wacem 18-Jul-11
cme2hunt 18-Jul-11
Mathews Man 18-Jul-11
wacem 20-Jul-11
New2Bears 22-Jul-11
Bear Track 23-Jul-11
Bear Track 23-Jul-11
15-Feb-10
Please send me some pictures of a 1/2 mount with black bear on a log. I need some ideas?

16-Feb-10

masemaamed's embedded Photo
masemaamed's embedded Photo

16-Feb-10

NYbob's embedded Photo
NYbob's embedded Photo
My first bear from many years ago

16-Feb-10
Photobucket

16-Feb-10
Anyone with picture of bears standing on a log?

16-Feb-10

Deerman1's embedded Photo
here is mine. made to stand on a log, just havent had time to find the right log!

16-Feb-10

I'm really happy with the detail in the face. My taxidermist did a very good job IMO

16-Feb-10

Hawkarcher's embedded Photo
Imagine that fake rock he's standing on is a gray log.

16-Feb-10

Imagine that fake rock he's standing on is a gray log.

16-Feb-10

TD's embedded Photo
TD's embedded Photo

16-Feb-10

TD's embedded Photo
TD's embedded Photo
Oops. Forgot the story. I got the bear back from Corey Spencer, NB Canada with no base, as we talked about. I was pretty happy with the mount, thanks Corey! He didn't have much to work with as this bear was half eaten and mauled a bit by another bear. Big bugger too. In fact we had to run him off his "kill", he didn't want to give it up. Corey mentioned to me he had never seen one stand his ground like that with two guys yelling. And he's been on a ton of bears with Chase Outfitters.

This is a piece of beach driftwood that I finished with flat polyurethane, mainly to make it easier to clean, make the wood a bit more solid and keep the black bumble bees out or it. They're everywhere and bore holes in drift wood pretty bad. It is sawn on the back side and fits flat against the wall.

The log is pretty heavy and I didn't trust the form and mounting bolt to hold it. I mounted a black 1/8" flat bar on the back to support the weight. You can see it if you look for it, but is covered up pretty well, never had anyone pick it out unless I pointed it out.

It is also freestanding. You can sit it on a table or on the floor if you wanted to.

Here's another angle I found.

17-Feb-10

Mathews Man's embedded Photo
This is a sow lying down. It was my first bear.

17-Feb-10

My next bear is getting this pedestal shoulder form.

18-Feb-10

BOWNUT's embedded Photo
BOWNUT's embedded Photo

18-Feb-10
some scary stuff up above!

18-Feb-10
Bou'bound,

I agree with your assessment, some rough looking mounts in that group. Deerman1, did they not use the correct size mold for that bear? Either that or he was awful skinny and with the legs of a high jumper.

18-Feb-10

'Ike''s embedded Photo
'Ike''s embedded Photo
Not mine, but I like it...

18-Feb-10

Matt's embedded Photo
Matt's embedded Photo
My taxidermist didn't do a very good job either.

19-Feb-10
Photobucket Photobucket

19-Feb-10
My picture didnt give my mount justice it really is a nice mount and bear

19-Feb-10

Knife2sharp's embedded Photo
Knife2sharp's embedded Photo
Here's mine.

19-Feb-10
K2S's is my all-time favorite. The face is correct.

19-Feb-10
Thanks, a female taxidermist did the job and she did a great job on the face.

19-Feb-10
I think if I am lucky enough to harvest a bear, I will get a rug made. I personally don't like 1/2 mounts and no place to put a full mount. That is just me though

19-Feb-10
I shot a large bear and it was so big that I don't have any walls large enough to hang it in my house- so it's in my office at work.

Lately I've been finding a lot of pedestal forms I really like more than anything. My dad and I are actually doing some wood work ourselves constructing a few pedestal bases for African stuff (he went last year and is taking me along to hunt this summer in S. Africa).

19-Feb-10
mounts are like our children we all think our kids are great looking hhaha black bears with there mouths open now thats funny ,,,,man theres sone taxi guys that should give it up ...;

19-Feb-10

Muskwa's embedded Photo
Muskwa's embedded Photo
Here is a chocolate on the form Mthews Man was talking about. I put him on a mule deer shed for a nice table top mount.

19-Feb-10

Muskwa's embedded Photo
Muskwa's embedded Photo
3/4 mounts

20-Feb-10

Sows faces are longer and more tapered.

