Amoebus 02-Sep-16
Tonybear61 02-Sep-16
IdyllwildArcher 02-Sep-16
willliamtell 04-Sep-16
3arrows 04-Sep-16
Doug Fir 04-Sep-16
Doug Fir 04-Sep-16
29-Aug-16
I just saw a tv show about why Yellowstone elk heard went for 28,000 to 4,000. It was Lake Trout So there netting the Fish so the elk will come back.

29-Aug-16
How many have you had?

29-Aug-16
Post a link. I gotta see this!

29-Aug-16

XMan's Link
There are a few articles on this, interesting connection between human impact and the downstream fallout.

29-Aug-16
Lakers eat cutthroats, cuts don't spawn in the creeks for the bears to eat, bears eat more elk calves and take over more wolf kills.

I can see the logic. The problem is the logic that 100 wolves eating 2000 elk per year in an area that winters around 5000 elk being a huge factor gets minimized, when every other possible factor gets over stated.

Yes, lakers, whitebark pine nuts and drought are factors. Wolves eating 5 elk a day in the park, 365 days a year, adds up pretty fast.

29-Aug-16
Oh wow. So their serious. Amazing the lengths "they" will go...

29-Aug-16
Hmm, looks like the wolves are off the hook! (grin)

ElkNut1

29-Aug-16
Of course the elk decline doesn't have anything to do with wolves...8^)

I take it Lake trout are not native to the Yellowstone ecosystem?

29-Aug-16
There was an article about this 3 or 4 years ago in Bugle Magazine.

29-Aug-16
I knew it all along! Dam lake trout!

29-Aug-16
You really can't make this stuff up. At least they are using our tax dollars to fund this.

29-Aug-16
Wolves also changed the rivers! Single handedly saving the ecosystem!

29-Aug-16
Some new kid in the office must have gotten a bonus for figuring that one out!

29-Aug-16
Double post... strange.

29-Aug-16
Maybe they should introduce Asian carp. That will fix everything!!

That PHD who wrote the article should use spell check as well.

29-Aug-16
I watched this show last nite as well. Pretty interesting. I do agree that invasive species have a huge impact on our ecosystems directly and indirectly in a negative way due to them usually having no natural predators,etc. We have feral hogs here which are devastating our landscapes and coincidentally I feel they are a big reason for our turkey and deer population decrease. but I also think that they grossly underestimated the impact the wolf has had on elk populations there in and around Yellowstone. The elk have also decline in ID where wolves have prospered

29-Aug-16
Ahhh... you wrecked it for me! haha The program started this morning while I was eating breakfast. I only was able to watch the first 10 minutes. So, I hit the recorder, knowing they would never blame the wolves.

Figured they would blame global warming or some other reason. I will watch the rest tonight.

29-Aug-16
"That PHD who wrote the article should use spell check as well."

He should be embarrassed. That article was very poorly written, and that poor writing for a calls into question everything he said.

For example: "Whitebark Pine Blister Rust" - No such thing, it's white pine blister rust.

Whirling disease most likely spread by birds, rarely humans. I blame the pelicans.

Lake Trout, probably a bucket biologist, or the historic hatchery at Yellowstone Lake, and I'll agree they need wiped out. Let's go fishing.

29-Aug-16
Smoked, I agree regarding the author. It is hard to give any credibility to an article so poorly written.

I am sure the lake trout are hurting the balance of things but without the predator problems it would simply be the wrong fish for Yellowstone.

Where can I get a big fat grant to study the devastation done by the dandelion:)

29-Aug-16
Smoked, I agree regarding the author. It is hard to give any credibility to an article so poorly written.

I am sure the lake trout are hurting the balance of things but without the predator problems it would simply be the wrong fish for Yellowstone.

Where can I get a big fat grant to study the devastation done by the dandelion:)

29-Aug-16
I have called my state representatives to try and save Yellowstone. We must stop all catch and release fishing and hiking and all other outdoor activities to save the wildlife. Only millions of people driving through the park in air conditioned cars with Disney movies playing for the kids, preferably Bambi, will save the animals.

My reps agreed and when I suggested that the entire house and senate should hold session at the park to see the devastation first hand, they agreed! They took me up on the idea of starting the tour at the geysers and getting off the boardwalks to get a really good firsthand look!!!

