ladybowhntr 13-Sep-09
car 14-Sep-09
Razorhead 14-Sep-09
kellyharris 14-Sep-09
car 14-Sep-09
Eddiebobeddy 15-Sep-09
30-Aug-09

squid's Link
Our Maine fall season is set to open tomorrow, August 31st.

The last 30 days we have been baiting and prepping for the season. We have an extremely large baiting area that covers nearly 1/2 a million acres in Aroostook county Maine.

We our hunting out of three facilities. We run majority of our hunts out of our 8000+ square foot lodge and have two outpost camps in our northern edges of our territory.

I will be online posting the daily statistics of bears seen, shots taken and some pictures as well.

We thought it would be neat to give a guides daily perspective on our day to day operations here at the lodge.

Best of luck to everyone that is hunting bears this fall!

30-Aug-09
this will be great thanks!

30-Aug-09
Ditto Bou's comments - really looking forward to it.

30-Aug-09
I'll be there in 2 weeks for my first bear hunt. I look forward to see how everyone is doing up to that point.

31-Aug-09
I'll be back at the outpost starting Sept 6th. I hope C.T. has a big one saved for me!

01-Sep-09
Our first night is under our belt here at the lodge and we started out with a bang.

We had 19 bears sighted, 6 harvested and 1 did not recover. All bears taken were adults and ranged from 150 to just over 200lbs.

6 bears at the lodge here made for a busy morning. We have recently renovated our processing facility to include a walk in cooler and full rail system.

I will be posting up some pictures later this afternoon of a few of the bears and the processing facility.

01-Sep-09

OxbowLodge's embedded Photo
Ok, I got a chance to get some photos ready.

Image posted here is of our updated processing facility. On the left side of this building we have the ability to drive in and hoist the bears onto a integrated rail system. This aids us in weighing skinning and processing the bears.

01-Sep-09

This next photo is a close up of the rail system. Once a bear is hung, it is easily moved from one area to another with no lifting.

01-Sep-09

Once the hid is removed, we can move the carcass around for butchering and transport into the walk in freezer shown here.

01-Sep-09

Here is a proud father son team that each took a bear last night. Bear on the left was a boar just over 200lbs. The bear on the right was a dry sow that was missing a front leg. The sow weighed in around 160lbs and was a very old bear.

Too keep this thread from getting too large, I will only post stats moving forward.

I'll try and get all the photos up on the web page with a direct link to all that were taken this week.

01-Sep-09
Really nice set up ... congrats to you and all your successful hunters as well.

01-Sep-09
Don't worry about the size of the thread! We want stats and pictures!!!

01-Sep-09
really just post heck there are threads on here with 500 photos

02-Sep-09
I want to say, Thank you to Tom, Tracy, and all the guides, helpers and cooks for the great and wonderful service here!!!! This is a top notch facility, large enough for all hunters to sit a bait once and not have to use again. Small enough to be be very personal with great attention to each and every single hunters needs, wants and desires for what type of animal they want. I am here now and have seen some phenomenal service, commraderie and some great bears and cleaning process. 13 bears in 2 days with 26 hunters. The weather is beautiful, the trout streams are absolutely gorgeous. The lodge is lacking for nothing. Having a fabulous time!!!!

02-Sep-09
Save me one! I'll be there in 10 short days!!!

02-Sep-09
is it ok to hang them from the neck? aren't they already dead? doesn't that mess the hide up?

02-Sep-09
26 hunters in camp?

02-Sep-09

OxbowLodge's Link
Since we can only post one image at a time to this thread it would take too long for us to get all of our pictures up inside the thread.

So, I have put up a album on webshots with a bunch of pictures. I'll post when we update the album with more.

02-Sep-09
Awesome pictures! The lodge looks amazing.

02-Sep-09
pretty bears..........those boys need to pick up a bow though.....how tough is killing a bear with a rifle at 15 yards!

03-Sep-09
why so sarcastic Bou???? congrats on your bears guys!!

