midwest 30-Dec-11
Medicinemann 01-Jan-12
hntnfool 02-Jan-12
Bou'bound 02-Jan-12
Owl 02-Jan-12
Bigpizzaman 02-Jan-12
Medicinemann 02-Jan-12
16-Feb-11
In Pat's defense, I should mention that my original draft was wayyyy too long. Pat had the unenviable task of trying to shorten it without losing too much in the process.

One thing that I want to mention is that the hunt was outfitted by Chris Cassidy of Fair Chase Adventure. He is based out of Colorado.

16-Feb-11
Great story

I love the blood on your shoulder.

16-Feb-11
Jake, A heart-felt congratulations to you. Your determination and persaverence are second to none. Thanks for sharing that fantastic story and video.

Mike

16-Feb-11
Thanks for sharing !!

17-Feb-11
Jake, another great story and I'm sooo happy for you. Perseverance? Yes, you define that. Glad it FINALLY came together!

Must have killed you to have one in the dupmster behind the restaurant, though. That's how it works.

FYI, In Canada we once left a stinky, sweaty t-shirt behind after peeing all around it. Next morning we came back to the blood trail to find that another bear had chewed the t-shirt to shreds and dragged it off into the bushes. So much for that.

Thanks for sharing with us!

17-Feb-11
Congrats on your bear. I'm always glad to see that life long dreams come true.

But I guess that Alaska's well known "wanton waste" laws don't apply to Brown Bears. Why is it that you don't have to take out bear meat?

LBB

17-Feb-11
Very cool story and video! Nice one Jake. Did the horseshoe make that hunt?

17-Feb-11
What a blood trail! Way to go Jake! JJ

17-Feb-11
Been waiting! VERY NICE! CONGRATS!!

17-Feb-11
Jake,

What was the set-up you used on your bear? Arrow weight, broadhead, kinetic energy etc. Very impressive blood trail! Congrats on a great hunt!

If you don't mind....what general part of the island did you hunt? Only reason I ask is I'm headed to Afognak this Sept. for blacktails and fishing. Staying near the fish hatchery on the NE side of the island.

Thanks and congrats again!

Russ

17-Feb-11
Jake,

Awesome story. Way to stick with it. Love following along with someone who appreciate the outdoors like you do.

17-Feb-11
Nice to see this go "public". Congrats again on a great journey and accomplishment.

17-Feb-11
Well deserved trophy! I want to see the bear target he used to prepare for this hunt though. Rumor has it that the bullseyes were located in the rump portion. Preseverance and a high draw weight wins everytime.

17-Feb-11
congrats Jake, great story and well deserved.

Call me, I have great idea for that project we talked about.

Lee

17-Feb-11
Bout time! But in the end,(pun intended) the memories of trying to kill THE apex predator of North America will last you a lifetime. Or until Alheimers sets in! LOL. Congrats Jake, I'm happy for you, Mike

17-Feb-11
Jake, Congrats on a well earned trophy. Your hard work and determination certainly paid off. Well done.

17-Feb-11
Awesome Jake! Congrats on the hunt and a well writtn story! Thanks for taking the time.

17-Feb-11
0/5 and you kept at it! What persistence! Congrats on a great bear and story. Great read.

17-Feb-11
Bob (LongbowBob),

I don't know why bear meat isn't required to be carried out. I ate my grizzly bear (It tasted like anchovies, of course). Even if we HAD removed the brown bear meat, I wouldn't have eaten it....the bear had a nest of tapeworms in his gut the size of a volleyball.

BTW, I'll send you some more videos soon.

Mike (INbowdude),

You can bet the house on it....the horseshoe was right there!!

Russ (Gobblestopper),

We hunted the North/Northwestern part of the island. I shoot Easton Axis arrows with Slick Tricks. Right now, I am getting about 90-95ft/lbs of KE.

17-Feb-11
Awesome story and great trophy! Thanks for sharing Jake.

17-Feb-11
Jake, great bowhunting adventure! Thanks for bringing us along.

17-Feb-11
Way to go Jake!! Very cool hunt!

