AZBUGLER 15-Sep-16
ELKMAN 16-Sep-16
Franzen 16-Sep-16
ELKMAN 19-Sep-16
ELKMAN 23-Sep-16
ELKMAN 30-Sep-16
LONEBULL 30-Sep-16
24-Aug-16
How many have started hearing bugles yet? What are everyone's predictions or guess as to whether it will start early, late, or right on time??? Getting CLOSE!!! ;-)

24-Aug-16

otcWill's embedded Photo
otcWill's embedded Photo
This lil sucker says it will kick off early :) I suspect Sept 5-20 will be the "hot spot". Good luck to all!

24-Aug-16

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
The only way I'm hearing a bugle is if I turn up my volume

24-Aug-16
They are bugling here to the east actually quite a bit, but that is a draw area too.

24-Aug-16
Same here, Casey. I've heard quite in LE units

24-Aug-16
I thin kit could be an active opener, but not sure yet. Are your Elk high, low or about normal? We have been BONE dry here for almost 3 months, I think a lot of their traditional areas feed is burned up. So we will be high, and we will be low, but elk in the middle is a big fat NO...

24-Aug-16
I've heard several that last few days.

Nothing too enthusiastic yet, but they are definitely bugling around these parts.

24-Aug-16
Nothing 2 weeks ago....was into bulls offering location bugles and they remained silent. No surprise.

24-Aug-16

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
This little guy was bugling Saturday. He'll get put in his place soon when the bigger ones move in and take the cows.

24-Aug-16
I was into a herd of 75 or so on Sunday (in a draw unit) with a small 6 (who will soon be displaced) and a couple smaller 4x4's, and they were talking some. The smaller 6 was trying to be the king. COuple more weeks and it should get more real.

24-Aug-16

HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
Bugling in the evening for me last Saturday . All hard horned. Best of luck guys. Hunt

24-Aug-16
No bugling for me yet. But temps dropped hard this week, hopefully it will get them started.

24-Aug-16
Whoa, HUNT! Good one!

24-Aug-16
Waking me up almost every night for the past week. Seems like when they lose velvet they get a little vocal

25-Aug-16
Been hearing Bugles in SW MT for about two weeks. Hard horned bulls, still in bachelor groups.

25-Aug-16
unless the weather turns unusually hot, the week of labor day will be a good one as is often the case.

25-Aug-16
Agreed, but I just can't bring myself to participate in that mess...

25-Aug-16
Thank you for these reports. This is getting me excited. I'll be hunting in Idaho Unit 29, Sept. 6-15. Knowing that they're already screaming in SW Montana has my blood pumping! I can hardly wait. I missed a 5x6 last year due to small, unseen limb in my trajectory which sent my arrow into tree up the mountain. He'll be bigger this year.

29-Aug-16
Camped in WY Unit 21 on 8/27, 8/28 ... no bugles there, but LOTS of hunters setting up camps. Very dry.

29-Aug-16
Not a peep over the weekend at 10,600'

29-Aug-16
Heard 3 this weekend. Northern CO 8500 - 10000'.

29-Aug-16
5 bugles before light on Sunday for me in Central Montana. 4900

29-Aug-16
Not a peep over the weekend. North central Colorado 9000 feet

29-Aug-16
Heard probably 30 on Saturday am/pm in central co at about 8500ft while deer huntn

29-Aug-16
The real question Will, is did you shoot a deer? :-)

29-Aug-16
Didn't see any. Had some cows and a lil bull come right by me though

29-Aug-16
Bugled 3 on Sunday.

30-Aug-16
Spent the opening weekend in Co Unit 214 (North of Steamboat) and not a sound except all the sheep & sheep dogs.

31-Aug-16
I called in 5 bulls so far over the past 3 days. I had 3 different ones bugling back in the timber, but very hesitant to talk unless close range. We watched a herd and they did very little talking on their own. Haven't heard any unprovoked bugles.

31-Aug-16
They have still been popping off here in that draw unit, but we watched a bull in an OTC area on Saturday actually in with cows raising hell...

01-Sep-16
Heading for Central Colorado Saturday morning! Anyone in that area have any good rutting/bugling reports?

01-Sep-16
Called in a Roosevelt bull on Tuesady. Never got to see him because it was too stinkin thick. Came in on string to some cow calls though!

01-Sep-16
They have started in my neck of the woods in AZ. Was talking to the local expert today (Lived in the middle of the forest for 35 years)and he was saying that this is the earliest he can remember. We have had a really good monsoon, and their is grass growing everywhere.

Terry

02-Sep-16
At this point I am guessing an early start to vocalization, then a bit of a lull mid month, and then a flat out war the last ten days...

02-Sep-16
MANITOBA:Had 2 bulls coming to calls on monday the 29th AND RAN OUT OF LIGHT! They would move towards cow calls but would only answer to bugles.