29-Aug-16
Did anyone even notice the author of the articles qualifications? Professor Emaritus in political sciences with specialties in natural resource politics, public opinion, interest groups, political parties, voting and elections. I'm not saying he's not smart, or that invasive species are not bad, but I think he's delving a little deeper than his specialties warrant.

29-Aug-16
Hmmm....so a political scientist is writing an article proposing a biological/natural science theory that supports the political argument that wolf preying on elk are not the cause of declines in elk numbers.

Go figure. I'm sure he did this out of pure scientific curiosity. The fish did it!

LMAO

29-Aug-16
Anyone notice the author's "pedigree"? Looks like your typical lib college professor to me.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR Ralph Maughan Dr. Ralph Maughan is professor emeritus of political science at Idaho State University with specialties in natural resource politics, public opinion, interest groups, political parties, voting and elections. Aside from academic publications, he is author or co-author of three hiking/backpacking guides

29-Aug-16
NeilKing, you beat me to it! You must have been typing while I was copying and pasting.

29-Aug-16
jingalls, make sure Reid and Pelosi are in front of the line!

29-Aug-16
"public opinion, interest groups, political parties, voting and elections."

Well, if Obama could get himself elected POTUS twice based on this skill set, why would it be a stretch for this prof to come up with a badly written paper using the same training?

29-Aug-16
What channel is this on tonight?

29-Aug-16
Produced by "Gray Wolf Productions"! LOL!

I know the wolf gets blamed for everything evil in the wilds. The wolf is part of a complex equation. No denying they have an impact in some areas.

Look at the Bitteroot Study. Folks were assuming the catastrophic elk numbers in 270 were due to the wolf. Study showed mountain lions were killing a disproportionate amount of elk. Montana now had the data to justify increased lion take.

Catch a lake trout, save an elk! Well the few elk that are left in Gardner aren't so sure.

29-Aug-16
No offense but this theory sounds a whole lot like the global warming guys blaming the aerosol in my inhaler for reducing the ozone layer.

If they make it sound good and can make money off of the theory it doesnt necessarily mean it is true.

29-Aug-16
Zbone,

I believe it is on the Smithsonian Channel. I have Dish Network and I think it is channel 367...

29-Aug-16
This theory was postulated years ago.

Ok, fine. Let's kill some grizz then.

29-Aug-16
Agree ^^^^^^^^

29-Aug-16
thanks jeck66

29-Aug-16
They spelled wolves wrong...how did they get lake trout?

29-Aug-16
Someone planted them in the lake years ago.

29-Aug-16
Wolves aren't always to blame for a prey species population getting too low, but they don't stop eating which makes the solution that much harder.

29-Aug-16

Amoebus's Link
Wow! I count 7-8 posts that dismiss the concept based on spelling or a 2nd (3rd?) hand author who is clearly not the study leader.

Here is a novel concept - in the internet age, it is relatively easy to find the original source. At least then you might be criticizing something legitimate.

(Since I doubt that shame will make you look up the link, I have included it here. If you really want to learn something, you can drill down to the 49 studies that the author referenced.)

From the above-mentioned study:

"Our findings are also relevant to the wolf management plans of Idaho, Montana and Wyoming, which generally allow the flexibility to increase wolf harvests in areas of declining elk productivity and abundance. Some of the steepest elk recruitment declines in these states have occurred in the GYE, coincident with wolf reintroduction. However, complex patterns of 40–140 km elk migrations that are unique to the GYE, compounded by high rates of bear predation inside YNP's boundaries, suggest that elk calf recruitment may not be as sensitive to wolf removal on some outlying winter ranges as to the number of grizzly bears and the availability of alternative grizzly bear foods on elk summer ranges in and around YNP."

29-Aug-16
So let me get this straight, elk were abundant in the past, but grizzlies didn't eat them because they would rather eat spawning cutthroat. Now lake trout are depleting the cutthroat and the grizzlies are switching to elk. Now grizzlies are expanding, becoming more abundant. My question is, why on earth were grizzlies targeting cutthroat when they do better eating elk? It doesn't even make ecological sense. Sounds like an excuse to take blame away from wolves and assign it to some abstract ecological idea.

29-Aug-16
One big issue is that many who were pro wolf or on the fence have a deep distrust of anything pro wolf after seeing what happened during the reintro.

I originally supported the intro as proposed. 100 wolves in each of the three states. That would be around 6000 elk a year to feed them. Then after it launched the number jumped dramatically, tons of misinformation was spewed, bad rulings were made, management was delayed and sound wildlife management suffered.

