Shiloh 19-Sep-16
HDE 19-Sep-16
CO Oak 20-Sep-16
Rut Nut 20-Sep-16
Ziek 20-Sep-16
HDE 20-Sep-16
11-Sep-16
I'll try not to get to long winded.

On the third day of the hunt (Sept 3rd) one of my partners was set up (about 7:00AM) in area where we had been seeing a few elk and hearing a few bugles. About 7:30 he hears a lot of barking and strange whining type sounds coming from the creek bottom about 200 yards below him.

2 cows with 3 calves go running (not full out running, but moving along pretty good - spooked) up past him at about 30 or so yards - he cow called but they kept right on going.

Couple minutes later a rag horn 5 x 5 comes from the same general area but stays in some thick stuff - no shot. Right behind him was a big 6 x 6 - he came right up to about 25 yards but stayed behind some trees - full draw, but again, no shot. Then spooked and took off with a bunch of elk that were still out of sight but within about 30 yards.

Right then 2 big white dogs (sheep herders dogs) come running up from the same bottom so my partner shouts at them to call them off the elk.

One of the dogs turns and comes right at him up to about 10 FEET away, bares it's teeth and begins growling, barking and snarling at him, hair standing up on his back, with drool coming out of both sides of his mouth. Now I'm not one to shoot someone's dog(s) but I interrupted his story right there and told him my point of aim and release would have been right below the dogs chin - and instantly!

I asked him why he didn't shoot - he said he would have felt guilty.

I told him that I'm quite sure this isn't the first time these dogs have chased elk (deer, etc..) and from my point of view - NO GUILT WHAT-SO-EVER ... DEAD MUT!

A letter to the WY Game & Fish is being sent.

**The sheep herder moved in and set up his camp about 150 yards from us on our second day there (2 days before season). We were going to confront him about his dogs but he was gone when we all got back to camp.

The other dog stayed back about 10 feet behind the aggressive one and just barked. Both dogs held their ground as my partner slowly backed out and left the area.

If you were in that situation, would you have shot the dog(s)?

11-Sep-16
Not at all, could get you in more trouble than you want.

--Bill

11-Sep-16
If I felt the dog posted an immediate threat to myself he would have been a dead mutt. I am a dog owner and would not take it lightly shooting ones dog but the owner must have control over his animals at all times.

11-Sep-16
I'd shoot this thread before the dog.......just sayin :)

11-Sep-16
kill the dog, no problems

11-Sep-16
Those type of dogs are bred to do what they did. I would not shoot the dog. If you call this a "violent confrontation" I take it you haven't lived in the country? I can't count how many times dogs have acted like they were going to tear my leg off when I walked up to an unfamiliar ranch house.

11-Sep-16
Who do you think the local sheriff knows the sheep herder or you. Your buddy was right.

11-Sep-16
SSS shoot, shovel, shut up

11-Sep-16
Not shooting that dog but I always carry my 10mm so I would be confident that I could shoot before he closed the 10 feet. I sometimes consider leaving my gun to save weight but it sure makes me feel a lot better when I'm walking around in the dark...

11-Sep-16
Those shepherds don't seem to care much about the sheep dogs (or any of the regulations they're supposed to obey) and it's doubtful they are under any sort of control most of the time. They are not pets. Those dogs are big and could really tear you up, if I felt that threatened I'd probably have shot it rather than deal with a nasty bite wound out in the mountains.

12-Sep-16
My life and the general health of my arms and legs and throat would guide me when it comes to reaction of an animal that is aggressive. Bear, dog or chipmunk would get the same treatment. The thing with waiting until an aggressive critter or person is really close is you can not use your bow or rifle as anything other than a club. A handgun offers more time to react but most people are unable to retrieve a handgun from a holster or fanny pack prior to someone charging 25 feet and making contact with you. Trained officers often struggle to pull a weapon if someone charges from 20 feet. Your mileage may vary.

12-Sep-16
How far away form the sheep were the dogs?

12-Sep-16
Im guessing they were Great Pyrenees. Ive had few run ins with them near the Flattops. Ive also had some great conversations and done some trading with herders. Most I met were Basque and come from the same region as the dog breed. They have been a part of the West for a long time.

The dogs can be a pain and very agressive but in my case it was always a bluff. I wouldnt hesistate to kill one if needed, but that would be a hassle and could screw up some elk hunting time sorting things out with the herder, rancher or sheriff. Having been confronted by them a few times, i expect it to end with both of us in one piece.

As annoying as it can be, a part me also knows that when they are gone, another piece of the West will have disappeared.

12-Sep-16
Yes they were probably Pyr's. I've had a couple for the last 12 years. They're extremely protective of livestock and family and of course have strong herding instincts. Mine are obsessed with coyotes or any other predator that gets near my property. Unfortunately they won't harm the rabbits that get in my yard and eat the garden. The rabbits and dogs will lounge in the long grass together in the summer. I've never seen Pyr's that are violent to humans but they're huge and can be intimidating.

12-Sep-16
What part of that story was violent? I must have missed it.

12-Sep-16
There is a Great Pyrenees across the street that guards his property with his life but is like a baby when out side and with the owners. Dog's name is Peaches. Pain in the ass with his continuous barking when the residents are not home. Yes I have left two notes recently and the third time, the animal control with be contacted.

There are breed to protect the "flock" and patrol their area to encounter and chase away intruders.

I would not have shot the dog unless he was in my face and very close.

Your buddy made the correct choice.

my best, Paul

12-Sep-16
glad to see your buddy had some good sense.

12-Sep-16
Dogs are a dangerous animal. We have had a couple people killed in my home state in the last year by dogs. I would not hesitate to protect myself by any means necessary in the event of an attack. Sounds like he made the right choice as it was not an attack but a confrontation. Big difference with little distance between the two. Glad he wasn't hurt or mauled. Two dogs are more than twice as dangerous as one.

12-Sep-16
Shoot the one dog and the other will perceive you as a threat and probably would have attacked. Good luck with that.

12-Sep-16
Why didn't he throw a rock or stick at it to shew it away?

12-Sep-16
I agree with 320 Bull. There is a difference between a confrontation and an attack. If truly attacked I would do whatever is neceesary including killing it. I would also try like heck to avoid doing so.

12-Sep-16
You ran into a typical sheep dog doing what they do.In the area where I live sheep and hikers use the same areas and what happened to you is not uncommon.The best thing you can do is not back down and shout at them until they figure out you're not a threat to the sheep. Part of being out west.

12-Sep-16
Not me. My 45 comes out and down they go. The fact that its a sheepdog is irrelevant to me. If you are on private property that is altogether different.

Sheep herders, with an active lease, know that it is illegal for the dogs to harass game. Yes they can harass and even kill predators. That is legal.

Open range on public land is an entirely different matter. The public has every right to enjoy and experience public land without threat of bodily harm.

If I have to draw my sidearm, they are down. It is perfectly legal.

12-Sep-16
I would not shoot the dog unless I absolutely had to. I would not worry about the owner or the law. In most states I believe it is still legal to dispatch dogs that are running deer, elk, etc. As for Great Pyreneese just doing their job, and bluffing so don't worry. Well, it has been a few years now, but an official mountain bike race outside of Vail, a women racer was taken down but a Great Pyreneese. Be careful. I would only shoot if I had to, and I would not feel good about it.

12-Sep-16
I had one of these sheep dogs (a Mastiff or however you spell it) pin me down for over an hour once on a big log in the Flattops once. Meanest dog I ever say and he didn't back down until the sheep moved off. I thought about killing it, but then I'd have to deal with this sheep herder (NO HABLA) throughout the next 10 days and he looked as mean as his dog. Between that and the never ending smell of sheep piss and their tracks obliterating the elk sign I decided never to go back to that area.

