Pete In Fairbanks 11-Feb-11
bowriter 12-Feb-11
Porcupine 12-Feb-11
Genesis 12-Feb-11
cassman 12-Feb-11
09-Feb-11

medicinemann's embedded Photo
medicinemann's embedded Photo
To the best of my knowledge, this is not photo-shopped or staged. This photo is reportedly well over 30 years old. Alaskan residents may recognize it, as it was taken MANY years ago up in Alaska. I may not spell the name correctly, but I was told that the guy in the photo was the famous brown bear guide....Talifson (of Pinnell and Talifson fame).

Pretty gnarly picture, don't you think?!!

I also think that if I was walking around in brown bear country, I'd make sure that my gun was held together with something more than electrical tape (which is what it appears to be, from what I see). While the wood on the stock is breaking down, you can still see the tape holding the stock and gun barrel together!!I am sure that the skulls and the gun have been there for a while (and probably moved to some extent). Kinda reminds you of Jeremiah Johnson, when he finds that .50 caliber Hawkins in the hands of "Hatchet Jack", or whatever his name was.....

I wonder if the bear attacked the person, who shot the bear as it charged and killed them....or if the gun hunter shot the bear, wounded it, and it killed him before succumbing to its wounds? What a story this setting could have told at one time.....If anyone is familiar with the details of this photo, or the events leading up to this photo, I am sure that a lot of Bowsiters would be interested....(even if it WAS a gunhunter versus an archer).

09-Feb-11
Yes it is !! some details as to how and what happened would answer some of my questions

09-Feb-11
Ouch! Bear 1 and hunter 1. That is not how I wan't to break even.

09-Feb-11
Thank you very much. Interesting photo.

Whoever the hunter was he was unfortunate in more ways than one.

09-Feb-11
died of heart attack or knife would while dressing the bear?

Would make a good CSI episode.

09-Feb-11
Makes a guy wonder what transpired???

09-Feb-11
Photobucket

I, Hatchet Jack, being of sound mind and broke legs, do leaveth my rifle to the next thing who finds it, Lord hope he be a white man. It is a good rifle, and kilt the bear that kilt me. Anyway, I am dead. Sincerley, Hatchet Jack.

09-Feb-11
guessing the photo was staged, but ironically last friday just order a 20 gauge autoloader for my alaska sidearm when i make it up there someday.

09-Feb-11
I can't think of anything in North America that will get your attention quicker than a charging grizzly. I've had Arctic barren-ground grizzlies in full charge at me twice, once while I was in a boat and once on dry land. Deep water stopped one(a saw with cubs)and warning shots into the ground at 20 yards convinced the other I wasn't his next meal. The young (estimated 400 pound boar) came into camp looking for trouble and immediately charged from about 80 yards away when I stepped out of a building to try to scare it off. Thanks for posting: it brings back some exciting memories. The ending to my experiences were a lot happier than the one in that cool old photo. I've seen a couple videos of African lion charges, somehow I think I'd prefer the grizz.

09-Feb-11
Tie goes to the bear.

09-Feb-11
yeah rob - seen lion, leapord, and grizzly charges on video, and the reason i'm taking a lightweight autoloading shotgun over a handgun for protection.

09-Feb-11
Zbone,

The gun and skulls may have been moved, to get them all in the photo at the same time.....and if that is what you mean by "staged", I would have to agree.....both on the staging AND the choice of shotgun over handgun.

If you mean that the photo was "fixed" or shopped, I would disagree. The photo that I got was very old and dusty....and probably easily predated any computer technology.

That is a damn big bear skull....probably close to B&C size. I posted a photo of a 28 2/8 in last Spring's brown bear thread, and this skull looks rather similar in size....even though the right side is still in the dirt somewhat......

Thought-provoking for sure.

09-Feb-11
Another possible, even likely scenario is the hnter had a heart attack or something and died and then bears came along.

09-Feb-11
A few years back I was bowhunting in the Alaskan Range and the guide flew out to get an additional hunter. The fog came in and I was at the camp by myself for 4 days. The cook tent had a patched up tear in the front and back where a griz went through the year before. I found a fresh griz track (a lot bigger around than my hat) about a half mile from the camp.

He did leave a 12 ga. shotgun with #6 first, then buckshots and finally slugs in the gun. I wasn't scared but I did think that it was very bad planning on his part.

09-Feb-11
Bowriter,

Why would the bear die right where the hunter died from a heart attack?

