Scar Finga 19-Sep-16
Allheart 19-Sep-16
Thornton 19-Sep-16
Flippinsticks 20-Sep-16
ki-ke 20-Sep-16
Thornton 20-Sep-16
BTM 21-Sep-16
14-Sep-16
The other thread got me thinking... Has anyone had a real violent encounter in the elk woods?

(For the record, I see the original story as a threat or possible violent encounter. I didn't see a real encounter.)

Has anyone been attacked by sheepdogs, got in a fistfight with another hunter, or other real encounter?

14-Sep-16
Yes. I encountered a bull elk and only one of us walked away...blood everywhere.

Seriously though, no. Had a couple suspicious late night camp visitors here and there but nothing serious.

14-Sep-16
Only after I eat mountain house meals.

14-Sep-16
Hahah am I the only one here who likes Mountain house??

14-Sep-16
Messed with those purple mushrooms and then ate a sandwich without washing my hands... all night squatting in the rain was a violent encounter.

14-Sep-16
You crack me up Glunt!

14-Sep-16
I had a badger come after me once. I startled him and it didn't take him long to come after me.

Naturally I ran and then stopped to let him think it over. He was determined so I drew my sidearm and shot him twice. I kept the claws but a friend of mine snagged them from me a few years later.

14-Sep-16
I had a very tense situation and it was all my fault! Very early in my elk hunting carrier I jumped and shot my first bull elk. Although fatally hit the bull ran about 100 yards down hill were another hunter shot the bull dropping it in its tracks. Me being young and full of myself I walked down to the elk and started being belligerent. Thank God the other hunter was a better person that I was. He simply said if I could show him that I had shot the elk first, the elk was mine. He then proceeded in helped me gut and quarter the elk. It was a very humbling event and has become more so as I have matured as hunter. I know now as he did at the time, the elk was his. I hunted that same area for another 17 years and never ran across the gentleman again. I really wish I would have, I really would have liked to apologies and thank him!

14-Sep-16
I started gutting a bull he was bloated, I forgot my gutting knife and had to use the havalon. Well all was going well got 18" in and then one little slip on a steep hillside and I was covered in pressurized bile head to toe.

It was a violent stream hitting my foot with enough force to cover my face as i stood up. It lasted for a solid 10 seconds and did not taste too good.

14-Sep-16
Shed, I'm speechless!

14-Sep-16
I just puked in my mouth a little

14-Sep-16
Yeah I will pass on that one Shed.

14-Sep-16
There once was a video showing someone getting that treatment. Was that you Shed?

14-Sep-16
I was charged by a skunk this year walking along a meadow at dark. I had the 44 out and was going to shoot the damn thing. It turned at the last minute. Then once we got on the trail we heard somehting fall out of a tree? and then smelt skunk spray real strong. Then on the way back to camp in the truck I hit a skunk with the truck!!! Did I tell you I hate skunks!??? lol

14-Sep-16
Not elk but deer hunting I had a guy walk up to me while I was gutting a deer, put his shotgun to my head and said "I ought to blow your ****in' head off."

14-Sep-16
Wow shed,... Lol I've seen that same thing but to a buddy .gut bomb and wow brought back a memory !!! Rank!!!!

14-Sep-16
Shot at a cooler thief before, but I myself have never been in a position where I was being attacked by anything more than wasps.

14-Sep-16
KJC do tell. Sounds SCARY! How did you resolve the situation? What was the reason behind the guy threatening you with the gun?

14-Sep-16
I shot a 31 inch buck in Utah (warning...muzzle hunt) during the muzzleloader season. I had three guys walk up as I was cleaning the deer and ask what I thought my chances were of leaving with the deer? They had said they hadn't seen anything bigger than a two point . They got to me about 1 hour after the shot and it was clear to me at least one of them thought he could simply take my buck.

I simply pulled my Glock and put it on my deer. I told them I was a deputy and I felt my chances were pretty good. They turned and walked away...not violent but It could have turned that way very quickly.

