FAA_Support 25-Jul-16
wyobullshooter 25-Jul-16
Dyjack 25-Jul-16
Hunt all 25-Jul-16
Teeton 25-Jul-16
ScottTigert 25-Jul-16
joehunter 26-Jul-16
24-Jul-16
Hey guys I'm new to elk hunting and would like to learn how to use a diaphragm call. I have tried using some of the Wayne Carlson series and I totally sucked. Just wondering if there are any that are easy to learn. Thanks

24-Jul-16

BUGLELK's Link
Hunt all,

I'd recommend giving the All-Star or the Misstress a try from Bugling Bull. Both are very easy to use, and will make all elk sounds that you need to make. Like most hunting gear, it's important to find what works best for you, but those two calls are definitely going to be contenders.

Many thanks, Corey Jacobsen Elk101.com

24-Jul-16
I'm also a huge fan of the All Star & Mistress. But for a beginner caller I'd consider the Mellow Yellow reed. It has a softer latex which means it takes less tongue & less air pressure to activate & is a tad more user friendly, all are very good reeds but in my experience the yellow one gets the edge for a newer user! (grin) Good luck with your decision.

ElkNut1

24-Jul-16
I do a lot of turkey hunting and had the gag reflex every time I tried diaphragms. I literally kept the diaphragm in my mouth for extended time and had to do a lot of practice before I started getting the hang of it. It is really nice having your hands free while hunting..which often is an advantage. I also could do a lot of things/make different sounds that I couldn't do with other types of calls.

In regard to brands of calls....diaphragms are pretty cheap so try a few until you find one that works. I'm sure a lot of experts will chime in on this website to which brands work best for them. Also, take a look at website reviews.

24-Jul-16
Aaron, if you'd like to try a Mellow Yellow or other send me a PM & I'll hook you up with one. No problem & no charge!

ElkNut1

25-Jul-16
It seems like Primos diaphragms are the easiest to learn with, I've tried several different kinds and they were the quickest to get the basics down. That being said, once you've mastered using them, move on to Bugling Bull products. They have the best sounding calls on the market and by far the closest to natural sounds.

25-Jul-16
I'll 2nd both the All-Star and Mellow Yellow Mama. Not only are they extremely easy to use and sound awesome, they're incredibly durable as well. I tried countless diaphragms over the past 30+ yrs. Once I discovered those offered by Bugling Bull, I don't use anything else.

25-Jul-16
I learned with the primos starter pack, but will be picking up the all star from bugling bull for this season.

25-Jul-16
Elk nut, thanks pm sent

25-Jul-16
I can work a turkey call pretty good,, but have not mastered the elk diaphragm call. I going to try the mellow yellow to see if I can work it better.. They are out of stock right now.. Any word on how long before they are back in stock? Ed

25-Jul-16
Try bending the call just a little in the back of the call. Where the call isn't as flat as it was. I lay it on the edge of the table and just a little bend. It seams like it makes a better seal in the roof of my mouth. Makes the call easier and sounds better

26-Jul-16
"Once I discovered those offered by Bugling Bull, I don't use anything else" Wyobullshooter

Bingo! We have a winner!

• Sitka Gear