Kurt 29-Sep-16
Brun 30-Sep-16
GF 30-Sep-16
lineman21 30-Sep-16
dgb 30-Sep-16
iceman 08-Oct-16
25-Aug-16

Huntcell 's Link
Take a guess or make a bid on the former world record rack going up for auction.

......:......7 points on one side and 8 on the other, with a gross score of 459 7/8? and a net score of 442 3/8? after deductions. The antlers are beautifully symmetrical, with the brow tines an astonishing........

The auction is being organized by Gary Hubbell of United Country Colorado Brokers & Auctioneers in Hotchkiss, Colorado.

25-Aug-16
Cool story. Great rack. It's a piece of hunting history.

It would be a rack that I'd be interested in seeing, but not owning. If I had unlimited discretionary income, maybe I'd buy the rack for the RMEF to display. I think that its role in history and the record books has greater value to the hunting public than to me.

But...I am having fun imagining the look on the wife's face. "Honey. I just invested $150,000 in an elk rack."

25-Aug-16
Worth nothing to me if it not mine

25-Aug-16
Retire off a set of antlers?

25-Aug-16
Ditto boubound. Not really worth that much to me if I killed it either.

25-Aug-16
Agree with orion. It'd be great for RMEF. It'll be interesting to see what it goes for. Not for me though, I prefer my own.

26-Aug-16
Worth nothing? I'd give 200$.

26-Aug-16
I could prob make like 50 sets of dog chews out of that, so factoring in labor and trying to make a profit, I could make that worth at least $500.

Obviously the rack is worth a serious amount of cash, I couldn't even venture a guess. $150,000?? No idea.

26-Aug-16
I think the world record non typical mule deer went for 350K, so I would guess somewhere south of that. There are not that many antler collectors that can afford the highest end racks. I wonder if Cabelas will bid?

26-Aug-16
Why don't they donate the rack to the RMEF or something? That's what I would do personally. Otherwise it's not worth a penny to me because I didn't carry it out of the mountains on my back.

26-Aug-16
If I didn't drop the string on it. Nothing to me.

26-Aug-16
That one, the Plute bull, is worth more for the historical value than just pounds of bone. I'd like to own it just for that significance, because it stood as the world record for so long and was killed during the time when elk were about to go extinct.

I'd also like to have one of the new supercharged Teslas to drive around town. Both have about the same chance of happening.

26-Aug-16
A friend of mine who is an accomplished taxidermist has a mounted (shoulder bugle mount) that is a typical 6x6 scoring about 411...been trying to sell it for 3 years for $4K...???

Joe

26-Aug-16
Jesus. All of the "worth nothing if I didn't kill it" quotes above are absurd.

This one animal sculpted an entire generation of elk hunters, embodies what we dream of finding ANYWHERE let alone a unit that is currently OTC, and marks the turn of an era. It represents the best, the past, the lost, and those who actually have more than 4 generations of roots here. To see it is a privilege. To be able to look at that bull every day and wonder where he summered, and how he wintered, and how many cows he had, what other bulls he fought, and what cave of timber he most loved for bedding....and...and...and...

are priceless.

But call me nostalgic.

26-Aug-16
^ this x10

Oh how I dreamed of that bull when I was young. I knew the story forward and backwards and the score by heart.

26-Aug-16
Agree, if I didn't shoot it - fun to look at but not worth anything to me.

26-Aug-16
Dinkshooter, me too. Growing up, the Plute bull represented everything amazing about elk hunting. Still does, IMO, because nearly every other bull of that caliber taken since is the product of selectively managed elk and a guided hunt in a high dollar reservation, or worse, the product of a military-style team assault by a small army.

Old John found that bull surviving in Dark Canyon and did it with an old open sight carbine, if I remember right.

26-Aug-16
My grandfather told the story of how he passed on that bull at 12 yards the year he was taken.

He needed another year grandpa said. I often think of what he could have been.

27-Aug-16
Donate??? Why would they do that? The type of money it will bring could be life changing for most people on this site. Shawn

28-Aug-16
A fool and his money are soon parted.

28-Aug-16
Chasewild and Jaq thanks for the voices of reason...

That Bull is a legend...and a insane story given the circumstances...

