Franzen 20-Sep-16
Sage Buffalo 20-Sep-16
Amoebus 20-Sep-16
Bucksnort32 20-Sep-16
ghost30 20-Sep-16
29-Aug-16
Score Me
Score Me
I discovered a wallow. Well, I discovered a marshy, 2- mile long drainage which climbs to 8,000' +, and a mud puddle with a good deal of elk sign around it. I jumped 3+ elk the day I found the wallow, so I left my camera there for 2 weeks. The bull in the attached pictures appears to have visited at least twice during that time. In one picture, he, a second bull, and a cow all appear at once. Seems like most of the activity around the camera was between 1500 and 1800 hrs on any given day. A nice cinnamon black bear came by too.

I'm alone in this ordeal, and don't really know anyone personally who has any valuable perspective. I'd be greatly appreciative of any insight related to the following questions:

1) The wallow has lots of fresh tracks around it, and had lots of fresh scat the first time I was there. However, I cannot tell if a bull is actually wallowing in it. Some of the mud seems disturbed, but some of the water is clearer than I would expect it to be. Is it just that it is too early for real wallowing? Or is it likely that this bull's actual wallow is elsewhere in the drainage? And does it matter, now that I know there are elk in the area? Won't he probably visit with increasing frequency now?

2) I hung a stand 20'+ in a spruce next to the wallow. I'm worried it's too close/steep. I've shot my Mathews Heli-m for four years and am very comfortable with it, but have not shot from an elevated position. If an elk is standing on the far side of the wallow, it is less than 15 yards from me (horizontal distance) and over 45 degrees in angle. Does anyone have suggestions for how/where to practice in Missoula? I have limited time, and don't know where I can go. I'm pretty close to climbing up on my garage and shooting into my cube in the backyard, but am worried the neighbors are going to call the cops. My biggest concern at this point is that when it's go-time, and he's broadside or quartering away, I'm not going to be able to get adequate arrow placement.

3) I made my own static line/Prusik safety system which hangs all the way to the ground. The only climbing line I could find for sale by the foot in town was fairly bright red. Does it matter? Will he care it's readily visible during the times I'm not there? I've since ordered black rope. I also didn't wash it, which I'm feeling dumb for. I'm going to wash the new one before I pack it in. In the meantime, should the smell of the current rope be a major concern? Would he abandon the area over something like that?

4) I can go into details about the relationship of the wallow to the surrounding topography and my thoughts about the wind implications if anyone is interested. I really don't know what I'm doing, but want to maximize the potential to get a crack at this bull and to capitalize on it. I don't know if I'm controlling my scent effectively enough, and I don't have much good camo clothing.

My plan is to get up there between 0800-1000 hrs two days a week, hike in on contour above the fairly steep drainage to avoid disturbing them (I think they might be in the bottom all day/night because there's water, cover and food--if they're not, I simply don't know what their daily habits/movements are at all), and sit the stand until there's just enough light to hike back out. It's a 3 hour drive, however, so hopefully I can seal the deal before too long.

Any guidance/suggestions/criticisms would genuinely be appreciated.

29-Aug-16
My Guess = 260
Average Guess = 239
I hope you get him!

29-Aug-16
A 280 5x5? Not quite IMO. Prob more like 260, if that

Have you checked the wind currents there during the day? Typically wallows have wind that arent favorable for hunters, only for the elk.

My tree stands for elk are only 10-12 ft high. Elk rarely look up.

Bottom line is you found what looks like a good spot. Hunt it

29-Aug-16
Five valley archery club . They sell memberships at straight 6 archery. Good luck. That's a 220 bull and would be Great one to get . Hunt

29-Aug-16
My Guess = 235
Average Guess = 239

29-Aug-16
My Guess = 230
Average Guess = 239

29-Aug-16
My Guess = 230
Average Guess = 239
Take a couple smoke bombs into your stand and light one off at 0800 and noon and see what happens. That'll tell you how to get in there.

I wouldn't worry about the stand angle too much. If you can shoot deer close at 20 feet you can shoot elk close at 20 feet. They often times come into the water and hang around. I think you're over-thinking the stand height - you'll probably have multiple shots from multiple distances.

29-Aug-16
When you shoot from elevated, bend at the waist, maintain the top half of your body in a good T, just like standing on flat ground. Do NOT just drop your bow arm to shoot down.

If you bend at the waist, and maintain proper form (i.e., the T of your top half), the difference in arrow impact from the height is so negligible as to be discounted entirely at that range.

Good luck! Post his picture to the meat pole when you get him!

Bake

30-Aug-16
My Guess = 258
Average Guess = 239

30-Aug-16
My Guess = 225
Average Guess = 239
Good luck on your tree stand adventure!

30-Aug-16
My Guess = 228
Average Guess = 239
The higher, the better as far as scent. The higher you get the higher you shoot. This is even amplified if you don't bend at the waist as bake suggested.

30-Aug-16
What bake said.

Sounds like you never hunt from a stand. See if you can find someone with a climber to borrow. Go out to your local forest, climb a tree and practice. You will be surprised at how far you have to bend your waist to maintain properr form.

