Fuzzy 13-Sep-16
Fuzzy 13-Sep-16
cjgregory 13-Sep-16
txhunter58 13-Sep-16
South Farm 14-Sep-16
muskeg 14-Sep-16
YZF-88 14-Sep-16
11-Sep-16
It's getting down to the wire for my wife's first archery elk tag here in Utah-Wasatch (ends Friday). She's been a trooper dealing with my endless and brutal hikes so far resulting in a few fantastic close calls and encounters. We need to be smart and possibly spike/ cold camp in a couple places this week to save our legs.

If we do this, I'd rather not deal with cooking a breakfast each morning. Any recommendations for a healthy cold breakfeast with adequate protein?

Please advise if you have any suggestions. Thank you.

11-Sep-16
I love the freeze dried breakfast from mountain house. Try the granola/milk/blueberries it's good..just add water.

11-Sep-16
Pop tarts, granola, energy bars, jerky, energy gels, precooked bacon, cereal (tough with milk). I often eat bars during hike in.

11-Sep-16
I've pre mixed ziplock breakfasts both hot and cold....an idea I got here on Bowsite.

I do granola with powdered milk and protein powder with a combo of dried fruits [prunes, raisins, craisins], almonds, pecans [unsalted] to your taste. I've also one this with Raisin Bran premixed..its whatever you like...you can eat those right out of the baggie.

I buy the components at Trader Joes....

11-Sep-16
I often have bacon and eggs for breakfast while hunting. If you haven't found it yet, Oberto makes bacon jerky. That stuff is GREAT! Combined with a couple of boiled eggs, and you can have a real breakfast.

11-Sep-16
peanut butter/honey/banana sandwiches. Stay good for a long time and give a lot of energy.

11-Sep-16
Great ideas we'll incorporate this week. Thanks!

11-Sep-16
Blueberries and granola from mtn house is great with hot or cold water. Their breakfast skillet is also great.

11-Sep-16
I hardly ever cook except when I go with partners that like warm meals. For breakfast I always have granola or heavier cold cereals with silk. If my memory is correct you don't need to keep silk refrigerated. I'm lactose intolerant so it works good for me.

11-Sep-16
Toasted sandwich with lots of peanut butter, honey and bacon. They last for several days. Pre-assembled and stored in separate sandwich Zip-locs. That and an instant coffee tube will make you feel like facing the day.

Credit to Cam Haynes for the original idea.

11-Sep-16
I make a combo of granola, dehy milk, and vanilla protein powder in zip-lock freezer bags. Add water, mix, and eat. Easy clean-up. The only thin you need to be careful of is packing these tightly as the granola can create pinholes in cheap/thin bags.

11-Sep-16
Hard-boiled eggs and bacon. For efficiency, I'll boil the eggs and cook the bacon before I leave home. Then I'll peel the eggs and put a couple of them, along with several strips of bacon (cold crunchy bacon tastes great), in a ziplock or small Tupperware, and eat them in camp, or in the pack they go.

If I'm concerned about getting to a spot at sun up, I'll eat the breakfast at my spot, or when I get hungry. I even bring along orange juice in a Nalgene bottle. Breakfast in the high country timber - doesn't get any better!

Good luck!

11-Sep-16

oldgoat's Link
Google MRE Star energy bars, not sure of the protein count but high calories and they are delicious and in tough packaging, same company makes a single serving bag of dried fruit. Trying to attach a link but they don't always work.

http://www.mre-meals.net/products.php?cat=Snack

11-Sep-16
Mt. House granola w/ blueberries, I have it at my glassing spot in the morning with a cup of Via coffee

11-Sep-16
As others have mentioned, I premix granola, powdered milk, and dried fruit. Add water and you are ready to eat. I'll also do Grapenuts with powdered milk.

I don't do much calorie counting, so couldn't tell you much about nutritional values.

A hot meal is still my preference, but I make it easy. A quick easy hot meal is oatmeal packets that take nothing more than boiling water.

11-Sep-16
Mtn House Granola with Blueberries is really easy and good and helps me get my morning rituals done before I get into the elk woods........

11-Sep-16
Two Pop Tarts and a 5 hour Energy shot.

Git er done!

Best of Luck, Jeff

11-Sep-16
Oh......I need to add that Starbucks double expresso energy drinks (mocha or coffee) are pretty nice at 4:30 am

11-Sep-16
I hard-boil a bunch of eggs before each trip. If you keep them cold, they last forever.

My breakfast each morning is a hard boiled egg with a salt and pepper packet, some Phillipine brand dried mangoes, and a Cliff bar - usually the blueberry or coconut chocolate chip.