17-Feb-11
Jake, Did you take a pic of those worms? Sounds gross! Congrats on your brownie. Bear slam complete now sounds like.

17-Feb-11
Jake, glad you finally decided to post yuor story. Great adventure and a well deserved trophy. Perserverence is a wonderful thing!

Ron

17-Feb-11
Congrats Jake! Thanks for sharing!!!

OFFHNTN

17-Feb-11
Jake, truly incredible! I am sure you have realized this already, and save the extra cost and time away from family, those 'extra' hunts make this prize all the more special.

Telling this story to friends over the years gives it some momentum and really inspires all of us in any endeavor in life that we just couldn't get right the first time.

Although at 5'10", I have given up trying to dunk a basketball ;)

Congrats buddy!

17-Feb-11
Great job Jake, congratulations, nice bear, what a thrill that must have been. Good job to the guide/cameraman too. Mark did a great job as well!!! Great to have another top notch Bowhunter as a bear guide.

17-Feb-11
Jake EXCELLENT EXECUTION!!!!!

17-Feb-11
Well done, Jake. Thanks for the exciting recap.

17-Feb-11
Bob,

As Mark and I were sitting back at base camp for a couple days (waiting for high tide and daylight to coincide so Seahawk Air could come get us), we got to talking about food, and the Moose Tooth made honorable mention (remember when the three of us had lunch there last Spring?). Mark is good egg...calm, knowledgeable, and best of all....hardcore. Now I have to delete this post before he can read it!!

I remember seeing your name (and Frank Noska's, I believe), on the Seahawk Air flight board when we returned from Afognak. They even sent me a Christmas card.....talk about follow-up!

Jake

17-Feb-11
Great footage. I love the way those critters move like they're packing nuclear war heads on each hip.

I don't understand the "jinx" verbiage. It was a one day brown bear for crying out loud.;)

BTW, I thought the gray bearded fellow did a great post kill synopsis. You should take him hunting more often.

17-Feb-11
Congrats on a great kill! To be honest, I would have probably soiled myself.

17-Feb-11
Jake, well presented story. Enjoyed every sentence. Great bear. richie

17-Feb-11
Jake, Outstanding and a well deserved trophy for you my friend! Thanks for the story and video it was awesome. How exhilirating it must have been to see that big boy lumbering downstream toward you!

17-Feb-11
Jake: What North American animals are you still out to get?? C

17-Feb-11
Jake: Way to get it done. Do you have the room for the full mount? It's getting crowded in there.

Rick M

17-Feb-11
Jake- When you told me earlier in the day to get a cup of coffee and enjoy your story later in the day I felt it deserved a glass of Remy Martin to sip while reading it. You told a great story about a great hunt. Even though you had a 1 day hunt you got your monies worth as you ususlly do on your big bear hunts. I read your Polar Bear hunt again last week and it still left me in stitches. Now if only Robin Williams were a couple of feet taller he could play you in a short action movie:)

Chip

17-Feb-11
Congratulations Jake. Nice to see you with a Brownie, you definitely earned it.

17-Feb-11
Rolan, Jo and the rest of the SeaHawk crew are the best. They have sure taken care of us over the years and, rest assured, Roy and I have tested their limits on more than one occasion. You can't beat Seahawk for an air service.

17-Feb-11
Great hunt, and great story just like all of the others. Thanks for sharing another great adventure. Having the video is great, but I still kind of miss the old school, "Hi Bowsite, this is Jake calling from......."

17-Feb-11
SWEET !! Congrats on a beautiful bear great trip, great hunt, great story !!!!

17-Feb-11
Congratulations again Jake, couldnt have happened to a nicer guy!

michael

17-Feb-11
Good deal Jake congrats. How many arrows did you have left in your quiver? my kind of blood trail. And keeping this under wraps all this time.

17-Feb-11
Congratulations Jake! I still remember 2008 when you were standing out in the rain in Alaska target shooting in preparation for the brown bear hunt. Meanwhile Tom and I were inside the restaurant; warm, dry, and relaxing. That's when I realized the kind of drive you have, and knew it was just a matter of time before you got your brown bear.

