decoy 19-Mar-08
GAME ON !!! 21-Feb-09
GAME ON !!! 21-Feb-09
HARDBALL 21-Feb-09
city hunter 21-Feb-09
flip 21-Feb-09
thesquid 22-Feb-09
08-Dec-07
New to Black Bear hunting and I need all the advice I can get.I will be using a bow and I need to know what is the best and easiest bear bait to use?

08-Dec-07
aanything really sweet that has lots of scent. I use a mix of the cheapest dogfood I can find. pour fake maple syrup on it, karo syrup, berry flavored jello powder on it. occasionally throw in some donuts when we can get them. put honey on it. do a honey burn, hang scent cannisters with a mix of vanilla and Anise, occasionally put chocolate syrup in the mix, and sometimes do a chocolate burn instead of honey.

08-Dec-07
stop it elmer!!.yur gonna attract me!!!

08-Dec-07
Oh yeah I forgot to mention, when I want to attract brown bears, all I have to do is take my wife with me to the stand. the 3 times she's gone with me(she's a non hunter) We've had encounters with brown bears. She likes their big cute fuzzy ears. Luckily the only time I've had any problem I had carried my rifle with me and had to fire a few shots....again, luckily not quite directly at him, but in the dirt in front of him. I normally only carry counter assault bear spray with me going to and from the bait but because my wife was with me wanted a little more protection and was glad I had it!

08-Dec-07

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
Donuts and Twinkies with Liquid Smoke for scent

08-Dec-07

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
Donuts and Twinkies with Liquid Smoke for scent

08-Dec-07
Popcorn covered in corn syrup. It is light, easy to carry and cheap to make.

08-Dec-07
Donuts and sweets are great, especially early in the spring before the bears guts really get accustomed to eating after hibernation.

But once the bear have their guts settled to food, there is nothing any better than a skinned full body carcass of a horse or cow. I know beavers are great too, but they don't last long, whereas a good carcass can last up to several weeks if you are not in a high bear area.

And nothing I know will bring the bears, from a long distance, more than does a good grease burn, if you know how to do it. Not even a honey burn will compare.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

08-Dec-07
a sow in heat

08-Dec-07
If its a new baitsite draw them to the area with meat scraps and keep them there with any baits that they like--sweets and meat being the best choices. Just make sure you give them enough and bait frequently enough to keep them coming back. I never saw much value in honey burns or grease burns once a bear knows that site exists.

08-Dec-07
Buckhunter, Bear baiting is realy very easy. Any of the above baits will work. Your real concern should be of attracting bears that you are not allowed to shoot(BROWN). I had to stick with dog food and sweets to avoid the Brown bears in Alaska. This is not saying that they would not eat the sweets in fact they would clean all of the bait in one sitting usually but they would never come around for a second time once the bait was gone beacuse they like to travel. If I used meat on the other hand you can bet the browns would be back again sometime in the future. So I do use meat, But I use it sparingly while I know I have blacks eating for sure by visualy seeing them or by hair left in the area. A scouting camera would also work as long as you did not did not get any bait smell on it. If you do the bears will destroy it for sure!!! Maple and cholate suryp are my favorites. Then I make a anise oil/pepermint spray mixed with water that I spray on anything I touch while at the bait. This brings bears from a far and covers my scent!!! I also use alot of honey. But i think the best thing u can use is bacon grease in large amounts. You can get this from any reasturant. This should be spread on the ground around the base of your bait site. When they paw or step in it the will track it into the hills for miles and every ear that comes across the track will back track right to your bait. Well I guess that's enough. Can you tell I love bear baiting!!!

08-Dec-07
.My neighbor goes hunting all the time without a gun,I asked him how he was going to kill a bear without a gun and he said watch.About that time a bear walked up near us and he said BANG BANG,Sure enough the bear dropped dead as a doornail.I said,how did you do that?He told me he was so ulgy that he scares them to death when he looks at them,he said I usually take my wife with me but she damages the meat to much!

Thanks everybody!