12-Sep-16
Has anybody mentioned bear spray. If you elk hunting in WY you should be packing the spray. I little squirt would have resolved the situation. I got charged by a beef cow the other day and almost gave her a little shot.

12-Sep-16
Exactly why I pack a side arm. I would never shoot the dog. But, a well placed shot that would kick up some dirt in it's face will turn them every time.

I know an outfitter that killed two of them because they were chasing elk. Really pissed me off because he is constantly complaining about the elk eating his alfalfa. I lost all respect for him.

12-Sep-16
I spend a lot of time in the woods. I've had dogs that acted like the ones described. I've had them go farther than that. I carry a sidearm at all times while cruising timber for this reason alone. I'm not scared of bears. It's dogs. Dogs can be different when on the hunt with their pals. Handle it as the situation dictates. And, keep quite about it. These are problems that need to be handled with discretion. God Bless

12-Sep-16
x2 bear spray

12-Sep-16
10 feet away is about 1/4 second from your buddy if the dog decided to attack. Probably 2 bounds. He showed restraint.

What were the dogs doing with the elk? Trying to herd them?

12-Sep-16
I watched a sheep dag take down a buck a couple years ago in CO. One of the craziest things I have seen. Think it was killing just for fun. We ran the dogs off the deer by yelling at them, but it was too late. We called the warden and asked what we should do, deer wasnt dead yet but was dying, and he told us to finish the deer off.

12-Sep-16
Before you kill some ones dog you had better have bite marks to show. You mite as well kill the farmers cow or sheep than his dog. My dog is like my child you hurt her I hurt you.

12-Sep-16
We've run into those Great Pyrenees in the Flattops many times.

If you just start talking to them in a nice sweet voice, they go from baring their teeth, to wagging their tails.

Works every time.

Best of Luck, Jeff

12-Sep-16

Lost Arra's embedded Photo
I had the same experience as Jeff in the San Juan's of southern Colorado.

We returned to camp to find sheep everywhere. Driving the sheep out of camp brought on the dogs but they were friendly.

12-Sep-16

They sounded mean until they realized we weren't predators.

We packed up and moved soon after this.

Sheep and cattle were the reason I quit hunting that area.

Cattle flattened the tents.

12-Sep-16
BigDan, I am a land owner and grow horse grass. the farmers around me all know the laws. If your dog leaves the property and goes onto another's property with ill intent, i.e., raiding the chicken coop or harassing animals or people, it will be shot dead.

The laws on public land are just as valid. Any animal showing aggression, in any way, is good enough reason. That's what county sheriffs are for.

I've run into plenty of sheep dogs and they come in wagging their tails and looking for food. lol A dog knows the difference between a predator and a human. They are very well trained. Just like a bomb dog isn't going to signal on a Twinkie in someone's luggage.

Farm dogs rarely, if ever, leave the property. Stray cats and dogs are generally dispatched by farmers and ranchers. They know that primal instincts will take over if it's hungry. Even a beloved pet dog will feed on its owner's body in a pinch.

I wouldn't want to see anyone loose a beloved pet. :(

12-Sep-16
I don't take chances, so as soon as I saw that dog I would have had my hand on my pistol. If I perceived a threat, it would have come out and been pointed at the dog. And if the dog became aggressive and encroached on my personal space, I guarantee it would have been shot BEFORE it got close enough to bite. And If the owner acted in the same manner, he would have received the exact same treatment!

12-Sep-16
I am definitely not going to get any bite marks... I've had dogs that I loved almost as much as children. They never, ever, acted like the ones described. If they did, that would be the end for them. I also wouldn't let a person shoot at me before I shot them.

12-Sep-16
I'm just back from a bowhunt in CO. The sheep in the area we hunt were gone. So, we did not have any sheepdog interactions. In years past, the dogs I encountered barked but eventually calmed down and approached. I even petted them after the dogs were given time to sniff.

I would not shoot one of them unless they bit first and could not be driven away. Thats just my way.

A question I have is how these dogs are fed? When we hunt, we find sheep remains here & there. There is never enough left to determine how it died. Does the sheep herder bring food to them each day or what? The ones I have petted were very skinny.

>>>>-------->

12-Sep-16
Anybody that thinks these dogs are pets hasn't seen them. You wouldn't let them play with your kids, I assure you! Not the ones I've seen anyhow..

12-Sep-16
I'm with Rut Nut. I anyone thinks they are going to be quick enough to protect themselves from an attacking dog...better have a gun or knife already out.

You have zero chance if it attacks. Its way too fast. I've been attacked before. Not by a sheep dog but in general. The problem with seeing everything in slow motion is that you are also moving in slow motion.

12-Sep-16
A good reason to carry a pistol and have it out. A bullet right by the head and it would be gone.

I had a situation a couple years ago in MT - walked by a guys camp and he had an enormous (175lbs?) attack dog on a chain by his camper. Looked like a pitbull on steroid - maybe an English mastiff. Thing saw me and took off running straight at me snarling as it went. Hit the end of the chain so hard it completely flipped over backwards. I had my holster unclipped and hand on my pistol, but the chain held. About that time a skinny skanky looking skinny dude came out of the trailer. He and I didn't say a word, but I kept my hand on the gun. Figured the guy was a methcooker and had the dog to guard his setup.

Was real glad the chain held - otherwise I had a bad feeling I was going to have to shoot the dog and then maybe the owner. Bottom line, if a dog is moving in on you it goes down real fast and you really don't have time to think, just react. If a dog is in my grill and acting aggressive but not moving at me I'd try yelling or pretending I was picking up a rock to throw, even if one wasn't there (a trick taught me by someone who lived in South America where dogs do eat people - the fake rock trick works). Two dogs are much worse if they are working in tandem because you can't keep an eye on both of them.

12-Sep-16
"You wouldn't let them play with your kids, I assure you! Not the ones I've seen anyhow.."

And I wouldn't let most kids play with my dogs. Not unsupervised anyway, unless I knew the kids pretty well. So what's your point?

I've run into sheep dogs every now and then in the mountains, and never had an issue. I've also seen people react totally inappropriately to dogs, creating a problem that didn't exist. The dogs I have seen actually attack - very few - did so WITHOUT any warning. Just like most animal encounters, the first sign of a real attack is when they're already on you.

12-Sep-16
Sorry to ruffle your feathers Ziek. Guess I had no point at all in relaying my story and I made the whole thing up. Maybe I'm suffering from whatever Hillary has..

12-Sep-16
i had the same thing happen in WY .. these dogs are doing what they are put there for protect the sheep . They are nasty SOB never back down or run !. thats really not violent hunt in grizzly area then report back .

12-Sep-16
Why are people worried about protecting themselves from bears and not dogs? Bears are just "trained and breed" to do what they do as well...

If someone's kid came after me and threatened with imminent danger, I would expect to defend myself. If that same kid inflicted harm through contact, that kid would be charged with assault and battery.

Why would someone's dog expect anything less. I have a wife and kids at home and their interests always come first. At ten feet and bearing teeth in attack mode, I would have probably shot it.

12-Sep-16
Didn't say you made anything up South Farm. But just because they're not "pets", doesn't mean they are out of control killers either. If they were, they'd be worthless as working dogs.

I've also seen as much variation in how different people react to dogs as how dogs react to people. I wouldn't try to cuddle a strange dog that was snarling or growling or even had his ears laid back. On the other hand, I wouldn't be afraid of a dog romping in my direction, tongue lolling and tail wagging. But I have seen others do both.