17-Feb-11
Congrats JakO!Beautiful Chocolate Coat...

17-Feb-11
Big Dan,

What arrows?....LOL.

17-Feb-11
The man just gets it done! :) Way to go Jake!

17-Feb-11
Jake, Thanks for the ride.

17-Feb-11
Great story Jake--thanks for sharing...

Scott

17-Feb-11
Jake,

Congratulations!! Well deserved my friend! I have known Mark Gutsmiedl and his wife Cindy for a few years now GREAT people. They don't come any better or any more hardcore than Mark.

Tony

17-Feb-11
Congrats!!! Great story!

17-Feb-11
love it , can not wait until i get mine or at least try.

17-Feb-11
Congratulations Jake, and thanks for taking the time to share you story with the rest of us!

Tapeworms or not, I don't think I could eat something that "looks too much like folk" (in the words of Jerry Clower).

-Cheryl n Matt

17-Feb-11
Great story and hunt Jake!

I was impatiently waiting to see the full story.

Congrats on a great bear.

17-Feb-11
Jake,

Great story and video footage! You’re perseverance and never give up attitude made it happen. Congrats on a great bear and awesome adventure!

17-Feb-11
I enjoyed your story....congrats

17-Feb-11
Jake , congratulations you bye far one of the most dedicated people i know.Know make the ultimate commitment mary that lady. AAron

17-Feb-11
wow, magnificent story. many, many congrats jake!!!

17-Feb-11
Nice going Jake, perserverance pays off.

17-Feb-11
Man that was AWESOME! For sure a lifetime experience! CONGRATS!!

17-Feb-11
Nicely done Jake, I appreciate that you don't leave anything out of the story, like the shots that might not of been perfect, or the ample blood trail! Congrats on a beautiful bear, you earned it!

17-Feb-11
Jake, Thanks again for another great read and video, and Congrats!

17-Feb-11
I was waitin' on this one.... well worth the wait. Thanks again for the story and sharing this hunt. Awesome.

Never goes simple, quiet and easy with you does it? LOL! I remember the polar bear hunt(s)! It's been debated on this site to death sometimes. Not any problem when you don't need it, nothing like a heavy arrow from a heavy bow when you really need it. Good job.

Congrats on a great bear and completing a personal goal that was turning into an ordeal of sorts. Gotta be a nice warm feeling in there. Betting that's one you'll take out now and then and roll around in for some time.

Well, that and 30 years from now nobody will be posting a photo of a human skull, bear skull and an old busted up bow with no arrows they found and everyone wondering what the heck happened.....

17-Feb-11
Thanks for sharing your great adventure with the other Bowsiters.

17-Feb-11
TD,

You are the first person to mention that gnarly bear photo.....but it did help "set the stage" for my hunt. LOL.

I agree with you and Tom inPa....perseverance and a high draw weight win every time. I don't think that I have ever heard someone complain about archery gear that "over penetrates".....

18-Feb-11
Congrats Jake, Nice Bear

18-Feb-11
Great Story and a great bear. Nice work.

18-Feb-11
What impressed me the most and nobody has mentioned it. Jake was in 14 yds of a wounded Brown bear that had an arrow(s) in it's butt..literally. Now unbeknownst to Jake it was fataly wounded at the time. And he had the cool nerves to slip and arrow into the boiler room. Dude you are a warrior!

18-Feb-11
Cool story, thanks for sharing and congrats on getting the bear of your back (yeah, I know, terrible humor).

18-Feb-11
Saxton, I was thinking about that. Some stones there for sure. (somewhere anyway.... heheheheh....)

I don't think there are many big bear guides that would have allowed that. In fact many would have shot that bear with their rifle as soon as it turned to run, I've seen that on shows, heard it in stories.

I'm guessing that was all hashed out ahead of time between you two? Or maybe next time the guide swears he'll tie a leash to Jake? LOL!

Very cool nerves shown by both hunter and guide. Good job.

18-Feb-11
That was awesome. Great job Jake.

