ORarcheryboy 16-Sep-16
txhunter58 16-Sep-16
Hayguide 16-Sep-16
South Farm 16-Sep-16
drycreek 16-Sep-16
Gutpile Addict 21-Sep-16
APauls 21-Sep-16
16-Sep-16
I have been Elk hunting for years encountered snow quite often but not like October 2013. My buddy and I who is stubborn and as hardcore as myself headed into a Colorado wilderness on 2 horses and 2 mules with our gear. Forecast called for 6 inches we went in anyways it started snowing soon as our butts hit the saddle wind and snow . My gloves got wet fingers started burning rain gear frozen stiff. Looked down couldn't see the saddle horn for snow piling up. Horse had ice all over her head. I new I was in trouble had to keep moving my fingers to get my feeling back as they were going numb. 5 hours later we got to our camp. Still snowing piling up. After 4 days we some places waist high. We decided to leave after a break in storm. We had to climb 2000 ft to get back to my truck in the back of my mind I knew we were in for a real challenge getting out. Snow was up to my stirrups horses stopped wouldn't go anymore dismounted and had snow up to my armpits the drifts were so deep and the snow kept coming down we finally got out safe but what a struggle. We were lucky to not get frostbite die of cardiac arrest etc. good thing I had chains schnees pack boots and rain gear.

16-Sep-16
Where the horses and mules ok too?

16-Sep-16
Yes what a a ordeal. We took our time getting out we were really lucky headed back to same area snow is always a strong possibility

16-Sep-16
Great news!

16-Sep-16
A situation like this can easily go from bad to worse. Glad everyone made it out OK.

16-Sep-16
That's what to expect during rifle season. Why were you rifle hunting?

No offense intended, but if you archery hunt for elk you get changing leaves, bugling elk, mild weather and less snow.

Got nothing against rifle hunting, but bowhunting for elk is way more special to me than October rifle season.

Bowhunting is a choice, take the challenge. You won't regret it.

16-Sep-16
I got caught in a snowstorm as well. I was a teenager at the time hunting with a teenage buddy. We weren't as prepared as we should be.

It was our first time to this area and we were backpacking in and camping up high. About four miles in it started to snow hard. The wind was blowing sideways and visibility was about 20 feet. We decided to set up a tent to wait it out. The storm continued for another 24 hours. During that time we were debating trying to hike out but remembering how many cliffs we had to walk past on the way in combined with being unfamiliar with the area and limited visibility, we decided to stay put until it passed.

At that time we didn't have any good gear for that kind of weather (we were teenagers teaching ourselves about backpacking and hunting). We were absolutely freezing cuddling up in that tent. We were doing push-ups and sit-ups almost constantly to stay warm. Looking back this is actually pretty funny now.

We hiked out once the wind stopped in 2-3 feet of snow. It wasn't anything really serious but it was quite the adventure for a couple of unprepared teenagers.

16-Sep-16
No offense intended but....... here is your offense......

He is a hunter. Doesn't mean he has to always be a bowhunter just because he posts here. Maybe his buddy doesn't hunt with a bow, maybe his schedule didn't allow. There are a thousand reasons why he might have been rifle hunting that are really none of our business. After hearing that story, the last thing that would come to mind would be what weapon he used.

The fact that it is more common during rifle seasons is a good point, but there have been guys snowed in during many archery seasons too.

Glad you made it out OK Gutpile! Thanks for sharing

16-Sep-16

Hayguide's embedded Photo
Hayguide's embedded Photo
I bow hunt-have been since I started using my first bear-A Bear compound a whitetail hunter 1977-with Wasp heads--but I save my vacation for 1st rifle season Colorado Elk after my guide season is over or tapering down. I do a challenging single man drop camp about 8 miles from a trail head-outfitter takes me in and leaves me-I supply the gear.-its a challenge and I usually come back with a bull. Snow makes it interesting-never been snowed in, but I have had to stay in the tent a day or two. Wouldn't miss this hunt for anything else I do all year. I'm a professional fisherman and run a Bear hunting guide service. Someday when I retire from that I will chase a bull with a bow-until them its a gun. Not sure why someone has to be negative here. Kind of like a hardware trout fisherman to a fly fisherman-who cares? Your hunting or fishing-all the same sport. Do you think the advertisers on this page care? here is my last big Colorado bow-4 of them after this one but this one is my best from 2010. I take the first bull I see on these Colorado rifle hunts because it might be the last!

16-Sep-16
Reminds me of some of the old Jack O'Connor or Jim Zumbo kind of elk hunts! Elk hunting, if nothing else, should be an adventure. Nowadays I think most guys just hope to book out there, shoot one, and get back home as soon as possible. I loved your recount, glad you and the stock made it out ok!

16-Sep-16
txhunter58

Thanks !

21-Sep-16
I am a bow hunter also my first elk I killed with a bow. I am older now and choose not to hunt elk with a bow. I shot a dandy 6x6 archery in Arizona unit 7west back in 2009 gave him all night and never seen him again I feel confident that bull died. Since then I won't bow hunt elk. I kill a lot of white tails with a bow. That said the outdoors we love can get nasty don't ever lose your head keep your wits. I am leaving for same hunt on the 11th of October 1st rifle season is a little later than normal I upgraded rain gear for the chance it may happen Again. Happy hunting my fellow bowsiters.

21-Sep-16
#riflehunterslivesmatter

Way to get out there buddy

• Sitka Gear