it's a pain to deal with. About the only way to cleanly cut it is with a hot knife. Melts but solidifies almost as soon as off the heat, hard to "wipe" and make a clean end. And have to be real careful with knots, it's slippery.

• Sitka Gear