03-Sep-09
+1 for shoot em with a bow. Mike

03-Sep-09

Update from last night. We tagged two more here at the lodge one being a whopper! Tipped the scales at 410lbs and the second a very nice one as well at 225lbs.

We have now tagged 15 here at camp and we are now at the midway point for the week.

Bou'bound, you be surprised at how many hunters start out at camp with bow and switch to gun. Our bow stands are setup at 20 yards and gun stands are from 40-60 yards. We are bowhunters ourselves so we know what is required from a bowhunters standpoint. The bear hunt in Maine is weapon of choice and with our large territory we have enough stands to cover whatever weapons our sports choose to hunt with.

03-Sep-09
Tom, What's the word from the outpost?

03-Sep-09
Outpost numbers for the week are 9 bears tagged so far. We have had several misses and a few hunters have passed up waiting for larger ones to show up.

We will tally up the totals by the end of the week for number of hunters, number of bears seen, shots taken and bears tagged.

03-Sep-09
ff- no sarcasm intended. i fully question the attraction of using a rifle on an animal you can get to within 10-15 yards of just as easy.

03-Sep-09
Get within 10-15? Apparently you have never hunted Black Bears in Maine. Very very tough on bears in Maine, very smart animals. Setting the hunter back in the woods not only increases chances of seeing bears but gives the hunter a better opp. at getting an ethical shot.

04-Sep-09
Thursday night results. Three more tagged at the lodge and 4 at the outposts.

Total for week one with two more nights of hunting stands at 31.

04-Sep-09
Bou' - personally, my bow has been put to good use over the years. My muzzleloader, on the other hand, has yet to see any action. I agree a little, though, using a rifle is kinda like hiring Shaq to dunk a ball for you. I'd take the two points, though. 6 days 'til departure...

05-Sep-09
stickmam -

never hunted maine but i don't think bear are that much different there than on the 22 hunts i have made in nfld, new brunswisk, ontario manitoba, and sask.

a good outfitter who gets bowhunting, strategic baiting, stand placement and is in a decent area has absolutely no issue getting guys set up within 15 yards of highly active baits. period

not questioning the lodge or outfitter, but i think guys who shoot both bow and gun and choose to forego the bow for a gun for bait hunting bear are missing something special

05-Sep-09
I've hunted bears in Maine, and do think they're a bit tougher than other places.(I've taken around 15 all with bow). I also think that alot of guys underestimate what it takes to kill a bear with a bow. The TV shows and videos make it look pretty easy. After hunting for a few days,a nd not having an opportunity, alot of guys start to get anxious for a number of reasons. This often leads to poor judgement and rushed shots later in the week,often resulting in wounded/lost animals. I'd much rather see someone harvest an animal cleanly, than do something they're not comfortable with.

07-Sep-09

OxbowLodge's Link
Final tally for week one.

Lodge - 25 hunters (one left early for medical reasons), 21 bears tagged, 2 others shot at.

Outpost 1 - 11 hunters 10 bears tagged, 3 additional shot at.

Outpost 2 - 13 hunters 9 bears tagged, 3 additional shot at.

Total from all facilities 49 hunters, 40 bears tagged, 8 additional shots taken.

For the remainder of the weeks to come, we will post up the tallies at the end of the week.

Some final thoughts on our business. We are often questioned on the number of hunters we take. While yes we do take many people, but in no way does if effect our quality or ability to provide a personal hunting experience. Our lodge at 8000 square feet with 10 bedrooms and 7 bathrooms can handle many more, but in the mid 20's is where we typically end up. Outpost camps can each handle up to about 15 each. There is plenty of room, space, food and hunting territory for the number of hunters we book. Our massive hunting territory combined with our facilitates and experienced guides (over 150 years of collective experience) allows us to capitalize on the associated benefits while providing quality hunting experiences.

As archers and hunters, we put ourselves into our clients shoes to ensuring that we provide services that we would expect booking a hunt through an outfitter.

A special thanks to Pat here at the bowsite for supporting sponsor threads and to Lancaster Archery and our partnership activities.

We wish everyone the best of luck wherever your hunting travels may take you.

