guidermd 18-Jan-11
14pbuck 18-Jan-11
Buffalo1 18-Jan-11
Pintail 19-Jan-11
Ermine 19-Jan-11
Eddiebobeddy 19-Jan-11
Gobblestopper 19-Jan-11
18-Jan-11
I was wondering what it cost to get a bear skin made into a rug. I still have to get the bear, but getting a rug made is one option if I do.

LBB

18-Jan-11
Most that I have seen is around $100 a foot. In other words, if the pelt measures 6 ft. squared, $600. That Is close to what mine cost with the head on. lareva

18-Jan-11
Most are over that now.

18-Jan-11
Mine was $100. a foot. I'm takin my daughter back this May to see if she can stick one too. Pm me if you want a very good place to Bear hunt. Mike

18-Jan-11
Last quote I got was $135 a foot. Typically, they measure from nose to tail not what the bear actually squares. Some taxis I've talked to give you a low ball per foot price than measures length from nose to heel.

18-Jan-11
a 220 lb black bear from maine just cost me $750. thats w/ an open mouth and 2 layers of ruffled felt around the border and hooks sewn into the underside so i am able to hang on a wall.

18-Jan-11
My quotes from a couple taxis were around $125/foot, and that doesn't include tanning. Alpha Furs in AK is tanning my black bear hide for $225, and then sending it down to Mike's in Louisville for the taxi work for the $750. I believe that includes shipping costs too.

18-Jan-11
I charge $140 a foot including tanning.

18-Jan-11
Avg I've seen for black bear is $150 per foot.

18-Jan-11
I paid $750 for a 5.5' bear, mouth closed 2 layers of felt, including shipping from alberta but that was 2006.

18-Jan-11
I charge $125 per LINEAR FOOT, not square foot as some think. Prices may really spread after some investigation, there is a guy around here that will complete a rug for about $300, but he simply hot glues a layer or two of felt on the hide. Versus, most stretch the hide, shape any imperfections, then add a layer of padding, then machine or hand sew on a double border, then hand or machine sew a bottom. You got to be careful with the different prices. I don't believe there is anywhere that confirms you get what you pay for, more than the taxidermy field. Good luck.

18-Jan-11
LongbowBob,

Do you have enough room for a rug? I got my rug made from my smallest bear and it still takes up a ton of space. Almost wish I hadn't. One of my big bears (340#) I had a 1/2-3/4 mount coming out of the wall walking on drift wood. It takes up less space and I think looks way better.

Not trying to discourage, just something to think about.

Good luck

18-Jan-11
My wife said I can hunt all I want, and hang all the antlers I want, but no heads. So a rug is the only option.

LBB

18-Jan-11
That does make a difference then. I also have several hides just tanned and hang them vertically.

Good luck

18-Jan-11
Lechwe,

What doe simple tanning cost?

LBB

18-Jan-11
Longbow, what would have done with it then? I personally don't like bear mounts unless they are full body - so for me a rug seems the best option. (I have yet to get one, so I am consdiering all this before I even hunt for one)

18-Jan-11
Rug or a flat skin is the only option.

LBB

18-Jan-11
Just to tan the skin can vary. If you choose a taxidermist he may charge $300 for just tanning. If you flesh and prep the skin, and can find a tannery that will take a skin from an individual - some only take work from taxidermists who run a business - you are looking at between $150 and $200 depending on size, as the tanneries charge by the linear foot.

18-Jan-11
you can put new berber rug throughout the house for the cost of a bear rug these days. but heck, those taxidermist guys need to make a living too. fleshing, tanning, skinning, shipping, felt, sewing and final preps all add up. take the full price of the hunt, add all expenses, and then double it is what it will take you to get back home with a mounted rug.

18-Jan-11
I charge $1000 to $1200 depending on the size of the bear. That includes a fully finished open mouth, fully finished feet and two layers of felt with hangers sewn in. You do get what you pay for and well said we taxidermists have too make a living too. Tanning costs have doubled and supply costs have more then doubled in the last few years of course look at the prices of new bows!

18-Jan-11
My bear squared 7'6"- Rug cost $350 with double felt (2 colors) padding on bottom. Plus, the taxidermist had to repair hide where wolves had eaten on bear the night before we recoved the animal the following morning. He did a great job repairing the hide and the rug "really has a unique story."

19-Jan-11
I have one being done now,$175@ft. Thats start to finish. I had the skull done for another 100 bucks. The biggest problem with bears is they are so greasy and the fleshing process is a pain.

19-Jan-11
Mine is going to cost $900, and that is with a discount. You get what you pay for.

19-Jan-11
Mine was about $850 as well for a 5.5' bear. Normally they charge by the linear foot. You get what you pay for and it also depends on the felt or anything extra you get done. Don't forget the shipping charges too.

19-Jan-11
LongBowBob, You could always do a 3/4 mount with the back end sticking out of the wall....no head to appease the wife and make it look like he stuck his head in a log or something!

• Sitka Gear