I bet filling your tag after seeing the people in the boat and deer hunters was the last thing on your mind. Just goes to show that things happen when least expected.

Dale

18-Feb-11
Jake, Congrats.....what a bear and what a story! thanks for sharing it....!

18-Feb-11
Holy Crap Jake!

18-Feb-11
Saxton,

It really wasn't any big deal. Even though I didn't know how much blood the bear had lost until after the fact, it was in the middle of a large field, probably two hundred yards from cover. It hadn't covered one third of the field when it started to really slow down. I doubt that Mark could see my first arrow hit....he probably saw how quickly the bear started to fade. Let's also remember that the bear was laying on its back just moments after being wounded....no way it's going to do that unless it is mortally hit.

As TD mentioned, Mark and I had discussed scenarios prior to the stalk, and if things would have gone awry, Mark would have done what was necessary to ensure that I wasn't in jeopardy. I don't remember for sure, but I probably gave him my "until he's chewing on leg, don't shoot him with a gun" talk. Not that Mark wouldn't have interceded regardless of my wishes if he felt I was in trouble.....

18-Feb-11
Congrats Jake! Great story! I guess I can't look forward to another "Jake hunts Brown Bear story" next year? I'm sure there will be something else to look forward to. Thanks for sharing all of your adventures. Great bear!

18-Feb-11
I know I may be chastised for saying this , but every outfitters worst nightmare is a hunter hitting dangerous game or any game in the butt with an arrow . IF that bear had made it to the bush it easily could have been a different story . You can bet the guide would not have wanted to follow the bear into that stuff if given a choice . As it was, the setting with the open area worked out good for a shot like that . Congrats on killing the bear with a bow , it was a great blood trail for sure . As for having the balls to finish him off , I would submit that it was the hunters ethical duty to finish him off , as he was the person that wounded it in the first place . As for the kill , congrats but gotta say the shot itself was not the best . JMHO

18-Feb-11
Lloyd,

You shouldn't be chastised. You are just stating an opinion.

The bear went 100 yards and bedded down. He would have bled out right there. I could have sat there and watched him suffer, but then said that it was a one arrow kill (but while he bed quickly, I didn't know for sure, the extent of his injuries). I simply accelerated the process. You remark that my shot was not the best...I agree...I was 1 1/2" to the left of where I aimed.

I must also mention that the point of entry was the back ham....barely. I actually sent a photo of the first arrow's entry location to Pat, but he chose not to use it for the article (maybe I can post it). That arrow went completely through the ham AND through the body cavity. If I had shot him from the front and the arrow had quartered through him coming OUT of the ham, no one would care.....so what difference would the direction of the arrow make as long as it transected the animal?

For the record, it was a FOLLOW-UP shot that hit the bear in the butt....and by then, the boar was too sick to do anything about it.

18-Feb-11
Cool Jake , I thought the first shot is the one that hit him in the butt as well as the follow up . On the original story it says that the shot hit his ham and I assumed you meant butt. After all was said and done of course you could analyze where the arrow hit , but initially it couldn't have looked good .

[Therefore, the arrow hit him in the right, rear ham with excellent penetration.]

Regardless , again congrats on killing the bear !

18-Feb-11
Congratulations Jake. After all the trials and tribulations you have gone through to get an arrow into a bear, it all came together for you. Much kudos to you for sticking at it and if ever there was a pace for persistence to pay off, this is it. Great stuff mate

18-Feb-11
I've known Chris (Stink)for a long time and met Mark a really nice guy and awesome hunter at the P&Y Convention in Madison and they gave me a video of them in AK archery hunting for Brown Bears and Moose. It has some really great scenes of bear kills and Mark calling a bull moose right up to him. Now I've to get it back from the last person who borrowed it. They've got really good success rate on archery Brown Bears.

18-Feb-11
congratulations on a fantastic hunt!!! Kodiak Brown Bear is on my bucket list.

18-Feb-11
Beaneater,

Based on your "handle", do I dare to ask how Chris got the nickname? LOL!!

