Contributors to this thread:
Shawns 12-Sep-16
Brotsky 12-Sep-16
LINK 12-Sep-16
Shawns 12-Sep-16
LINK 12-Sep-16
HDE 12-Sep-16
12-Sep-16
After a weeks discussion myself and a couple friends have decided we want to take a trip next fall to elk hunt. I know this is bowsite and should be bow hunting but they are both gun only hunters. We know there is no way we could all 3 get in a draw hunt, any suggestions or advice on which state would be the best for one of the OTC hunts?Location doesn't matter at this point, we have discussed Colorado, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, etc, Just wherever we can all get a tag. Doesn't have to be a Prime tag or anything We just want to have the experience of it. Thanks in advance for any help!

12-Sep-16
Apply in NM as there are no points, then when you fail to draw like me you can go to CO.

12-Sep-16
I'm sure there are better options but you could do like Brotsky says and apply on a joint application for a New Mexico gun hunt early October. You could take your bow. I'm not sure where else you could hunt gun and bow at the same time, maybe Wyoming? I would just convince your buddies that elk hunting is much better in September and that they will be best to pick up bows and calls. If they won't go during bow season I might would have to find new hunting partners, it's cold in the winter months in the Rockies.lol

12-Sep-16
Thanks for the tips, how does the party draw thing in new mexico work? doe we apply as a party and if drawn all get tags? or just a tag for one person?

12-Sep-16
NM one person applies, others attach. One chance at drawing not three. Your app is drawn all get tags.

12-Sep-16
Skip the draw altogether and go OTC in CO. That way you can plan now.

If you're willing to go outfitter, skip the draw and choose who and where and start making plans.

• Sitka Gear