Since we can hunt them some now, many are taking a position that the end justified the means. I'm not as quick to forgive and won't ever forget.

I get why anyone would be skeptical.

29-Aug-16
Amoebus,

thanks for posting that. folks shouldn't be so quick to mock or dismiss.

the NYE elk herd calves in areas with very high grizzly bear numbers (unhuntable because it's national park)d. it's certainly not illogical to see that a loss of a major food source could have this impact.

29-Aug-16
There hasn't been wolf hunting in Wyoming in two years.

29-Aug-16
pat,

it matters a lot. if grizzly bears are the primary reason the elk herds are remaining at the levels they are, it would make little sense to focus a lot of resources on wolf populations if that isn't the primary culprit.

like z pointed out above, the obvious answer isn't always the right one.

29-Aug-16
double tap, my bad.

29-Aug-16
"There hasn't been wolf hunting in Wyoming in two years."

And there never will be hunting on 2 million acres (YNP) in the core of the wolf area. Some aren't happy with WY's management plan but I think it made perfect sense considering they can't do anything in YNP and there's really no danger of over hunting wolves. If they dropped to the Federal population limit, they would automatically be relisted. Wyoming's plan had limits higher than that as a fail safe.

29-Aug-16
The wolves kill more elk in the winter when the elk can't getaway

29-Aug-16
The poor calf recruitment in the Northern herd goes way back before wolf numbers really exploded.

I'm certainly not saying that wolves don't have anything to do with the equation, but to suggest that bears and a major loss of protein source isn't significant is folly.

29-Aug-16
wolves are the reason - the trout have never been the problem until wolves were introduced

29-Aug-16
We got a permit to canoe up Lewis river into Shoshone Lake two years ago. When we signed in at Grant Village and got our paperwork they told us all lake trout caught had to be killed. It was illegal to release them. Makes me feel good now. I may have helped save an elk. LOL

30-Aug-16
12 - "So let me get this straight, elk were abundant in the past, but grizzlies didn't eat them because they would rather eat spawning cutthroat."

Who said that grizzlies didn't eat elk? If you are going to argue a point, somebody has to have made that point (besides yourself).

30-Aug-16
City folks seem to always flim flam the ignorant. I am just a dumb country boy, but I can track, especially in fresh snow.........

31-Aug-16
After reading the actual paper, it appears plausible. I'm amazed that a run of cutthroats could be that important to grizzlies that they would choose them over elk. But I suppose maybe they didn't have to work as hard to capture a trout?????? I'm still skeptical though.

31-Aug-16
Interesting

I'm not fond of lake trout but in my home state the state DNR along with the fed dept of fish and wildlife have gone to great lengths to protect them.

Personally I don't care to eat them they taste like crap.

We don't have cut throats but the other trout species we have, rainbows, browns and brookies I love to eat.

So I suppose I can completely understand why grizzlies prefer the cut throats.

31-Aug-16
kill all the wolves, watch the herds return

no way are the bears killing the elk - no way I believe that

the decline happened exactly the same time wolves started to repopulate Yellowstone

31-Aug-16
Spawning Cutthroat are available in Yellowstone Lake tributaries for two months. So I suppose the rest of the time the bears ignore all the red meat on the hoof as they lay around in a mountain meadow munching leafy greens and blueberries.

31-Aug-16
My gess is the bears eat more elk calfs than the wolves do in the spring but the wolves take elk year round. Bears sleep all winter wolves eat year round when the snow is deep is when they do the most damage

31-Aug-16
One thing is for sure, before the wolves were reintroduced, there were a lot more elk, a lot more outfitters, and a lot more hunting opportunity on migrating elk that left the park. In Idaho, there were a lot more elk before wolves. So, it is scientifically proven that wolves kill elk at exponential rates. So, I'm going to propose a hypothesis that I think is pretty much fact to anyone that doesn't have a turd for a brain. Less Wolves equal more elk!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know that is hard for some turd brains to admit or understand but, I believe it to be fact.

Yep, I'm not going to be a smart guy anymore. I'll just say that science is a field that chases it's tail in a lot of cases. In it's flaws of hypothesis's, you can somewhat prove about any idea as being relevant. This article being an example. I can see these guys right now debating their findings and putting their reasons as to why. It is simple. MORE wolves equal less elk. no need to study the effect that lake trout are having on the elk herd as it is such a small influence if there is any influence at all.