12-Sep-16
Because I love dogs I've always given angry-appearing dogs the benefit of the doubt. So far it's worked and I haven't had to use lethal force, but one of these days I might get burned (or bitten!).

Since I've started carrying bear spray I might be less reluctant to give them a squirt or two, however. There's no long-lasting damage with pepper spray.

12-Sep-16
Curvebow Ive been friends with a sheephearder for a long time. All his dogs he brings food in just like he does for the guys that stay out with the sheep. The dead sheep are killed by coyotes and bears. He lost 60 something sheep a few years ago just to predators in a summer

All that i have come across are very protective of the sheep. Thats there job, try not to walk in middle of the group. If you see them just start talking to them and they calm down real quick.

Tip Most of the herders are from south America where i hunt. Its a very broken spanish. And they dont speak english. But these guys have just spent the summer in the mountains and they know where elk are. Bring a map and a bottle of whisky and. They speak enough. You hand them them the bottle, and ask where elk are on map. They will show you

12-Sep-16
I'm not scared of dogs and in the situation here I don't think I would have shot but I wouldn't be too hard on someone who had. Different experiences make situations look different and to someone who's had a bad experience with dogs in the past it could feel way more threatening than it would to me.

Any dog big enough to knock you off your feet can put you in a world of hurt. My cousin was delivering a shed about 2 months ago and was out in the yard with the landowner looking at where to place the shed when the owner's pitbull blindsided him and knocked him off his feet. Luckily the owner pulled the dog off and all he had was 2 punctures on his upper arm. The owner offered to take him to the ER and report everything but he didn't want to deal with the hassle and just left it. He just said that he's never been scared of dogs (he lives and breathes coonhounds) but that if the owner hadn't been there he would've been in serious trouble. The big difference I see here is that the sheepdog is likely to have had much better training than a random persons yard dog. However, it's still an animal and like humans they can do stupid things that defy logic and training. Just realize that they are physically capable of causing you bodily harm even if most would never try.

12-Sep-16
The sheep were about 200-300 yards away and moving through the area - the dogs were just doing what they have been trained to do - clear the area of any threats to the (their) sheep - I get it and totally understand that.

These same 2 dogs were in our camp just the day before, sniffing around, doing what dogs do. I told the dog to "go on, get" and the one put it's tail between its legs and walked away. The other one just stood there looking at me showing no emotion - good or bad - and after a few seconds turned and followed the other one.

The fact they were chasing the elk irritates the hell out of me, but NOT to the point of shooting them.

And I understand the idea of a persons pet being almost as important to them as their own kids. This was NOT a persons pet - it is a working dog, and again, doing what it was trained to do.

I've had some bad experiences as far as being bitten by dogs - I certainly didn't enjoy it and definitely will not allow it to happen again, if I can help it.

I first said I would have shot that dog in a heart beat, (and the situation that my partner explained, I would have) now after reading some of the comments, if something like this happens to me I'll have my handgun out and pointed but will hesitate on pulling the trigger until the last possible instant.

BUT THE SHEEP HERDER (NO HABLA - BE DAMNED) HE WILL GET AN EAR FULL!!!!

12-Sep-16
I read nothing violent in this encounter. This is very typical, appropriate behavior for sheep dogs, and there is no reason to harm these dogs. I was "confronted" by two sheep dogs this past weekend in the exact same manner, but I was moving past the sheep in the semi-dark. Dogs got a whole lot closer than 10 feet while still barking and "acting" aggressive. Yes, I was nervous, but talked to the dogs and while still barking and "threatening" me they sniffed my legs and eventually my hand. They could have easily bitten before I could react, but settled down once they had sniffed me.

I had my other hand on an arrow in the quiver, and if bitten, and ONLY if bitten, would have resorted to defending myself by stabbing them. While I don't like their aggressive posture and demeanor, this happens to me typically once or twice a year in different areas I hunt, and I've never had a problem. After enough years in the mountains and a few encounters you realize it is part of hunting out west. These are not wild dogs, but highly trained guard dogs doing their job.

Those of you who want to talk tough on the internet and shoot dogs that are 10 feet away will likely spend more time in a court room and talking to officers than I desire. A little maturity and common sense can go a long way.

Your buddy did the right thing by taking no action towards the dogs.

Bill

12-Sep-16
If a dog failed to stop charging me when I yelled I think u know what would have been done, as for chasing game and the dnr office would be notified where to shoot them.

12-Sep-16
Once you have been confronted by rabid dogs, you think differently. Although these were not, I was once and you think differently than if you never have.

If you feel threatened by an animal and you act in defense, a court would do very, very little.

It's not tough talk, and maturity as little to nothing to do with it.

12-Sep-16
I don't believe elk were that close to the sheep,dogs,your camp,his camp. Stuff is starting to not add up. If you are with in 200 yards of the sheep the dogs will come after you. I grew up in the mountains of Colorado know alittle about it.

12-Sep-16
You shoot a herders dog you better have some bit marks to show him and the sheriff. Herding dogs are there to defend their family(flock) so you can't shoot them for that. But I would definitely have the pistol out and ready just in case.

12-Sep-16
In 2007 or 08 a buddy of mine had a bunch of his kids and cousins playing in his yard and a pit bull came onto his property (he'd encountered it a few times, but never with kids). He shot it just below the eye with a .45 and miraculously it somehow didn't kill the dog, but messed it up really badly. Regrettably the dog belonged to an M3(?) Honduras gang leader of some sort. He received a few threats and some minor vandalism more than likely as retaliation. He reported everything to the police and he was cleared of any wrongdoing, but the police told him if the retaliation escalates, there is little they can do to protect him and his family, but they would investigate anything after the fact. This was during the housing crash and he was really underwater, so he just packed the family up and moved; I think it took the bank 2.5 years before they finally foreclosed. If you get in a situation with a threatening animal and decide to shoot it, court is the least of your worries in some cases.

13-Sep-16
Pit Bulls are much different than herding dogs. Most aren't trained well and they're more prey driven plus the genetics are notoriously bad for the breed. A lot of people will treat all dogs the same if they don't know any better.

Last year I had just left my house with our little 30lb mutt for a hike in nearby forest. About 50 yards from my gate I noticed the neighbors pit bull come out of the trees alone about 30 yards away and then take off in a dead run for us. I had pepper spray in my holster instead of my gun and just got it out as the pit reached us but the pit didn't care about me and was trying to get our mutt. I managed to get off a half spray at the pit and he immediately took off for his home.

I talked to the neighbor the next day about their dog and they said it was a rescue that they were taking to numerous classes to socialize it. They're good people with good intentions but I told them that sometimes I carry something stronger than pepper spray and to make sure the pit doesn't get out again because I have a wife and two young kids who might not be able to deal with that Pit. The funny thing was my Pyr's could see the whole incident with the Pit from inside our fence and we're just going nuts trying to get out come to the rescue. I doubt I would have been able to get them off of that Pit until there was nothing left of him.

13-Sep-16
Wow! Another" Animal Rights discussion," among hunters. And hunters who value their animals as much as they do humans?

13-Sep-16
It's threads with responses in it like this one that make me embarrassed to be among you! Many of you are so quick to shoot a dog yet would be ready for retribution if someone shot your pet dog if the shoes were reversed. So what you want but you all make me sick!

13-Sep-16
This should be a lesson to every hunter, scout the areas you hunt, do so research. Cattle and sheep are in the same areas we hunt, call the USFS or BLM and find out when the and where the cattle and sheep are and when they will out. Most often they are out of the hills in October, the cattlemen and sheep herders are sometimes a pain in the ars, but for the most of it are good working men.