08-Dec-07
I've baited my own stands start to finish on 8 bear trips and been successfull on all 8. Including taking one B/C and one P/Y. The best bait is the bait the bear likes.

Mix it up and watch and see what is being eaten. Some bears favor chocolate donuts other stawberry (don't laugh) some will eat popcorn others favor apples. Some like anice others honey or vanilla.

If you watch them you will see them pick through what they favor 1st, 2nd, 3rd and so forth. Give them what they want and they will keep coming back.

Fryer grease and bread always seems to do well and it gets on thier feet and is spead around the trails entering and leaving the bait area. Attracting yet more bears.

Beaver carcasses are a good bait if legal and you can find them.

You can't have to much bait. Know the regs and work accordingly.

08-Dec-07
Thanks to the "bleeding heart tree hugging peta people" we will never be able to bait bear again here in colorful Colorado. Instead, colo. div of wildlife guys just shoot problem bears out of dumpsters & back yards because they have lost their fear of man.

08-Dec-07
"What is the best Black Bear Bait"

Pic-a-nic baskets! :0)

Seriously, all the above are good, but nothing I know of beats bacon grease for an attractant. You need something of substance for them to feed on, but bacon grease will bring them in from far and wide.

The Old Sarge

08-Dec-07
don't know what the laws are like where you live, but here in alaska I don't use bacon grease or anything that would end up soaking into the ground. 2 reasons.

1. as noted above meat and bacon grease attract brown bears

2. the law in alaska says you must carry out all contaminated soil from your bait station. using bacon grease soaks the soil worse than the dog food concotion I use, so we have to do less shoveling when done with our bait site...and the warden's do come checking!

08-Dec-07
I have a friend that has had a bear try and come through his tent to get him and has had bears chew the handle grips of his quad and a whole host of other things he has touched. As annoying as it is for him (and us when he is in camp!!!) it is truly amazing that they single the things out he has been in contact with. Since he is a hunter I am sure for a mild fee he'd be happy to come and "touch" your bait sites. This equates to a bait you don't have to pack in or clean up!

08-Dec-07
Well I just read the regs. and you can,'t feed bear,can't bait bear,and you can't use dogs.It does not say anything about using scents.If I'm out frying bacon to eat and a bear walk in is that baiting?No joke,if I'm in a treestand and I have a can of bacon grease cooking over a sterno can cooking,would'nt that be the same as using scent?It's noway to stalk these bears in the mountains of WV.

Thanks Woody,you just saved my butt.

08-Dec-07
buckhunter48 Welcome to the wonderful world of hunting bears. They are tough. Colorado is the same as here. Anti hunters got dogs as well as bait banned. It is pretty much impossible to find them during the season.

08-Dec-07
I bet wolf carcasses would work well.

09-Dec-07
What Bou'bound said - hunt the rut!

09-Dec-07

NYbob's embedded Photo
NYbob's embedded Photo
And candy works too!

09-Dec-07
Anything edible is valid bait. Bears are opportunists. They'll eat anything. Make it stink for better attraction.

24-Dec-07
Anything sweet and 12 miles of dead fish for scent

24-Dec-07
cook some jellow, marshmallows, bacon, and candy in a pot in the woods.

24-Dec-07
I lived in WV for 8 years. there's no spring season, just a Fall season. the archery season is fairly short before they let the gun hunters with dogs start chasing them. You cannot use dogs and a bow, it has to be a gun. But the population is very high ( ten to twelve thousand). You're best bet is to spot and stalk where the population is high glassing the clear cuts and reclaimed mining areas. Look for berries and wild grapes. I guy i worked with stalked and killed two bears that tipped the scale at over 500 lbs. Also, it's illegal to bait bear there but legal to bait deer. Go figure. I wonder why the archery kill rate there is so high during the deer season. Hmmmmm. Also, last year they opened up the Cranberry Glade area for bears which has been closed for years and they've relocated several trouble bears there. I just wish they would offer a spring season. Good luck.