God Bless

01-Sep-16
I do agree WV, but the study suggests that cutthroat definitely buffered elk calves when they are at their most vulnerable time. Cutthroat spawn about the same time as calves are born. I'm just amazed that there are enough grizzlies to actually limit calf recruitment. I'm also amazed that cutthroat were abundant and large enough to actually be an important food source for a significant number of bears. Are there really that many grizzlies?

Also, wolves may do a lot of killing too and then griz steal the kill. So you would have to count that as a wolf effect, not a griz kill (or lake trout effect). I think there is a lot of possibly, potentially, maybe, quotes in that study. But the authors make a pretty compelling case for sure. Like you said WV, if you really want, you can make your results say whatever you want if you try hard enough. There are similar "studies" that try to defray blame for moose declines in Minnesota. They do moose mortality studies and find significant wolf predation, but try there darndest to place blame elsewhere.

01-Sep-16
WV - "So, it is scientifically proven that wolves kill elk at exponential rates."

I am not sure my turd brain can comprehend that statement. Are you saying that 1 wolf eats 1 elk. 2 eat 4, 3 eat 9, 4 eat 16, n eat n**2? One of my math classes had us spending 2 weeks studying predator/prey relationships and writing differential equations to model them (with only the 2 variables). Granted, I wasn't a scientist yet, but nowhere in there was this scientifically proven exponential rate mentioned. Seems to be very linear to me.

"So, I'm going to propose a hypothesis that I think is pretty much fact to anyone that doesn't have a turd for a brain. Less Wolves equal more elk!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Yes. No one has argued anything to disagree with that. Certainly the authors of the paper never said that wolves don't eat elk. As they mentioned in the quote I put above, in Yellowstone, you will get less benefit from the same amount of wolves killed than elsewhere. This is because the grizzlies were found to be killing a higher percentage of elk calves than in the past. Why? Well, one of the reasons found is there are 90% less cutthroat trout in the rivers than in the past. Why? Much higher numbers of lake trout out-compete the native trout.

"It is simple. MORE wolves equal less elk. no need to study the effect that lake trout are having on the elk herd as it is such a small influence if there is any influence at all."

Rarely in nature are population dynamics simple. Only in internet forums. Read the papers - grizzlies doubling the number of elk calves eaten in the spring hardly counts as a small or non-existent influence.

01-Sep-16
ABOUT THE AUTHOR Ralph Maughan Dr. Ralph Maughan is professor emeritus of political science at Idaho State University with specialties in natural resource politics, public opinion, interest groups, political parties, voting and elections. Aside from academic publications, he is author or co-author of three hiking/backpacking guides

I chuckle a bit every time I hear the phrase POLITICAL "SCIENCE"! ;-)

Seems to me all you have to do is look at this author's "degrees" and assume he has a bias!

01-Sep-16
Ameobus, haven't lake trout been present in Yellowstone Lake for quite some time now? How long has the cutthroat run been reduced? Is it a fairly recent phenomenon? Is this shift by grizzlies from trout to elk a recent thing? Maybe elk were able to continue to maintain there population levels in the presence of more grizzly predation, but once wolves were reintroduced, now the combined predator populations have put the elk herd on the decline. As you said, population dynamics are very difficult to estimate. Definitely when considering multiple potential biotic and abiotic factors, ie., habitat degradation, grizzly predation, wolf predation, cat predation, drought, climate, etc. The theory of an underwater animal affecting a terrestrial animal like an elk population is different. Usually we talk about effects of land use on aquatic systems. Very interesting for sure.

01-Sep-16
I'm not going to read 49 studies.... the OP was about this show. IMO this show was mostly a smokescreen to try and take some heat off their precious puppies.

Is it "a" reason? Maybe. Is it "the" reason. No. Fewer elk have fewer calves. Each one the bears take becomes that much more important when the numbers are low to start with. The herd numbers were put in the tank by the wolves. Not Lake Trout.

There may be some Lake Trout effect and as an invasive species they are unwelcome in that area when they damage the natural species. Do what you can to get rid of them. But the herds aren't coming back without some serious predator management.... the apex dominant one, and the one that needs it most in that system is the wolf. Hunts and kills 24/7/365. If a bear takes their elk.... they go kill another one...

Bottom line this is stretch.... I'm told butterflies cause hurricanes too.... they have studies that "prove" it.....

01-Sep-16
Rut Nut,

Ralph Maghaun was merely paraphrasing the original studies. To my knowledge, he had nothing to do with any of the research.