I for one don't think of this as a animal rights discussion. I think of it as hey you better know what you are in store for hunting out west, it is the WEST not the the EAST.

13-Sep-16
You showed more restraint than I probably would have. I don't get all the indignation - once an animal shows marked aggression towards a human outside of a home protection setting, all bets are off.

BTW, I own two dogs and love them.

13-Sep-16
Dogs are animals. You guys that treat them like people and refer to them as your "kids" are out of line. If any animal is putting any human in danger it should not even be a question as to what needs to happen.

13-Sep-16
I know some people that had a dog in their camp one year while they were elk hunting. A Game Warden came into their camp as just a drop by and the dog approached him barking. The Warden immediately dropped his hand to his service weapon and told them to call the dog off.

So, why is Law Enforcement entitled to defend themselves but civilians (hunters) are not, or is it just a natural reaction to defend yourself as an innate response to survival?

Dogs are animals. The sheep hearder is responsible for his dog (property) while on public land. That's all there is to it.

13-Sep-16
HDE, Have you ever run into sheep in the woods? 99% of the time the herder doesn't speak a lick of English and it's just him with 100's of sheep scattered all over the mountain.There is no way he can be in control of the sheep and his dogs at all times. The area where I live makes it public as to the location and movement of the herds making it easy for locals to avoid areas they occupy. I would suggest if people are afraid of sheep dogs to simply contact the local ranger station and ask. Besides, if you're being hassled by dogs and/or sheep you need to get out of there anyway because Elk don't like them either.

13-Sep-16
SBH - I don't consider our dogs as kids, but they are a part of the family. They have not been raised to be mean towards others, and will greet you with a sniff and a wag of the tail. They will also defend us and our home without hesitation. You show aggression towards anyone in our family, they will react and defend. That's loyalty... A dogs greatest virtue.

From the description given, these dogs were simply doing their job. They view elk, moose and deer no differently than a coyote. They're going to chase it off and continue to chase until they're assured the flock is safe. They will also show the same defensive aggression towards humans should we approach the flock. That's what they're trained to do.

13-Sep-16
Attacking dogs growl but growling dogs don't attack. The only caveats to that rule of thumb are a sick animal and forced provocation. What transpired in the OP is a peaceable encounter, though, I know some folks get unhinged at any form of aggression.

13-Sep-16
I'm pretty sure that what your saying is true BigRed.

The sheep are only entitled to the grass. That is all. Its not hard for a hunter or hiker to be walking the game trail and suddenly finding themselves in the middle of a herd of sheep. Which is what happened to me. The sheep dog just came up to me and was as calm as can be. He did a couple of circles around me and wandered off.

I believe that is training. Showing aggression to a hunter or hiker for exercising their right to traverse the land is subject to scrutiny. The herd only has grazing rights. Nothing more.

Special note: If there are sheep in your area, DO NOT drink any of the stream water without purification practices. Giardia is carried by sheep. If you purchased some of the original Lifestaws, they did not remove the Giardia lamblia. If you have a more recent one it removes 99.9%. Use only in an emergency. Sheep are quite nasty.

13-Sep-16
Your shoot the dog mentality is infuriating. You are sensationalizing a dog doing what he was trained to do, you were not at risk. Protecting stock from wolves and lions is a serious business. when you come out west with your eastern attitudes it really pisses us locals off. Dealing with agriculture is part of living in the west. Inform your self or stay home.

13-Sep-16
I get it. I love my dog. I will like yours if it isn't mean. I love all good animals. I also would kick the guts out of someone who hurts a dog Without cause. I know the dogs the OP described were doing their duty with no ill intent to his friend. And, believe his buddy acted appropriately. Because that is what they do. Protect their herd. Had they advanced then his buddy had every right to defend himself.

I've heard people say anyone who talks of protecting themselves was just talking tough. I'll say get your rear end in the woods and have a couple"good dogs" decide you are going to be dinner. See what you think about how innocent Rover is then. It isn't tough talk. It is what it is. A dog got out of line and a person decided their interests were more important than the dogs. Simple enough.

I've been around these dogs described. I've had them get aggressive. I've had to talk to them to calm them down. They meant no harm to me once they knew what I was and that I offered no harm. But, to insist they have to bite in order to warrant your defense is ignorant. These dogs if intent on immobilizing the threat, will kill you quickly. They are huge. And have a pack mentality. Once one gets on you, the others are likely to follow suit. I'm not about to willingly allow that because it equals death. You can if you want. I won't and don't mind if that bothers you. Keep your dand dog under control and it won't be a problem. Remember, hunters have as much right to be on public property as any herd dog. It isn't unreasonable to expect the dog to act as appropriate as the Hunter.

When/if they are presenting you harm, they need to be dealt with as such. Just like a human.

13-Sep-16
First of all in the OP, the hunter wasn't injured and the dog wasn't injured. Pretty clear cut that the right decision was made. Your level of fear is determined by many things, including YOUR familiarity with the particular animal, situation, and previous experiences, and is NEVER a good reason for lethal force. This has nothing to do with animal rights. There are laws protecting property such as pets and working dogs, and even wild animals. If you break those laws, you should be prepared to defend yourself with more than "it scared me", or "I thought it might attack".

As far as dogs running game. That pi$$es us all off. The proper response is to report them, with photos if possible (who doesn't have some type of camera with them?). I know of no place where that isn't illegal, except in some backwoods southern states where they run deer with dogs.

With all the anecdotal evidence given here, not one recounts a herd dog in the backcountry actually attacking anyone. The only thing I worry about at all is if I encounter one when accompanied by my own dogs. That can be a much more dangerous situation. If a dog is going to be mauled or killed, I will do all I can to make sure it's not my dog.

As for law enforcement; that has been addressed recently in Colorado, after too many instances of trigger happy LEOs killing dogs unnecessarily while investigating on private property. And in the instance cited above, all he did is prepare for the worst. No weapon was actually deployed.

13-Sep-16
These dogs are nothing but mongrels protecting the welfare ranchers range maggots on our public land.

There is very good reason to be very cautious around them.

http://www.denverpost.com/2014/08/24/guard-dogs-continue-to-frighten-hikers-on-high-mountain-trails/

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2016/02/10/colorado-mountain-bike-dog-attack-suit-settled-for-1-million/

http://www.westword.com/news/dog-attack-bicyclist-renee-legro-mauled-for-twenty-minutes-sues-sheep-herders-5821289

This is the very reason I carry a Glock now when bow hunting, I wouldn’t hesitate 1 second to shoot one if I felt it was going to bite me.

13-Sep-16
Good post Dinkshooter.

There are dead people and people chewed up that would agree as well.

13-Sep-16
OK Dinkshooter, two examples. The first is pretty much what I said; no actual attacks, just fearful people, or mostly one fearful person. And one, not fearful, in defense of the dogs, and the practice.

The other two were the same attack, so you only get credit for one actual attack cited over decades, and that attack happened back in '08. It's also complicated by the fact that the dogs' owners were previously cited for having dangerous dogs. Clearly a people problem not a dog problem. Also the dog attacked a bike rider. Just shows good common sense on the dog's part to me. Just kidding. You also should ALWAYS be cautious around any animal you don't know personally. That's not justification for shooting them.

I am curious about one thing though. The rules in a wilderness area are totally unfair. In most, it's illegal to have a dog off leash, even for the purpose of legal hunting. Clearly a violation of our rights to enjoy public land. However, it seems that sheep owners are exempt from this law. I sure wish sporting dog associations would take up this inequity. A hunting dog under direct supervision is sure less of a potential threat to wildlife and other users (the reasons posted for the law) than a largely unsupervised guard dog.