30-Aug-16
Looks like a great spot! I'd shoot that bull in a heartbeat! :)

Yes, bend at the waist when shooting. I think your concerns about the shot angle are valid. It's important to get an exit wound (IMO) for a better blood trail. If the shot is properly placed, he likely won't get 100 yards away and you may hear him fall. Since your stand is set and it may be the "best" tree in that setup, then hunt it. Be aware that hunting wallows can ba lonely deal; you may be there long hours without activity. But, they also pay rewards!

The wind may be thermals heading downhill in early morning and late evening. They will reverse and head uphill once the sun heats things up. This all depends on how shaded the spot is, cloud cover, etc. Strong weather systems can also produce wind directions that are not thermal related.

>>>>----Good luck!----->

30-Aug-16
I would lower the stand height to get a better angle and definitely practice for elevated position, if it's not illegal to shoot your bow on your property then don't worry about the neighbors. Check the winds and maybe build a ground blind to hunt from. The other thing I would consider is to set up and catch them walking to or from the wallow rather than shooting them in it .

30-Aug-16
My Guess = 238
Average Guess = 239

30-Aug-16
My Guess = 250
Average Guess = 239

30-Aug-16
I would need to know what the wind is doing during the times you plan on hunting the spot. The answer to every other questions will not matter if the wind is not in your favor. Especially for archery, knowing what the wind is doing is not just a good idea, a guideline, IT IS THE LAW!

Although I do not have much experience tree stand hunting elk, I hunt WT from a tree and I hunt elk from the ground.

I prefer to use milkweed from the stand and watch where it goes. If it isn't consistent or it blow's to where you expect elk to come in, it is a no go.

I would pay attention to Brad's and swedes comments regarding treestand for elk.

30-Aug-16
Practice shooting off your roof UNLESS it is illegal or unsafe to do so where you live. I spent a month on top of my roof shooting at a dall sheep target and had my daughter retrieve the arrows and throw them up to me.

30-Aug-16
Here he is again:

30-Aug-16
My stand is basically directly above the wallow. I'm regretting putting it so close. However, I have a good, if steep, trajectory on where he is standing in the pictures above, and an even better shot on where this group is standing:

30-Aug-16
Hate to be that guy. But all trail cameras in Montana had to be down by August 15th. I would maybe remove them if I was you. Hint

30-Aug-16
The flat part of the bottom of the drainage is narrow. 150 yards max at the widest spots I've seen, and a lot narrower in other spots, before it starts to climb steeply on either side. There is fairly thick Engelmann spruce and subalpine fir in it, transitioning to pure lodgepole pine up the slopes. The wind in the afternoon does seem to be predominantly uphill (toward the wallow seen in the bottom of the picture frames, and toward where the elk are standing), but it can be variable and inconsistent. I'm not sure where they're coming from, but the pictures lead me to believe they're coming up the drainage toward the wallow from below in the afternoon. So, I'd be good-to-go as they approach, but then blown as soon as they pass my tree? Or since the wind is variable and circular sometimes, they'll just never come at all, even though I'm going to do my best to conceal my scent and will be 20' off the ground?

Thanks everyone for your input. Really appreciate it. P.S., I pulled the number 280 out of thin air--I don't even know how scoring really works. But I hope his 380 uncle is still holed up and starting to stir!

30-Aug-16
I would shoot him before he gets to the wallow to keep away from the steep angle.

The closer they get with the steep angle, the smaller the kill zone. The backbone and scapula cover more of the vitals

30-Aug-16
Wow, I genuinely didn't know that, not that it's a good excuse. Thanks for the heads up HUNT MAN.

30-Aug-16
Ohiohunter my stand is in a tree to the left of the one my camera is in, and a bit further back. But not tree line. I see how treeline would be preferable. I'm amazed by how my decision making went out the window when I was in there. I thought about it for a good 20 minutes, and just couldn't decide. In the end I just wanted to get it up and get out of there to minimize my disturbance. I have a second stand and, even though it is a huge pain and the season starts Saturday, I'm considering hanging the second one with a different vantage.

30-Aug-16
Update: after talking with a Region 2 Game Warden just now, trail cameras only had to be down by August 15 in shoulder season hunting districts. Since no hunting season begins on the district these pictures are from until the bow opener, I was in compliance, and the camera could have stayed in operation right up until Friday (September 2).

30-Aug-16
The thing is everyone ha a different story when you ask them. Antelope starts August 15. Best of luck.

30-Aug-16
My Guess = 240
Average Guess = 239

30-Aug-16
My Guess = 220
Average Guess = 239

03-Sep-16
Wow, talk about overthinking something. Hope you don't work for the government. Just climb into your treestand, sit down and wait.....hunt!

04-Sep-16
Check with the forest service people in Missoula. There should be quite a few places (upper Blue Mountain) where you could place a practice block on a steep downhill and get used to shooting at that angle. I really like to practice every scenario ahead of time to reduce the 'what if' factor.

Wind, wind, wind, and wind midday is tricky. That's probably part of the reason why the elk are hitting the wallow then, they know the wind swirls and they will be tipped off to any predator in the vicinity. Then again, at 20 feet up they may not get enough of a whiff to spook out of there (good luck with that).

