TD 02-Sep-16
Franzen 02-Sep-16
Beendare 02-Sep-16
JordanMOFLCO 02-Sep-16
BigOzzie 12-Sep-16
Surfbow 12-Sep-16
GregE 12-Sep-16
29-Aug-16
So you shot a grouse or two on your elk hunt.

Here is nifty way to clean them and cook them up over the fire.

Find some wild carrot and sprinkle over the breast meat and roast

photo DSCN0294_zpsj80s3tze.jpg

29-Aug-16
Never shot em with a bow, but beaned a few of em with rocks! That's how we clean pheasants too. Pretty slick!

Is the wild carrot that you are using the same plant as Queen Anne's Lace, cnelk?

29-Aug-16
I've never had to cut the head off before. I also just fillet the breast off the breastbone rather than cutting the wings off.

29-Aug-16
If you take the time to pull the feathers, the skin is tasty and keeps the breast really moist.

If you get some water really hot, but not boiling, you can dip the bird in the hot water for a few seconds at a time till the feathers pull out easily. You can then pull the feathers off the entire bird in just a few seconds - otherwise it takes like 5 minutes. Cnelk's method is still pretty slick/quick though.

29-Aug-16
I try to shoot them...

30-Aug-16
One of these year I buy the small game license and give it a try. But being a non res I just never get a license.

Ed

30-Aug-16
One of my favorites, always have a judo or SGH in the quiver...

30-Aug-16

TD's embedded Photo
TD's embedded Photo
I had aggressive grouse charge me... close call.... lucky to escape with my life....

30-Aug-16
My 100gr SlickTrick @ 20yds did the job

30-Aug-16
No need to cut off the head and if he finished standing up, it would have been even easier.

30-Aug-16
I was going to say I never cut the head off it pulls right through, plus I love the eating the neck.

30-Aug-16
I even save the leg quarters. Pan fried grouse cannot be beat in elk camp!

30-Aug-16
mmmmmm tasty...a good old time trick on testing the water temp to scald a bird, (or hog), as it starts to steam (over the fire) take your index finger and flip it thru the water as quickly as possible, 3 times...wait about a minute, and try again...when you can't MAKE yourself go for the third pass, it's about 150 degrees. Perfect scalding temp to loosen hair or feathers. Sounds silly but it works.

30-Aug-16
Just pull the skin away from the breast and filet off the breast meat. No need to separate as in the top video. Tasty protein!

30-Aug-16
Make sure you check the regulations. Grouse are not legal game the entire elk season.

30-Aug-16
"Grouse are not legal game the entire elk season."

In Wyoming it is

30-Aug-16
MT too..

30-Aug-16
I shoot a lot of grouse, but we keep the legs, heart, gizzard, and liver too.

30-Aug-16
Step on the wings and pull, and then snap and twist the wings off with (no knife necessary). Easiest game bird to clean, and tastiest to eat, IMO. Can do this with Pheasants as well but it isn't as easy and clean.

30-Aug-16
In Colorado grouse are not open the entire elk season.

30-Aug-16

Hossfisher's embedded Photo

Hossfisher's Link
Yummy, love those gizzards and hearts. Legs can be a little tough on older birds. If my wife knew the price per lb I was eating grouse for as a NR in CO she would laugh her head off!

As a NR just wish they would have included the Small Game license instead of the fishing license on the NR Archery Elk Combo. Would have eased the hassle wrt wanting to fish before license arrives or when waiting for the leftovers. I have ended up paying for two fishing licenses in the past.

Remember in CO you need your HIP number. Season lasts thru archery elk. Also remember rabbit season doesn't open until Oct 1st. Would love to include a rabbit in the skillet if the opener was mid-September!

30-Aug-16
I was looking forward to a few Wyoming grouse this year until I learned what a nonresident license costs for them. I think I'll stick to mountain house and hopefully find time to catch a trout or two to roast over the fire.

30-Aug-16

JordanMOFLCO's embedded Photo
JordanMOFLCO's embedded Photo
From Colorado P&W: Grouse: Dusky Sept. 1 - Nov. 20 West of I-25 only

So yes, you can kill grouse in CO during elk season...all of it. Just don't shoot a sharp tailed grouse unless you meet those dates and in those units.

The bastards should die all the times they nearly gave me a heart attack leaping out of the brush along the edge of a meadow as I scan for sign. LOL

30-Aug-16
Thank God the Grouse police are here!

31-Aug-16

Well-Strung's embedded Photo
Well-Strung's embedded Photo
Yum, I never pass on a grouse unless there is elk bugling nearby.

31-Aug-16
CO elk season starts before Sept 1st. At least I hope it did because I was hunting last weekend :^)

31-Aug-16
I don't know about any bunny seasons where you're hunting.... but... be careful out there.... just in case...

31-Aug-16
So whenever i shoot at a grouse i explode my arrow!!! If i use the rubber thingys i have to be like at 45 yds to keep my inserts from blowing up. Does anyone bring another weapon? 22, air gun, slingshot?