20-Feb-10
I like the 1/2 mounts for the smaller bears. Making a rug out of a small bear is just that, a small rug. Same with a small skull, folks that first see them think you shot a dog or something.

Bigger bears give more options. As can having the whole bear in the first place. My next will hopefully be a rug. And a nice bleached white finished skull.

As far as pretty mounts, well, bears can be like people. Some of us are just better lookin' than others...

03-Mar-10

WHACKM's embedded Photo
WHACKM's embedded Photo
Sorry if this double posts, had some conection problems.

This is my spring bear from last year. Just got it back last week.

03-Mar-10
Whackum, great looking mount!

03-Mar-10

droptine101's embedded Photo
I will try to take a close up. I have never seen one that turned out this good.

03-Mar-10

Here is the bear mount up close.

04-Mar-10

milnrick's embedded Photo
milnrick's embedded Photo
This cave mount was done for us by Dale Robinson - Tratton Run, in Berwick NB. We were going to have the big boar mounted life size but he was too badly rubbed. My sow (smaller) was a rubbed too badly for a nice rug so we opted for this instead.

04-Mar-10
Now that is a very unique mount! Cool!

You can almost see them kickin' back and smoking a cigarette...

04-Mar-10

Hardcorehunter's embedded Photo
Hardcorehunter's embedded Photo
Here is one of my bears. I like them looking mean like when I have seen them fight at a bait site.

01-Jul-11
any more?

01-Jul-11
mathews man>>>>> I love that mount... would love to have that on my wall.. congrats..

01-Jul-11
Hardcore, I've heard folks complain about "agressive" bear mounts not looking "natural". Or "you never see a bear like that in the wild..."

But I my short experience bear hunting I've seen that look several times, both when using hounds and bears coming into bait sites and running others off.

Makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up for sure....

02-Jul-11

NYbob's embedded Photo
NYbob's embedded Photo
heres a mean looking one from N.B. Chase outfitters

02-Jul-11
Note the old Pearson Deadhead that killed my first bear I did 3 bear with them before changing to Steelforce.

02-Jul-11

ryanrc's embedded Photo
ryanrc's embedded Photo

04-Jul-11

car's embedded Photo
car's embedded Photo

04-Jul-11

car's embedded Photo
car's embedded Photo

04-Jul-11
that last bear needs tome black paint on the inside of the nostrils.

04-Jul-11
I think it looks more realistic than those who just spray the nose all black. From the side it looks great.

Pig Docs Bear looks fantastic.

One more really big bear for me and I'll be done with black bears.

04-Jul-11
Pig Doc has my vote for "Best in Show".

04-Jul-11

hovey117's embedded Photo
hovey117's embedded Photo

05-Jul-11
A couple of mine on the floor.

OFFHNTN

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/651/trophyroom4.jpg/][IMG]http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/8339/trophyroom4.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us[/URL]

05-Jul-11

OFFHNTN's embedded Photo
OFFHNTN's embedded Photo
Well lets try this then.........

OFFHNTN

05-Jul-11

archerD's embedded Photo
archerD's embedded Photo
Not on a log but here is mine.

05-Jul-11
Very Nice Deer Slam Wall OFFHUNTN!

Coues and a Sitka Blacktail are on my hit list in the near future. Yours look fantastic. I hope that I can be as fortunate as you on those bucks.

05-Jul-11
Thanks Mathews Man. The Sitka is one I would LOVE to go back for again......5 days unguided on Kodiak Island with 3 life long buddies. Awesome trip! I have a Desert Muley hunt planned in December to try to get 6 species even though some don't consider the Desert Mule Deer as a seperate species. Best of luck to you!!!

OFFHNTN

05-Jul-11
I wish you luck on your Desert! I am hoping to arrange a Kodiak hunt with my dad or some close friends to go DIY perhaps early (August) or Later (Mid-November). My finances are still rough as I am paying for 8 African Mounts, and potentially more mounts if I am lucky this fall.

Plans became changed when dad and I drew Bighorn Ram tags here at home in Colorado this fall.

We might still swing our Coues deer hunt as that's next year right- as January is in 2012 ;^)

05-Jul-11

Bou'bound's embedded Photo
Just got mine back today. Pretty pleased overall with how it came out.

05-Jul-11

Last year's.

06-Jul-11
Came in to work today and one of our Officers chased a 400# Boar out of the cemetery this morning. The bears around here are already being a major pain in the... Good thing I have my tag.

