smarba 20-Sep-16
Dyjack 20-Sep-16
JordanMOFLCO 20-Sep-16
squirrel 20-Sep-16
Ucsdryder 21-Sep-16
'Ike' (Phone) 21-Sep-16
Woods Walker 21-Sep-16
20-Sep-16
Wondered if anyone has had the experience my partner and I had two weeks ago. We came upon a bedded cow that had no idea we were in the area. We watched her for about 5 minutes through the brush at 38 yards. We had the wind, but 50 or 60 yards away a squirrel started his chatter, and within a few seconds, the cow was on her feet staring toward the squirrel, then turned and moseyed away. Makes you wonder how may elk you missed seeing because of those pests!

20-Sep-16
Usually if the squirrel is further than 30 yards it's not you that it's narking on. Theyll do it for just about any coyote sized animal or bigger, and birds of prey. I actually started to see more animals after I started watching where the squirrel alarms come from. Maybe you weren't the only one hunting that cow, or maybe there was more elk.

20-Sep-16
If elk moved every time a squirrel barked, they'd never get any rest.

20-Sep-16
Dyjack hit the nail on the head. I always get annoyed when guys use squirrels for target practice because they were annoyed by them. I considered it one of the turning points in my hunting career when I started to pay more attention to other animals in the woods, squirrels in particular. They bark at everything, even elk. Especially when cold calling, that suddenly chatty squirrel could be the only clue you get that an elk is silently making its way to you.

20-Sep-16
birds heckle me because they know I am a predator. Squirrels are just another obstacle for us,

20-Sep-16
LOL a few years ago I had a good bull walking into my shooting lane @25-yards. Despite me being very careful with minimal movement & sound, something got his attention and he turned to look toward me before I had done much more than dent the bowstring.

I hadn't even begun to draw, so froze, thinking I was probably busted.

A couple of seconds later a squirrel began chattering a dozen or so yards behind me and dropped a pinecone.

The bull immediately relaxed and turned to continue, giving me an opportunity to draw and take my first mature bull.

I could have kissed that squirrel :o)

20-Sep-16
Andy, I also stopped shooting squirrels in my hunting areas. They rarely alert when I walk through now, only if there is something else. But I'll still shoot one on a random trail or in my small game spots.. It's just so damn fun.

I had one barking at me when I was hunting Muleys last year. I was getting icredibly annoyed, just waiting for him to come down from his perch. Then I turned around and there was a few coyotes twenty yards behind me staring at me.. He was just warning me hahaha. This year I had a bear and Cubs come out of a timberline. The squirrels were narking on them every time they passed a tree, I just didn't know what it was until they walked out. Got mock charged. thankful for squirrels these days.

20-Sep-16
damn things drop pine cones making me constantly wonder....is that a squirrel or an elk making that noise........almost always a damn squirrel.

I had them nearly run over me chasing around. Several peed their proverbial pants when they got close then realized I was not a stump. LOL

They do love to nark on you but usually most will lose interest after several minutes. Some just never stop. I usually move on if I have a persistent one squawking at me.

20-Sep-16
You people are just sick... Spawn of the devil??? No doubt a couple on here believe it.

21-Sep-16
I hadn't a squirrel HURLING pine cones at me this year. Never had them intentionally try to hit me with pine cones and this one was absolutely doing it intentionally. Little bastard.

21-Sep-16

'Ike' (Phone)'s embedded Photo
'Ike' (Phone)'s embedded Photo
You talk'n to me...They are pretty funny at times!

21-Sep-16

• Sitka Gear