HDE 29-Aug-16
BULELK1 30-Aug-16
Charina 30-Aug-16
SteveB 30-Aug-16
IdyllwildArcher 30-Aug-16
BULELK1 31-Aug-16
BULELK1 31-Aug-16
29-Aug-16
As a teacher, getting time off to hunt elk is tricky. I am wondering if it is worth looking into Utah as the season starts around the 20th. With that date, I could get to hunt 7 days before school and still be able to travel home without taking time off.

Is there a lot of public land, are the bulls starting to respond to calls, how high, does a guy need to hunt (10,000')?

Are there other tricks or tips needed to hunt elk in Utah?

One last thing, if you know of an outfitter that does drop camps feel free to message me their info

29-Aug-16
Most all areas in UT are LE draw, which means you are limited to a cow or spike. There are a couple of Any Bull units, but alot of people as well.

If you just want to hunt and put meat in the freezer, the cow/spike option is a good way to go. Plenty of good elk hunting in the LE units.

29-Aug-16
How difficult is it to draw for a branch bull in a LE unit? Are we talking 5-10-15-20 years?

29-Aug-16
I'm going on 20 this year

29-Aug-16
What HDE said is correct. For as long as I can remember the hunt starts the 3rd Saturday in august, so it can be as early as the 15th. Most of the state is public land, but if you're after a nice bull, more than likely you'll need some points; if spike or cow is okay with you, there are unlimited archery tags.

29-Aug-16
Some people have drawn with as few as no points. UT has, in my opinion, the best point system. CO is horrible.

The really, really good units usually take 15 to 20 points. Some others take 7 to 10.

I actually have better odds now in UT than my home state of NM.

29-Aug-16
How difficult to draw a tag depends on a few factors. Utah's system allows people with 0 points draw a tag, but it has really low odds, but it happens all the time. 5-6 points will get some decent units depending on the year, but you'll need a boat load to get the great units. This year took more points than most because the hunt started about as late as it can get.

29-Aug-16
I drew and Le elk tag with only 3 points I also did the same thing in Nevada. When I did my hunt I got there on the 15 of Aug. and hunted water. I didn't here a bugle till sept 1st. But I had several elk comming into water.

29-Aug-16
That is the one thing about UT. The bulls, for some reason, start to make decent noise around the 1st of Sept.

I will be heading to my out-of-state "home unit" on Thurs. Should be pretty vocal, the daytime temps have been in the low 60's.

29-Aug-16
Please keep the info coming. It looks like I need to do some more digging but from what I see, Utah looks like an option to at least hunt elk and learn the game.

I'm a little confused about the LE units, are they also general units for spikes and cows, but you have to draw to shoot a branch bull? If that is correct, a guy could be in a great unit but just not able to shoot a monster bull. Again, if I am correct, a guy could hunt a zone for spikes/cows and learn the unit and then maybe draw for a branch bull after applying for a number of years?

I hope I am correct on that one.

29-Aug-16
UT has two types of units: LE units where the spikes and cows are OTC and the bulls are LE. They range from ok units to some of the best in the country. Some of the lower tier can be drawn with not that many points all the way up to needing 20+.

There are also several OTC branch-antler bull units. Like most OTC units, on average, they're not going to be the same quality of animals as far as size, pressure, and numbers, that you'll see in the LE units.

The Utah NR hunting lic costs $65 and you can use it for two draws if you do it right: First year, apply closer to the end of the app period. Then the 2nd year, you apply near the beginning of app period. You can do this because the hunting lic is good for 365 days.

If you hunt OTC every year in Utah though, you'll need to buy a hunting lic every year.

29-Aug-16
You're correct, the vast majority of the state is LE, but you can shoot spikes or cows, but no branched bulls on most of them. There are a handful that are completely LE and there are some that you can only shoot spikes on and no cows and this changes from year to year, so make sure you read up on whatever unit you decide.

29-Aug-16
^^ Yes, what ben h said. Do make sure you read and understand the regs. UT has some unique opportunities that's for sure.

30-Aug-16
You have gotten some really good advice.

The trick is do you apply for an LE unit for the big bulls?? or not?

If you do then go for the bow spike/cow (in some LE units) and get to know your LE unit of choice although you can cross hunt many LE units with the OTC spike/cow bow tag.

If you are not into the lloooooonnngggg wait/$$$ for an LE big bull tag, then go OTC Any Bull/cow units.

I prefer the Any Bull/cow tag as my LE unit of choice doesn't have any spike/cow tags available, which is great for me.

A buddy of mine had his son draw the LE Monroe unit with 3-4? points and arrowed a gagger of a bull......so it does happen.

Good luck, Robb

30-Aug-16
The bulls generally are not talking in the first week or two of the season. A few sporadic weak bugles here and there in the LE units, but those are from bulls you can't hunt OTC anyway. And they typically don't respond that early in the season. Yes, you can get out without taking vacation, but don't expect much more than a spot and stalk, or ambush hunt. It's tough in the early season.

If you are looking to "learn the game", I highly suggest doing the spike/cow hunts in LE units, and steering clear of the Any Bull units. Of course, I would suggest doing so later in the season, after school starts. But even in early season, I think you are better off learning about elk in the LE units.

30-Aug-16
If you want to learn the game why not an over the counter Colorado tag where you won't be limited to a spike?

30-Aug-16
Because he wants to hunt early before school starts and Utah's archery season starts significantly earlier than CO's.

31-Aug-16

BULELK1's Link
Reference this map for your units of choice.

It looks like only Monroe has spike only--no cow option for the bow spike/cow.

If the LE unit doesn't appear, then there is NO spike/cow option, there are a couple that do not appear----

When the map finalizes, click on a unit and the drop down gives you options.

The last option Read More is of great value.

Enjoy,

Good luck, Robb

PS--If you would like more private help, feel free to contact me

[email protected]

31-Aug-16

BULELK1's Link
This is a map of all the LE Bull Elk units.

A great suggestion is to print this map out and print out the Spike/cow--Any Bull unit map (my previous post) and simply cross-reference visually.

I hope these 2 maps are of value to you

Good luck, Robb

• Sitka Gear