Jaquomo 23-Aug-16
BULELK1 23-Aug-16
Thunder Head 23-Aug-16
flybyjohn 23-Aug-16
AZBUGLER 23-Aug-16
LINK 23-Aug-16
jcneng 23-Aug-16
22-Aug-16
I drew a limited entry tag this year and it has made put a little more thought into field judging elk. I see guys throw around pope and young scores of 260, 280, 300 plus but I'm not certain I can easily tell the difference in the field. Any suggestions, tips or photos on how best to judge them? I'm going for the experience and will enjoy myself either way.

22-Aug-16
Most of those 260, 280, and 300's that are thrown around are 220, 240, and 260's in all actuality. In other words, take it with a grain of salt.

First thing I do is look at the points behind the 4th's. Next, I look at the fronts, 3rd's, mass, and tine length. That's on the rare occasion I have time to really size him up. Most times I just decide "shooter or non- shooter" and let the score fall where it may.

When you see a truly big bull, there will be NO doubt in your mind that he's a truly big bull.

23-Aug-16
I agree with WYO, it's amazing how many inches guys add. It's tough to ever be even close to accurate until you actually get a tape on them in real life. Some Texas stiff arms and creative camera angles can make a decent bull look huge, so don't trust every pic you see on the interwebs when they're putting a score on a bull. If you've never killed a big bull, I'd just say get a picture in your head of what big should be, and if you see him, whack him.

23-Aug-16
When you see a bull that makes you say "WOW", that is a bigun. I have only seen one like that, managed to take a picture of him standing next to a fence post as he prepared to jump the fence. Went back and measured the fence post. Enlarged the picture and using the measurements of the post judged him to between 370 and 400 inches. He may not have scored that high P&Y because his antler spread never curved back in.

No tag, my luck.

Terry

23-Aug-16

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
So many variables, and a couple inches here and there can make for a 20 point swing.

I've used this bull in a couple "guess the score" threads. To a newbie elk hunter, he looks like a "Wow" bull. To some experienced elk hunters, he looks like a great bull. People overestimate his score by as much as 30" But he only grossed 304, netted 289 and change.

If you're having lots of opportunities, you'll see the difference between a good bull, great bull, and a "Wow" bull. If you get a shot opportunity at one you'll be happy with, don't worry about the score.

23-Aug-16

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Here's the "after" photo.

23-Aug-16
I am a 3rds & 5ths type guy.

A nice 6x6 typical can look great, so if I am in an LE or LQ unit I take a breath and double check the 3rds/5ths, if they are very visible I try and get under my 45 yards and slip an arrow into him.

A Typical 6x6 has 21 score-ables-----so 1 inch each is the difference in a 300 bull or a 320 bull/ 340 bull or a 360 bull ect. --------->

Good luck, Robb

23-Aug-16
Dang Jaquomo, That is deceiving. When I looked at the first pic I said 330". So yeah I missed it by almost 30". I think his large 4ths & 5ths threw me at just a glance. A nice bull either way.

RonS, I did a ton of research trying to learn the same thing for my first DIY hunt. I finally just settled on Any 6x6 or a really big 5x5 were going to go into the shoot and score later category. If I have time to study them I can do okay. But at just a glance not so much.

23-Aug-16
Jaquomo, Wow that is a beautiful bull no matter how many points you give it.

23-Aug-16
Best field judging info out there is on Jay Scott's website. I believe it's www.colburnandscottoutfitters.com. There are videos and explanations etc. also they did a two part podcast last year that was great.

23-Aug-16
I can guess them really well, within 30". ;) I'd say set you visual goal about 10-20" above your actual target bull. When you shoot a 340 and he turns out 320 it'll be ok.

23-Aug-16
Jaquomo: Wow, that is hard to believe! It appears to be much better than a 300" bull. Just proof that the difference between 300" and 350" can be difficult to judge. Especially since most of us see very few bulls in that category! I was lucky enough to kill a nice bull in 2012 and told a couple buddies he would be 320 or 330 and he turned out to be 377 6/8" gross. I had my hands on him and was still off by 45". If you don't have first hand experience with big bulls it can be very deceiving.

• Sitka Gear