idacurt 18-Aug-16
cnelk 18-Aug-16
Rob in VT 18-Aug-16
Buffalo1 18-Aug-16
Jethro 19-Aug-16
Ermine 19-Aug-16
bowriter 19-Aug-16
16-Aug-16
I bought a pair of Meindl Ultralight Hunter boots.

What's the best product to use for waterproofing? Can that be used on both the leather and non leather material of the boots?

Laces- the laces that came with the boot are kind of short for my liking. I'm looking to replace the laces.

Is there a preferable lace over others?

16-Aug-16
Search for leaking boots- proper care in posts.

Check out Lowas website.

Scar.

16-Aug-16
I used the Red Wing Natur seal liquid formula on my Meindl boots and I walked through water in MI upper penensula this weekend and my feet were bone dry when I took off my boots.

17-Aug-16
Cabelas sells laces by Meindl for their boots. I believe 3 sizes to choose from.

17-Aug-16
Obenaufs for me on all my leather goods. Haven't had a boot leak yet with proper care and Obenaufs LP treatment.

17-Aug-16
Is Obenauf's better than Nikkwax?

17-Aug-16
My take on obenauf's vs nikwax..

First Nikwax I don't think has any bees wax in it.

Now I've used both and here is why I use nikwax now.

In 2009 elk hunting in Co it rain just about every day where we hunted. All of our boots got wet I was using ob-wax at that time. 2 guy where using ni-wax. Maybe from just water coming down our pant legs. The thing that I notice was the guys that used nikwax boots dried faster than mine. So I started using nikwax and feel that my boots one breed I believe better and 2 dry quicker when wet. I think they both (nikwax and Ob-wax) keep my boots dry. I believe that the wax that help keep my boots dry also help keep water that gets into your boot in the boot. Think about it, if it keeps water out if water gets in,, would it not help keep it in. Also with the bee's wax proof I see dirt get stuck to the wax and more so in the folds that you get in the leather after being broke in. I believe that puts wear on the leather where the wax has dirt stuck to it. I only use 100% leather boots as I think it keep my feet the driest.

Ed

17-Aug-16
Two more things,, I don't believe Nikwax will work well on boots that already have bee's wax on them. 2,, I always get my boots as wet as I can (like walk in wet grass) then take and wash them with water and a brush. Then put the Nikwax on when wet, he leather pores are opened then and it soaks up the nixwax better. I did the same thing putting Ob-wax on also.

Ed

18-Aug-16
For leather nothing beats snow seal. For none leather I do not know. I just go with wool socks and jungle boots, feet get wet, feet get dry, feet breath. Sealed boots means feet seat, get wet, stay wet= foot problems.

18-Aug-16
Just discovered this and by far, the best waterproofing and conditioner I have ever used URAD Total Leather Care. Costly about $22 for a small jar. But you use so little,it will do several pair of LEATHER boots and last a couple years. Do not use on synthetics or suedes. Don't know where you can get it. I got mine at the National Junior High School Rodeo Finals. Here is a contact number 877/750-9142. I have used about everything from mink oil to beeswax and this beats them all.

18-Aug-16
I wear these boots all the time. If they leak before the end of two years, I bring them back to Cabela's and they replace them. If they last two years, I figure I've got my money out of them and to be fair to Cabela's I just buy another pair. The ones that leak I take to Arizona where it doesn't matter.

I just did this a few weeks ago with a pair I had at the cabin in Whale Pass. Brought them to the store in Anchorage and they gave me a new pair.

18-Aug-16
"What's the best product to use for waterproofing?"

When you find one let me know.

Been thru a bunch and am trying Grangers boot wax now.

18-Aug-16
Was a SnoSeal guy. Now I am an Obenauf LP guy.

18-Aug-16
Foggy Mountain Bear Grease, none better!! It is out of Maine and it is Bear fat mixed with bees wax. Shawn

18-Aug-16
Most of the products are just Bees Wax and Boiled Linseed oil. Easy to make for pennies

18-Aug-16
Obenauf's has always worked great for me.

18-Aug-16
Obenaufs for me too

These are my daily work boots that turn into my hunting boots each fall

Before and after coating with Obenaufs.

photo lacrosse1_zpssddcnbbv.jpeg

photo lacrosse2_zpsngeg2lbv.jpeg

18-Aug-16
I prefer Sno-Seal.

18-Aug-16
I have learned from my African experiences that leather laces trumps every other product because leather with not pick up thorns and briars like non-leather laces. Thorns and briars can ruin your day when lacing up boots.

My leather boot string source is Schnee's - Bozeman, Montana.

I liquify mink oil and rub it into the leather with cotton balls to waterproof. I've always had good success with this method.

19-Aug-16
I just switched back to Sno-Seal from Obenaufs. Did not feel Obenaufs preserved the leather as well and developed lots of small cracks in leather.

19-Aug-16
I like sno seal

19-Aug-16
This morning, I took a pair of boots I won at a rodeo in Bozeman in 1970, and treated them with URAD. I couldn't believe how great they looked and felt. This URAD is magic and no, I don't have any connection with them at all, never heard of them before.

• Sitka Gear