Branden 29-Aug-16
HDE 29-Aug-16
cnelk 29-Aug-16
Barron114 29-Aug-16
cnelk 29-Aug-16
HDE 29-Aug-16
Quinn @work 29-Aug-16
29-Aug-16
Where is the ideal place to put it on a quartered elk?

What do you use to attach it with?

29-Aug-16
better read the regs, in Idaho it is supposed to be on the largest portion of the animal. I always wrap mine around the antlers with black tape. probably not 100% legal but never had any problems with it. black tape around a leg bone would also hold it.

29-Aug-16
Here is what the brochure says:

CARCASS TAGS You must attach a carcass tag to animals you kill per instructions on tag. Tags must be immediately signed, dated, detached from the license and attached to the carcass of the animal — not to detached hides, horns, antlers or carried separately. Tags must stay on until meat is processed and remain with meat until consumed. It is illegal to sign or tear the tag before a kill.

The instructions on my elk tag says detach immediately, sign, cut out date, etc and attach to carcass.

Although it doesn't say it specifically, attaching the tag to the antlers is not what they are after. The "carcass" refers to "meat". Since you are going to quarter it, what I always to is attach it to a rear quarter on the side that contains the proof of sex. If I leave the bone in, I attach it around the big tendon with electrical tape of a string. If deboned, I attach it to a hole in the hide near the proof of sex.

29-Aug-16
Last year I got a talking to at a check point because my tag wasn't on the same quarter as evedince of sex even tho I can't find a reg that says it has to be.

29-Aug-16
I always attach it to the piece that I leave evidence of sex attached to.

29-Aug-16
Sometimes it will depend on the CO (game warden) on where to attach the carcass tag (per the regulations).

Shouldn't be that way, but I've heard differing interpretations straight from the horses mouth(s).

I always carry a copy of the hunting regs with me. That way they can show me where I "misinterpreted"...

29-Aug-16
I use zip ties to attach the carcass tag.

BTW - the antlers are NOT considered part of the carcass

29-Aug-16
So you attach the tag to 1 of the quarters and pack it back to the truck a couple miles away, where you put the meat in a cooler. You then head back up the mountain to get the next load. Do you now take the carcass tag with you and attatch it to another quarter in the second load, or do you just leave it on the original quarter in the cooler back at the truck and just not worry about it?

29-Aug-16
Just attached it one of the quarters and get it hung up and cooled down.

Once attached, its attached

29-Aug-16
Again, check the regs. Some say it has to stay with the meat while it is unattended but may be removed while in transport. Most game wardens are pretty common sense and expect it to be with the meat at camp or your truck while you aren't there and making another trip.

If you aren't sure, call and ask. They like it when you show diligence in doing it right.

29-Aug-16
Attaching the tag to the same quarter as the evidence of sex just makes it easier for the warden to check it. It means he only has to check one quarter if he so chooses. It is not required my law to be done together but makes it more convenient when having to open up game bags and coolers to show them.

• Sitka Gear