bowaddict 16-Oct-16
maravia14x24 16-Oct-16
Z Barebow 16-Oct-16
HDE 16-Oct-16
Native Okie 16-Oct-16
huntingbob 16-Oct-16
Rick M 17-Oct-16
21-Sep-16
I am curious as to what the rest of you think. I believe the rut has been delayed in the parts of Colorado where I have been so far. Very quiet. Not seeing alot of activity, sign, or folks hauling out racks. Anyone else think it has been unusually slow in CO?

21-Sep-16
I have not been out for CO elk. First time in 15 years. Last year was really hard and I lost my edge. As a result I switched up and focused on amount of state deer tag. Been very fun. But I can not wait for next fall to go back to elk.

That being said, all my friends are having a hard time. Early on they yahd some call response but lately nothing.

I have only seen one elk rack on a truck in town and I look at every trailer and every truck. hot Dry and quiet.

21-Sep-16
Cant speak for CO but,this has been the worse yr for hearing elk in the last 15 for me here in MT

21-Sep-16
Utah has the worst season dates of all Elk states by far. I hunted all 28 days of our season and really didn't experience any Rut action. A few bugles early in the AM and late PM was all. Seems like every year its getting later and later...

21-Sep-16
Was in Central ID last week, rut seemed on par with normal. Full moon and hot weather, during what is in my view the best week, had things all jacked up. I looked outside and could've shot one in a meadow at 3 AM, it was that bright! Bulls screaming all night and in bed by an hour after sunup. They were definitely in herd gathering mode. It was just too warm and bright to get any significant mid-day action.

We had one day where a quick cold front passed through and we got into a total rutfest, but couldn't get a bull on the ground despite several close encounters.

That's how hunting and fishing go, both are so weather-driven you just have to do your part and hope for the best. Stay mentally focused on the off days because you can still luck into something.

There were 2x as many camps in "my" area as last year. From observation and statistics, that seems to be a general trend, a lot more archery pressure both in that area and in general the past 5 years. From a selfish perspective, that's what stinks the most! Elk hunting is miserable, people! Really, it's no fun at all!

21-Sep-16
Hunted northern NM from the 6-13th and it was relatively quiet compared to other years. Could have been from pressure but our thought is that the rut is going to be later than usual based on the lack of rutting activity we saw.

21-Sep-16
I was out Thursday - Sunday. It is very slow in GMU 581. I am turning my focus to my deer tag, freezer is empty.

21-Sep-16
This was a poor year for me. Hunted Sept 10 to 18 in the Bighorns and there was nothing bugling....at all. We probably heard maybe 6 bugles all week. None even at night. We never got a response when using location bugles.

21-Sep-16
Worst year in memory for lack of bugling Elk and number of hunters. I still haven't seen a wallow that has been used. They were hammering them the first of Sept last year.

21-Sep-16
Wolves an issue?

21-Sep-16
Definitely a tough year in AZ. It was drier than I had ever seen it during elk season. Normally that can be an advantage as the elk will be hitting water regularly. However, combined with the full moon, it made it tough because they would come to water at night. Very little bugling activity over the 10 days I hunted. Even at night! Still, I take what I can get! Ended up finding a place to glass up a herd and make a stalk.

21-Sep-16
"Wolves an issue?"

Hehe - since there are few/none in most of the states posted so far, I doubt it.

21-Sep-16
I really think it is due to pressure more hunters than I have seen in 25 years in southwest CO

21-Sep-16
Been one of the worst years in a while for us in Colorado. I was fortunate enough to put my tag on a bull the first week but as far as seeing numbers and hearing elk it's been a down year.

21-Sep-16
I had the most vocal start I have seen in a long time and then it slowed at the start of muzzleloader. Trying to get work to a spot where I can catch the last 3 days of season.

