IdyllwildArcher 16-Aug-16
ohiohunter 16-Aug-16
warthog 17-Aug-16
Jaquomo 17-Aug-16
Salt 17-Aug-16
ELKMAN 17-Aug-16
ohiohunter 17-Aug-16
15-Aug-16
Look at where the arrow is going to go... I see guys too often take a shot like this and put it too far behind the front shoulder, thus not hitting all the vitals.. I'd take this shot putting my arrow right through the shoulder hopefully taking some lung on the way out the other side

15-Aug-16

Mad_Angler's embedded Photo
20 yards or under, shoot red dot.

more than 20 yards, wait for a better angle.

15-Aug-16
It's a better shot if that left front leg is forward. You can aim quite a bit farther forward than MadAngler's red dot in that case.

15-Aug-16
I'd be at full draw, aiming and waiting for him to turn. Bad things can happen when you shoot behind the near side leg and it's in the back position.

I'd be aiming about 3" up and left of Mad's dot.

15-Aug-16

IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
I also think that MadAngler's humerus is a angled up too much. I see the bones a little more like this.

Maybe angle that humerus up just a tad. I'm really bad at drawing, much less with a lap top mouse. I think that elk, since he's bending over, is bringing his humerus down with him a little. If you look at the unpainted elk in the first photo, you can see the outline of the bony/muscular structures.

15-Aug-16
Good to go MadAngler

15-Aug-16
He may be dieting, but he must be 8 mos. pregnant.

15-Aug-16
He's just an old fart and some of us take on a little bulge around the middle when we start to age.....................

15-Aug-16

I'd try to put it in the ten ring...

15-Aug-16
That first bull I would wait for a better shot angle.

The second bull arrows in the air.

15-Aug-16
Id kill both, first elk is a 20 yarder and under

15-Aug-16
Everyone aims too low in my opinion on game animals. Why aim at the heart and allow no margin for error if you are low. If you aim in the middle of the lungs on the elk, you allow maximum error high or low and higher success on harvesting your animal.

I know the reason is the animal will take off at the sound and lowers his center and thus aiming low. I have harvested lots of elk with a bow and have never had that happen. Just my opinion.

15-Aug-16
Learn where to hit them, be proficient enough to get it done.

photo IMG_3248_zpsyjac8lbq.jpg

photo IMG_1076_zpsuqlnkf0j.jpg

15-Aug-16
To those willing to take that first shot, keep in mind a single lung hit on an elk is a bad hit. Don't "hope" you catch the far lung, if you don't know your are going to get it, you shouldn't be taking the shot.

I have no idea why shot selection has gotten so bad the last few years. Have some respect.

15-Aug-16
Is that bull gut shot almost in the loin?

16-Aug-16
It's not way back, i figured liver and too high to get any real blood. The hole is right above the third point. Talked to a guy a cpl hundred yards from this bull that said his partner lost one and so did he. His was a 6x and was "ok". He shot his maybe a mile from where we found this one. We found a cow not very far away as well. Archery success rates would jump dbl digits if people could shoot.

16-Aug-16
"Archery success rates would jump dbl digits if people could shoot."

I agree, but I think a lot of it is people falling apart at the shot, more so than people's raw lack of archery talent.

16-Aug-16
Or be more patient. Sometimes even the easiest shots can be nerve racking, but 2 lost animals between 2 hunters sounds like terrible luck or the type of people who think "just get an arrow in him". When the adrenalin is flowing the brain stops thinking and the trigger finger gets antsy.

17-Aug-16
"middle of the front third"

17-Aug-16
This is a good thread. I bet 99% of bowhunters would take the shot on the first bull, and more than half would hit him too far back.

17-Aug-16
I agree 100% with Jaquomo. I took that shot and hit one too far back. I recoveered the bull , but it was a long recovery.

17-Aug-16
Here's the "ACTUAL ANSWER" is: Wait for him to take a step and he's open for business. You guys scare me. I'm guessing there are A LOT of sleepless nights in your camps...

17-Aug-16

ohiohunter's embedded Photo
ohiohunter's embedded Photo
This one was so close I got him w/ my pocket sword.

• Sitka Gear