Bowsite.com on Facebook
  • Deerbuilder Food Plot Website
  • Trail Cam Photos
  • Bowsite.com Elk Section
  • Mathews Solocam
Summit Treestands Mathews Solocam Carbon Express Arrows Moultrie Game Cameras Sitka Gear LaCrosee Footwear 3RiversArchery
Whitetail Deer Section Elk Section Black, Brown, & Polar Bear Section Moose Section Mule Deer Section Sheep Section Bowfishing Section Mountain Goat Section Pronghorn Section Mountain Lion Section Wild Turkey Section Caribou Section Hogs & Exotics Section Small Game Forum Africa Section Food Plots on DeerBuilder.com Bowhunting / Archery Equipment

Candy Bear Licks

PRINTABLE VERSION

EMAIL TO A FRIEND

Messages posted to thread:
Q2 18-Nov-09
Stickflinger 18-Nov-09
ORARCHER 18-Nov-09
Headin West 18-Nov-09
Q2 19-Nov-09
Q2 20-Nov-09
Brock-ID 28-Mar-10
MaineBoy 29-Mar-10
4everbowhunt 29-Mar-10
guidermd 30-Mar-10
Q2 30-Mar-10
4everbowhunt 30-Mar-10
Q2 30-Mar-10
trackman 02-Apr-10
nalgi 02-Apr-10
trackman 02-Apr-10
MBguide 03-Apr-10
trackman 03-Apr-10
Brock-ID 03-Apr-10
trackman 03-Apr-10
Brock-ID 03-Apr-10
4everbowhunt 03-Apr-10
supersider34 04-Apr-10
Brock-ID 04-Apr-10
bullelk 04-Apr-10
Brock-ID 05-Apr-10
4everbowhunt 09-Apr-10
Brock-ID 09-Apr-10
Brock-ID 10-Apr-10
elmer@laptop 10-Apr-10
Brock-ID 10-Apr-10
elkseeker 11-Apr-10
Brock-ID 11-Apr-10
Mr Wapiti 11-Apr-10
Chip T. 11-Apr-10
Mr Wapiti 12-Apr-10
Mr Wapiti 12-Apr-10
Mr Wapiti 12-Apr-10
Q2 12-Apr-10
Mr Wapiti 12-Apr-10
wildgame 13-Apr-10
trackman 14-Apr-10
supersider34 14-Apr-10
wildgame 15-Apr-10
MTquiver 15-Apr-10
MaineBoy 18-Apr-10
wildgame 15-May-10
Big D 16-May-10
Mr Wapiti 08-Jun-10
Butternut40 08-Jun-10
guidermd 08-Jun-10
Mr Wapiti 09-Jun-10
Bear_Bait 09-Jun-10
Butternut40 09-Jun-10
Videos

CX Arrow Knocks Bear over!!
by Charlie Rehor

spring 2014 outland outfitting
by manitobabear

2014 Bear hunt
by JerseyGTI337

Big Black Bear
by Martin Man

Put Your Video Clip Here!

Could someone share a good recipe for making a candy/sent lick for bears.(Anise, honey, berry etc) I read a while back of some homemade candy in plastic coffee cans that sounded good & easy to do, but I lost where I read it. Thanks in advance.

I've been wanting to make my own for years now but can't find a good recipe either. YOu can order some lick/scent balls from BearScents back east but the shipping cost is more than the balls.

I think I remember someone on here talking about making one with heating up lard or some type of hard grease and putting bird seed (ALOT) in it and some sweets as well. I will look for it and post if I find it.

Cameron Hanes has a recipe called "Bear Crack". It has marshmallows,Powdered Jello Mix,syrup,and Granular sugar. Sometimes he would add fried bacon to the mix. The recipe is in his Backcountry Bowhunting Book.

If I remember right you boil up Karo syrup, sugar & oil flavorings. Poor into a plastic coffee can, loop a wire hanger in & cool/harden, peel off the plastic & your good to go? I would just like some specifics if someones in the know, the area I plan on hunting next year I can only get to once a week & these things have been known to hold a bear..Thx

I promise I won't tell anyone your "Secret" recipe. I know there is some knowledge out there!

I would like to know how to do this as well.

I just tried something similar this past weekend. It would be expensive to buy but I make my own maple syrup so it cost me nothing. I boiled a quart of pure maple syrup to 235F. Let cool to 180F then poured into a plastic coffe can and stired. After a short stir (20 seconds) the syrup began to set up hard. I added an eye bolt as it was setting up. Then I pealed back the coffe can about 20 min latter. Basicly I made a brick of hard maple candy. So far it has been slow to disolve in the rain but lacks scent. I think I will try again this summer adding oils or fruit concentrate for aroma.