21-Sep-16
I just got back from my hunt in Co. We didn't hear many bugles but we chalked it up to elk density, pressure and weather. We did have a bull with cows going nuts two days in a row. We just made bad decisions because he is still with his cows. Lol

21-Sep-16
I've got a few wallows marked in the spot I hunt in New Mexico. We checked them four times in six days of hunting and one of them was hit one time. That's it. As I mentioned, that along with very little bugling was the norm for the week. By little bugling I mean one quick response and then nothing or a few at last light with no opportunity to do anything. We called in two elk during the week...the first case in silent and didn't present a shot. The second one I hit back and we never recovered. It was a very tough week.

21-Sep-16
We always joke that there are two stages to the elk rut every year.

Stage one: "Looks like a late rut this year, can't remember it ever being this slow. Things should get cranked up soon."

Stage two: "Looks like it was an early rut this year, can't remember it ever being this slow. I bet it was cranking a week ago."

21-Sep-16
Few or no wolves in WY & MT? Keep on drinking the koolaid.

21-Sep-16
I'd rate it as probably an average year really. Definitely some years where I had a little less bugling activity, and I normally hunt later in the year.

21-Sep-16
Best year I heard of in Manitoba :) Lots of bugling and big bulls taken with archery.

21-Sep-16
I gave up my deer and early elk hunt to help with my wifes Utah hunt. Even with the good timing for Utah LE archery this year we had very little rutting action. Sporatic bugling in the am only. We had some great encounters and one very good chance that didn't come together. Still a great first archery hunt and learning experience. Cant do anything about the heat either. Still I rate the hunt better than average (B+) because of the quality of bulls and ZERO hunters we saw in the field.

Started hunting Idaho last week and bulls were bugling well into the afternoon but evenings were dead and pressure ramping up. Even so I had 3 really close encounters in 3 days. Next week I'll hit it hard next week and hope they are still vocal. So far I give it a B- with time to make it happen.

11-Oct-16
Very odd year to say the least... Moon, moon, moon, and the LaNina transition...

11-Oct-16
Bulls were on fire for us in our Wyoming general area. Everyone we talked to said it was the slowest they'd seen. Funny thing was, that's exactly what everyone said last time we were out there. I don't think they turned off their side by sides long enough to hear a bugle. We heard hundreds.

11-Oct-16
Best year we've had in NM in 5 years. Called up 14 different bulls one morning in a 1.5hr time span. I called several for my bud and he took the last one to come in then he called several for me. After I got mine and we were waiting to retrieve them , they kept coming in even though we had quit calling. I've never seen anything like it before.

11-Oct-16
North Central Colorado, hunted a unit that only has a 6% success for bow hunters, elk. It did not disappoint me. ie, still is a 6% success unit and has just gotten worse over the years when it was 15% 10 years ago. 4X more bow hunters and less elk. In 21 day of elk hunting I saw two bulls, one spike, (three cows and three yearlings together.) I went 18 days without seeing or hearing any elk. I was using my recurve bow and may have killed one of the bulls at 42 yards with my recurve bow. The lack of cow elk and elk sign was really noticeable.

I promised myself two years ago I would never hunt this unit again but I have had some great times and success in prior years so hard to break old habits. How I know I will not return.

my best, Paul

11-Oct-16
I think this year in N. Colorado was pretty good. I shot my bull on the 12th and I usually dont see that kind of activity until later in the season. I tired to get my dad and bro in law a bull but the rain/snow storm screwed the last couple days of season up.

11-Oct-16
While I didn't hunt elk this year I can say the elk were going crazy while I was moose hunting in SW Wyoming (18th-20th). Walk a little bit of the beaten path and there they were.

11-Oct-16
My first time hunting AZ so I couldn't say what was "normal", but everyone was talking about how slow the rut action was. Hot early, full moon all night. Seemed to only hit the tanks at 0'dark thirty. Hit one stretch of 3 days and never heard a bugle. But we saw elk every single day. My understanding talking to a few residents the season this year was a week early? Ended the 22nd just as things were kicking in, the last 2 or 3 days of the season was pretty good. Another week would have been awesome! =D

Had shot opportunities on a handful of smaller bulls that we passed on. Got on some shooters, but tag soup. That's OK, we knew when we left that may be how it went, holding off for a mature bull or nothing. All in all a great hunt, lots of animals (lots of hunters too, but we were getting that figured out, never seen a place with more roads.... everywhere). I'd go back in a heartbeat and do it all over. Had a blast.