01-Sep-16
"So whenever i shoot at a grouse i explode my arrow!!! If i use the rubber thingys i have to be like at 45 yds to keep my inserts from blowing up. Does anyone bring another weapon? 22, air gun, slingshot?"

I use a judo point, I had poor luck with the Small Game Head breaking too easily. I have become selective with my shots, only shooting when the backdrop makes arrow recovery likely. They aren't the smartest animal so if you are patient you can usually get a better shot.

01-Sep-16

Glunt; Good info there, I never go out opening week but might have forgot to check on start dates of Grouse versus archery elk! Thanks.

Shed: I had to quit using the rubber things for same reason. Modern compounds and stump shooting do not mix. Went to G5 small game heads and problem went away. I now only shoot at birds on the ground without rocks or logs behind them. Also use Judo points for practice while in the field and no problem. Only shoot at pine cones stacked up on grass for field practice as well.

My learning experiences included shooting a bird in the tree with one of my elk arrows. Had a bad case of grouse fever and never considered I might lose the expensive arrow. Complete pass though, LOL!! Who knows where it came down. NR license plus arrow equals real high $$$/lb meat! Switched to game heads next year.

Next year made the mistake of thinking if I moved until I had the tree trunk behind the bird that the arrow would bounce off the trunk and I would recover it. Discovered game heads into hard tree trunks at any angle is real hard on inserts! Again high $$$/lb meat.

Being much wiser now I passed up this bird!

Jordan: I have lost several shot opportunities due to grouse flying up as I stalked in for a shot. Spooked the elk & scared the pants off me! Worst than a covey of quail.

01-Sep-16
LOL Looks like CK and I were typing at the same time about being selective!

I have run into several non-elk hunters going after grouse. Some carried 22LRs. Wing shooters carried shotguns. One pair of guys the Dad had a shotgun for flushing birds and the son carried a 22 for stationary birds.

I have always been interested in taking a red dot scoped 22 pistol with a silencer and using the quiet 22 shells. Unfortunately I could not confirm for sure if silencers are legal for game birds in CO.

Did you guys see the Meateater show where Steve went with his buddy and his dogs? Looked pretty cool. Since grouse are on the ground so much the dogs could smell them.

Finally one tip I have learned. Since they often come in pairs or threesomes once one flies up hold your ground and scan for another bird on the ground near where the one flushed. You can often see another sitting still or sneaking off and as CK points out with patience you can sneak in on the second bird.

01-Sep-16

Beendare's embedded Photo
Beendare's embedded Photo
I love grouse as a mid day meal...or for dinner. I have a little zip lock of poultry seasoning in my pack just for that....and a dedicated grouse arrow.

02-Sep-16
I like the idea of a seasoning mix. Besides the poultry seasoning... what would some of you chefs choose as an all in one seasoning mix???

In HI, Japanese furikake is pretty popular.

Cat arras work pretty well for grouse too.....

02-Sep-16
I use poultry seasoning. I can't imagine anything better.

Try this though: Get some blueberries or huckleberries and mash them up in a pan/pot with 1/4-1/2 cup of whiskey (depending on how many berries you have. Use 1/4 cup for 1-2 people and 1/2 cup for 3-5. 1/4 cup for 1-2 handfuls of berries, 1/2 cup for 3-4) and mix in some powdered drink mix to cut the tart. Reduce over a flame till it's a thick jelly and dip the roasted meat in the reduction. It's absolutely incredible.

The reduction is also really good for squirrel/rabbit meat, but it goes best with upland birds.

02-Sep-16
Kind makes me think my cottontail/freeze-dried egg omelets were nothing special..... =D

but then... I didn't have any whiskey...... heheheheh....

02-Sep-16

Franzen's embedded Photo
Franzen's embedded Photo
Near the end of the hunt, so I brought this one home.

02-Sep-16
That berry reduction sounds amazing.

I usually bring a piece of foil in case I want to skewer one over a fire midday...works better than charring the heck out of it over an open flame.

Any better ideas for cooking over open flames?

02-Sep-16
cook over coals NOT flames....unless you like the taste of tanins and oils from the burning smoking wood. This ain't oak, hickory or mesquite you are burning up there....it is nasty old pine.

Burn the wood down to hot coals then cook over it.

12-Sep-16
Shot two this weekend they were a tasty lunch, cleaned them this way but didn't remove the heads, made filets out of the breasts and cooked them in an open pan.

Had good luck with the judo tips. Shot both while on the ground (fool hens), missed one in the tree (Ruffled) but made sure I had a tree behind it to stop the arrow. Jumped some blues also but they didn't stick around to get a second look at me.

I will continue to do this even at the risk of spooking elk. Besides I saw 20 grouse and zero elk.

oz

12-Sep-16
I whiffed at two grouse when I was out last weekend, I always aim at the head only so if I miss I don't end up with a wounded bird to chase around. The second one lost a couple feathers off the top of his head before he flew off. They are tasty little suckers...

12-Sep-16
I'm sure there is still an arrow stuck in the limb the grouse was on from 2004 NW Colorado....

Did get a couple though, The Cajun seasoning packet in the disaster style MREs really worked well pan fried.

• Sitka Gear