Smack the first legal one you can.

20-Sep-16
I have now sit this stand for two Saturdays and two Sundays, from around 11:00 am to 7:30 pm. Other than a 2x2 mule deer buck, no ungulates have walked by. The wind is constantly swirling, though I'm 20 feet off the ground and really try to control my scent as much as possible (i.e. wash all my clothes in scent eliminating detergent weekly and then store them in a bag with fir and pine limbs from the area, etc.).

I think this has turned out NOT to be a wallow, or at least not one being actively used for wallowing by a bull. I think it is more of a marshy bedding area with nearby cover and lots of springs. It is getting colder, and the rut is advancing in intensity. As I sit there hour after hour and no elk walk by, I wonder whether:

1) they're visiting/traveling this route less frequently because their habits have changed due to the rut.

2) It's been nearly full moon phase the last couple weekends, and they're not feeling the need to get up during the day and stroll through their system of grassy spots and water/mud holes in the afternoon, as they appeared to be doing in the game cam pictures.

3) I spooked them out of the area permanently by too much walking through the bedding areas and areas adjacent to the water trying to get a closer look at the tracks/scat/other sign.

4) That even though I think I'm controlling my scent, they actually have me scented form a mile away and are never going to travel this route/visit this area again until I'm gone.

So, last Saturday, September 16, I got tired of sitting and silently and bugled at around 4:30 pm. Before my bugle was even complete, I got a response. For the remainder of the afternoon, we exchanged bugles, as he chuckled, wheezed, and bugled at every one of my bugles. He would not, however, respond to cow calls. He was clearly holding in the thick, steep timber up the side of the canyon from my stand. I like to think it is the bull in the picture above. He came closer and closer, but stopped at probably 80+ yards, and I never saw him. It got dark and I had to slip out of the stand and back down the draw to my camp.

Sunday, I bugled around the same time, and from the same place, he immediately responded again. So, I said screw it, and went up after him. Over the course of an hour, I would bugle, get a response, check the wind, and then head closer toward him. 55%+ slopes and thick spruce, blow-down, and false huckleberry, basically the least convenient walking you can imagine. The closest I made it was probably less than 20 yards, but never even saw him. Again, he wouldn't respond to cow calls (maybe because mine suck), only my "Mac Daddy Qwik Bugle". Eventually his responses got further and further away, and then he was gone. As far as I could tell, though, he thought I was another elk the whole time. Once he was gone, I walked a 6 mile horseshoe through another couple drainages and got responses from two more bulls, but never got anywhere near either of them, as I was pissed off and disappointed and basically just

Do I need to get into my stand earlier, before daylight? Is there any hope he'll come all the way down to my stand? Is there any likelihood at all another bull will stumble through my setup? Is this more or less likely the further into, and then away from, the rut we get as September and then October progress? Finally, is four days far too small a sample size for determination of whether one is likely to walk by? Or would you be confident enough that the stand approach wasn't happening, abandon it, and just try to hunt from the ground? My problem is mainly that I am so lacking in confidence hunting them from the ground that I want to just commit to the stand, but am also losing confidence in the stand with each full day of sitting there and seeing none of the animal (bear and elk) abundance which appeared in the game cam pics in the weeks (mid-through-late August) leading up to the opener.

INPUT MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!!!

20-Sep-16

gcgaines's embedded Photo
Another pic from the series I got during two weeks in August. My stand is 20' directly above and to the left of where the elk are in this picture.

20-Sep-16

Thanks to everyone who has provided input. The information I've synthesized from this and other threads on this website has been invaluable. I'm spending every waking moment of my recreational time in my otherwise hectic schedule to drive three hours to sit in this stand alone all weekend, and really prefer not to feel like a total idiot when I'm doing it! Another one:

20-Sep-16
My Guess = 230
Average Guess = 239

20-Sep-16
My Guess = 235
Average Guess = 239
4 days during a full moon is not the best sample. I would stick with it (unless hunting pressure is bad). If you hear bugling you can then make a decision.

Good luck!

20-Sep-16
I will let others tell you how to hunt, but I couldn't tell if you knew where to put your pins when in the treestand? From this:

"2) I hung a stand 20'+ in a spruce next to the wallow. I'm worried it's too close/steep. I've shot my Mathews Heli-m for four years and am very comfortable with it, but have not shot from an elevated position. If an elk is standing on the far side of the wallow, it is less than 15 yards from me (horizontal distance) and over 45 degrees in angle."

Maybe you know this already, but the horizontal distance is all you need to know. Even if you are 50' up in the tree, if that elk is on the far side of the wallow, you use your 15 yard pin. If you are 100' up in the tree - 15 yard pin. If you are on the ground, 15 yard pin. (Follow the advice on body positioning too.)

Sounds like you found a neat spot. Enjoy the mountains and don't spend so much time worrying!

20-Sep-16
My Guess = 235
Average Guess = 239

20-Sep-16
My Guess = 245
Average Guess = 239

• Sitka Gear