13-Sep-16
Fortunately, I'm only concerned about my safety and returning home safely when out in the hills and not someone's "property" in a dangerous situation. I'm quite certain my family feels the same way.

I would not want to shoot someone's domestic canine, but would in a heartbeat if I felt it was warrented. I will not wait to see what happens, because it could all be over in the blink of an eye for you.

And, I do live out west and have my entire life, so no "Eastern" mindset here. Dog owners have a responsibility and accountability, no matter what and no matter what language they can't speak.

There are also laws that protect hunters from being harrassed as well. It would end up turning into a pissing match in court. Granted, no harm came to the dog in camp I referenced above, but the protect yourself instinct is there regardless.

13-Sep-16
A pretty non violent confrontation from what I read. A little common sense goes a long ways in these scenarios. If you run into sheep in the mountains, odds are there's some Pyrenees close by. If you don't want to interact with some massive dogs that have centuries of breeding in their background, for the specific trait of protecting what it sees as their family, then don't go through the middle of a band of sheep. If you feel you are entitled to walk through the middle of them because they are on public ground then expect to defend yourself or get chewed on. I prefer to back off and go around myself, rather than walk through the band of sheep and getting charged by a couple of Pyrenees.

Yes, many of the sheep herders don't speak much, if any, English. What many on here don't realize is that many of the herders are actually brought here by their employers from South America (I mostly run into Peruvian herders) because of the lack of people willing to spend the months on end tending the sheep alone or know how to do it. During our fall and winter (spring and fall south of the equator) most of the herders are back in their countries of origin tending the sheep there. I honestly like knowing that sheep have been in the general area I hunt, as it more often than not means that predators have been causing issues with them through out the summer, and government trappers have been in to deal with the issues.

13-Sep-16
Their job is to protect the herd from wolves and coyotes. These were chasing elk. They were not properly trained. They confronted a humane. They were not properly trained.

Claiming they were just doing what they were bred to do is true, but no excuse for not being properly trained to control or put limits on their natural instincts. There may be no way for the sheepherder to control his dogs all over the side of a mountain, but that's his problem.

The sheepherder would not have a legal leg to stand on. If a person can shoot another human if they feel their life was in danger, then even more so for a dog.

(Note: none of the above applies to police dogs, they enjoy near human status.)

13-Sep-16
I find it quite humors that a small percentage of so called sportsman/ hunters/ conservationists get so outraged at things such as this. So willing to pull a gun out a wipe out a herders dog because the dog barks at them warning them to stay away from the flock. Or, kill anything that gets in the hunters way of killing an elk or deer or whatever their game is the are pursuing is laughable. As long as it's legal for sheep herders to have their animals on public land and their dogs are there to guard them then it's something that hunters have to deal with without shooting the dogs. It's not a animal rights thing it's called being an ethical Hunter/ human being. Too many John Wayne's acting with all the bravado saying kill it. As I have stated, if you are truely being attacked or feel that you will be attacked,ie the dog is advancing on you then you have the right to protect yourself, but you better be able to prove it. Just because you have a firearm In your pocket doesn't give you the right to kill whatever for whatever reason you like.

Its like talking with some with ccw permits, when and what they think they can pull their gun out

13-Sep-16
"If a person can shoot another human if they feel their life was in danger, then even more so for a dog."

Well they can't, in either case. There's much more to a defense of using lethal force. And it's worth noting that the DEFENDANT is the one who used it.

13-Sep-16
LB

The difference in a ccw case and human confrontation is humans have rights granted under the Constitution and humams have the ability to reason.

Animals just do what they do, violently sometimes, sometimes not. Who is willing to gamble? In the situatiom painted at the beginning, you would not be able to react fast enough with a bow if it were to go south. That decision would have to be made ahead of time.

13-Sep-16
I did a thorough search. The is no law that prevents any human from defending themselves from a presumed threat from an animal. Growling, snarling and threatening gestures are considered presumed threats.

Police as well as average citizens reserve the same rights in this.

If you think its a threat per that definition...you can wack it. There are limitations on private property of course. If you are going to someone's door and a dog comes running around the house and attacks you, you may kill it in any manner you please.

If there are attack dogs, the property MUST be properly labeled with readable warning signs. Counties and Parishes of course may have different laws. I am only citing Colorado.

Dogs are not humans an humans are not dogs.

13-Sep-16
"If you are going to someone's door and a dog comes running around the house and attacks you, you may kill it in any manner you please."

And if you do it with a firearm, under CO law, with gunfire at my front door, I would be justified in returning fire. Just saying.

13-Sep-16
HDE, yes I know the difference, I was refering to hearing circumstances of when ccw holders would use lethal force and it's scary , and it's comparable in the sense that some of the guys out here saying they would shoot someone's dog. To quick on the trigger, and just because you may think you have the right to use deadly force doesn't make it so, you better be able to prove you needed to take the actions you did, and just because a dog is barking and growling at you doesn't give you the right to kill it.

13-Sep-16
Incorrect Perdue, their job is to protect the sheep from anything they see as a threat. Wolves, coyotes, bears, mountain lions, eagles... anything that may do the sheep harm. They're a heard bound animal, so they'll return to their flock as opposed to some hunting dogs that won't stop chasing an animal to return home. Ideally they shouldn't chase a non predatory animal, but then again your asking a lot from an animal that's not supposed to spend a ton of time around humans for constant training. I've had them confront me while I was on foot and horseback but I've always acted as though I'm the intruder and respected what they are their for. I've never had an issue with them though the animals I've ridden generally don't like them coming charging out of the brush. Pyrenees aren't herding dogs, they're guard dogs. Any sheep flock of sheep I've ever come across has some Pyrenees mixed in with it and the herder has a couple of collies or Australian Shepard's of some sort near them. The Pyrenees guard the sheep, the collies move them.

Part of hunting of using public ground is understanding and respecting other user groups of the land. If you don't respect the sheep because of the guard animal because of the guard animal in with them, eventually something bad will happen. Will you be able to sue somebody over it or justifiably kill the dog, probably. I view those dogs no more responsible for coming after someone in their flock than I do a sow that comes after a person for getting in between her and her cubs. Both are cases of an animal protecting it's own, and both require you to be in the wrong place. The only difference is people are use to seeing a Pyrenees as a big white fluffy pet. In the mountains, treat them as though they're their to hurt you and leave them alone. Pet ones that you see out with their owners when they tell you it's okay, but leave them the heck alone when they are doing what the breed was meant for.

13-Sep-16
Ziek, I understand your position but you would just go to prison for 2nd degree murder under Colorado law.

1. Did not enter your home uninvited. 2. Did not fire into your home or attempt to do bodily harm from outside your home. 3. Did not threaten you earlier. If someone has, it must be witnessed and/or reported to the county sheriff.

Killing a dog is not subject to the same laws as humans. As it should be. You don't have a dog that would attack a visitor coming to your door do you? That would also be illegal as dangerous animals must be restrained. Even if fenced in your yard. Rescue workers may need to get to you or someone in the house and enter your yard.

Believe me. I understand your feelings about it. Most will never ever have an incident of anything like this.

13-Sep-16
My point was supposed to be that humans have protected rights under law, dogs don't. That's why in a defensive shooting with people you have to demonstrate you were in imminent danger.

A man coming at you 5 ft away with a machete raised and issuing threats is usually justified, especially if you issue commands to cease.

Someone with zero experience with very large dogs bearing teath and acting aggressively is usually justified, even if they were doing their job and protecting the flock. The differentiating circumstance is the very nature of being away from quick help.