24-Dec-07
LOL,anybody know of a bait that doesn't attract bears?Sweet,stinky,sour,fresh,rotten,fishy,greasy,meaty,candy,minty,........build it,and they will come.

24-Dec-07
Drive 30 mph over the speed limit on the interstate and in just a few miles you're bound to find plenty of bears.

25-Dec-07
Gampaw, Maybe you should take your act on the road with Foxworthy. :~)

27-Dec-07
This is strictly my opinion guy's but here it is !

After over forty years of baiting bears , There is no best bait ! But there is a very important first bait ! And even before that there are two really important items , those being location of your bait , and wind current ! Now comes your bait. To me it has to smell ! Rotten fish in my opinion is as good as it gets ! It's cheap to find fish, even minnows work ! Get it rotted down as far as you can to the point where it's liquid, soak gunny sacks or even wash clothes in the fish and with a wire , hang it in a small diamiter tree that will show claw marks good(aspen)! Hang it fairly high so bear has to work to get at it ! Also bear can't climb that smaller tree ! You can now tell now what was there ! The location and wind currents will do the rest ! When the bear find it just about any bait mentioned above will work . After this stage of the game meat scrapes in my estimation are hand down excellent , Why ? because they have staying power thru rain , sitting for periods of time before the bear find it , and sooner or later they will omit an oder !

I know some folks are restricted to what they can use , but for those of us who can , thats what I like ! bearman,

27-Dec-07
Bearman very good points. I have made a stinky fish oil (let it ferment a couple of months in sun). Works great hanging 1/2 a gunny sack soaked in this oil and filled with some treats. You are right, one can tell how big a bear is by claw marks, tracks and how high it can reach this sack.

28-Dec-07
Heres an other cheep way of doing thing...3 gallong buckets 5 muskrats and add half a liter of water put the cover on an let it stay in the sun until legal baiting time... look at your valley and your winds hang the smell bomb in a tree than put hole true it you will see when a bear got a it, then meat scrap for and sweet for the end of the season.cause meat go bad after 3 days and bear wont eat rotting meat(if they dont have to)

28-Dec-07
treadwell's only need one -

28-Dec-07

Brock-ID's embedded Photo
Brock-ID's embedded Photo
I use what ever I can find. I have used everything from popcorn to dog food to clams. Sometimes bait has been hard to find so we use what ever we can get our hands on. If legal in your area I do reccomend grease. I do not have the luxury of being able to go to the bait sites often to replenish. I have to take all I can when I can. The grease will soak up in stumps and the ground and will help keep the bears comming back, If you can take some post hole diggers and go to town. They will have to dig out a side to get to the goddies on bottom. I have heard Beaver works well, but it is not legal here to know for sure. We do seperate a stink bait from the main bait pile. Good luck with your decisions.Here is a bear my buddys wife took in 05 by using grease on dog food.

28-Dec-07
Meat, particularly beaver meat.

29-Dec-07
Beef and pork fat.. cut up in small chunks..

29-Dec-07
donuts bagles bread beef and pork fat beavers anything sweet.

29-Dec-07
Stop it. You all are making me hungry!

29-Dec-07
Beaver

29-Dec-07
Beaver is the best but hard to get in quantity. Makes a good hanging scent till the bear figures out how to get it. Bulk bait for me is donuts/bread/pastry with sweet molasses. Add fresh meat, jelly, old preserves or anything else that may be attractive to add variety. If its a new bait I'll do a scent bag up with mackeral, fish oil/juice vanilla, beaver lure, etc. I also soak the ground and surrounding trees in bacon grease and do a few scent drags out in spoke fashion from the bait.

30-Dec-07
Well I am new here, so first,hello everyone!

I use grain corn and i put some cow molasse over it. I take a spray bottle and dilut haft water haft molasse mixed,then spray it all over the forest, the higher i can on branch,so the wind can transport the smell all over the woods. Last year,it was my first attemp to bear hunting and i shoot one the week after he almost eat me.