The following is what I use in my baitsites.

Bear lollypop recipe

5 pounds sugar, 5 pounds flour, 1/2 Gallon water, 1 bottle corn syrup, 1 bottle/ jar honey any size, 1/2 bottle of cooking oil wesson is fine med size not the one gallon jug.

Take a five gallon bucket line with Crisco put all required items in mix, mix, mix until it is all combined. Let sit till it starts to set up about 2-4 hours then place a u-bolt or whatever you would like to use to hang it in the middle and let stand for a couple of days.

Take to the woods after you remove from the bucket and hang from a sturdy tree limb.

Note:You could proportionately cut the quantity size down to use ice cream containers etc.

wouldn't a 5 gallon bucket of molasses just be alot eaiser?? the bear really doesn't care how much time you put in it or who has the best recipe, they just want to eat the dang thing.

"The following is what I use in my baitsites.

Bear lollypop recipe

5 pounds sugar, 5 pounds flour, 1/2 Gallon water, 1 bottle corn syrup, 1 bottle/ jar honey any size, 1/2 bottle of cooking oil wesson is fine med size not the one gallon jug.

Take a five gallon bucket line with Crisco put all required items in mix, mix, mix until it is all combined. Let sit till it starts to set up about 2-4 hours then place a u-bolt or whatever you would like to use to hang it in the middle and let stand for a couple of days.

Take to the woods after you remove from the bucket and hang from a sturdy tree limb.

Note:You could proportionately cut the quantity size down to use ice cream containers etc"

How does this get candy hard?. do you need to boil to a certain temp?

"wouldn't a 5 gallon bucket of molasses just be alot eaiser?? the bear really doesn't care how much time you put in it or who has the best recipe, they just want to eat the dang thing."

In MN you can not leave any non-biodegradable containers in the woods.

Q2...This hardens on its own with no boiling.Mix it well and then pour into plastic icecream containers to harden then peel the container off and hang it.By peeling the container off you are not leaving anything that is non-biodegradable in the woods.A person can use anything they want to that bears will eat.I give the bears a variety at my baitsites to eat because I have seen what one bear will eat another would not touch.I do this to give my hunters every opportunity to harvest a bear.Most people have a different opinion on how to bait and there is no one way that is right. I do it my way based on 33 years of guiding experience and trial and error.Good hunting to all!!!

Thanks 4ever..I appreciate the info,I will give it a shot!

I tryed to make the bear lolly-pop i use light syrup ?? should i use the real syrup ? Any way it never got hard. ( NO I DID NOT ADD ANY VIGARA YET) I knew some one would ask.

Trackman- did you use corn syrup or pancake syrup?

I used corn syrup light ?? not sure but it is soft ??

you can add a bottle of vanilla extract to your mix and thats were you can get your aroma from works great for when setting up new bait sites

I put vanilla in the mix but it never set hard ????

Brock-ID's embedded Photo

I bought everything to build some suckers today, I am going to have to wait and see what 4everbowhunt says about trackmans try. Any other ideas from anyone else?

Brock That is what i used only i added one pack of cherry jell-o ??? Would jell-o keep it from getting hard ??

I have no idea about the jell-o. We will get this figured out soon...

The only ingredients I use are the ones I stated above.I'm not sure why trackman's did not set up but you have to mix it really well because if you don't then it will not set up.I'll be doing some soon with the spring bear season starting this month and post some pics for you.

I make big suckers from the hard candy types. It is time comsuming and works well. Find a recipe and make it as big as you like. I use 5 gallon buckets and drop a chain in the middle and use dog food for filler. Pour in hard candy mix and when it hardens you will have a nice sucker to keep them put to lick all day. Take chain and lock to tree. Or bolt. Works great. Works great with other baits at sites.

The following is what I use in my baitsites.

Bear lollypop recipe

Note:You could proportionately cut the quantity size down to use ice cream containers etc.

I tried this recipe this morning. After seeing what trackman had going on, I thought I would do the same thing but, I tried to get it to a boil. Bad move. It started to get hard and I couldn't get it stirred and was burning on the bottom on the pot. I had to scoop it out and it has got as hard as Jell-O so far. There are some hard candy recipes Karo syrup's web site.

Brock, I hope you weren't using the wife's good pans to brew that stuff! Not to mention the kitchen mess on Easter!

OOPS!

Brock-ID and trackman...I just use regular corn syrup and as to why it gets hard I'm not sure but it does.You really have to mix it well so I would suggest if you are having problems I would start by using 1/5th of each ingredient and mix really well and see what happens.Sometimes based on the size of the original recipe it can be hard to get all of the ingredients mixed really well.

