Glunt@work 26-Sep-16
billygoat 27-Sep-16
cnelk 27-Sep-16
Glunt@work 27-Sep-16
Mike-TN 06-Oct-16
Orion 06-Oct-16
buckslayer1 19-Oct-16
26-Sep-16
I have 14 PPs and plan to cash them in on unit 61 next season. I would love to get feedback and advice from hunters who have drawn in the last few years on the best way to tackle this unit.

I am also interested in the possibility of teaming up with one or two others who intend to draw. I should be able to have the last 16-19 days of the archery season off work to really maximize this opportunity.

26-Sep-16
If you are a NR and plan to hunt archery elk in 61, you will need more points to draw. Can give you feed back when you draw.

26-Sep-16
Appears he's a resident!

26-Sep-16
Yes he is. My apologies.

26-Sep-16
I'll be looking forward to it, Salt.

I have a couple horses and like to pack in with them, but will likely try to stay more mobile and keep them by the truck to check out several areas, keep my options open.

26-Sep-16
From my experience there are certainly spots that it would be fun to pack in to, but there is more than enough elk & quality ground that can be accessed from the truck.

Its different than many areas. There is a surprising amount of human activity (bear hunters, turkey hunters, wood cutters, ATVers, mountain bikers, rifle scouters, cowboys, etc) and a lot of motorized access. The elk are definitely more comfortable around it than what I was used to. They still spook, but not into the next county like OTC elk often do.

A guy could show up with no prior knowledge of the unit and do fine but learning how to access different areas and sorting out the water sources in advance is a big help.

Its a great unit for calling with the high bull population but in our experience, water was pretty productive.

27-Sep-16
Thanks Glunt,

That will be an adjustment then. I've been getting used to seeing pretty much only members of my own party, but if the elk are OK with it, so am I.

27-Sep-16
Billygoat

PM sent

27-Sep-16
I should clarify that I only saw one other hunter and two ranch hands while out in the woods. Everyone else I saw or spoke to was at camp or on a road.

06-Oct-16
Same here. Hunted it for two weeks and only saw 1 other hunter during that time. I have no idea what was going on around the divide road.... I was always away from the road during daylight hours.

Mike TN

06-Oct-16
Yep avoid divide road and you avoid 90 percent of the other tag holders and people in general

19-Oct-16
3 of us hunted unit 61 in 2012 never seen another hunter in the woods . We bagged 3 Bulls with the bow. We hunted in Mike TN spots that he told us about. Thanks for the information Mike TN WE will be hunting unit 21 in Rangely Nov 5 thrue 13 for Muleys. with the rifle burnt our 20 pp.

• Sitka Gear