Edit: He most certainly has a bias, just like many on this site do also.

01-Sep-16
WV,

I fired up my turd brain and read the research paper. They actually did show that grizzly bears had a significant affect on the demographics of the Yellowstone elk herds. Maybe it's not so small of an influence after all?

I think it's pretty safe to say the decline of the Northern Yellowstone elk herd was due to a myriad of factors, some of which were in play prior to wolves being reintroduced. The wolf is certainly part of the equation, but it is also not THE equation.

Sometimes I wonder if some of the armchair scientists who sit at their keyboard and mock some of these studies even objectively read them in the first place.

Read Craig Jourdonnais' study on elk population dynamics in the Bitterroot. It's pretty interesting stuff.

01-Sep-16
12yards,

In the mid to late 90's the biologist in Livingston was documenting two things: 1) a rapidly aging cow population in the Northern Yellowstone elk herd, and 2) very low calf recruitment. 1 could very well have been the cause of 2, but regardless, the handwriting was on the wall.

The late Gardiner cow hunt was immensely popular, which very likely prolonged it many more years than it should have been. Hunter harvest is one of the most significant factors affecting population dynamics, along with winter kill.

To be clear, I am not stating high hunter harvest was THE cause, it was simply one of several factors that when all were combined, drastically altered the population of elk in the NY herd.

Couple this with a healthy wolf and grizzly bear population in the park and it's no surprise that things leveled out where they are. I think you also hit a number of other less obvious factors that could add up to create significant affects.

01-Sep-16
Well, if my post proved one thing about science it would have to be those that use it to develop common reasoning, are unwilling to look at anything with "common sense". Thanks Amoebus for falling right in line and being the person to prove my point. You can try to make this as complicated as you would like. I'll make it simple. Simple works real well. It isn't a complicated matter.

JLS, I didn't read this study. However, I'm aware of other studies showing the effects that all species of bears have on fawn recruitment in all ungulates. They are the leading factor in mortality for the first 3 to 4 weeks. I'm also aware that habitat was the the leading cause of the start of the elk recruitment problem. This alone is the most determining factor in any ungulate or prey population decline.

So, here is my simple reasoning. This study really is researching the means instead of the cause. You can call me an arm chair scientist if that makes you feel better. You can insinuate I'm less qualified to say what I have, versus you stating that you think it is valid. But, then again, I don't have a turd brain either. :^)

God Bless

01-Sep-16
Those who don't want the wolf numbers managed use the arguement that they want things restored to what they were historically. This study proves, or rather admits, that the landscape is not what it has been historically. It is actually a study which proves that dynamics are different now, and shows how wolve and other predator numbers need to be limited in order to account for the less efficient fawn survival rate of prey species.

Great article in support of decreasing wolve and bear numbers, at least until the lake trout is eliminated from the system.

02-Sep-16
I happened to see part of the show the other night. As best I can tell, there appeared to be some sort of "devotion" to finding another cause beyond direct predation, and as soon as they found another piece of the puzzle, it was like the one before that was just "taken off the hook" so to speak. If you watched the end, you noticed that the end game was to place blame on man. Just another liberal fantasy-land piece really.

Lake trout in Yellowstone Lake have been an issue for quite some time. No mention was made of other fish species (besides lakers) taking the place of cutts. So, I am wondering how far these "studies" went, and if they only stopped when they found something that was acceptable for them to place blame on? Typically rainbows, browns, etc will take over stream locations formerly and currently inhabited by cutts. I would admit I don't really know anything about the abundance of these fish in Yellowstone Cutt waters, or their breeding activities, but just wondering if it was even a consideration in these "studies".

02-Sep-16
Having said that, I think there is some merit to their theory. Ironically, the most direct solution to the issue presented in the show would be to actually hunt grizzly bears.

02-Sep-16
Franzen - "So, I am wondering how far these "studies" went, and if they only stopped when they found something that was acceptable for them to place blame on?"

I didn't see the show but the initial study (and abstracts of linked studies) show that the bear diet since 1998 has shown a decrease in the trout diet:

"Since the late 1980s, the number of cutthroat trout in Yellowstone Lake has declined substantially. On some key tributaries, the number of spawning trout has declined by more than 90 per cent since 1990 (figure 3a) [13]. Over this same period, the number of bear scats and tracks, partially consumed trout remains and grizzly bear visits per week have decreased along active spawning streams [13,19]. By 1997–2000, the estimated proportion of cutthroat trout in grizzly bear diets had dropped by as much as 90 per cent [32]. By 2007–2009, trout consumption had declined another 72 per cent, such that trout appeared only rarely in the diet (figure 3b; [10]). The loss of cutthroat trout has led many biologists to speculate that grizzly bears would seek alternative foods, and potentially suffer demographic consequences [13,19,33]."