I can do that breakfast for days on end and not get sick of it. Plus, it's a pretty good well-rounded meal for hunting.

11-Sep-16
Couple of hard boiled eggs and a cliff bar or two. Good luck

12-Sep-16
A bagel, with a wad of peanut butter (enough to make it 1/4" thick or so of PB) and bacon.

Put it in a ziploc bag...it is messy. But enough protein, lots of carbs, and fat (which is really what I want to sustain me). You will consume a fair amount of water if you try to wolf it down quickly.

12-Sep-16
Another vote for cereal and powdered milk. Add water and eat right out of the bag.

12-Sep-16
Granola and protein powder with water

13-Sep-16
Fuzzy's meal bars :)

13-Sep-16
Fuzzy’s Meal-Bars: 1 cup honey 1031 Calories Fat 0g Sodium 14mg (1%) Dietary Fiber 0.7g (3%) Protein 1 g (2%) Total Carbs 279g (93%) Vitamin A 0g (0%) Vitamin C (3%) Calcium (2%) Iron (8%) 1 Cup powdered milk 464 Calories Total fat 6.9g (11%) Saturated Fat 4.3g (22%) Cholesterol 83mg (28%) Sodium 620 mg (27%) Total carbs 59g (20%) Fiber 0g Protein 41g (82%) Vitamin A (1%) Vitamin C (11%) Calcium (142%) Iron (2%) 1 Cup flax seed meal 534 Calories Total fat 42g (65%) Saturated fat 3.7g (18%) Cholesterol 0g Sodium 30mg (1%) Total Carbs 29g (10%) Fiber 27g (108%) Protein 18g (36%) Vitamin A (0%) Vitamin C (1%) Calcium (36%) Iron (22%) 1 cup Steel Cut Oats 607 Calories Total fat 11g (17%) Saturated fat 1.9g (10%) Cholesterol 0 Sodium 3.1 mg (0%) Total Carbs 103g (34%) Fiber 17g (68%) Protein 26g (52%) Vitamin A (0%) Vitamin C (0%) Calcium (8%) Iron (41%) 1 cup Shredded coconut 283 Calories Total fat 27g (42%) Saturated fat 24g (120%) Cholesterol 0 mg Sodium 16 mg (1%) Total Carbs 12g (4%) Fiber 7.2g (29%) Protein 2.7g (5%) Vitamin A (0%) Vitamin C (4%) Calcium (1%) Iron (11%) 1 cup Chopped pecans 753 calories Total fat 78g (120%) Saturated fat 6.7g (34%) Cholesterol 0g Sodium 0mg Total Carbs 15g (5%) Fiber 11g (22%) Protein 10g (20%) Vitamin A (0%) Vitamin C (2%) Calcium (8%) Iron (15%)

1 cup Chopped Figs 371 Calories Total fat 1.4g (2%) Saturated fat 0.2g (1%) Cholesterol 0 Sodium 15mg (1%) Total Carbs 95g (32%) Fiber 15g (60%) Protein 4.9g (10%) Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 3% Calcium 24% Iron 17% 1 tablespoon Olive oil 119 calories Total Fat 14g (22%) Saturated fat 1.9g (10%) Cholesterol 0g Sodium 0 mg Total Carbs 0g Fiber 0g Protein 0g Vitamin A ( 0%) Vitamin C (0%) Calcium (0%) Iron (0%)

Heat the honey (I use blue agave syrup sometimes instead) in a cooking pot until very thin (don’t scorch it), turn off the heat, add in this order: Powdered milk, olive oil, flax seed meal, shredded coconut, steel cut oats, nuts, chopped figs. Stir each ingredient in well with a wooden spoon before adding the next. You can substitute dried dates, blueberries, cranberries, strawberries, apples, raisins, currants whatever. You can use walnuts, sunflower seeds, peanuts, slivered almonds, etc instead of pecans. It’ll change your nutritional values a little.

Press into a shallow rectangular 9” Pyrex dish, chill, then cut into rectangular bars. Wrap in foil oiled lightly with olive oil. Makes 12 servings@: (this recipie) +/- 347 calories ….about right for a quick, portable meal-replacement) Total Fat 94g (61% RDA)

13-Sep-16
Hard boiled eggs.

13-Sep-16
Bagels and peanut butter is one of my mainstays. Get pretty good carbs/protein/fat with that. Lots of good suggestions here

14-Sep-16
For you or her??

14-Sep-16
Mt House also has Biscuits & Gravy .... not cold but easy and fast and good.

We use the Granola & Blueberries for lunches, along with a snack pack.

14-Sep-16
For her. We just finished up the hunt with some tag soup...but breakfast was good!

• Sitka Gear