11-Oct-16
I agree with NoWiser, I talked to many hunters who said the rut wasn't on or they weren't bugling as it was too hot. Although far from an expert, I think too many set up their nice camps and then it is too difficult for them to relocate, so they stay in an area with no sign. I've learned from Bowsite that if there is no fresh sign and you aren't hearing bugles at night, the elk are not there. Somewhere in each unit elk are bugling, I need to uproot my camp and move! I heard elk most days (or at night in tent). If not, I moved drainages. I used trail cameras for the first time. I had elk (and hunters) on my trail cameras in my area throughout the season - helped me know where to hunt (or not hunt). I was "within 100ish yards" seven times over the season (I hunted part of 18 days through the season). Had elk close enough to shoot 4 times - but due to branches couldn't shoot and eventually the wind swirled. Although I didn't get an elk, I had action. My OTC unit only has about a 7% success and is extremely tight - all heavy forest. I've killed twice in five years (40%) since moving to CO, but learning it more each year. I would say it was a good but very frustrating season. Good to be close, frustrating to not release an arrow. I guess for my unit it could have only been better if I killed. There's always "next year!"

11-Oct-16
All in all this was one of the most action packed seasons I've had in a long, long time. I hunted central Colorado and while the first two and half weeks were brutal, without a peep heard and elk in july type patterns, the last 10 days were outstanding. Called in multiple bulls and had action all week. While I missed a really good one the second to last day of the season and had some lazy ass ruin my last morning it was awesome.

11-Oct-16
We had a great year, 7 bulls down & plenty of bugling action, about the norm. Some days were slower than others but if you were around elk they were talking as usual. I think a lot of the issues is hunters are not near elk, can't hear them or get them to fire off if they're not there! (grin) Between WY & ID we heard 100's of bugles all on DIY Public Land hunts.

ElkNut1

11-Oct-16
Very Good as usual. Lots of bugling, action, and success. Can't wait to do it again.

11-Oct-16
One of the quietest years in new Mexico for us.

11-Oct-16
Mixed review for me. First half of the month was great, best in several years. I was into elk darn near every day. Not tons of bugling, but the one's I got in tight to really went nuts. Second half pretty much sucked. Very little bugling, and the ones that did shut up 15-20 min before shooting light. Even though I killed mine the last week, it certainly wasn't because it was a target-rich environment.

12-Oct-16
Weather was tough, moon was tough and the elk were fairly quiet in my neck of the woods. That's how it goes sometimes. I had my fair share of opportunities and if one or two of those had gone my way I'd probably be sitting here talking about how great it was:) It's always good to be hunting. No matter what. No elk tag punched for me this year but still have deer to work on. I guess I could break out the broomstick for wapiti but it's been awhile..........sure would be nice to have some elk in the freezer.

12-Oct-16
Thanks......interesting mix of experiences this year. My worst year ever as far as seeing/encountering elk. Trying to sort out if that is saying more about me or about my area.......hmmmmmmmm Perhaps I need a 10%'r for a mentor.

12-Oct-16
Earlier I posted on the first two weeks of Sept in Utah. Since then I hunted only 3 days out of the last two weeks in Idaho. Each day was awesome as I had a chance at a great herd bull. I screwed up twice. No tag punched...but I had a chance even with very limited time.

12-Oct-16
JordanMOFLCO - I really rooting for you next year. You are definitely putting in the time. I"m no expert, but if you are not finding extremely fresh sign and not hearing elk - it's the area and time to move. If you are getting into elk nearly daily and not connecting (my problem the last 2 years) - it's likely the hunter, although I blame it on the wind and the forest being too thick. Either way, it's my fault. However, you've been hunting enough to know your answer. Like Paul stated above- time for a new area even though his current area is his comfort zone.

