oldgoat 23-Aug-16
Cheesehead Mike 23-Aug-16
fisherick 23-Aug-16
WVarcher 23-Aug-16
Tonybear61 23-Aug-16
Jaquomo 23-Aug-16
oldgoat 24-Aug-16
23-Aug-16
I know everyone is different. This will be my first time hunting and camping at 9000- 11,000 ft. I know it's not the same buy, I've downhill skied many times at that elevation and I don't recall any issues. But that was many moons ago.

Do you suggest bringing canned O2 along?

If so, what brand is better?

How many bottles (8 day hunt)?

Where can I buy it?

23-Aug-16
Just my opinion but I live at 3500 - 4000 feet and usually hike around 6500 to 7000 feet at the highest. I recently took a trip this summer to Colorado and hiked up a few ski hills for exercise that the peak was 11600 feet. Sure I got out of breath a little faster than normal, but never felt the need for canned oxygen. For me it would be a waste of time, weight and money.

If you are coming from sea level maybe it would be a little different for you. I had a look at that canned air stuff in Colorado and thought "what a crock of crap" The lightweight mousse type can did not look like it could hold more than a few puffs of air. If I was in a position that I really needed O2 then I would probably get a regular small o2 tank that held highly compressed oxygen that would last a lot longer than a bunch of light weight novelty cans.

23-Aug-16
Never brought my own air. Unless one has a medical condition I think it would be wasted money. I've hunted anywhere from 7500k to 11000k and have never had any critical issues. Drink lots of water, don't smoke, be in relatively good shape and take your time when you get out there and in a couple of days you'll be acclimated...

23-Aug-16
I tried it a few years ago, you would be just as well off to fill a couple sandwich bags with air at home and bring them with you! Now if you had one of those bottles like the people with lung cancer use and the hose and all, that might help.

23-Aug-16
I haven't hunted elk but I have visited Rocky Mtn Nat Park for 1-2 weeks each of the past 3 summers, just having returned from this year's 2-week visit. While there I backpack in to altitudes of up to 11.5 K to fish alpine lakes. This year, for the first time, I took Diamox (acetazolamide) 250 mg daily the day before leaving VA and for the first 2-3 days in CO. I felt it improved my altitude tolerance considerably, although I was in a little better shape (ran more) before this year's trip so that may have been a factor too. I certainly did not experience any adverse effects from Diamox. I have not tried the bottled oxygen, but given their bulk, I would think oxygen bottles would be more useful for something brief like climbing a 14K peak and then descending immediately, rather than for extended use backpacking around 11 K feet.

23-Aug-16
I use Boost oxygen in can. Two sizes smal and large. Got off big A. Works for me.

23-Aug-16
+1 on the Diamox

23-Aug-16
+ 2x for Diamox. I live at 127' above sea level, it helps.

23-Aug-16
+3 diamox, used it and never had a problem coming from 550' elevation. Wvarcher

23-Aug-16
An athsma inhaler helped me the last time I hunted out West as I do get exersize induced wheezing.. Different plant pollens and dust out there than at home. Another good reason for bringing it.

23-Aug-16
+1 Tonybear. Many people who have no allergies at home get out here and learn the hard way. Every year I run into guys who are sniffling, coughing, wheezing, headaches, etc.. from a "cold" they suddenly developed.

Sage is especially toxic, is in full bloom in September, and the pollen carries long distances. Sage is found from the plains to the high mountains and can produce flu-like symptoms.

24-Aug-16
Ummm, looks like I contradicted myself! When did they start letting more than one person use the same screen name?

• Sitka Gear