Cheesehead Mike 02-Sep-16
buckfevered 02-Sep-16
ben h 02-Sep-16
Tonybear61 02-Sep-16
Elkman52 03-Sep-16
Dwayne 04-Sep-16
Fuzzy 06-Sep-16
17-Aug-16
Zinc stearate works great and is probably in the bottles you can buy. You can get it from this source, 2oz. for about $7.00, https://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Chalk-MM102-Powder-2-Ounces/dp/B001761I5M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1471455844&sr=8-2&keywords=zinc+stearate. This is enough to last many seasons.

17-Aug-16
Yep milkweed for me, walk into back yard and done.

17-Aug-16
I've never seen milk weed where I elk hunt, I'm not going to introduce it to there either.

17-Aug-16
https://www.amazon.com/Top-Flite-Microballoons-Filler-8-Ounce/dp/B0015H1FDI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471472541&sr=8-1&keywords=microballoons+filler

This is what I like, doesn't attract moisture!

17-Aug-16
Ditto both posts oldgoat.

Microballoons is where it's at :o)

17-Aug-16
If you still have a bottle use baking soda

17-Aug-16
Thanks for the reminder, oldgoat, I just ordered.

17-Aug-16
Fire extinguisher powder

17-Aug-16
Cotton . Forrest

17-Aug-16
Me too Midwest

17-Aug-16
Oldgoat - Like KC said, you just use the floss, not the seeds. No seeds to be introduced. Milkweed seeds are not like dandelion seeds. They're much larger and brown. Very easy to separate out.

I'm not planting milkweed anywhere.

17-Aug-16
Milkweed has been in Colorado for along time. No one would be introducing it.

18-Aug-16
I know, we got tons of it in the front range,i have some in my bowcase for whitetail hunting, but not using it in the mountains, cause I'm not going to the pain of separating the seeds from the fluff

18-Aug-16
I refill my bottle with corn starch. I have milkweed in my bino harness pocket...stuff is getting scarce in PA. The farmers all use Roundup.

18-Aug-16
Big bottle of baby powder and any old eye drops bottle and you have a long supply for a few bucks.

19-Aug-16
Really? Once I have a couple grand into it I don't balk at whatever the cost of Smoke In A Bottle is. It works better than talc and other powders. It's literally like smoke.

19-Aug-16
Goggle "smoke in a bottle". Not sure if that's the actual name of this stuff but I'll check when I get home. Pretty good stuff. You shake the bottle and when you open the top, very slight wisp comes out and detects the slightest air movement. Looks just like smoke but no smell to it.

19-Aug-16

Goggle "smoke in a bottle". Not sure if that's the actual name of this stuff but I'll check when I get home. Pretty good stuff. You shake the bottle and when you open the top, very slight wisp comes out and detects the slightest air movement. Looks just like smoke but no smell to it.

BC, it looks like zinc stearate to me.

19-Aug-16
Why not just use a natural or masking scent in a spray bottle? Seems like a good idea to send something like that downwind instead of a powder or something...

19-Aug-16
Does anyone use chalk powder that is used for running a chalkline? Get it in any hardware section.

19-Aug-16
No powder I've every tried compares to Microballoons. I'm fairly certain this is the powder that smoke in bottle uses.

It's far, far, lighter than chalk, talcum, baking powder or any other item noted previously.

19-Aug-16
I take a block of gym chalk, powder it through a screen and refill my puffer bottles. Works better then cornstarch, baking powder, or soda. It has the closest properties I have found to "smoke in a bottle". Light and odorless.

19-Aug-16
Don't need it with HECS and Ozonics

19-Aug-16
chalk is a great idea.

02-Sep-16
Microballons

02-Sep-16
Bic lighter for me

02-Sep-16
HDE,

The reason for a windchecker is to see which way the wind/thermals are going so you can stay downwind of the animal and not be detected.

It probably doesn't matter if the powder is not a natural scent or a masking scent because if an elk or deer is downwind of you they're going to smell you and no masking scent is going to cover the human scent...

02-Sep-16
My issue is, all the powders usually only tells what the wind is for feet not yards. I use the milkweed fuzz stored in one of the old rubber coin pouches. Too often, I have seen one leave in one direction, float 30-40 ft, then turn and go in a different direction. One milkweed pod, deseeded watching a football game, will last several years.

02-Sep-16
Ditto Stoneman. This year while packing I realized I did not buy another "smoke in a bottle" but I did have a bag of climbing chalk, so I used that. Mine didn't work as well as the smoke, because of some clumps in my chalk; screening would definitely help with that, but it works pretty good. On a puff by puff basis it takes more chalk to make the smoke effect.

02-Sep-16
Tape or tie a single thread about 6-7 inches long on your bow limb.

Will tell you what it happening right at your position.

Also can TP and few shrubs or even use orange thread. You will be surprised how well you can see it at bowhunting ranges.

03-Sep-16
Home Depot has extra fine chalk for chalk line 3 bucks for a big bottle

04-Sep-16
I don't waste my time with powders or anything that only gives me the wind direction where I am standing. As others have mentioned the wind and thermals do some strange things after leaving where you happen to be. In fact, I get a kick out of the videos showing someone giving a shot of a powder in the air and watching which way the puff moves. In many videos they must be using it for video fill because the wind looks strong enough to nearly blow the hunter over.

Milk weed or the artificial product called Windfloaters is the way to go. Amazon carries the Windfloaters. I have sometimes watched the Windfloaters move one direction from my stand and take a 90 degree turn out 10 yards or so and drift off in that direction. If you give it a try I bet you won't use a powder again.

06-Sep-16
I use chalkline chalk

• Sitka Gear