Some of the comments are like" So what..who the hell is wild Bill Hickcock to me and that six shooter won't blow a hole as big as my sawed off Mossberg"

28-Aug-16
I think a legendary bull like that should end up where six year old kids and their parents can see it and dream, somewhere public, not my house. There are some young versions of Jaquomo, Chasewild, Dinkshooter and Adventurewriter out there who need to be infected with the same bug.

I can understand some of the "worth nothing if I didn't kill it."

If I were to buy the $3K 411 scoring typical 6X6 from wyliecoyote's taxidermist friend and hang it in my house, I'd feel like a fraud.

If I were to buy the Plute bull and hang it in my house, I'd feel like I stole some history or sequestered history. I'd have to donate it to the RMEF.

But first, I'd invite a bunch of you guys to come over in Lou's fleet of Teslas for a private viewing and some 25yr old Macallan to lubricate stories.

"Honey. I'm selling the house and the kids so that I can buy an elk rack to donate to the RMEF."

I hope whoever buys the Plute bull displays it publicly. I'd like to see it with my kids.

28-Aug-16
There are plenty of unsuccessful hunters who have money who would love to hang that in their home/office and tell the story of the great hunt, it won't sunrise me if it brings big bucks.

28-Aug-16
Ah, the Plute Bull.

In a sense I grew up with that bull - certainly it was the first rack I ever saw up close or put my hands on. A hell of an introduction to what an elk might be - like taking Christie Brinkley to the Jr. Prom.

Throughout the 70's and a good portion of the 80's it hung in Tony's Conoco in Crested Butte just as you turned in from Gunnison. Like in many mountain towns that had not quite been discovered, Tony's sold a bit of everything: coveralls, ammo, hats, tinned meat, auto parts, comic books, whatever - all of it arrayed around the antique iron stove.

The store was long and creaky and dark with scratched glass counters and the smell of old wood and older men. I was 7 in 1973 when I met Tony and he was about 100. In the years following, I'd grow up yet he always stayed the same. As did that great brooding head with the dusty eyes and the impossible spread of bone, on the wall above and to the right of the ancient NCR register. Tony would talk as if he knew John Plute, which I don't think was possible but it gave a vibrancy to the stories that kept us rapt.

As kids we were usually coming into Tony's for Big Red chewing gum and to replace the Mepp's and Panther Martin's we were continually losing to the willows and rocks of Copper Creek, the Slate, the East, and myriad unnamed beaver ponds. As we grew older and ventured farther afield, we'd sometimes find little groups of summer elk - eating boletes in dark timber, or gathering on glacial snowpack to escape the biting flies; and some had cute little fuzzy nests atop their heads. They were impressive in a way, dancing bits of buff and thunder crashing through the deadfall, but it was awfully difficult to reconcile with them being the same animal as we'd visit in Tony's.

They had little of the gravitas and none of the timelessness that radiated from the Plute bull like light. If even a non-hunting snot-nosed punk of 12 years old could pick up on this, it must have been potent indeed.

No question that my being an obsessive elk hunter now comes in large from those years of gazing up at that head, imagining that animals like that were out there and that I might have the temerity to pursue them.

So yes, I give it enormous value. Priceless. So much so that it has apparently engendered in me a heretofore unknown predilection for nostalgia and literary meanderings. Son of a bitch, I must be getting old. I'd apologize for rambling but I don't think us old guys do that.

28-Aug-16
its worth what someone will pay for it, me nothing, someone else maybe a lot.

28-Aug-16
Minimum bid of 100K just to get in, gonna be curious what it sells for...

28-Aug-16
Worth is subjective. If I shot the bugger it would be priceless - to me. Since I didn't, and I'm not an antler collector, the value is minimum. Again - to me.

21-Sep-16
It's up to $100,000 with 5 hours left!

21-Sep-16
only 1 bid

21-Sep-16
Maybe I am not the voice of reason but I have no desire to own antlers of animals I didn't kill. Don't get me wrong....I would love to have that huge elk rack but it would simply be so I could sell it. I don't shed hunt. It means nothing to me but would if I lived in the west where antler buyers seem to be prevalent. Not trying to minimalize an awesome rack just pointing out the fact that obviously I am different than some of you.

21-Sep-16
Grandpa once said hanging someone else's elk rack in your house is like wearing underwear from the thrift store.

that said the value to me is nil. but the value to others who know the history and such could be a surprisingly large number.

oz

21-Sep-16
Mr. Holdren,

Those comments were a joy to read sir...........

