BlacktailStalker 17-May-07
Toby 17-May-07
Gator 19-May-07
Toby 22-May-07
Guardian 09-Jun-07
12-May-07

Guardian's embedded Photo
Reposting this due to the loss of photos in original post caused by the recent technical difficulties with this site.

Got my first brown bear ever with my bow here on Kodiak this past November after 9 years of trying. I was hiking into the river and as I was approaching it I saw movement to my right. I knelt down and peeked around some alders and here he was coming right down the middle of the river. As he got directly in front of and below me, walking from my left to right I drew my bow. The movement must have caught his eye as he stopped and looked up right at me. My heart was in my throat as I let the arrow fly 18 yards towards him. Shot was a little too far back. Bear only lept forward about 10 yards, grunted and stopped and looked right back up at me. Don't remember actually nocking another arrow, but I had, and let it fly before I knew it. 2nd arrow actually caught the spine and dropped him. He ended up dying in the middle of the river which was thankfully only 2-3 ft deep. I hiked back out to the road and called some friends to come out and help me get him out of the river for some pics. Will post a couple more pics along with this thread. The adrenaline rush was off the charts. Unfortunately my shots were off also, but thankfully they did the job farely quickly. I have taken several big game animals before but nothing had my heart racing more than this hunt. I was still shaking an hour afterwards. Highly recommend to everyone that can afford it, to go and experience a brown bear hunt. Fortunately being a resident here the hunt cost me $25.00 for the tag plus my $58.00 hunting and fishing license. Only downside is I cannot do it for another 4 years here on Kodiak being that it's a one bear every 4 years area. Oh well, there's plenty of other animals to chase here.

Take care everyone and straight shootin. Wil

12-May-07

I shot the bear from the bank on the opposite side of the river just to the left of my head in this picture.

12-May-07

Only wish my eyes were open for this pic.

12-May-07

Where he ended up.

12-May-07
how big was that thing?

12-May-07

He's somewhere between 7 1/2 to 8 foot. I have taken 3 Black bear with my bow and I have never bothered to measure them until they are mounted as a rug. I take the measurement once I have the mounted rug. No stretching that way. Also gives me one more thing to look forward to when i get the rug. He looks smaller in the pics due to him being soaking wet. His front pad was 7 inches across. Here's another pic of him taken 3 days before I took him.

12-May-07
If I were you and can bend your arm far enough around !! I would give myself a pat on the back ! Great job of getting him with a sticky shot ! You also gave us good pictures to look at !! Thank You very much !! bearman,

12-May-07
Outstanding Wil!

Congratulations on a great bruin.

12-May-07
Very exciting stuff. That's a beautiful animal for sure.

I've been to your fine state four times and only this last summer had my first up-close encounter with a brownie. Flyfishing the Talachulitna for silvers I was just concluding my morning 'constitutional' in the alders on the gravel bar when I heard a rustling in the thicket about 40 yards away. Thinking it was my dad, I said "give me a minute!". It turned out to be a good thing I had just that minute finished voiding myself, as things might have got messy when the sow and 2 cubs popped out of the thicket. She looked at me, the cubs glanced my direction then started somersaulting with each other, and then with a grunt from mom they all just sort of faded away.

I figured I didn't need any further scrubbing with the alder leaves and would just retire that particular pair o' undies as required and get myself back to the boat and the 44 under the seat.

13-May-07

CHASE105's embedded Photo
CHASE105's embedded Photo
Nice Bear something I always want to do. Here your eyes open Clint.

14-May-07
Congratulations, great story!

14-May-07
Wow....cool critter...Congrats.....jeff

14-May-07
Nice bear and good job! Mike

14-May-07
Are non-resident hunters required to have a guide with a firearm? And are residents not required to? I think that is awesome. I have no problems with folks wanting an armed guide for back-up, but if it weren't required, I'd want to do it without armed back-up. Thanks for posting and re-posting. Nice bear. Great accomplishment! Dave

15-May-07
Congrats on a great animal!

15-May-07
Congrats on a great animal!

15-May-07
Good stuff Guardian, Thanks for sharin and Congrats!

15-May-07
Thats awesome. I have a grizzly hunt booked for the spring of '08 and can't wait. Congrats to you! A truly great bowhunting accomplishment. I love that pic of the bear walking in the stream.

15-May-07
A nine year pursuit. Amazing. Congrats on reaching your goal!

Nice bear, great story! Thanks for sharing.

15-May-07
Pretty cool! Congrats! Hope to see another one in 4 years. Chuck

15-May-07
Wil,

Is it true that you could actually hunt again next year, by going to a game unit with a one year waiting period, instead of a 4 year period? I am under the impression that you only have to wait for 4 years if you want to hunt the same area.....do you know if that is correct, or did I get some bum info?

Jake

15-May-07
Great job Wil and great bear. Jake, some areas you can shoot a griz every year.

15-May-07
medicineman, you are correct. It is true that I could go to a 1 brown bear per year area and hunt them legally. I cannot hunt Kodiak or any other area that is a 1 bear every 4 years. No you didn't get bum info.

16-May-07
Great pictures an congratulations. My time comes fall of '09 but on the Peninsular. What part of Kodiak?

17-May-07
Thats a nice brown! Great accomplishment with the bow!

17-May-07
gator with whom are you going?

19-May-07
Cavner and Julian out of Lake Clark on the Peninsula.

22-May-07
good luck gator I only can tell you that hunting these brutes with a bow, will make you feel great!!!

09-Jun-07
Gator, took this bear on the road system here on Kodiak. Over the counter tag.

• Sitka Gear