I also had a mountain lion put a serious stalk in me while calling. I noticed the cat and raised my arms yelling. The cat hunkered down and took quick steps towards me when I started to look around. I ran at the mountain lion yelling like a mad man. At about 10 feet it decided the crazy yelling gringo was not worth the fight and turned tail. Again, not violent per see but had a real possibility of turning violent.

The mountain lion encounter happened before he deer. That's why I always carry now while bow hunting.

14-Sep-16
Got into a pretty heated altercation with some non-residents a couple of years ago. Definitely takes the fun out of it.

14-Sep-16

ahunter55's embedded Photo
ahunter55's embedded Photo
I had a Bear, in the dark walking out within 10-15 feet pop his jaws at me & I "slowly" backed up & made a big circle to the dirt road. My State trooper hunting buddy dropped me off on the dirt road & drove another couple blocks to park the truck. A guy pulls up & calls me a blood thirsty bast-rd & I reply, someday, they will find you in the woods holding your head. He sped away. When my cop buddy got there I told him & he said yea, We know the guy . He had a couple traffic violations after that but didn't threaten any other hunters. My brother & I did a management bowhunt with protestors lined up where we walked in. We were instructed by the police & wardens NOT to respond in any way. 2 days & then they all left. They were from Chicago over 120 miles away & LOCALS had no problems with the hunt. I lived in the mountains nearly 6 months, mostly alone, in a tent when I was around 40 & told those who knew me, if you come to my camp, don't be quite & hopefully, you know my name because the 357 I have is for people, I don't worry about the animals.

14-Sep-16
Not elk hunting. Deer hunting. Had two men steal a little buck I had killed as I was dragging it out the foot trail on the way to camp. At gun point. I was 12. I'm guessing they were in their late 20's to early 30's. My dad came along a few minutes later on his way back to camp. I told him what happened. He said, "Let's go boy.".

Needless to say, there was a confrontation when we caught up to them. Everyone lived. I'll leave it at that as, it bothers me thinking about how easily that outcome could have changed.

I've literally had to defend myself from feral and undisciplined "pet" dogs. Numerous times.

Once while firearm deer hunting. 5 Feral dogs.

Once, I Broke the brass end of a Biltmore stick off on a big mutt's head that decided I must have looked like lunch. He was one tough hombre. Run off but, never yelped. Just switched directions and hauled butt. I got real lucky on that one. I'm certain a glancing blow wouldn't have stopped him. He was coming hard and fast.

Two more times while turkey hunting. Both times were dogs in a pack. Both times they acted as if they intended on eating me. It's a concerted, orchestrated attack every time with a hunting pack of dogs. When a pack of dogs get after you, There is always one or two that come straight at you hard and fast. The rest break off and flank you. They learn real fast how to hunt.

I do not venture into the woods to cruise timber, hunt, scout, or just to walk around without a firearm. Matter of fact, I don't venture much of anywhere without one because people are an even bigger threat. God Bless

14-Sep-16
Came upon a gutted deer hung in the woods in December archery season. Took a close look at it appeared it was shot by small caliber straight down. After arguing with one of the two guys I was with I insisted we put it back in the tree and call the local warden.

About that time a few snowmobiles and a car come racing up the fire break. Interesting, so we pull back into the woods to see what they were doing. They walk right up to the deer and start quartering it.

My bold but stupid hunting partner then shows himself out of the woods and trees we were hiding behind yelling to them about "somebody taking a poached deer??" Then he pulls out the camera and starts taking pictures. One of them heads for the car and takes a rifle out of the back, OH crap!!! Grab my hunting buddy drag him back into the woods. You trying to get us all killed over a deer??

Drive back into the nearest town and called the warden. Brought him back out to the spot, (just legs left behind) and gave him the film from the camera. Were not good enough quality to ID anyone.

14-Sep-16
in 2010 came point blank to a black bear running out of a swamp right at me.

I was getting set-up for an evening hunt on a nice trail leading into a swamp bedding area.

Just before I was going into the tree I hear crashing and splashing coming my way. Thinking it was deer a few hours early the younger bear ran right up to me til I yelled and started my draw.