13-Sep-16
We need more safe spaces in the woods, Predator free zones need to be established!

13-Sep-16
cj. Actually that scenario would never apply to me. My house is on 50 acres at the end of 6 miles of private, dirt roads. No strangers just wander over uninvited. My dogs are NEVER outside unless supervised, not even in the yard. Too many critters around that could spell trouble, like rattlesnakes, (one dog bitten already on a walk near the house), cougars, bears, and skunks to name a few. My dogs barely bark when someone does come in the yard. They love everyone, whether they've previously met or not.

So I think I could justify gunfire at my front door as an immediate threat, since there could be no other explanation. It's also a log home, so firing at the house would be hard to ascertain unless it came through a window.

My biggest problem with the OP is that as presented, it sounds like he was already upset that a sheepherder was in HIS hunting area, and he was already predisposed to strike back. His partner made the right call.

13-Sep-16
All I know is that for 27 years or so I never felt the need to pack a side arm in the woods in the lower 48. My incident with that crappily cared for; nearly abused dog changed all that.

I was actually scouting when it occurred so I didn’t even have my bow.

But I’ve also seen 2 different people bitten terribly by dogs, so your rose-colored glasses may have a different tint.

Later that year while packing out my bull, I came head to head with a Mtn Lion headed down the same trail I was going up. That incident didn’t bother me at all. That dog wasn’t right in the head.

13-Sep-16
"Part of hunting of using public ground is understanding and respecting other user groups of the land".

That is a pretty funny statement when you consider most of these public land, free loading grazers think they own the place.

13-Sep-16
LBshooter, I also find it humorous that guys who wouldn't twice about shooting a person that was threatening them cry bloody murder at the thought of shooting an animal that was doing the same. There's a balance in both.

13-Sep-16
Dinkshooter@work

I don't go anywhere anymore without a concealed gun .... for instances just like this.

If I felt threatened, I'd kill the dog. Or bear, or cougar, or wild hog or whatever. My life is pretty important to me.

13-Sep-16

14-Sep-16
Dogs kill about 30 people per year (see dogsbite.org). Cougars have killed maybe 20 in the last 210 years. Bears are a little more aggressive about 40 in the last 100 years.

OK so who exactly is man's best friend?? Humans have legal rights, dogs do not. Humans have legal liability, dogs do not. So anyone want so give the dogs rights also need to consider the liability factor. Can the dog pay you back for damages? of course not the owner or handler does.

Leash and vaccination laws protect the general public AND the dog.

In a wilderness setting do you really want to wait to be injured before you take action?

Are sheep dogs identified by an owner's collar so they can be reported in an attack or harassment of game? Can the handler or worker identify for you who that is?? Contact info???

Harassment of hunters is illegal in all 50 sates. Thanks to organizations like the Sportsmans Alliance. How you harass hunters (personally, aircraft, drones or dogs..) really shouldn't matter.

Does a sheep herder carry liability insurance while using public lands in case their actions or the actions of their employees, dogs cause damage??

How about Workers compensation for the herder? Do they even have a legal status to work in US??

I have seen many small game, bear hunters track their dogs with radio collars, manual and electronic calls, etc. Sheep herder could obviously do the same thing. Sure it may cost money and create effort on their part to train the employees, and dogs but that is a cost of doing business. They also should be aware there is an open hunting season and hunters will be in the woods, grasslands they are using. If you don't want to spend time and money to do the job correctly (e.g. protect your liability and the general publics safety on a publicly owned land) then don't wine when you get sued out of existence because you injured or killed somebody.

The hunter has every right as a member of the public to get peeved, pissed off etc. when they see a business owner's, feral dog chase and harass wildlife. Wildlife that belongs to the public managed by the state and Federal govt. Check out Public Trust Doctrine if you are unfamiliar with that concept.

General public including hunters has an expectation they won't be harmed by the actions or inactions of a business owner utilizing public space. The public space they have paid for with lisc. fees, excise taxes, etc.

That said I can and will protect myself, friends and family if I feel threatened by a animal; wild or domestic. Humans can separate the threat whether perceived or real. Dogs cannot and how can anyone know for sure whether they are dealing with a free-roaming/feral dog or one under owner/handler control?? I would bet a life time of deer steaks most if not all courts and victims of animal attack would agree with me. I carry a weapon, warning whistle and spray when appropriate, not afraid to use all of them when warranted.

14-Sep-16
SOunds to me like a lot of you have WAY more trust in dogs, bears and people than I do.

I rarely go out in the woods or out of the house w/out a concealed weapon(where legally permitted).

I've had a few close calls when hiking, running and even mtn biking. Now my pistol goes with me in either pocket, holster on pack or in a bellyband when running or biking. If an animal gets aggressive or runs toward me, my hand goes on pistol. If the animal continues, the pistol comes out. Thank God I have not had to use it yet, but if needed I would.

Bottom line is if I feel my safety is threatened, all other considerations go out the window. I WILL NOT be bitten, mauled or killed.

And yes, I am a dog/cat owner.

14-Sep-16
some people are scared of snakes and kill them too. Me.....I give'em a pass.

I have had lots of encounters with the sheep. It's all bad. If I see the sheep and the herders I clear the hell out of there.

14-Sep-16
I keep away from sheep as well Straight Arrow. Ran into them all the time when I lived in Wyoming. The herder lives in those little hut trailers.

If they didn't contaminate the water so much I would be less critical. They purposely go into the streams to drink and piss as a habit.

14-Sep-16
"so my partner shouts at them to call them off the elk."

Why?

14-Sep-16
"That is a pretty funny statement when you consider most of these public land, free loading grazers think they own the place."

Pretty ignorant statement considering the "free loading grazers" have to pay for grazing permits on public lands. What extra federal or state permit did you pay a few thousand dollars for to use that ground?

"How about Workers compensation for the herder? Do they even have a legal status to work in US??

I have seen many small game, bear hunters track their dogs with radio collars, manual and electronic calls, etc. Sheep herder could obviously do the same thing. Sure it may cost money and create effort on their part to train the employees, and dogs but that is a cost of doing business. They also should be aware there is an open hunting season and hunters will be in the woods, grasslands they are using. If you don't want to spend time and money to do the job correctly (e.g. protect your liability and the general publics safety on a publicly owned land) then don't wine when you get sued out of existence because you injured or killed somebody."

It's all a matter of money, the more you increase the cost of doing business the more we will import wool products from other countries because they are more affordable. Fewer grazing permits will be out there generating revenue for forest districts. Fewer sheep operations will mean we have just that many fewer allies with sportsmen on the topic of population control of predators. It's all fine and good going around pointing the finger at others saying what they should do better and how they should spend their money but at some point you need to look at the net gain or loss. Where I hunt elk, sheep are in the main drainage June through September. During that time they experience predation, and after a couple sheep go down a state paid trapper goes in and deals with the predator problem. Last year I believe the total was 6 wolves and 2 bears that were removed do to predation on sheep. For me, I'd rather have a couple of Pyrenees running deer and elk away from the flock (occasionally killing some) than have 6 wolves preying on elk year round and the damage the black bears do to the elk calves in the spring.

I'm not saying a person shouldn't defend themselves from being attacked by a dog. I'm saying with the use of some common sense and understanding what you can expect when you see sheep in the mountains, the situation can be avoided 99% of the time. You have the rite to walk through the middle of the flock on public ground just like you have the rite to use a crosswalk when it gives you the signal to walk across it. But a person is an idiot if they step out on that crosswalk when they see a car coming that's not slowing down. The person can sue the driver and rail on them about their negligence because the pedestrian had the rite of way, but it's not going to add any cushion between the pedestrian and bumper when they meet. Understand what you can expect and do your best to avoid the situation. I open carry in the mountains incase I ever end up between a sow and her cubs. I'd feel terrible for having to shoot the sow but I'm not going to let her chew on me. I also make it a point that when I see bear cubs I get out of there so I don't have to deal with a pissed off sow.