01-Jan-08
An outfitter friend of mine in Idaho (now retired) used whole corn soaked in restaurant grease. He would put the misture in 55 gallon drums and allow it to ferment in the sun for a while before taking five gallon buckets of it to the bait sites. On occasion he would also take a cow carcass to the bait site or trailer a sick horse or cow to the bait site and simply put them down and skin them right there. Worked great for him for over 25 years.

02-Jan-08
COUGAR Imagine your shelf paying 2g for a bear hunt and sitting over a carcss...

There is better ways and much appealing ways of bringin in bears.Smell bring them in then the game is keeping them there until hunting start...all of the above works beaver, muskrat, corn, wheat, frying oil, pastery, meat scaps, candy's, try any thing... bears are like us they have defferent taste and will eat defferent food depending on the season spring or fall....I found 1500lbs of strawberry jelly i thought for sure i it the jack pot on 33 bait only 2 of them eated the jelly but on those 2 baits man they ripp the stomps out and chewed the bucket.Honey burns not for me.Here I'am lucky i get to buy crunch up vanilla and chocolate cookies by the ton that as not falled me yet....

02-Jan-08

WHACKM's embedded Photo
WHACKM's embedded Photo
Find some used canola oil at returants, the just go find some type of cheap filler. I use oats. Place it in 45 gallon drums with small holes drilled in the side. (About 1 inch in diamiter). That is the way our group does it and we kill some big bears here in Manitoba.

03-Jan-08
I would have put down corn mixed with oats as one of the baits used but I can get 9 feed bags of donuts for the same price as 1 bag of grains. If you're only running one bait that may not be so bad but running a bunch and that gets expensive pretty quick. The best baits aren't going to be your bulk baits, they are the icing on the cake not the cake.

03-Jan-08
Mountainman, I hunted over carcasses in Colorado with Ed Wiseman in the late 70's. It was smelly for certain, but the bears were using the baits. Sorry, I forgot to say that the Idaho guide ran hounds off the bait sites, so the smell was not a factor for us.

03-Jan-08
"Beaver is the best but hard to get in quantity." Truer words have never been spoken....

We found a good source of bait. Go to one of the 10 million local bagel shops and ask if you can get the bagels they throw out everyday - and they throw away a LOT! Lots of different flavors and smells in them, too.

03-Jan-08
I'am not saying it dont work it just when a hunter pays for a hunt he can have some thing better to look at then a carcass.My baiting is 75% meat scrap but I put then in a drum, keeps wolves and other out of the food source.YOU NEED SMELL TO BRING THEM IN.

04-Jan-08
Razorhead, this thread is about best bear bait,not poorest. Bears around here won't touch the darn things and neither will the ravens. I've tried every inducement I can think of--soaked in honey, soaked in grease, mixed with other choice baits--nada! Nothing! Nil! Zilch!

04-Jan-08
Guess those Ontario bears are more selective than the ones here in Idaho. A bag of bagels, donuts, bread, or corn chips covered in grease doesn't last long on our bait sites.

04-Jan-08
Ken, I think the bears around here just have poor eating habits compared to their northern cousins-LOL. Seriously though, we only used them one year, which was the first year we tried baiting, but they were getting inhaled by something and I'm talking quantities as in big piles of them, assumed it was bears based on the tracks (we never did end up seeing a bear on the bait, just trained them to come in at night and eat). We were getting them from a local franchise of a big chain that had lots of kinds of flavors like bacon, cheese, honey, maple, various berries and fruits, nuts, etc., not just the plain ones. Maybe that made a difference. Wonder if anyone else has used them and how they worked?

04-Jan-08
I'm sure they should work ! But maybe it was big foot using them for his coffee dunkin !!!! bearman,

05-Jan-08
Donuts, yes! Bagels, No! Bears wouldn't touch them. At the end of one hunt I had about 100 lbs of the things left over so I dumped them in an area that had a pile of bears. A week later, they were still untouched. For you folks that do pick up baits from donuts shops, you ever notice how many day old bagels they have left to give out. Seems people don`t care for them all too much either--not when theres jelly filled ones to eat.