It is hot, dry and minimal hope for much moisture here on the Colorado Front Range. Bears will be all over the place in September if it remains like it is now.

06-Jul-11
Bou, where's the log with the first pic--:)

06-Jul-11
the log was stuck up his rectum which explains the expression on his face. that part of the mount is in the other room though, on the other side of the wall.

do i have to explain everything to you guys............jeez!

06-Jul-11
There are some scary looking mounts here, and by that I don't mean just scary looking mounts.

06-Jul-11

Ace of Spades's embedded Photo

06-Jul-11

Another

07-Jul-11
WOW!

09-Jul-11

TD's Link
Hey, easy boys....

Nobody like having their babies called ugly. There's an emotional attachment involved. Few of us are art museum curators.... but art critics are a dime a dozen.

In the end, beauty is in the eye of the beerholder... it is what it is....

Could be worse...... Anybody remember that Michael Jackson guy????

You want to see bad, check out the link.... as I understand the trick is to get the eyes just right.....

09-Jul-11
i don't think anyone is saying anybody's bears are ugly, some just have special needs.

and those needs include, in some instances, a bonfire in the back yard.

09-Jul-11
If your bear has been mounted like some of the above take action ! 1 800 bad-bear we have lawyers that understand your trama,

09-Jul-11
I don't think bears were meant to be 1/2 mounted...its really hard to make them look natural.

14-Jul-11
I have been looking at mount styles for bear and I just can't do a 1/2 or 3/4 or standing full mount. To me a bear should be a full body mount on all fours or a rug. I am not knocking anyone's baby but for me nothing is cooler that seeing the full bear in rug form or on all fours.

14-Jul-11
I've never done a half mount...thank God. Don't want to trash y'all's bear mounts and it may just be me but I would not be happy with most of those.

14-Jul-11
Unfortunately I agree with these guys. Maybe it's just me but bears just look strange 1/2 mounted coming out of the wall with legs out. A nice full natural mount looks great or a rug. Somehow 1/2 mounts just look like..... 1/2 real.

If any, Knife2sharp, pig doc and Whackm had the most natural looking 1/2 mounts.

This is not to rip on anyone as everyone has pride in their accomplishments but some of those mounts are really strange looking.

15-Jul-11

MBguide's embedded Photo
MBguide's embedded Photo
I know these are 1/2 mounts but dogg3250 said that a bear has to be rug or full mount on all fours but here's a full standing that has to be one of the best I've seen so far

15-Jul-11

This is one of those mounts that to me personally just does not look quite right. Just a little "off", but with bears it only takes a little and you can just sense it.

15-Jul-11

I wanted something unique for my 11' 4" Kodiak brown bear and think this hit the spot.

15-Jul-11
grant i will like to buy some of your mounts , any price ,

16-Jul-11

we can talk louis everything has a price, well almost anything, no way I am parting with my polar bear mount. i froze my ass off for that thing for 15 days in Nunavut and I'm keeping it. give me a PM with your offer for my others, but it better be high.

PS in the mount that is NOT a real polar bear cub. It is a yellow lab painted white.

16-Jul-11

I'm adding a different color phase Boar shoulder pedestal to my half mount which kind of changes up how it looks.

17-Jul-11
Bears and mountain goats share a commonality, they both should be in life size mount or in only the bears case a good rug, but the life size mount is the only way to go...just my two bits.

18-Jul-11

wacem's embedded Photo
wacem's embedded Photo
My 3/4 mount (taxidermist term) which to me looks very realistic. Picture doesn't show the feet, one lifted and the other on a piece of log. The rug is of a blonde I got in Colorado. Both archery kills.

18-Jul-11
That shoulder pedestal mount looks pretty cool. I would have never thought I would have like a shoulder mounted bear. I am thinking of doing that if I am lucky enough to tag a bear next month in Maine.

18-Jul-11
It's weird but anymore I seem to be going with true pedestal mounts or Wall Pedestal stuff like McKenzie sells.

It usually costs a few more bucks (like $75) but I think doing them is worth it.

20-Jul-11

wacem's embedded Photo
wacem's embedded Photo
Here's a better view of my 3/4 mount.

22-Jul-11

New2Bears's embedded Photo
New2Bears's embedded Photo
I am very pleased with my 1/2 life mount. 2010 Boar.

23-Jul-11
Grant! You're killing me! Can I get up now!

23-Jul-11
Grant! You're killing me! Can I get up now!

• Sitka Gear