He looked puzzled but then climbed the nearest tree, growling and chomping his jaws. We watched each other for a few minutes he kept growling and slid down the tree a few times preparing for a false charge.

I kept yelling, stomping my feet til he went back up the tree. Once high enough I got a number of good pics. Hunted someplace else that night.

14-Sep-16
Now the DOG story.

I was hunting in a metro area with special permit in a county park. I was successful and shot a doe. Since the place had a lot of trails for multiple users we had to close the park during the hunt to walkers, joggers, bikers, etc.

Well here I am bent over a deer field dressing it and up comes Rover growling and snapping at a fast clip.

I spin around with my shortened Kabar military knife ready to take a stand. When about a few feet from me I yell and prepare for the attack, then a dog owner yells loudly for the dog. The dog is still in my face snarling when the guy runs closer to take the dog. I explain to him quite boldly that the park is closed that is why all the trails, parking lots and border were posted to that effect. He wanted get a little snarky with me until he realized I was in no mood to be PC about his dog and coming into the park, against city ordinance...

14-Sep-16
I killed myself a 'bar' when I was only three. :)

14-Sep-16
Was hiking with my pup with a leash on a local trail when she was about 6 months old. A chow wearing a "service dog" harness came running out of the bushes at the trail head. I pulled my dog in between my legs and pulled a knife out. The chow kept growling and kept circling in closer to me. I heard some people yelling to the dog, but they never came running over looking for it. So i yelled "Come get your f***ing dog before I have to kill it" they still never came for it.. I growled at the dog and it turned and ran back into the bushes. When I got back to the parking lot the only car there was a car with "Search and rescue dogs" decals all over it. I wouldn't want that dog searching for or rescuing me ahaha.

Last thursday I was creeping up on a bedded bull, and I stopped to wait for him to bugle one more time for a good pinpoint. Then I saw a cub climb up a tree about 40 yards away. I started backing up to avoid contact with the sow. She charged me, but stopped after I hooked around a bush and nocked an arrow. Went back yesterday same spot. Calling in a fired up bull. Then I saw what I thought was a cow come running out at 50 yards... It was that bear (cinnamon body, black head). Then the cubs came out. They spooked the elk, and I snapped a stick to make her take the cubs back into the timber. Unfortunately it was a herd bull, and he was not small. Would have put an arrow into her if she didn't have the cubs.

luckily nothing really physical, or too life threatening.

14-Sep-16
Had a guy shoot at me, and a hunting partner for hunting "his" turkeys.

15-Sep-16
Had a close call while turkey hunting(with bow) several years back. Had a young black bear come in slowly feeding towards me while I was sitting on the ground next to a tree. I assumed when he saw me, he would run. I was wrong! He came even closer. At one point it was JUST out of arms reach popping it jaws, growling and raking a sapling with it's paw/claws. Thank GOD I was able to back out of there(while keeping it in my pistol sights the entire time).

Another time I was running with my dog down the road from our house. The neighbor's dog ran out into the road and went after my dog. I ran with the leash attached to my belt at all times so my dog was not off-leash as is the law in our neighborhood. THe other dog was running free and came out into the road and I had to step between the 2 dogs to separate them. Still don't know how I came out of that w/out getting bitten. That's when I started running with my pistol in a belly band.

15-Sep-16
Amazing stories guys... But the bile shower takes the cake. B-R-U-T-A-L!

15-Sep-16
I just got back from an area I had waited 12 years to hunt. Finally got drawn. Hiked in 5 miles on Thursday before season opened with my tent, 170oz. of water, and a pack frame carrying my climbing stand, climbing harness & via ferrata, and spotting scope and tripod. Hiked out that evening with spotting scope as I planned to spot from different location Friday morning. Hiked back in Friday afternoon with all other camping gear, bow, spotting scope, another 170oz of water, food, for 3 days, etc.

Got to camp to find my empty tent shredded by Yogi bear, water bladders also shredded. Hiked a mile on up the trail to where I left my pack frame and climbing stand only to find my seat on my stand torn up (I really didn't think my ass smelled that good). Hiked up the trail another half mile to where I'd planned to hang the stand, took stand off pack frame and left frame and day pack and walked 75 yards up the hill to hang stand and did so. Returned to where I'd dropped the packs in no less than 15 minutes and they were gone. Found pack frame about 15 yards down the hill. After more searching found day pack about 75 yards down hill with hole eaten in it.