09-Feb-11
Talk about a picture worth a thousand words...

Awesome....great pic Jake

Scoot I had something different in mind and it wasn't involving a Grizzly bear ...more like Halle Berry.

09-Feb-11
Sort of like the end of Legends of the Fall eh Scoot. "It was a good death."

09-Feb-11
Jake,

That's a great picture. With the quality it is hard to tell but could that possibly be a lever gun rather than electrical tape? Almost looks like the receiver of a model 94 but who knows. Either way a cool picture.

09-Feb-11
It was Pinnell and Talifson, last of the great brown bear men on Kodiak Island. They had a cabin at the mouth of the Ayakulik River. There are a couple books about these guys and their adventures many years ago on Kodiak Island. Its pretty cool to have walked many, many miles over the same lands they did and to have killed a couple brown bears in the same area they hunted over half a century ago.

09-Feb-11
Bob,

I've read both of those books a number of times each. Fantastic stories for sure.

09-Feb-11
yeah jake, refered to and meant 'staged' and not photoshopped.

09-Feb-11
Last of the Great Brown Bear Men was written by an attorney who lives here in Wasilla. While he was a much younger man he worked for P&T out of their cabin on the Ayakulik. In fact, one of the books is about his journey walking from the village of Karluk to the cabin. Great stuff, too bad he turned out to be an attorney.

09-Feb-11
There was a picture floating around a few years back of human remains that were found beside the remains of a large bull moose..kind of the same senerieo.

09-Feb-11
Lechwe,

Come to think of it, you might have a point.....I didn't expect the gun to still be black...I figured it would be rusted. However, if it was somewhat covered or buried, it wouldn't have to be rusty. Some much for my electrical tape idea.....but I agree, either way, a cool picture.

Blacktail Bob,

My Spring 2010 brown bear bowhunt with Tom Kirstein overlooked the very area where the fish cannery was on Olga Bay. I was under the impression that Pinnell and Talifson has a bear camp in that very valley.....

Thanks for showing me the correct spelling....I'll edit mine now - BTW, are you going to P&Y?

09-Feb-11
Beendare,

Death by Cougar does seems far more palatable...:)

09-Feb-11
"he was liv'n in a cave with a female panther up in the musselshell... she never did get used to him"...8^)

09-Feb-11
Jake,

I'll be there Wednesday night, look forward to seeing you.

09-Feb-11
So.......

Jake.......

Sounds like a Brown bear hunt coming up on your horizon this year???? =D

Cool pic, that would have been a story for sure. Makes you wonder who started the fight that wound up in a tie.

Blowing up the pic I can't tell for sure what gun it was. Doesn't look to be tape, but even that I couldn't say 100%. Only receiver that looked like that I can think of offhand is a savage 99. No tube magazine. But I can't make out any lever, or the rest of it for that matter. Savage 99 would be my wild guess. There were lots of em up in that country way back when. Not the greatest brown bear cartridge in a 300 Savage or 308 but the 358 (necked up 308) had some pop to it for a lever gun. But I bet the 99 killed lots of big bears. I had an Uncle with a mod 99 in 250-3000 (mine now) that killed several black bears but that's a different animal.

Bob...... LOL!

10-Feb-11
Genesis: I am with you on that! LOL!

10-Feb-11
TD, I was thinking 99 SAvage as well.

10-Feb-11
can't tell enough to see if there,s a lever (if so action is in "open" position or it would show against the butt stock and light colored jacket), but the fore end looks like a Model 99 especially the "squared off" profile where wood meets reciever and the fore-end retaining bolt which is clearly visible where the wood has rotted away from the barrel

VEY cool pic. Agreed that pic was probably "arranged" to get all the evidence in one photo.... and the fella most likely died of an overdose of wounded bear.

Heart attack could have been a periferal issue, heck he could've "shat himself to death" but the bear was heavily invested in the action or he would not have hung around long enough to leave his (her?) skeletal remains.

10-Feb-11
"peripheral" ugh! hate when a screw up a spelling like that!

10-Feb-11
"when I screw up a spelling" ....having a brain dead day :-(

10-Feb-11
Just imagine the stories that rifle could tell:)

10-Feb-11
It's a lever action rifle. Can't get the picture to clean up much more, but here a couple that you can use to help.

10-Feb-11

SlipShot's embedded Photo
Not sure why my picture did not post?

