onX Maps
Blisters- How to avoid and how to treat?
Elk
Contributors to this thread:
Hunt98 12-Aug-16
oldgoat 12-Aug-16
WapitiBob 12-Aug-16
midwest 12-Aug-16
Old School 12-Aug-16
APauls 12-Aug-16
Darrell 12-Aug-16
ohiohunter 12-Aug-16
sticksender 12-Aug-16
Florida Mike 12-Aug-16
stealthycat 12-Aug-16
Cheesehead Mike 12-Aug-16
elkmtngear 12-Aug-16
Teeton 12-Aug-16
Ron Niziolek 12-Aug-16
cjgregory 12-Aug-16
APauls 12-Aug-16
Linecutter 12-Aug-16
IdyllwildArcher 12-Aug-16
Db1 12-Aug-16
JDM 12-Aug-16
elkivory 14-Aug-16
WapitiBob 14-Aug-16
bpctcb 14-Aug-16
Aaron Johnson 14-Aug-16
willliamtell 16-Aug-16
Will 16-Aug-16
Blacktail Bob 18-Aug-16
Deathmoan 18-Aug-16
Owl 18-Aug-16
jdee 18-Aug-16
Double Creek 19-Aug-16
12-Aug-16
Assuming that you have the right boots/shoes.

What's your tips or tricks do you have for not getting blisters on your feet?

If you do get blisters on your feet, what's the best way to treat them (to keep them from getting worse)?

12-Aug-16
I don't think I've had a blister since I started buying good socks. Best treatment i ever did was on an unpopped blister, I used finger nail clippers and made a small hole in blister, drained it, and then had a tube of antibiotic ointment that had a skinny tip and put the tip in the hole and squeezed a bunch of antibiotic in it. The blister healed amazingly quick and didn't hurt the rest of the trip.

12-Aug-16
I haven't had a blister in decades.

A, keep your foot from moving in the boot.

B, if you have a stiff boot there may be slight movement you can't eliminate, usually heel lift. A strip of gorilla tape will prevent friction to the skin and is thin enough to not compound the problem. Leukotape also works and may be better.

C, if you start getting a hot spot, stop and correct it; tape, dry the feet out, fresh socks, whatever it takes.

12-Aug-16
Everyone should have Leukotape in their pack.

12-Aug-16
So - do you use Leukotape as a preventative measure or is this something you apply after you start to feel a problem? Thanks for starting this thread - very helpful topic.

--Mitch

12-Aug-16
I had some defective rubber boots on my caribou trip last fall led to a ridge inside against my heel and created a massive blister. Had to swap over to hiking boots and being water logged all day. Anyways, made for a terrible situation. Duct tape on my heels saved my life. We walked to to 35 km / day and I was taking my socks off periodically after 9 am to squeeze the water out...then I just gave up. So my feet were soggy all day. I credit the fact that I could enjoy the hunt to Duct tape and my Darn Tough socks.

12-Aug-16
Duct tape is amazing. I have a wide foot, high arch and narrow heel. So, even with custom orthotics my heels slip so I have always fought blisters. 20 years ago, I started putting duct tape on my heel before I put on my socks and I have not had a single blister when I have taped. I have had a few when I thought I could get away without it but never with duct tape on my heel.

12-Aug-16
How do you keep the duct tape adhesive from becoming embedded into your nice expensive socks?

12-Aug-16
WapitiBob covered it well. One other suggestion is to keep your feet dry as possible by wearing the appropriate boot and sock combination to run cooler feet. And if needed, take breaks from time to time to remove boots/socks to cool and air-dry all.

12-Aug-16
Doesn't matter if the adhesive gets embedded in your sock; you still don't get a blister. I hope they have duct tape in heaven...

12-Aug-16
use your choice of hunting shoes/boots way in advance and condition your feet

non=-abrasive socks

12-Aug-16
Rubbing Vaseline into your feet will help prevent blisters or help treat a "hotspot".

I've also never had a blister since I switched to Smartwool socks.

12-Aug-16
Poly sock liners under my Smartwool socks have solved the problem for me.

Best of Luck, Jeff

12-Aug-16

Teeton's Link
I wear these under my socks they will hunt a great deal with preventing blisters.. But always be prepared for blisters. Here's a link.

Ed

http://www.backcountry.com/injinji-liner-coolmax-crew-toe-sock?CMP_SKU=INJ000A&MER=0406&skid=INJ000A-HEGY-M&CMP_ID=PLA_GOc001&mv_pc=r101&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PLA&mr:trackingCode=E5C9A5CC-60B5-E311-9C6B-BC305BF82376&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=plaonline&gclid=Cj0KEQjw57W9BRDM9_a-2vWJ68EBEiQAwPNFK6u87opQ_zVWMw3vtkNX5bX5qjDkcUdbthEuQ6OJHkwaAiKd8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

12-Aug-16
Duct tape. I have bone spurs which usually cause hot spots every year. I carry 3 feet +- of duct tape wrapped around the 4" of cut-off arrow and tape my feet at the first sign of a hot spot.

