Mr.C 22-Sep-16
goelk 23-Sep-16
Ziek 24-Sep-16
elkstabber 26-Sep-16
jdee 26-Sep-16
Ziek 26-Sep-16
goelk 27-Sep-16
19-Sep-16
Well, I had a awesome hunt but did not fill my tag. I had three chances but on two of them the wind change on me and I got busted. The third, well this one really bothers me. I called a bull into bow range and I am hunting with my 60lb recurve. Wind blowing slightly right to left up-hill. I see the bull coming and I draw my bow at 20yds as he goes around a tree and then stops straight at me in front of a service berry bush looking for at me. The bull is not moving and I cannot hold my draw anymore. I let off slowly and wait to see what the bull next move will be. The bull is still looking straight at me and steps out from behind the bush and walks to 15 steps from me to my left then just stop broad side looking at me the whole time. I swear he stood there forvever. The bull finally decided to keep walking to my left and there a tree about 5 steps away from me slightly down from me. Just one more step and I got him. Wrong, he bolted out there and I bugle and cow call and stop him at 60 yds. To far for me.

Just wondering what you guys would have done if hunting with a long or recurve bow. I thought about shooting thru the bush at one point, then drawing my bow slowly when he was broad side or when he was walking. Remember, the bull is looking at me the whole time. I was afraid to draw and he spooks most likely.

Well, it was a rush and something I will always relieve

I'm done venting now!

19-Sep-16
Hindsight is 20/20. I just got back from a week and have a half dozen things I would have done differently as well!

If I was in your shows I would have done exactly what you did. Being that I know what the outcome was I would say maybe draw while he's looking, I've gotten away with it before. Chalk it up to just not your year.

19-Sep-16
I would of attempted to draw while he was walking broadside to me. Tough to say as you have to be there to see what the animal is actually doing. Shawn

19-Sep-16
Been there, done that. Not an elk, but an old whitetail buck with palmated antlers. He walked into my life like a bull, scattering two little bucks and several does and fawns that I had been watching for probably thirty minutes. He put his head down to eat and I started to draw my bow. As soon as I moved, he froze. So, I froze too. He stayed stock still for probably ten seconds and I was resting my cam on my knee, preparing to draw again. When he did move, he just wheeled around, went into the mesquite, and out of my life. He would have made a helluva mount with those palmated antlers !

So, right then and there I resolved that I should have went ahead with my draw, because the outcome couldn't have been any worse, and it might have been better. But I've made the same mistake since then, so much for resolutions

19-Sep-16
I had a 6x6 bull bust me on a skid trail at 25 yards. He was above me. We stood there and looked at one another, seemed like forever but probably only a minute or less. He was broadside but staring me down. I was able to get hooked on my loop but was afraid to draw.

He even looked up hill away from me at one point. That is when I should have drawn and tried my shot. But I was frozen unsure what I could do without spooking him.

Eventually he looked down at me again then bolted off up the hill the way he had looked.

Still bugs me to this day that I didn't draw and take my shot. I did have some grass and weeds blocking my shot but should have been able to poke an arrow through at that range.

Hesitation kills.......your chances.

19-Sep-16
Shooting through the bush is not a good idea. However, I've drawn on several bulls at close range that were looking but hadn't winded me yet. Many times they just continue to stare. Sometimes they bolt for a few yards, stop and look back, sometimes they just bolt. You never know how they will react. But it's only a matter of time before they wind you when they're close. So unless you really expect a good chance to draw, might as well take a chance and try. Especially in your case. He let you let down without busting out, there's no more motion than that to draw again.

19-Sep-16
With a recurve bow I would slowly draw my bow if he is walking,(same speed) and stop when he stops. You could probably get away with drawing on him slowly when he stopped. There is no jerky action drawing a recurve as compared to a compound. Hindsight is 20/20.

19-Sep-16
I have found that if the animal is not moving you can find a way through brush oftentimes and for me it helps concentration. My experience is mostly with whitetails though. I've shot all my big bucks except one though some spindly-serious brush...you take a chance for sure but maybe it's the only chance you'll get. I will say that for me at least it's very hard to shoot and a moving target through brush, I have to have a non-moving target.

I'm with Jordan! ...hesitation kill chances (mine at least)

19-Sep-16
How close is the Bush to the bull? If the bull is tight to it I'm sending an arrow!

Had an encounter similar once on a dink. No bush but a stare down. He turned his head and took a step. I cow called he bolted three steps, stopped and stared. He was a dink and I was playing. Pretty sure I had time to draw. No telling if it would of worked with a mature bull?

20-Sep-16
"There is no jerky action drawing a recurve as compared to a compound."

If that is true for you, learn how to draw your bow, or lower the weight to something you can handle. You should also be able to let down smoothly and under control.

There is also a huge difference between finding a hole through the bush to shoot through and just shooting through it, HOPING for the best.

20-Sep-16
I don't shoot long or recurve but think I would have drawn as the bull was walking broadside. Your movement might have made the bull stop dead in his tracks for a second while he tried to determine if you were a threat or not. This is when you release.