Being aware of what's going on and what's happening around you is the biggest part of avoiding getting hurt in the mountains. Be aware that when you come across sheep there's a threat to your well being if you choose to get closer to them or walk through them. If you like shooting dogs, being chewed on, or love lawyers, take the time to go around the sheep or understand your sense of entitlement to walk through them can really screw up your hunt.

14-Sep-16
"Pretty ignorant statement considering the "free loading grazers" have to pay for grazing permits on public lands. What extra federal or state permit did you pay a few thousand dollars for to use that ground"?

That is a pretty ignorant statement when you consider how much money the government agencies lose to the grazing programs on both BLM and Forest Service.

Do a little research and see how much money they pay while defiling your elk meadows.

14-Sep-16

Dinkshooter@work's embedded Photo
Dinkshooter@work's embedded Photo
Here is another different one of those well cared for, loved dogs everyone is talking about. Nearly starved to death, just dumped out with the sheep, eating the sauce out of our mtn house containers..........

Not a herder in sight.

Just like the family lab!

14-Sep-16
I would not have shot but I would not blame someone who did.

14-Sep-16
No one here is arguing that you shouldn't protect yourself from an actual threat. It's the cavalier attitude some have that they would prefer to shoot first, as soon as they become uncomfortable with the situation. A situation that they may have contributed to by their sense of entitlement (encroaching on the sheep instead of avoiding them for instance). Or their inability to "read" the dog's intentions. You wouldn't shoot a person who was simply yelling at you, no matter what he said. You would restrain yourself until he actually produced a weapon or physically attacked you. A barking or growling dog is equivalent to that yelling. If it were going to attack, more than likely it wouldn't give you any warning. The dogs I've seen attack did so without ANY warning. In any case, man, dog, or wild animal, before you would be justified in using lethal force, it may be too late to escape completely unscathed.

Dinkshooters's press release about the old lady afraid of the sheep dogs reminds me of the 1 or two old ladies seemingly every year that get stomped by moose, mostly due to their own ignorance. I don't hear you guys calling for the eradication of all moose, or shooting them if you encounter one that lays it's ears back - a real threat.

14-Sep-16

Destroyer350's embedded Photo
Destroyer350's embedded Photo
I used to be terrified of the sheep dogs after I heard a few horror stories - now I dont think most of them are true.

I was up hunting for a week by myself a few years ago. One afternoon it rained like crazy so I decided to catch up on some sleep. All of a sudden I heard something eating my trash. I looked out and it was a sheep dog. He came up to my tent wagging his tail. He ended up hanging out in my camp with me. That night I cooked backstraps and gave him half. He layed there by the fire until I got up in the morning. It was nice to have some company after not having any sort of interaction for a few days.

It kinda reminded me of the movie Sandlot where the boys were scared "THE BEAST" only to find out it was a friendly dog.

14-Sep-16
"Do a little research and see how much money they pay while defiling your elk meadows." I pay none to defile them by putting gut piles in them. I volunteer with a group that helps clean trails in my neck of the woods and get an annual forest service pass for free every year in return. So I don't even pay to use FS trailheads. You also can't blame the guy who pays permits and fees for the government agency mismanaging the money. Your situation might be different but my pleasure takes a back seat to somebody who paid the fees to be there trying to make a living.

14-Sep-16
"It's the cavalier attitude some have that they would prefer to shoot first, as soon as they become uncomfortable with the situation"

the situation is a dog that's doing something to CREATE a situation

dog is doing what it does, without the owner being around to manage the dog and be accountable it might as well be a wild dog IMO

if a person feel's threatened, shoot it dead and go on

its a dog, I wish people cared more about abortions and a million dead babies every year as they do about an animal that is food in many countries

I love my Aussie - if she gets on your land or public land and threatens you, shoot her dead. My fault for not keeping better watch and training her better.

14-Sep-16
D350 - "It was nice to have some company after not having any sort of interaction for a few days."

I thought this was turning into a strange penthouse forum story. "I never thought it would happen to me..."

14-Sep-16
"My fault for not keeping better watch and training her better."

That's exactly right. So why should the dog pay for your transgression? If your dog bites me, I'd rather see YOU pay than the dog.

I've known many dogs that I think a lot more highly of than some people. I could comment more on 'your wish', but it would be inappropriate for this subject.

14-Sep-16
20 or 25 years ago when i a young teenager (long before i got into hunting) a kid i went to school with was out hunting with his dad in NY on public land.

when returning to their truck 2 rottweilers started closing in on them, one from each side.

the boy was 12 or 13 or 14. The dad was legitimately concerned that they were in danger. as the dogs began closing in, the dad put an arrow into the chest of the closer dog. the 2nd dog ran off.

he did the right thing and called the warden. the warden responded, and contacted the dog owner, who said he was out hunting with his dogs (raccoon if memory serves - never heard of rotts for coons, but that is neither here nor there) and wondered why one of them didn't come back.

no charges were pressed.

however, the dog owner sued in civil court and won $150,000. thats about 275k in today's dollars.

hefty price to pay for shooting a dog, but a cheap price to pay from keeping your boy from getting shredded.

not sure what the lesson is, but i sure like the bear spray option.

14-Sep-16

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
This could have been a violent situation yesterday here in Utah but I chose to drive around him...after it was clear he was not going to move.

14-Sep-16
As the victim of an extreme dog bite on a hunt sorry dog would have died if it were me in the situation. I was a kid at the time, as an adult I have shot aggressive dogs while hunting with the game warden next to me thinning the pack with his AR. If any person or animal of any kind TRUELY makes me fear for my life or safety it will die it's pretty simple. I wasn't in the woods with these dogs and the gentalman left unharmed so it seems that these dogs were not a TRUE threat.

14-Sep-16
"If your dog bites me, I'd rather see YOU pay than the dog."

What happens when the dog bites you on the inner thigh and you're 5 miles back in?

If the dog bites you, you provoked it in some fashion or another and it's your fault, not the dogs. Good luck getting the owner to pay...

15-Sep-16
Ziek - its a dog, an animal, no soul,

"I've known many dogs that I think a lot more highly of than some people."

placing an animals life higher than a human's ... that's what animal rights activists do, you know that right? why is their placements so very different than what you are doing? no difference - animal life is greater than a human's is a tragedy. Even the worst of people have souls, and to their very death a chance at salvation.

to each their own I guess, my life and every human life is valuable beyond an animals is the way I see it

15-Sep-16
stealthycat. The problem is, that is a religious belief, which you are entitled to. One that is not binding on me. And if you're so concerned about people, what about the real trauma inflicted on the family of a dog that you just killed simply because it scared you and YOU have no tolerance for that.

There are laws that properly differentiate between animals and people. But that doesn't absolve you of exercising due care when using lethal force. You are also not entitled to complete protection from fear or even safety. There has to be a REAL threat, not just your particular level of tolerance to a possible threat. A barking dog is NOT a real threat in the way an attacking dog is. If you can't accept that, maybe you should stay in your house where you can feel safer.

For example: if I'm walking down a dimly lit street and a guy in a hoody walking the other way says "excuse me" and I stop to see what he wants, and he proceeds to rob me at gunpoint; doesn't give me license the next time I walk down that street, and a guy in a hoody says "excuse me", to shoot him preemptively because of what MAY happen next.