Returned to camp(torn up tent) taking it all in and looked up to see Yogi walking to me at 5 feet. Managed to spook him away. Saw him one other time and when he saw me he started walking directly toward me. Again managed to scare him off.

Turns out the state is dumping all the trash bears around that part of the state here. They gave those that had drawn tags absolutely no warning. I personally think this is a criminal offense not to warn hunters that have blown 12 to 20 preference points of this fact. I lost several hundred dollars of equipment and had to walk about 14 miles a day due to their neglect.

15-Sep-16
I had a black bear sow with cubs get very angry with me as she was eating my camp up .... teeth popping, circling close ... (cubs went up a tree)

I had a handgun, elected not to shoot her .... outfitter later told me I'd have saved his camps a lot of money killing that rogue sow, she ate up everything in the area and taught her cubs to as well.

15-Sep-16
painless, you should change your handle to painful :)

16-Sep-16
Years ago I was chased up trees twice by a pack of 4 dogs. Not sure if they were trully wild, feral, or just farm dogs but they showed me every tooth in their mouth and I believed they would have attached me if given the chance. They tried again a third time but that time I was packing my S&W M27 357 Mag. One dog got away but the other three took dirt naps.

16-Sep-16
Not an elk hunt but an antelope hunt with my neighbour when I was a kid, I was attacked by a lab split my nose in half my upper lip in thirds, ripped my lower lip off and from midway down my throat to my jawbone his canine teeth split me on both sides deep.

18-Sep-16
Wow shed,... Lol I've seen that same thing but to a buddy .gut bomb and wow brought back a memory !!! Rank!!!!

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16
I took a cop friend and his wife bowhunting years ago. We sneaked through the dark woods back into an alfalfa field I had permission on. As we entered the field, I noticed a black silhouette of a hunter in my stand. We left the field as quiet as possible and went back to the vehicle to figure out a plan B. I looked at the guy's vehicle tag and realized he was from a different county and most likely did not have permission. There was a pair of rattling antlers in the bed of the truck from a buck I recognized as being shot the year before by trespassers. The longer I thought about it, the madder I got. We waited by his truck for a long time. After a while, we saw them walking across the field toward us at which time they shot 6 times over our head with a pistol. We held our ground ( my cop friend had a .45 in his pocket). As they approached, they got pretty hostile accusing me of stealing from his truck. I informed the guy that if I wanted anything in his POS truck, I would have taken it and been gone long before he knew. I also told him that we had seen him in my stand and left him to hunt. I pointed out it was illegal for him to possess a firearm while bowhunting. I continued to question them and it was very apparent they had no idea who owned the land. I told both of them they were never to return, and if they did, I would call the warden- something I would have done already but we had no cell service. The one guy was so mad he wanted to fight me, but I held my ground and his friend talked him down. They left ahead of us, and held the gate while we drove through. They left, and to my knowledge, never came back.

19-Sep-16
I was on a rifle hunt in Northern California and was in the bottom of a valley with very steep sides. I looked up and saw a glimmer of sunlight off of something... I pulled up my binos and a DumbA$$ had his rifle pointed at me. He was watching me through his scope... I started waiving my hands frantically and he just waved back. I pulled my rifle up and pointed it right at him! at this point I believe he realized what a stupid thing he was doing and dropped his rifle down and started waving his hands frantically. Scared the crap out of me!

Thornton,

If your buddy was a cop, and someone fired 6 shots over your head, that is at least assault with a deadly weapon and could be attempted murder since they where already in the commission of committing a crime. possessing a firearm during archery season would be a very minor offense compared to the other charges... How come your buddy didn't call it in or arrest them?

19-Sep-16
Hunting moose one year I had quite the encounter.