4ever bowhunt,

I actually used a blender on mine to insure I got it mixed well. I read the PM about mixing and made sure it was mixed. I checked it this morning and it is still rubbery...

I tried another recipe today. It worked great. One is anise and one is maple. I will know for sure in June how it works.

what do you do to store it that long?? and how long does it take the bears to eat it??

This is my first year to try this recipe. I wanted to add something else to my baits. It is hard. (like a jolly rancher) I don't think storage will be a issue. I am hoping the chain will will keep it attached to the barell.

brock-id what was the recipe you ended up using those buckets look damn tasty

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup water

1/3 cup karo syrup

The hardest point was getting it get to 300 deg. it stayed at 240 forever then started to get thicker and went quick. One is anise, one is maple.

I used the same recipe as Brock but did it in a larger batch or eight. i now have a beautiful 40lb lollypop that is coconut, strawberry, rasberry, maple and vanilla depending on which area you lick :)will post pics tomorrow!!

Are you guys cooking your mix or letting it harden on its own?

Mr Wapiti's embedded Photo

here it is LOL i the kids think i am crazy HA ha

Mr Wapiti's embedded Photo

this is the size of it

Chip you have to heat it to 300 then it sets up very nice.

WOW, Looks good Mr Wapiti...How strong is the smell?

hard to tell with 1560+ donuts in your garage LOL it all smells good but i am not using it for scent just something for them to play with in front of the camera.

HEy Brock How did that candy taste? REady to pack bait on thursday? I think there will be to much snow to get to the area I plan on baiting. I'm looking forward to this years hunt. I'm sure no hounds will find my bait this year. I thnk I'll make some candy tomorrow.

Ya A lot of snow yet so i snowmobiled my bait into the south slope, so when the bear's come out there lunch is already there. I did get my candy made no flower and 300*

If you add dog food to them as a filler it will make them into a bigger size.

My 1st batch was a big mess. I poured it into an icecream bucket it was to hot and melted the bucket. I'm working my next batch with vanila. I will do another with anise.

MTquiver's Supporting Link

Thank for the great ideas. I am trying to help a friend bait a bear here in Utah

Mr. Wapiti, What did you use for a container and a release agent?

Any one had good luck with the bear candy? Mine the chewed it all loose from the chain looks like they ate some of it.

Big D's embedded Photo

I tried the flour sugar mixture It never hardened for me. I switched to a lollipop mixture 5lb of sugar 2 1/4 cups water 1/2 bottle of cream of tarder ( 2" tall plastic container at wallmart) cheap jello

I added honey on one mix the others,cheap sugar jello Warm the water to almost boiling,.. add the sugar, stir, and stir some more I dont know how to say this but you will notice when the boiling sugar changes,.. 5-10 minutes ( I was using an a Cache Cooker) If you have a thermometer 270 degrees or so ,.. dump in one package of jello stir like a mad-man,.. againthe consistancy and the boil will look diffrent I used a coffee can sized can I punched a 3/32 hole in the bottom and ran 332 cable, my thinking was to keep the bear from biting. $2.07 sugar $1.37 cream of tarter .47 for the jello put some on a flat pan ( oiled) for the kids!!!!

Well after having the 40# lollipop hanging by the bait for the season i came to the conclusion that it is a waste of time. Not sure the total number of bears that came in but while they all would give it a lick or two they would move on to better stuff.

Mr Wapiti did the 40# pop disolve at all? I can see where it might come in handy if someone couldn't bait every day. Might be enough to keep them coming back until a bait can be replenished. I'm going to make myself one. Anything you would change or do differently?

5 gallons of blueberry wine, 2 shots of whiskey per gallon, and a jaegermiester chaser will do the trick. if you don't get a shot, they'll be sleeping not far away and offer an easy stalk for the kill. works everytime. simple recipe.

yea it has had a lot of rain on it but after a month i bet it is still 30# minus the stuff i chipped off while hanging it. Like i said not sure it was worth the time. BUT i have rebaited a few times(5) with at least 800lbs of bait each time.

the main trick i have been using for baiting works better than anything else.

Really i have a great set up and we have named the bait site "the mad house" the lollipop really adds nothing.

The bear crack works great! just dont use the wifes good pot when you do it......lesson learned

With that much bait I think the bears got pretty spoiled :)

Bear_Bait I made that mistake boiling a deer skull. Not good.

Reply to Thread

Subject: RE: Candy Bear Licks

You are not registered - please click here to register now.

Copyright © 1996-2013 Bowsite.com
No duplication without expressed written consent of the author and Bowsite.com.

Privacy and Registration Policy