And an increase in he ungulate diet:

"In the late 1980s, the first large-scale study of the use of ungulates by grizzly bears estimated that an individual grizzly killed 1.4–5.8 ungulates per year, 13 per cent of which were elk calves [26]. By contrast, more recent studies have estimated that an individual grizzly on Yellowstone's northern range kills 19 calves per year [24]—and within the Yellowstone Lake watershed, seven calves during the month of June (figure 3d; [10]). In parallel with these increases, in the late 1980s ungulate tissue was estimated to comprise 5 per cent of the grizzly diet at peak calving time (figure 4; [14,18,26])—but more recently, above 50 per cent [10]"

And a quote from the '[10]' reference above:

"However, the proportion of meat in the assimilated diet of male grizzly bears decreased over both time frames. The estimated biomass of cutthroat trout consumed by grizzly bears and black bears declined 70% and 95%, respectively, in the decade between 1997–2000 and 2007–2009. Grizzly bears killed an elk calf every 4.3?±?2.7 days and black bears every 8.0?±?4.0 days during June. Elk accounted for 84% of all ungulates consumed by both bear species. Whitebark pine nuts continue to be a primary food source for both grizzly bears and black bears when abundant, but are replaced by false-truffles (Rhizopogon spp.) in the diets of female grizzly bears and black bears when nut crops are minimal. Thus, both grizzly bears and black bears continue to adjust to changing resources, with larger grizzly bears continuing to occupy a more carnivorous niche than the smaller, more herbivorous black bear".

It doesn't sound like they stopped looking once they found a 'button' they could push that would upset bowsite.

02-Sep-16
Modern wildlife managers, biologists, DNR public speakers still talk about predators "only taking the weak and sick." Yeah right. There are that many weak and sick elk in the area?? Wolves are just like anything else in Nature, they are opportunists and if the opportunity presents itself to take healthy animal they will. Once all the old, sick, etc. are eaten, what else is left? If someone is nipping your back legs for a few days on end, think you will end up weak and sick too??

02-Sep-16
You'd be weak and sick too if you had a wolf biting your face.

04-Sep-16
I wanted to read the actual study before I commented. Having done so, I have to say HUH???? to the hypothesis that somehow the declining number of spawning cutthroat trout in the Yellowstone Lake watershed is somehow a major contributor to declining elk populations in the greater Yellowstone National Park (YNP) ecosystem. In fact, the data in the study actually strongly point to other factors that must be driving the decline, since the number of elk calves that are killed by bears are so insignificant compared to the formerly total numbers of elk that migrate into/out of YNP.

Looking at the numbers, the authors report that the estimated total number of additional elk calves killed by bears due to the switch from largely spawning cutthroat diets to elk calves during the coinciding spring spawning/calving season is 231 calves. For pete's sake, there used to be thousands of elk calves coming out of YNP every year! Grizzlies in the Yellowstone Lake watershed could eat elk calves until the cows come home and not dent that population.

The research notes that "recent changes in the productivity and abundance of elk in the GYE are widely viewed as a consequence of recovering numbers of large carnivores". I think BigDan got it right. A few dozen bears chowing down on a few hundred calves in a limited area isn't going to shift populations by the thousands (if at all) that has been observed. Nice try boys and girls, but it's back to your drawing board (and grant$)

Winter kill from wolves, when elk of all age classes are most environmentally stressed and vulnerable to predation, has got to be a more significant factor. But it's nice to blame the evil Lake Trout, and I support efforts to attempt to reduce/eradicate it, not the least reason being I have heard, as one consumer reports above, that they taste like crap.

04-Sep-16
WOW,what a crock of BS.

04-Sep-16
Interesting though. I fish Yellowstone lake. The cuts were insanely abundant 20 years ago. A wetfly from a float tube. Just amazing. Now carch and release. Cant fish from a boat as it drifts along the shoreline. Too effective. Sad.

04-Sep-16
With regards to comment above about the palatability of lakers. They are really good to eat until they get maybe larger than 10 lbs. Then they are aweful. In my opinion.

• Sitka Gear