10-Feb-11

10-Feb-11

10-Feb-11

fuzzy's embedded Photo
fuzzy's embedded Photo
yep, its a Savage Model 99 Im willing to bet the farm on. As has already been posted and it's most likely chambered in .300 Savage (just a bit "milder" that .308 Win.) 250-3000 Savage (same cartridge necked to a .25 dia bullet, just a bit "less" that a .26-06)

could be the .358 but unlikely, not many of 'em out there, and the .308 is possibly but also not likely, as its a much later chambering and this looks to be an old pic.

Heres a pic of what I think the rifle looked like "pre-grizz"

10-Feb-11

fuzzy's embedded Photo
fuzzy's embedded Photo

10-Feb-11
Is it just me, or does the guy in the first picture have droopy ears? Must be fake. Ha ha

10-Feb-11
Jake, If this is the same Bear the story I got second hand is that the hunter tripped over somethying in the grass on Kodiak. When he and the guide looked around they found the skeleton of a man and a bear lying close together with an old rusty rifle lying close as well. First heard this story 25 or more years ago. Though the pictures look different than what I recall see at the time.

10-Feb-11
Thanks Rock....

That was the type of story or info I was hoping someone might be able to share.......

10-Feb-11
The book that picture came from is:

http://www.amazon.com/Pinnell-Talifson-Last-Great-Brown/dp/0937708038

Pinnnel and Talifson: Last of the Great Brown Bear Men by: Marvin Clark

Its a great read for any outdoorsman/hunter and gives the story of two men, down and out on their luck during the depression. They decide to move to AK and become the most legendary Kodiak Island bear guides of all time. The book has some great pics and stories of the early hunting days on Kodiak--done the hard way!. I would recommend this to anyone dreaming or wanting to hunt bears on Kodiak. Its a great read!

10-Feb-11
An 80 year old Guide just posted this about this photo on another forum ....

As I remember, it was a lever action. Probably a ".45/70" - think he left leaning against a tree - couldn't find it in time! (no internet then - or maybe ! Would not have shot "when" he shot - though shortly after would certainly have been a possibility and definitely before he got "et" (if that's what really happened.) Joe

11-Feb-11
Jdog,

This photo is in a book?!! I didn't know that!! The picture that was given to me was in a frame.....Thanks for the info!! I tried to look it up on Amazon and I got this message.....Looking for something? We're sorry. The Web address you entered is not a functioning page on our site

Johnnie,

Any chance that 80 year old would be willing to post on this forum, too?

11-Feb-11
He also posted:

"That's Bill - not Morris. The "story" behind the picture? Truly more fun than most will ever realize. Joe

and another guy just posted:

I have seen the actual photo of that picture, it is in Barry's Hangar of "Denali Air Service" he told me the story of it, he mentioned the hunter's name but I forgot. It came to the conclusion that, The hunter was bear hunting shot the bear which was mortally wounded that killed the hunter.

...gotta love a solo Brown bear hunt !!!!!

Jake PM sent ....

11-Feb-11
gun leaning up against a tree?

my guess the guy died as i said above. from Natural causes or from a knife wound dressing the bear.

don't you think the hunter would have the gun in hand if the bear was wounded but still alive.

maybe a second bear got him as he was dressing the bear he shot?

11-Feb-11
If only that gun could talk....! I don't know why I find this photo so intriguing, but I sure do!!

11-Feb-11
Cool pic

11-Feb-11
That is Bill Pinnell in the photo. I knew him.

I do NOT know the story though!

Pete

12-Feb-11
Bowriter,

Why would the bear die right where the hunter died from a heart attack?

Sorry-I didn't see that part of it. Looked again, still saw no sign of a bear. Must have some sort of glitch. Is the picture very blurry to you guys?

12-Feb-11
Bowriter your a bowhunter...think about it, most animals dont die the second you shoot them. He probably put a fatal shot on the bear, but was killed by the bear, before the bear died from the gun shot.

12-Feb-11
The "leaning against a tree" was written with sarcasm I believe.

Another thread on the Alaska Outdoor Forum mulls over the pic pretty good as well.

12-Feb-11
While hunting a few years ago I came upon the bones of a woman who had been murdered and her bones were scattered over a wide area, The police took the scull and found out who the woman was by the teeth.I was surprised that they left the rest of the bones at the crime scene. I was turkey hunting Jake.

• Sitka Gear