huntabsarokee 16-Aug-16
ohiohunter 16-Aug-16
Beendare 16-Aug-16
HUNT MAN 17-Aug-16
ohiohunter 17-Aug-16
Matt 18-Aug-16
oldgoat 18-Aug-16
16-Aug-16
Multipurpose tarp for carrying in a daypack.

If any, what size and type of multipurpose (rain/snow shelter, field butcher or ??) tarp do you carry in your daypack?

16-Aug-16
I don't carry a tarp in my daypack. I have found it to take up too much room and adds weight. I use the skin of the animal to protect the meat from the ground before it's either hung up or bagged. I do carry an emergency poncho and a few lightweight clear trash bags for an emergency shelter or quick rain gear. Also, placing the meat on a tarp in the field will make it slide around like it's on an ice rink. Unless it's on flat ground and we all know how often an animal dies on flat ground. lol If you are at your vehicle or at camp then a good double sided tarp is a good way to keep meat clean.

16-Aug-16
I carry a 5x7 sil tarp. It weighs only ounces. I use it to cover my gear during bad weather or overnight.

Like butcherboy, I use the hide to keep meat clean. For deboning, I grab some painter's plastic (From the truck) after my first meat hauling trip out.

16-Aug-16
I use a sheet of painters plastic, folded up in the packaging its about 4" x 6" x 1/4" and a couple oz iv used it to lay meat on, keep things dry, and to help stay alive when we stayed on the blood trail far to long and ended up staying on the mtn over night, in late November in co.

16-Aug-16
If its not a burden I usually take along a tarp. It worked out great as I broke down my girlfriends bull while she deboned on the tarp. The skin thing works, but I've found it on the small slippery side especially when working alone on a slope.

I'm thinking about picking up some tyvek.

16-Aug-16
yes, I pack the Cabela's space blanket, 12 oz, 84X60 inch. Red or green.

Good in a rain or snow storm to keep one dry. I use it to take a nap on a cool day. Use it as a dry table to lay out the boned out meat. The reflective side keeps the heat in and the red side is good for an emergency. Use it as a ground cloth under your sleeping bag.

$16. a good deal

my best, Paul

16-Aug-16
6x8 foot. The nice thing about that size is it'll go over most tents in case of biblical proportion deluge.

16-Aug-16
I pack tyvek for a small tarp at camp. It is extremely light and packable but loud. Usually use it to just keep gear dry outside my tent. I leave the quarters hanging in the tree while I debone while leaving the calf muscle attached until time to bag, it lets the meat air out well this way

16-Aug-16
Double-sized space blanket (for "survival situations")

Weighs next to nothing, and packs down to the size of a McDonalds Apple Pie.

I've never used it for weather, because I always have my decoy/umbrella. It's great for a clean surface to take a bull apart, though!

Best of Luck, Jeff

16-Aug-16
I have a 6x8 silnylon tarp that weighs very little and I sometimes pack it.

Ditto on the Tyvek too. If you throw it in the dryer with a tennis shoe and tumble it on low heat it will soften up and quiet down.

16-Aug-16
Where do you get Tyvek sheets?

16-Aug-16
I got some of mine from a home builder and some from a friend who had a big role of it.

You might be able to buy some at a lumber yard or find a home builder and ask if you can buy a chunk off of his roll.

16-Aug-16
I have a small sil nylon tarp I carry in my kill kit. Its about 5 x 5 and has tie offs so I can use it as a roof between trees if it rains. Last year I used it to lay my meat on while butchering. I then tied it about 4 ft off the ground to make a lean to roof to protect the meat from rain and sun as I carried meat back to camp. Only problem with this type of tarp is its slippery when wet.

16-Aug-16
Ebay.

16-Aug-16
Tyvek is sold at Home depot in small/big rolls

i used to carry a small 6x8 chunk of Silnylon but now carry a Golite poncho...its more versatile, IMO.

17-Aug-16
Pm me your address and I will send you a piece.

Been using it for years comes in handy for a lot of stuff

17-Aug-16
Well dang, I would've much rather fund you than some random ebayer.

18-Aug-16
You can find useful sizes of Tyvek on Ebay for cheap.

18-Aug-16

oldgoat's embedded Photo
oldgoat's embedded Photo
Tyvek isn't noisy if you wash it, don't need soap or anything, just wash and hang to dry. I have one of those mylar emergency blankets for placing meat on If the location allows, ways less than an ounce I think. I have a Jimmys Tarps SilNylon tarp I'll carry for shade or rain, it's feather light and utilizes walking stick.

• Sitka Gear