07-Sep-09
Whew ... that is one big operation. Quite successful as well.

07-Sep-09
I will tell you it is top notch!!!! They may have a huge area and many hunters coming thru camp, but, I'll tell ya, they think of everything and especially the little things. And that my friends means the difference in an ok camp, a good camp or a great camp. Tom, Tracy and the guides and cooks left no stone unturned. Tom went above and beyond (as far as I think) to get me on a bear. I've been in some deer camps where the outfitter would not even consider changing my site till the last hunt. This is a great camp. Tom and each of the guides spends time with each and everyone individually, and by the end of the week, I felt like we were all family. The commraderie of my camp experience was phenomonal. Everyone intermingled and spent time and conversation as well as shoot bows with each other. Oh, and I never laughed so much as I did this week. The humor from everyone was exceptional. The only think I think Tom needs to add to the camps is a camp nurse!!!!! (hint, hint)hehehehe I would recommend Oxbow Lodge to everyone that wants to know where they should bear hunt.

13-Sep-09
Update on week 2 results:

Lodge 17 hunters, 8 bears tagged and 4 missed shots

Outpost 1: 10 Hunters, 7 bears tagged and 4 missed shots.

Outpost 2: 4 Hunters, 2 bears tagged and 4 missed shots

Total for week two was 17 bears tagged and 12 missed shots (out of 31 hunters). Bear activity was slightly below what we saw in week one, but still very good and offered our hunters plenty of opportunity to fill a tags. Missed shot opportunities was much higher than normal.

We did have several bears above the average in size hit the pole this week with one night having three bears over 300lbs brought in.

We are a little behind in getting our photo's posted online but should have all the pictures up by mid week and more to add from this week.

Results for week three will be posted at the end of this week.

13-Sep-09
Congrats on another great week. Too bad about all the missed shots but there is nothing you can do about that - you got the bear in front of your hunter - the rest is up to him/her.

13-Sep-09
these are gun hunters missing the shots?

13-Sep-09
bou- i bet they are, just because i think the gun hunters hunt 40-50 yards away which to me, would lend itself to a higher number of misses. i would think bowhunters would have a tendency at close range to wound more so than miss. no that said, i don't know if they mean miss as in not hit the animal, or miss as in not recover the animal but hit it(which to me is a wound)

13-Sep-09
Congrats on another good week. 3- 300# in the same night!!!! Wow!!!!

14-Sep-09
I have to agree with Bou. I've bear hunted in Maine,NH, WV,NM and BC. Taken bears with Bow, Muzzle loader and rifle. Maine is no different.I do like hunting over bait the best. Congrats guys.

14-Sep-09
I have to ask,my wife and I just got back from maine last week and the hunting was really hard the baits were getting cleaned out every day and we had good trail cam photos, but it was all at night, because of the full moon,at least thats the only reason I can think of.I had been with this outfitter a number of times and allways see lots of bears.Not this year,only small bears 100lbs or so 3 small bears in six days. finally on the last night my wife got her first bear about 180lbs on the last hour.I didnt even pick up my bow.Now thats hunting and I understand that. but from the looks of the map we were no more than 70 miles away,and it seams like you guys have had a grate season.Was th first week slow at all or was it just me.Congrats on all the nice bears.

14-Sep-09
they need to tuffen up (Boubound included) and start hunting with a pocket knife!!!!!!!!!!!

14-Sep-09
Correct me if I'm wrong but, does Bou have a target on his back?

15-Sep-09
That is quite the operation going on over there. Quite impressive and organized. I agree with Ryanrc that I can imagine more misses from gun hunters and more wounds from Bow hunters. That would make some sense. Completely missing a bear at 20-25 yds would mean you didn't practice at all or you shouldn't be hunting with a bow period.

If they are hunting remote wilderness I'm not sure how Maine bears could be considered the smartest and toughest to hunt. I just came back from NE SAS and one could argue the bears were all outsmarting me. I would argue it was just unseasonably hot and the night time full moons had a lot more to do with it.

• Sitka Gear