Sitka Gear
Elk Scenario
Elk
Contributors to this thread:
APauls 09-Sep-16
Darrell 09-Sep-16
09-Sep-16
Just curious what guys might do. I had this scenario twice last weekend. Keep in mind I am in manitoba and the bush is so thick you can have bulls at 5 yards and not see them is a regular occurence

First Time: I cow called and had a response. Managed to use elk trails to work my way in fairly close and kept cow calling. Sounded like a bull and cows got to about 100 yards away with a satellite trailing a ways away. When they were 100 yards away I did my best to seduce them over bu they wouldn't come. No elk trails headed that way either, so it would be a fruitless crashing to get to them. Bull and cows moved off. I found a way over 30 minutes to circle around and had a response, now I am working the satlellite. Got pretty close and he just does the bottom part of the bugle. I work my way in thinking he is further than he was and busted him out. (Managed to stop him and get to 15 yards again, but he was just waiting and I never got a shot)

Second Time: Ran into a bull at 5:30am. MUCH before legal time. I never called yet, and of course he walks my way and he walks in to 8 yards and busts outta there. Had to wait and let him move off, got on him again about 40 mins later. Cow call and got response, I whisper my sweet-nothings and he won't come and sounds like he has moved off I don't know where, not responding. I move off his direction let out a locator bugle, he responds, game on. My thinking at this point is he's obviously not head over heels for cows so maybe I can piss him off. I go my best guess to where he is a few hundred yards away and bugle, he responds once again with just the first low end part of the bugle. Once again I think he is further than he is and I work my way that way and bust him outta there.

The bush is just so dang thick it's hard to pinpoint where they are, but both times they just did that low end part of the bugle they were much closer than I thought. Does this mean something? Has someone heard this consistently? It's like the first part of the bugle before it crescendo's up. Thinking back I think if I had it to do over again I would try and cut him off with that and blast a scream over his head, but I thought he was like 150 yards away, so I normally wouldn't do that when he is far away.

Thought maybe i could get some thoughts on the situation and what guys like to do in really REALLY tight bush.

09-Sep-16
In the thick stuff, I let them come to me. Patience is often the key. Sounding like a cow in heat with a small bull holding me in place will often bring them looking. Very hard to move to them in that situation.

• Sitka Gear