05-Jan-08
You know what I just got thru doing ??? I just mixed up some of my concotion(sp) for my baiting ! It's Jan. for gosh sakes ! But nothing like getting a jump on things ! Besides it's a warm day ( over thirty) I can work with no jacket or gloves on , so I do it !

Here in MN. we are only allowed to bait about fourteen , or a couple more days before season , Fall hunting here , So you want your baits to work as soon as possiable ! Here is what goes on !

I fire up my cooking pot, and kettel ! Load the kettel with used donut grease (it's in the solid state)and melt it down on a slow heat ! When it's melted , and boiling , I pour in some bird seed , all kinds of bird seed ! Then I stir the pot till it quits boiling , Let it cool a bit , and pour the mixture into small plastic buckets ! When it cools completly, I turn bucket upside down and out pops a perfect little cake of bird seed held together by donut grease ! Smells wonderful. The next step is to put this in some onion sacks and twist wire around it so it can be put in trees. These are placed in certain spots on trails before season, I'll check them a couple weeks down the road after they are out, to see if the bear were there ! If the bear were there , then I know it's a good place somewhere near to place my bait. Then I take everything(wire and remains of sack) back out of the woods because littering is a no, no !

It's kind of fun to do also ! bearman,

13-Jan-08
Dang! These bears eat better than I do! I've wanted donuts for days now.

I once watched a nature show that detailed the eating habits of bears. It was really interesting.

First, donuts are probably favored over bagels because the donuts have lots of sugar in them, the bagels don't. The bagels that do get eaten are probably infused with the smells of other foods the bears like.

Second, in the spring the bears just woke up from months of hibernation and they've lost alot of weight and they haven't eaten in a long time. Generally during the spring time the bears like light and sugary things. Stuff like pastries, syrups and fruit. Meat isn't usually very high on a bear's lunch menu at this time of year but they will eat it if they can't really find anything else. Are any of you guys religious? Have any of you ever "fasted"? Well, if you have then you know what a bear feels like during the spring. You loose weight, you get weak and a little bit sleepy, and your stomach kinda shuts down. Your first few meals after you fast should be something light like a salad because if you dive straight into a really good porkchop, you'd better have two bathrooms because in about 30 minutes you'll be occupying one for the next 12 hours. In the spring bears like sweet and light stuff. Fruit is light and doesn't really bother an unused stomach. Also, the natural sugar in the fruit gives the bears a good energy boost they need and helps them build up their strength. Later in the year, this type of food will be passed over in favor of other stuff.

Third, in the fall they're getting ready for hibernation and they're trying to gain as much weight as possible. During this time of year they really don't want sweet stuff as much as they do fatty stuff. The higher the fat content the more it'll help them gain the weight they'll need during hibernation so that'll be what they go for. During the fall try anything meat related, the more fat the better.

14-Jan-08
Great tip bearman very useful! Were in Minnesota you hunt? I hunt up in the northern part around Fourtown and Grygla.

Happy hunting.

Ryan

25-Jan-08

mlind3's embedded Photo
mlind3's embedded Photo
I am a big fan of using scents from the company called "Bear Scents" We use the Anise and Wild Cherry scented bear balls! Very Strong smeel and are easy to haul in.

26-Jan-08
Whump Sez: I hid a dead beaver in the woods behind a tent revival when I was a kid it worked real good as a repellant. If bears like stuff that stinks I would go with the beaver. Hunt safe.

26-Jan-08
Beaver body parts, chester fried chicken grease and some sweaties.

23-Feb-08
bears favorite food is plain and simple BEAVER. GO TO YOUR LOCAL TRAPPERS AND GET ALL HIS BEAVER CARCASSES AND YOU WILL HAVE BEAR HITTING YOUR BAIT ON A REGULAR BASIS

24-Feb-08
How would the carcass of someone that goes around an steals hunters treestands or cameras doe? Or would we get busted for cruelty to animals?