12-Aug-16

cjgregory's embedded Photo
cjgregory's embedded Photo
I agree with coolmax socks. Haven't had a blister since.

Friction causes blisters. When you have friction you get hot spots. Even in wet situations.

I treat hot spots with moleskin which works like the duct tape.

Nobody knows blisters like a Marine grunt. The added weight of gear and body armor increases the friction on your feet. The lighter you travel the less chance of blisters.

The angle of ascent or descent can cause friction as well.

How fast you walk can also be a factor as it can increase friction.

The real danger of having wet feet, is that an entire callus region can soften and lift right off. This is a brutal experience. I had a PFC have it happen to him before due to wet socks and I got my arse chewed to no end for not checking his feet. I assumed the corpsman was checking, only he was a boot too. Once a callus region softens you are in some serious trouble until you get your feet dry.

12-Aug-16
"How do you keep the duct tape adhesive from becoming embedded into your nice expensive socks?"

I just put new duct tape on every day and it wasn't a problem. One time tried to reuse and some came off in the sock. One sock I was picky and just picked the adhesive out. One sock I wasn't as picky and after I washed that sock it is quite stuck in there, so I would recommend if some DOES come off in the sock just pick it out.

12-Aug-16
Dr. Scholl's Moleskin, nothing better to prevent or to help cover the area being irritated. Pretty much what it was made for. Cut it bigger than the area being affected. If there is a blister already started, cut the sticky tabs off a bandaid (leave just enough to hold the gauze part in place) lay that over the blister and cover the whole area with a over sized cut of Moleskin. DANNY

12-Aug-16
Wear your boots more. Walk in them a couple miles a day 3-4 times a week for 2 months before your hunt and you won't get blisters.

You get blisters on your hands when swinging a hammer if you type on a keyboard at work. The framer never gets a blister because his hands are used to swinging a hammer.

If your feet are used to sandals and tennis shoes, then they're not going to be able to hold up to boots+mountains.

If you do start getting a hot spot, do treat it right away with mole skin or tape, but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

12-Aug-16
Duct tape doesn't breathe and will work for emergency. But I always use medical/surgical (not the cloth tape) tape that breathes on my heals with a thin pair and then a medium pair of merino wool socks. Have heal Spurs and used to get blisters all the time..now never get them. Good boots are 90% of solution. Sometimes I'll use medical glue to keep tape in place too.

12-Aug-16
To help keep my feet dry from sweat, I use either or both foot powder and stick antiperspirant. Seems to help.

14-Aug-16
I went to the shoe store and had them measure my feet to double check for proper fit. Bought the right size boot, then checked my arch for fit at a local shoe store and bought the right insoles. Finally, I got some sock liners. The liners go on first then your socks over the liners. All of this makes for a properly fit boot, liner, sock. The liners drastically cut down on hot spots. I have never had a problem with my feet using this system.

14-Aug-16
If you use duct tape, you try black gorilla tape. I found it to stick much better.

14-Aug-16
I use the Leukotape P on my problem areas (heels) before the start of my hunt. One application will last the whole hunt whereas duct may only last one day.

BP

14-Aug-16
Leukotape as Midwest pointed out.

16-Aug-16
If you have the right boots/shoes you shouldn't get any blisters. If you don't, you should know all the vulnerable areas well before the season through prehikes with weight. If you get a hotspot, stop immediately and tape up. I use GOOD medical tape (it has to stick well). Heels and toes are usual culprits. Thereafter, pretape before you go out. Inner socks let any slide and friction occur between the inner and outer sock, not on your skin.

Btw, that was a DISGUSTING heel blister pic. I suppose if people are actively trying to kill you you can't stop for 5 minute to tape up.

16-Aug-16
I use mole skin

18-Aug-16
Really, duck tape and super glue is all you need in a first aid kit.

18-Aug-16
Marino wool liner socks. Two socks soak the friction instead of your skin. It's a foot saver. Guiding for almost 20 years. One blister when my boot failed.

18-Aug-16
Figure a way to train at the grade you'll be hunting. It does little good to break in boots at a relatively flat grade and then hunt at a much steeper incline. The pressure points change and your feet will let you know where the new hot spots are.:) Beyond that keep your feet dry with good socks (as mentioned above) and always bring duct tape or moleskin.

18-Aug-16
Tape !!

19-Aug-16
First and foremost for me, I make sure I get my boots as tight as possible and I re-tie them throughout the day as they loosen up. Check youtube for some lacing ideas that will lock your heel in.

I also put Leukotape on before the hunt starts. It will usually last a few days or more before I need to replace it.

I also wear a very thin merino liner under Darn Tough socks.

I haven't had a problem since going through these steps.

• Sitka Gear