Moultrie Mobile
Valle Vidal Early Archery Advice?
Elk
Contributors to this thread:
Dayton 25-Aug-16
butcherboy 25-Aug-16
easeup 25-Aug-16
25-Aug-16
I drew the Valle Vidal early archery Elk tag and I am looking for advice or pointers from any previous hunters.

25-Aug-16
Elk are everywhere you go! I hunted the high stuff above the big valley. Walk up comanche creek a few miles then hike up the ridge to the top and ambush them as they come out of the valley to go to their bedding area. The whole west side of the ridge is used for a bedding area. They move back and forth each day. Sometimes on the north end of the ridge, sometimes on the south.

You can also go west of the creek which is where I killed mine. Just cross the creek from the parking area and follow the logging road up. It's a long walk through huge open meadows but will eventually get you to the tree line. This is the area where I think I saw some of the bigger bulls and incredibly huge rubs! If you go in either of these two areas you have to leave really early and be in the tree line way before it gets light. The bulls will be out chasing cows in the meadows while you walk in.

If I could do it again, I would walk in and set up a camp about 2-3 miles in. Plenty of water. You could even walk in pulling a deer carrier with extra gear or food so you could stay in longer.

I wanted to go to the big peak to the north but there was no reason to since we were into elk all day. I had the second hunt but the first should still be incredible. If they aren't vocal just ambush them when they come in to bed. Good luck!

25-Aug-16
Dayton, heaven came down to touch you! elk hunter paradise is there

• Sitka Gear