25-Feb-08
Boris sorry it wont work, bear eat many different thing in there diet but they dont eat pieces of sh**

19-Mar-08
I think the worst part of using meat for bait is the fact that if the wind is right, you get to spend alot of hours smelling that stench.

Having watched a perfectly good 800lb cow be consumed from fresh to skeletal conclusion. I found that carcasses are used in the early season by bears. First consumed was the butthole, followed by a small access hole in the gutsack where the intestinal contents were consumed like bad pasta. The meat was consumed by coyotes and foxes and birds. The bears ate mouthfuls of maggots from the meat...licking them off like Tic Tacs by the mouthful.

Grains, oils, anise, vanilla, carcasses. Great bait. Hunters are the greatest conservationists...let's remember that when we're feeding tons of sugar to game animals, we aren't doing them a favor. If you wouldn't eat 20lbs of donuts a day, why feed it to a bear?

19-Mar-08
Boris and makembleed-------- :-)

21-Feb-09
I as an professional guide for over 15 years perfer--- To take an beavertail and nail it to and tree where i can view the results from over an hundred yards . If you nail the tail onto the tree about 6ft off ground cut end down it will make an sent dripper and the bears will leave claw marks on the trees for later judgeing. then i like to use an gallon of vegtible oil mixed with jello an put an whole in the bottem of jug and walk about 60 to 80 yards down the bear trails from my site locations. the stuff will get on there pads and hides for attracting more bears. Then if you use and molaases and grain mixed with powdered calf milk mix, sprikeld over 10gallons of cookie dough and generel mills cearel/ then top that off with 20lbs of hard shell taco shells made of corn meal an corn syrup. place in and area with easy acces for hunters and atv's to get the critters out quietly as possible and the site should work for several bears in any season/ rember timeing is every thing feed an ring an large cow bell same time and same chime every time. {P>S> only one bait site every ten mile area...}

21-Feb-09
I as an professional guide for over 15 years perfer--- To take an beavertail and nail it to and tree where i can view the results from over an hundred yards . If you nail the tail on to the tree about 6ft off ground cut end down it will make an sent dripper and the bears will leave claw marks on the trees for later judgeing. then i like to use an gallon of vegtible oil mixed with jello an put an whole in the bottem of jug and walk about 60 to 80 yards down the bear trails from my site locations. the stuff will get on there pads and hides for attracting more bears. Then if you use and molaases and grain mixed with powdered calf milk mix, sprikeld over 10gallons of cookie dough and generel mills cearel/ then top that off with 20lbs of hard shell taco shells made of corn meal an corn syrup. place in and area with easy acces for hunters and atv's to get the critters out quietly as possible and the site should work for several bears in any season/ rember timeing is every thing feed an ring an large cow bell same time and same chime every time. {P>S> only one bait site every ten mile area...}

21-Feb-09
Wrights Liquid Smoke Barbeque sauce concentrate. Open the top, stick a piece of cloth down in the bottle and let half of it hang out of the top. Then tie a string around the neck of the bottle and hang it from a tree near your stand......Then put a pile of doughnuts out.

21-Feb-09
yes liquid smoke the down side of that it makes u hungry while on stand .. Powdered jello easy to carry just add any water to it.. also any solid bait cut to very small pices so the bears need to stay at the pile and get shot with your arrow louis

21-Feb-09
Check out Cumberlands Northwest Trappers Supply.Search it on Google. You can buy liquid smoke in 5gal bulk.Works great for starting baits and the scent lasts all season.Also Bear Scents LLC.Strongest scents Ive seen.Also have had good results with the burning insence sticks from Cabelas. Cant think of the brand name off hand, but the wild berry and anise sticks have worked for us in the past.Good luck!!

22-Feb-09
Cereals, donuts, breads, and most of all a bottol of Bear Scent (brand name) Spray it around so the bear has to walk in it - he'll drag it throughout the woods and draw athers in. Best scent smell is what ever the bear thinks is best - use Anise or bacon - liquid smoke is also a good scent.

• Sitka Gear