I don't know much about shooting a recurve but I assumed a lot of the shooting was one solid motion from draw to release, more instinctive shooting. If this is the case then the draw might have made the bull freeze for a second on your movement, giving you the split second you needed to release.

It all hind site though and that might not have happened.

20-Sep-16
Here's what I have learned through the years - take the risk of being seen and draw. Chances are you will not be seen but if you are most animals will stay long enough for a shot.

Second rule, NEVER kneel. Still see a giant ID elk less than 10 yards away and I am on my stupid knees with no shot. Had I just stood there he would be on my wall.

One thing is for sure is if you don't draw you can't shoot.

Most of the time I was patient and waited for a better shot it usually doesn't materialize.

It would be so nice if they just stood there for us. Why do they make it so difficult!

22-Sep-16
Well guys thanks for your input! Future I am drawing my bow and hope for the best. I'm glad that I'm not the only person this happen to. I've been shooting a 60lb recurve for over 45 years and maybe time to look into dropping to 55lb. I love elk hunting!!

22-Sep-16
Should've been wearing a HECS suit!

22-Sep-16
I concur with Sage: I'd lean towards being aggressive and trying to make something happen (gamble on drawing) rather than waiting.

I'm not talking about taking an iffy shot, but rather trying to get a shot (draw even if elk is looking at you, move slightly if you need to find an opening, etc.) You never know he might just hesitate trying to figure out what you are.

By freezing it's usually just a matter of time before things unravel, so you may as well try something.

22-Sep-16
And here is where opinions will vary :-)

I have been there too. The first couple of times it happened to me I did the exact same thing. I was proud of myself for not taking the shot but then suffered from "non-shooters" remorse.

So, I practiced those scenarios in my mind and at the range and I told myself "the next time this happens, if it feels right, shoot." Low and behold the same scenario that you explained happened to me the following year. I chose to shoot. 17 yards, 55lb recurve (I draw 29+) the bull piled up 50 yards away.

The moral of this story is.... Every situation is different and If it doesn't feel right don't do it.

22-Sep-16
ya dont shot ya dont eat hahaha...great incounter by all measures though youll get um next time

MikeC

23-Sep-16
HH1

Thanks for your input! Ever since I've been home I practiced that scenarios in my mind and at the range and I told myself "the next time this happens, if it feels right, shoot. I've shot this bull about thousand times now.You guys really help and I can not wait until next year. Sage Buffalo, I wondering about your second rule,Never Kneel. How many of you prefer to stand to kneel? I am thinking, if kneeling I might look more of a threat of a predator.

24-Sep-16
Most of my elk were taken from a kneeling position, including my 5 biggest. I can't recall missing an opportunity because I was kneeling. I know others have. Of course, you gotta know when NOT to kneel. It wouldn't make sense if you had no shot if you kneel. Situational awareness is what's important. The predator elk fear most stands upright on two feet, so that concern is not valid.

26-Sep-16
Sage wrote up a good description but I disagree - partly.

I've shot a recurve for about 15 years and have found that its best to just draw when you think maybe you can get away with it. A bull elk isn't going to blow out because he sees you draw unless you make a weird noise when drawing. He'll likely stop after you draw to look you over. This is about the perfect situation.

If he doesn't stop after you've drawn then you'd better be prepared to shoot him while walking because he may just keep on walking. I would only shoot a walking bull at 20 yards or less but everyone is different. You'd better practice shooting on moving targets before attempting this because elk walk a lot faster than deer.

I disagree with Sage on the kneeling. There's a right way and wrong way to kneel. NEVER kneel on one knee because then you can't pivot (left or right) for the shot. ALWAYS kneel on both knees because you're more flexible and able to shoot left or right that way. I've found that an elk is looking for another elk and that if you're kneeling on both knees you are not a threat and may not even be of interest to them. When kneeling you can get away with more.

Sometimes, if you're lucky, you can even shoot at the same bull twice when kneeling and kill him with the second arrow :)

26-Sep-16
I would have done just like you did....wait for a shot to present itself. You bugger him and he is gone.. Saturday I had the biggest monster bull at 30 yards in an open meadow looking at my buddy straight on at 20 yards who was calling for me and.to the right of him were our horses all tied up. I was in the middle of them 30 yards from the bull and could not draw because the bull was looking at my friend then the horses. Now this was a 380 class bull and I knew if I drew he was not going to just stand there. I waited until he turned to run knowing my buddy would stop him which he did. The shot was low and I watched an absolute huge bull run away.I shot him at 45 yards but he must have been 50 plus.

26-Sep-16
"...and could not draw because..." and "...I knew if I drew he was not going to just stand there."

Actually you could have drawn, and you didn't know, you only suspected. What we do KNOW is that what you did didn't work out.

27-Sep-16
Ziek you're right about what I know is that what I did didn't work out. elkstabber thanks for your input interesting!

I can not wait to get back again! I love this site you learned so much from everyone. Thanks

• Sitka Gear