shortstop 23-Aug-16
WV Mountaineer 23-Aug-16
Bowfreak 23-Aug-16
midwest 23-Aug-16
18-Aug-16

Big Fin's embedded Photo
Big Fin's embedded Photo

Big Fin's Link
Last season I was lucky to have a great friend, Corey Jacobsen, join me in Montana for an archery elk hunt in one of my favorite backyard areas of SW Montana.

Corey might say he joined me for a grouse hunt. I'll let you decide.

This was as much fun as I can recall having in five days of archery elk hunting. We probably could have produced a second episode on this hunt, given the number of encounters we had. Or, maybe do one as a grouse episode.

There have been threads on Bowsite recently about hunting in grizzly country. This hunt was in the core of grizzly country and it was surprising how few hunters we saw for a public land general unit in the peak of the elk rut. I attribute some of that to people not feeling comfortable in grizzly country, and given the two close encounters I've had in this exact area, I can understand that feeling. Last time I had a close encounter, it took two seasons before I dared push my luck and go back to that drainage.

As much as we all try our best to fill our tag and sometimes we pressure ourselves, this hunt was all about the fun. I always try to put one hunt on the schedule where I know it will be all smiles, no matter the outcome. This was one of those hunts.

Thanks Corey. Enjoyed the heck out of it. And very excited to continue our adventure in New Mexico next month.

Hope you enjoy this public land archery elk hunt at the link above.

18-Aug-16
Watched it, enjoyed it.

18-Aug-16
I watched it, very good, great episode!

18-Aug-16
Randy,

Outstanding video .... again .... that's the 3rd time I've watched it .... and I'm going to watch it a few more times, each time I "learn" a little bit more about the sounds Cory is making.

I truly enjoy watching a video and not have to listen to music so loud that I can't hear what the hunters are saying ...THANK YOU!!! **the "CC's" were spot on when you were whispering**

Oh, I agree, as a fellow Minnesotan who grew up hunting grouse with my dads single shot 410 - man I'm smiling right now - nothing better than grouse in a white sauce.

19-Aug-16

Big Fin's Link
Here's a link to the two-minute grouse episode.

19-Aug-16
That was a lot of fun to watch! Reminded me of my younger days growing up and hunting grouse with my bow after school in Bemidji! Thanks!

19-Aug-16
By far the best wild game bird on the market!

19-Aug-16
Love it!

19-Aug-16
Those "hunt for the fun of the hunt" hunts are always a blast. They truly are where most memories are made. But they also wouldn't be as fun as they are if we didn't have the hunts where we push ourselves for a certain result. Great episode, I got half way through last night before I had to go to bed. Will finish today!

19-Aug-16
Nothing get's me going more than stopping to slip the fresh grouse lunch in the pack- and hearing a bugle 200 yds ahead. Definitely a : been there, done that, please God let it repeat moment.

19-Aug-16
I well understand your 2 year hiatus from that area due to bearanoia. Grizzlies can really mess with feeling comfortable in the timber. Our area has a lot of bears and when you lay your eyes on one, and realize how big they are, it can suck the fun right out of elk hunting. Saw one last week while scouting, big boar, and it put the hair up on the back of my neck the rest of the day. Beautiful animals, but...

Really enjoyed the video. You don't always have to get an animal to have a successful and fun hunt. Best of luck in New Mexico. Hope you guys get a good one, or two!

19-Aug-16
Great video Randy ! I would probably mess my elk hunt up to shoot those grouse !

19-Aug-16
Two years ago we were set up on a meadow during archery season. No elk had come in for hours, and shooting light was almost done. A bunch of grouse cruised in front of me, so I thought "what the heck?" and went after them. My arrow just grazed across a grouse head and stuck in a rotten log on the edge of the trees. As I went to yank my arrow out my buddy whispered "FREEZE". I looked up and there was a big bull standing about 50 yards away and scanning the trees for whatever made the big thump (my arrow). If those dang grouse hadn't walked in front of me I likely would have had a crack at the elk...dang those grouse...

20-Aug-16
Watched it a few days ago Randy! Great video as always. Looking at the size of those paw prints I'm glad we don't have grizz here in Colorado. I guess I would still hunt in grizz country if I had to, assuming of course I could out run my hunting partner! Which brings up the question: Who's faster? You or Corey? :-)

21-Aug-16

KJC's embedded Photo
KJC's embedded Photo
I always have a grouse arrow in my quiver too!

21-Aug-16
Grouse season starts sept 1 in Colorado. Don't forget!

21-Aug-16
I've hunted in grizz country in Wyoming....never felt at ease.

That said, I'm the guy you wanna hunt with...64 years with left knee replaced...NOBODY would have a problem out running me :^)

21-Aug-16
Great video with a couple of really good guys it would be fun to tag along with! Good luck on your next adventure men. I'm psyched for Sept in the mountains now!

21-Aug-16
Ground busting grouse with a shotgun.......were you really that hungry? I guess so.

21-Aug-16

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo

21-Aug-16

I cut off the head, wings, and lower legs prior to gutting, then place a stick into the cavity.

I do not pluck off the feathers but burn them off over the open fire. This crust along with the skin on, provides an oven-like environment, to keep in the moisture.

Turn the bird over hot coals until done. May take 30- 45 minutes depending on the heat of the fire.

Tear off the skin, add some salt, and enjoy.

my best, Paul

21-Aug-16
Great stuff, Randy!

23-Aug-16
Are there grouse in SW Colorado?

At what elevation are they typically at?

23-Aug-16
A number of years ago, my buddies and I shot one. I think we cooked it over the open fire........about five times and never did get it tender enough to chew without taking the ridges off your teeth!

23-Aug-16
"Ground busting grouse with a shotgun.......were you really that hungry? I guess so."

Ever hunt Ontario or some parts of Northern Minnesota? I guess not. I suppose you also wait for your deer to run and your bears to charge, huh? Grouse are too damn good to pass 'em up if they're too stubborn to fly. But that's coming from someone who caught and ate a brookie caught on a nightcrawler. GASP!!!

23-Aug-16
Hunt98, yes. 5000 to 8000 IMO

23-Aug-16
I loved it.

God Bless men

23-Aug-16
Ignore Purdue. He is a PETA sympathizer.

23-Aug-16
That guy could brighten up a room just by leaving it.

• Sitka Gear