Outfitter,

Perhaps I should have said right ham, instead of right rear ham.....after all, whoever heard of a FRONT ham?? LOL.

18-Feb-11
Great story/picts/video. Thanks for sharing.

18-Feb-11
What a great hunt Jake! Nice to see the jinx broken and thanks for sharing it with us.

19-Feb-11
Hey Jake , I think the Front ham is just between the heart and lungs on bear lol .

Nice to see you got him congrats !

19-Feb-11
Jake, congrats on the bear. It's about time, yeah? So where did you have the horseshoe stashed? Good job and a great story. The bear jinx is broken!!

Be well Brother, Jay

19-Feb-11
Jake, Congratulations on a great trophy. Thanks for sharing. I too am glad that you had a guide that was so bowhunter friendly. As I watched, I was so afraid that I was going to hear a boom, as the bear walked away. I really enjoyed your hunt.

20-Feb-11
Congrats Jake! Great story!

20-Feb-11
Sorry! You dont want to know what i think.

20-Feb-11
Been out of town and just got a chance to read this Jake ... Congratulations, that is awesome!!! Glad you finally got your bear after working so hard for it!!!

20-Feb-11
Congrats Jake. Well earned for sure and it sounds like a pretty tough one day hunt.

20-Feb-11
Congras how many days total in the field for this species ,,

Jake did you slice the femoral , what organs did you take out with the first shot ,did the bear move while the arrow was in flight ,

Pound for pound bears go down quick ,Deer, elk ,lope I find are a lot tougher ,, more will i guess louis

20-Feb-11
Lou,

I don't think that I hit the femoral artery, as I just caught the back leg. However, I do think that I must have hit a major artery to explain such a blood trail. The arrow went through the ham, intestines (and a BIG ball of tapeworms), and liver....I don't think that it quite caught the back of the left lung.

The bear was walking away while the arrow was in flight, but the arrows are going 290 ft/sec and he was just walking at 40-42 yards. I do agree that pound for pound bears are not as tough as some other animals after they are wounded.

I think that it was my 52nd or 53rd day of chasing brown bears before I was able to put a tag on this boar.

21-Feb-11
Congrats Jake on a well deserved and hard earned trophy!

21-Feb-11
Jake--Just got back from a little fishing trip and caught up on your story. Big Congrats from GA!

I hear tape worms add a delicate "nutty" flavor to brown bear meat......you really missed out.

If I were a betting man, I'd say you would have picked up rocks and started pummeling the brute if you'd run out of arrows.

Very nice write up, video, and hunt.

21-Feb-11
Great hunt Jake. Those Browns and Grizzlies make your heart pump a little faster. Mike

21-Feb-11

21-Feb-11
Jake tapeworms ,, thats why i wont eat bear meat ,, Ive caped a few blk bears with worms nasty ,,

21-Feb-11
Jake , I am sure you are a nice guy , a great bowhunter and you live a lot of peoples dream and take the time out of your busy schedule to write about it for all to enjoy . Thank you , HOWEVER , I would like to ask just two quick questions if you don't mind.

[The arrow went through the ham, intestines (and a BIG ball of tapeworms), and liver....I don't think that it quite caught the back of the left lung.]

1) When did they change the backside of a walking bear at over 40 yards to an ethical Kill Zone And

[I think that it was my 52nd or 53rd day of chasing brown bears before I was able to put a tag on this boar]

2) Would you have "honestly" taken this exact same shot on Day # 1 or would you have waited and hoped for a better kill zone shot ??

To me this shot is a modified Texas heart shot or could have been very easily.

I mean no disrespect at all , but the fact is you spent a lot of cash and time hunting this species , and I would be interested if you "Honestly" thought about either of these things just prior to taking that shot or earlier.

21-Feb-11
Jake,Great story,Thanks for the posting.

21-Feb-11
Outstanding work Jake. Congrats. Ed F

21-Feb-11
Lloyd,

It might have been my 52nd day or whatever, but it WAS the first day of this particular hunt.