I never said you can't protect or defend yourself. What I question is your ability to make that decision appropriately. And one thing that everyone should consider when contemplating lethal force, is there are NO free rides when you do. Be prepared to defend yourself in criminal and/or civil court. Your right to self defense comes with a high level of responsibility. One that I don't ascertain in your disdain for all but human life.

15-Sep-16
That's why in CCW courses they instruct you to shoot to kill, not wound. Easier to prove you were in imminent danger.

Unfortunately, most of us don't speak dog and don't know if they are saying "back off" or "make one wrong move and you're dead". That's why, unless you have a bona fide dumb head in black robes hearing a case, it's pretty cut and dry about defending yourself that you were justified in using leathal force on an agressive encounter with an animal.

I hardly believe anyone is qualified to give instruction on how you should interpret a dangerous situation or not.

I know the encounter I had was warrented as the dog (a German Shepard) was aggressively advancing as we backed away. In fact, that dog was not even phased enough to run off when my dad kicked it in the throat because it was that close. Fortunately, we were in city limits and were able to call animal control once inside his office building. We had our backs to the wall all the way to the door. The outcome could have been much, much worse...

15-Sep-16
I thought this was turning into a strange penthouse forum story. "I never thought it would happen to me..."

LOL Amoebus too funny!

15-Sep-16
Ziek sure the religious view differs

what doesn't differ is Animal Rights Activists saying animals have the same rights as humans

your view echoes what they say in many ways

if that scenario happened to me, and I drew my gun and killed the dogs, I'd triple S and never think much more about it to be honest

I killed my Corgi a few years ago, she was hurt by a car and my first shot I missed her ... she knew I was going to kill her at that point. Hurt my feelings, it was sad, I loved that dog ..... but she was a dog. Just a dog.

15-Sep-16
PA law...

These statutes represent Pennsylvania's Dog Law, and contain provisions related to licensing, rabies quarantines, kennels, and the dangerous dog chapter. The significant features of the law include a statewide control requirement for dogs (Section 305) and provisions for "dangerous dogs" (Section 501 et. seq.). Under the latter, any person may kill any dog which he sees in the act of pursuing or wounding or killing any domestic animal, including household pets, or pursuing, wounding or attacking human beings, whether or not such a dog bears a required license tag. There is no liability on such persons in damages or otherwise for such killing.

Federal law.c) Pets or feral animals that are running-at-large and observed by an authorized person in the act of killing, injuring or molesting humans, livestock, or wildlife may be destroyed if necessary for public safety or protection of wildlife, livestock, or other park resources.

lots of states have dog laws against harassing big game or people.

15-Sep-16
I like dogs, I've raised them all my life. But I have no time for mean dogs, or people that leave mean dogs run loose.

15-Sep-16
Original thread owner has not posted in awhile!??

15-Sep-16
Forest - not much to add.

It is interesting to read the differing thought processes of the "Monday morning quarterbacking" tho.

I don't carry mace - although I used to carry at work and had a German Shepherd come after me, I sprayed it in the face at about 5 feet away .... it definitely works! As I stated above - in that situation, at that time, I would have shot the dog.

NOW, after reading some of the posts ... if this same scenario were to happen to me ... my hand gun is out as I speak in a calming voice, up until either he leaves, I fire 1 (only 1) warning shot. After that, the next move is up to him whether he lives or dies and NO, I absolutely am not going to let him come up to sniff my hand. One more step in my direction in this threatening manner and it's lights out.

16-Sep-16
Inshart, don't blame you one bit, or any of the others that refuse to let a dog chew on them before they dispatch the damn thing...............

16-Sep-16
I'm never going to kill a dog that isn't threatening me but if it's over booting size and acts like it wants eat me, no hesitation to end it's life.

16-Sep-16
I've attended three CCW classes, and they never taught us to "shoot to kill." We were taught do what's reasonable to stop the threat to yourself or to others. Although that CAN lead to the perp's death, there's a big difference (especially to a DA or jury).

16-Sep-16
BTM, the "shoot to kill" is the last, and only last option. The first thing, of course, is to give verbal command to cease in the aggressive approach and action and/or flee if possible. If you have to use deadly force, you shoot in the center of mass of the chest, not the leg or ground.

Both courses I took were taught by law enforcement. Both said the same thing. The one thing in CCW courses is to also teach you the (legal) ramifications of using deadly force in a defensive shooting. The reason, humans have the ability to reason, animals don't. Humans are guaranteed under the Constitution that no one shall be deprived of life, liberty, or property without due process. Essentially, that's what you have to prove in court, that you had the right to take life without due process.

Hence the basis for this entire thread. Animals cannot reason and they do not have rights granted under the Constitution, they are programmed one way, regardless of how much training they have...

16-Sep-16
Are some of you saying that paying grazing fees entitles the dog owners to let them loose and the dogs can threaten hunters? That hunters need to not intrude near the sheep?

and that hunters don't pay thousands in fees to hunt those same lands?

Wow good to know. And here I thought I had a right to hunt without huge dogs growling and baring their teeth at me, forcing me to guess if I am in danger.

I get it now. Grazing fees allow shepherds to have their dogs run elk and menace hunters. They paid for the right.

19-Sep-16
"Wow good to know. And here I thought I had a right to hunt without huge dogs growling and baring their teeth at me, forcing me to guess if I am in danger.

I get it now. Grazing fees allow shepherds to have their dogs run elk and menace hunters. They paid for the right".

HA this!

19-Sep-16
"animals have no soul". Read Proverbs 12:10 if you are going to get biblical. I take care of humans in the ER daily that sold their soul to drugs or worse. My dogs have a spirit and emotions and more common sense than a lot of humans. I've had labs that would not hesitate to tear into someone that threatened me or my wife. If I charged a dog to take care of my sheep and some asshole shot him, you bet I'd be hunting that guy in short order. Keep in mind you are the foreigner, the non-resident, the alien in those situations. The shepherd and his dogs were there long before you. You have no right to shoot a dog because it is chasing elk that are not yours, on land you do not own. It simply alarms me how many people on here are scared. My wife's family had 3 of those dogs until this summer, 2 of them expired from the heat. All 3 are and were scared of gun shots. Maybe some folks should stay home a watch golf instead of hunting.

19-Sep-16
Do what you gotta do and don't worry about the internet knuckleheads. Oh, and keep your mouth shut about it. Most people get in trouble because they run their mouth too much. I am not going to take a chance of getting bit if I don't have to......ever!!

19-Sep-16
"Oh, and keep your mouth shut about it."

The first rule of anyone who KNOWS he did something wrong.

19-Sep-16
Not necessarily Ziek. This could be argued both ways for thousands of post. Waste if time......

19-Sep-16
The arguememt is not whether you shoot a dog just to shoot a dog. It is whether you do so IF you feel threatened.

What's the difference in not shooting a dog "guarding" sheep and a feral dog trying to eat you alive?

You'd better speak softly and calm to the feral one as well otherwise it's a double standard.

20-Sep-16
Most of these dogs you guys are seeing are Akbash, not Great Pyrenees.

20-Sep-16

My dogs have a spirit and emotions and more common sense than a lot of humans.

Animals can NOT reason, and therefore can NOT have common sense- that's what makes them animals.(and us HUMANS ;-)

20-Sep-16
"Animals can NOT reason..."

Neither can a human baby, sometimes, from my observations, not even 'til past their teenage years, if ever.

20-Sep-16
"Neither can a human baby..."

Off topic, but necessary: so that's why some think abortion is ok...

• Sitka Gear