That bull is history and should be displayed publicly. As some have suggested, it should be there to place that bug into many more future hunters. People need to dream..........................

21-Sep-16
I wouldn't pay anything to hang the bull in my house.

If I had the money, I would pay whatever it took to be able to donate it.

If I owned a big bar or resort, I might pay a fair bit to be able to hang it in my business and attract customers.

22-Sep-16
People pay scads of $ for sports memorabilia, which is basically what this is.

Superbowl jerseys, shoes, rings, framed photos, gold medals, etc.

I don't necessarily know that someone would want to buy this to hang on the wall and claim to have killed it, no more than someone would buy a gold medal or superbowl ring and claim it was their own.

As some have stated, to me personally, the rack isn't worth what it would cost to purchase it. At some threshold if someone came to me and offered to sell it, I'd buy (who wouldn't if, say, a guy offered to sell it to you for $100? or trade it for a dozen arrows?)

However, to someone with $, maybe they want to purchase it and donate it to an organization/museum/display for a tax write-off. Maybe they want to purchase it and hang it in their den and tell their buddies "that was the WR back in the day - let me tell you about it". More power to them.

It's just not in my price league. Neither is a $10,000 superbowl ring, or a $1,000 jersey.

22-Sep-16
Yeah I didn't sign the Declaration of Independence, why would I care about it? ????

22-Sep-16
Does anyone know what it sold for?

22-Sep-16
I had a chance to see the Plute bull in person and was amazed at the sheer size and beauty. As a young elk hunter at the time, I could only hope for one day. ha!

I know it don't mean much to you but it does to me. Lasting that long until someone picked up the new record in Az. Stood as the world record coming from Colorado.

It does and will always be something to remember!!!

26-Sep-16
The Plute bull is the most iconic wildlife trophy ever. My brother and I hunted a whopper bull back in the early 80's. We called the canyon he hung out in ...... Dark Canyon.

26-Sep-16
The Plute bull is the most iconic wildlife trophy ever. My brother and I hunted a whopper bull back in the early 80's. We called the canyon he hung out in ...... Dark Canyon.

27-Sep-16
it belongs in Colorados fish and game headquarters or history museum or B.C headquarters! so people can see it ..JMO MikeC

27-Sep-16
I'd met Ed Rozman (owner of the antlers) and saw the Plute bull in Crested Butte about 25 years ago. Heck of a bull and Ed was a treat too. Makes me a bit sad to see that he has to sell the rack. Anyway the bull is a giant and hopefully ends up in some public place. Too bad if Crested Butte doesn't take it for permanent local display, but doubt they are interested in hunting (or mining) related anything.

Here in BC the world record (maybe former WR) Boone & Crockett non typical elk hangs in the rec center in Revelstoke. Neat to be able to view it most anytime. It was actually a pickup head found dead in Arrow Lake, a hydrodam empoundment on the Columbia River. But that is digressing from the Plute bull.

27-Sep-16

Treeline's embedded Photo
Treeline's embedded Photo
First saw that bull years in the late 80's mounted in the old gas station in downtown Crested Butte when I was hunting up near there. Got corrected by Mr. Rozman on the pronunciation of "Plute". Crested Butte sure has changed a lot since then.

Here's a copy of a picture of that bull from years ago with Ed and my buddy's daughter, Leona.

Kurt, you might even recognize the backdrop and location:)

Agree, it should be hanging up for public display. A lot of history and nostalgia around that bull.

29-Sep-16
Treeline, great photo of the bull, and yes the backdrop is familiar. Ed must have been moving the bull to have him up there? Kurt

30-Sep-16
The Plute bull is the most iconic elk in the world. I saw it many times in the store in Crested Butte and it had an almost mythical status for me and many others. I hope whoever buys bit keeps it in a public place for all to enjoy. Good hunting to all.

30-Sep-16
If I had that kind of money to donate to the RMEF, I'd buy them the rack and a custom-built trailer they could use to transport it from one outdoor expo to the next.

Which is pretty freakin' ironic, since I've never attended one, but my belief is that it would be worth far more to the future of Wild Elk for the inspiration it would give than the same amount of cash could ever be. Perhaps more than ANY amount of cash could ever be...

30-Sep-16
My wife said she wants a new rack for Christmas. You reckon this is what she meant?

30-Sep-16
I for one appreciate a good rack . . .

08-Oct-16

iceman's Link

• Sitka Gear