02-Sep-16
Yesterday was a wet and somewhat cold morning and I could hear them bugle all around the house until 10 am. Saw a lot of elk up on the ridges. This morning....Nothing.

04-Sep-16

Bugle.elk's embedded Photo
Bugle.elk's embedded Photo
Just starting to hear sporadic bugles here in northern UT. My game cam has been showing a lot of pre-rut activity, but the big bills hadn't yet chased the smaller bulls away from the cows as of September 1.

05-Sep-16
Heard my first this morning!

05-Sep-16
I have one more day of my hunt in SW Colorado and haven't heard a bugle yet...they are staring I'm sure though and my hunting buddies have heard a couple

06-Sep-16
Actually it was a fairly quiet start here from what I'm hearing. I haven't got out yet because of an ill timed wedding and work. We had a massive cold front roll in and significant moisture with it. Snow above 5,500 feet, so that may have thrown them a bit, but we have been seeing bulls in with cows.

06-Sep-16
The last two nights they were bugling pretty good.

06-Sep-16
Any reports from the Big Horns? I will be there in a week... Thanks

06-Sep-16
Pretty strong this weekend. Had bulls going every morning and evening. Northern CO.. Should be a great few weeks ahead if my area doesn't burn down.

06-Sep-16
Every year it is a patchwork of are/aren't bugling, depending on what state, what part of the state, private or public, even day or night. It would be informative to have a table where a bs'er could click on those checkboxes so folks could see at a glance what the trends are.

06-Sep-16
Not bugling yet in southwest colorado. just talked to my guide and they have not herd anything yet

06-Sep-16
Bugle fest Sat night about 11. I called in a small 5 and a cow Friday eve. Herd bulls are making soft bugles when I cow call from a ways off.

06-Sep-16
We had 3 different bugling bulls in central CO over the busy weekend, only ran into 2 other hunters. 11,000-12,000'

06-Sep-16

bud's embedded Photo
bud's embedded Photo
Jeck66,just came down after four days in the Bighorns. Trying to heal up. Heard no bugles. They have to be bugling I just wasn't in them. Front came through looked like this Monday morning.

06-Sep-16
Wow, bud, that storm must have turned your world upside down!

I heard a number of half-hearted bugles over the weekend in the Payson, Arizona area. Cows I saw were by themselves, and a few small bulls running together.

06-Sep-16

bud's embedded Photo
bud's embedded Photo
Melted off quick. Great hunting weather. Lot of grouse up high this year. You might want to get your bird license.

06-Sep-16
Thanks for the report Bud!

06-Sep-16
Any more news? Still quiet here in manitoba.

06-Sep-16
Any recent reports from central Montana? My dad and I will be headed out from Virginia this weekend.

06-Sep-16
They were bugling some here in west central ID on Friday & Saturday but have tapered off some. It's just a matter of time for a few cows to come into heat/estrus! Can't wait for the full moon, it will pick up considerably when it happens! Good luck guys!

ElkNut1

07-Sep-16
The Roosevelt's are definitely talking. Called in 5 over labor weekend.

07-Sep-16
I heard a little bugling up by the Colorado/Wyoming border - mainly in the early mornings. I couldn't get anything to respond back to my bugle. I was able to call a few bulls in but they came in silently and spooked. All the cows and bulls that I saw were still separate. I dont think I have ever seen so many mature cows by themselves. Most didn't even have calf's with them - not sure why it would be like that. Should be a different story by next week.

07-Sep-16
They're singing in Manitoba. Had em going for about 2.5 hrs after light on the weekend

08-Sep-16
Any recent reports from central Montana? My dad and I will be headed out from Virginia this weekend.

08-Sep-16

08-Sep-16

08-Sep-16
Sorry about the triple post, I'm not sure how I managed to do that.

15-Sep-16
Starting...

15-Sep-16
First morning with some decent bugling!

16-Sep-16
The moon has them all jacked up, but the first 10 days of Oct. is going to be insane!

16-Sep-16
I had good bugling on my hunt from the 8th-10th. It was an early hunt for me this year, but temps ranged from about 20F to 35F at camp in the mornings. I watched a bull round up a herd of 25 cows and calves and ward off two satellites. In all likelihood a bigger bull will step in later, and this guy was doing all the work for naught. All three were bugling at each other for three days in the same drainage while I hunted them.

Probably should have gotten more aggressive at the end, but oh well. Another guy will get a crack at them. Wyoming.

19-Sep-16
They are in and out here. Still seeing a few bulls together

23-Sep-16
Okay, I think they have started in earnest now which is right on time, but what a random lead up...

30-Sep-16
Most of the cows are through their first cycle

30-Sep-16
I was hunting moose at the time but heard an insane amount of bugling on the night of Sept. 18th. Must have had some cows in heat. SW Wyoming.

• Sitka Gear