12-Oct-16
Hunted 13th- 25th sw Colorado first couple of days we saw a couple bulls and cows and then nothing for 7 days, they didn't start bugling till the last 5 days my buddy was into bulls every morning .I didn't chase a bull till the last day.next year the moon will be dark towards the end of the season.Maybe it will help.Can't wait

13-Oct-16
Really tough year for me. Can't wait till next year!

13-Oct-16
I was able to hunt 2 states this year. Started off in NM labor day weekend. They were talking. Good morning action and they started calling again around 2 in the afternoon. Killed my bull on the first evening. Went up to Wyoming as soon as I got him cut up. Showed up on Sep 10th and my buddy said it was very quiet. The first week we only heard one bull calling during daylight. I killed that bull. We hunted the next week for his elk and my deer and things started to pick up. They were still very sensitive to pressure and would shut up when spooked, but at least we could locate them. It was the toughest year I've seen in the 4 I've hunted Wyoming. The only thing I noticed was NM had gotten a lot of late rain and it was really green. Wyoming had been really dry. Maybe a coincidence.

13-Oct-16
In our area in Idaho this year was an orchestra. We heard many bulls daily and have 5 bulls in the freezer.

13-Oct-16
It was a different year for Sure. I have a large network of hunting friends. We all Compare notes each year and this was the slowest year we have ever seen as a group. We did manage to fill 7 out of 9 tags and kill some great Bulls. It truly only takes one! Here to next year !! Hunt

16-Oct-16
I've killed in dry years, wet years, cold and hot. I've never had a problem getting into elk if they were bugling or not........until the last few years in co. elk numbers are way down in many areas in northern co!! you have to have chaos to have bugling, you have to have numbers to create the chaos. I bet there was bugling and chaos in the park all sept. The division has basically told you what is going on in co. They need the money because they are a bloated agency. All the cow tags being sold the last several years were not due to carrying capacity issues! Colorado has abundant habitat being under-utilized by elk now. It's time to cut out the late season cow hunts and make the ranches shoot cows earlier in the season to take pressure off migrating elk from public ground, and target the elk staying on those ranches year round!!

16-Oct-16
plenty of bugling and action on private land. non-stop in fact, has slowed down now. but, in archery season it was on.

16-Oct-16
I would give it a B for me. I had opportunities, made mistakes. But was into elk.

16-Oct-16
Don't know about NM, even though I'm a resident...

Guess it depends on hunt pressure. Hunted an LE unit in UT this year and killed a cow the Tuesday after Labor Day as in the 6th of Sept and bulls were very vocal all morning and most of the day. Several big bulls had as many as a dozen cows.

A bull was bugling every 5 to 10 min or so the morning I packed mine out. Last load was started at 11 in the morning.

16-Oct-16
Tough year for me and the guys I hunt with in Colorado. Had a couple of opportunities that slipped through my hands. Overall I learned more areas that will help in years to come.

16-Oct-16
I hunted four areas before finding elk that were vocal and not pressured too bad. I saw or heard elk every day then. Funny thing is, I had without a doubt the biggest bull I have set my eyes on in archery season wind me at 35 yards. Hunted the same bull the rest of the season. He had no cows and another bull up the draw kept going off back and forth. Neither one had cows. First morning up there I got in front of a bunch of cows and two spikes and called in a rag horn 5x5 three times for my new hunting partner but no shot. Good experience for me and him. He told me he has shot deer and elk with a rifle but nothing compared to this! It was so much fun and glad to have taken him. Worth the trip just for him to see what it is all about and the adrenaline rush when you have a bull screaming at 15 yards in your face! I was as pumped as he was. It is a late rut this year. The two big bulls shut up for a day and really the rest of the season. Rain and thunderstorms. Heard barometric pressure changes it but not sold on that..yet.

17-Oct-16
Lots of bulls, lots of bugling but nothing killed. Had a lot of fun.

• Sitka Gear