ELKMAN 23-Aug-16
cnelk 23-Aug-16
WesHunts 23-Aug-16
Conus_Reaper 23-Aug-16
cnelk 23-Aug-16
808bowhunter 24-Aug-16
wyelkhunter 24-Aug-16
23-Aug-16
Let me begin by saying that I know this topic comes up every year and I read about it every year, if for no reason other than to see how opinions differ year over year.

That being said, I recall a regression analysis done by a bowsiter years back in response to this topic and wanted to inquire if he had built on that data set and/or if he had the link to that old thread. A cursory google search on my part didn't turn it up. I believe it was cnelk's data.

Any insight or contribution would be helpful, but please keep it positive.

23-Aug-16

cnelk's Link
See link

No I havent 'built on that data' - Sorry

23-Aug-16
In 2014 we killed 3 elk in the 1st Quarter moon phase

In 2015 I killed 2 elk in the 3rd quarter moon phase and my son shot 1 elk on the full moon

23-Aug-16
All archery/rut kills?

23-Aug-16
Yes. All archery

23-Aug-16
Yup, that's the data I was looking for. Thanks cnelk!

Follow up question: you state that you wouldn't schedule a hunt around a dark moon, but all things the same, what's your preference?

To everyone else, it's simply a question of preference for someone with a significant amount of elk woods experience and, clearly, data to substantiate said preference. Thanks!

23-Aug-16
I've been hunting the mountains of Colorado for elk my whole life. Typically, we don't get much choice on the moon phase for specific hunt season like rifle. However, for archery I always hunt the new moon. In my experience the full moon allows the animals much more ability to feed and be active during the night. This year I have based my hunt schedule on the new moon in Colorado. Because I plan to spot and stalk and hunt transitions. A bull who fed all night and bed down near dawn will most likely not make the dawn to 10am. Anyway, that's just my $0.02 from my hunting experience. I'm sure other people feel differently, and everyone has had success at all times of the moon cycle. I just prefer the new moon cycle as I feel it gives me an advantage for my hunting style.

23-Aug-16
Moon phase is the least of the important factors for me. I just thought is was a neat exercise to see when we killed the elk compared to the moon.

Weather, hunting pressure play much more of a role for when I hunt.

Just last night, Paul@the fort stopped over and we were discussing the ML factor where we each hunt. Both of us stay out of the elk woods the opening weekend of ML season because of all the pumpkins.

But knowing that pressure reduces later that week, back into the woods we go.

But there are other places where the ML hunters have no effect on the elk

Weather is something we obviously cannot control but I have areas where a 2000ft rise in elevation means crappy rainy weather when its just cloudy lower.

The most important factor should be planning the MOST AMOUNT of time in the woods as you can. Roll the dice on the moon phase, weather and hunting pressure and be prepared to adjust accordingly.

24-Aug-16
Only been bowhunting elk 5 years now but by far the best action I have ever seen was on full moon. After that season I hardly even look at moon phase

24-Aug-16
Moon phase has minimal impact on the elk in my area. People pressure has a much bigger impact. Get away from the people and elk act like elk.

Listened to them bugling last weekend. Time is near. Good luck

• Sitka Gear