In the afternoon I walked into one of our moose stands overlooking a marsh and some guy set up his blind right beside our stand. I check the blind and no one is in there. OK I climb the stand and I am going to hunt the afternoon. We have been hunting this marsh for over 20 years and the stand has been there for more than 15. What it comes down to though is that he was not there and I was.

An hour later he comes rolling up with his ATV driving right down the marsh. He gets off the bike and tells me I have to leave because this is his spot. I told him it's public land and we have a tree stand here and I was here first. He keeps getting angrier and telling me I have to leave and now he has no where to go. Lots of bush all over just go drive your bike somewhere else.

Anyways he says he is not leaving, I said fine neither am I. I 'm in an elevated stand and I will see the moose before you and shoot it before you. His reply "if a mosse walks out and you shoot it then I just might shoot you". WOW I was a little shocked to say the least. I felt his bluff so i wasn't too scared. I just asked him if he was threatening me and that threatening someone when you are in possession of a gun is a very serious offence. He backed down got on his bike and drove off.

Later I told my Dad the story so my Dad went and found the guys hunting partner and told him we were thinking of calling the cops. His hunting partner apologized profusely and said that is not like his buddy.

Anyways a few days later the guy rolled into our camp and apologized to me.

I kinda wish I called the cops on the guy. He was in his 50's and I was in my mid 20's. He should have known better to act like that. It was nice to get an apology though.

19-Sep-16
As I said earlier, we had no cell service, no handcuffs, and they had a single action .22 revolver which was out of bullets. We were 20 miles from any town in the rural Flint Hills of KS. They were simply trying to scare us off. I would not call this a "real violent encounter" but it was worth noting. You would be very surprised at what happens in these areas and nobody goes to jail.

20-Sep-16
Here's a good one. I grew up with this lucky dude. Some of you may know it, amazing story to say the least. http://freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/760289/posts

20-Sep-16
On my first DIY trip to Alaska, I experienced what I believe to be a seriously violent encounter. With the weight restrictions of bush flying, all our gear was incredibly tight, including food. We planned meals for 12 days and had another 3 days in reserve to allow for weather delays.

On about day 3 or 4, I dug into my food cache for my daily ration of crackers, you know...the package with 6 orange cheese cracker "sandwiches"? SO good. Anyway, I pulled out an empty cracker wrapper. It was as if it was surgically sliced open, with not a crumb left. Then I pulled out another empty package, then another. I felt my ears get hot. I pulled out my 4" barrel, SS .44 and let it flash in the sun as I asked my partners..."who stole my effin crackers"? I figured they thought it might be a great prank to take my crackers to see how I'd react. They weren't ready for my reaction. Jim was like, "WTF are you talking about"? I showed him the packages. He laughed. That's when I cocked the gun. Before I did something that would require a lot of digging in permafrost, he went and checked HIS crackers. Also pilfered. We both turned to Anthony. Before we could murder him, he checked his crackers. Also gone. When you're rationing the peanuts in your trail mix, missing crackers are serious business.

We forgoed (?) the afternoon of moose hunting and set up a perimeter. Sure as hell, the thief appeared just before sundown. A little, stinking, some kind of tundra mouse! How could that little bassturd eat so many crackers??!! In about 20 minutes we figured it out. BECAUSE THERE WERE DOZENS OF THEM!! Yappy sheep dogs had nothing on these satanic vermin!

By firelight and headlamp we set them up. Bits of crumbs from whatever we could sacrifice were placed as bait. As the vermin appeared, we assassinated them with .44, 240 gr. jacketed hollow points loaded for grizzly charges. Others got the 12 gauge with 6 shot. We went through almost all our ammo. We killed them all. When the sun rose the next morning, little rat bodies littered the ground. Other parts decorated the Alders like a morbid Christmas tree.

The next day, we were missing more food. There were actually hundreds of them.

The next day, we moved camp.

20-Sep-16
Those were expensive mice Kike

21-Sep-16
ki-ke: You're guilty of multiple game law violations:

1. Baiting 2. Shooting over the limit 3. Jacklighting 4. Failure to tag 5. Wanton waste of meat

Turn yourself in, bro!

:)

• Sitka Gear