I felt that I could make the shot.....(I never said that everyone would agree with me for taking it). Perhaps I have more confidence in the killing power of my bow than most, because of its draw weight....perhaps I shouldn't have taken the shot.....But I DID.

People could second guess me on three or four of the shots that I have taken over the years, if you want the honest truth. However, I always try to put it out there the way that it happened. People sometimes warn me against that, but it all boils down to opinions. I would submit that a large number of people tend to "gloss over" shots that others might criticize.....I try not to....if it means "second guessing", that is fine. Maybe it will help others....

Many 3D archery targets have a second "bullseye" located somewhat behind the ribcage. In fact, I have a 3d lifesize brown bear target, and in all honesty, I practiced that very shot angle. When the animal is turned to present a quartering away shot, that particular bullseye then represents what is a very deadly shot. A quartering away shot at dangerous game...what's NOT to like? If you're calling into question the distance, that is a different matter. Like I said, I felt that I could make the shot.

Mark Gutsmiedl is a bowhunter as well. Afterwards, I asked him if HE would have taken the shot and I believe he said that he would have shot.

21-Feb-11
Hey Jake , again , I am asking in this light . You are a very well known bowhunter, and your stories are enjoyed by all.

IF there was a young bowhunter here reading your account and shot , would you recommend he take it ?

AND visualize this for me , an animal is quartering away and as you say , What is not to like ? However , if you shot and your arrow went 5-6 inches left and you hit the ham , it would be obvious that you pulled the shot for whatever reason , BUT you only pulled the shot 1 - 1 1/2 inches and hit the ham , that tells me the animal was severely quartering away or nearly walking directly away not quite. There is no way you could hit ham and only pull the shot that little bit on a quartering away (properly ) shot. JMHO The shot placement/ shot selection is the only thing I critque , based on the sniff test Would I recommend it to a young hunter. Thank you.

21-Feb-11
I am biting my tongue to not say something about where this thread is going or where it is at now! "JMHO"!!!

21-Feb-11
Ditto Chip T. There is always room for discussion IMO but when someone is kind enough to share these great experiences I wish people would make their comment positive or negative and move on.

21-Feb-11
My tongue just was severed and is laying on the keyboard in a bloody mess. what's the deal with this Outfitter guy?

21-Feb-11
Lloyd,

As I stated in the very thread to which you have responded...."MAYBE IT WILL HELP OTHERS." If a beginners arrow is 5"-6" off, then I would submit that they may not have practiced enough. Furthermore, even if the animal was broadside, and the arrow was 5"-6" off, we'd STILL be talking about a questionable outcome. It is doubtful that a beginner would be going after dangerous game with an arrow, so we can dispense of the danger perspective for purposes of this discussion.

For the record, of the four shots which I have taken that could be "second guessed", three of those animals were recovered. I'll put that up against the recovery rate of everyone's questionable shot outcomes.....we are an imperfect lot, we humans.

Based on your "handle", I would be willing to guess that you have seen your share of gong show shots.

Now let me have MY question. Are you telling me that you have never taken a questionable shot? Assuming that you have....how did you reconcile your decision to shoot after the smoke had cleared? After all, an outfitter's decision to shoot would be subject to as much or more scrutiny as mine, here on Bowsite. The same is true of your decisions as hunter, not just as an outfitter.

Again, no right or wrong....just differences of opinion. I train and practice as much as any bowhunter that I have ever met. That practice and attention to detail afford me some degree of confidence when I am afield. It does not make my decisions perfect, nor my outcomes. I accept the results of those shots, and I don't try to cover them up.

Perhaps this debate between your concerns and my attempts to address them, is best reduced to this ......As archers, we should practice and train as much as possible before attempting to take an animals life. When the decision is made to release that string, be aware of the consequences AND be willing to accept those them. I am and I do.

I would submit that the message to the new or younger could be a LOT worse than that.

21-Feb-11
Maybe not the shot for a novice but it's not this dudes first rodeo.

I won't second guess an experienced bowhunter. If he was confident he could make the shot he was right to shoot. Dead Bear.

22-Feb-11
Let me get this straight, folks are saying all bowhunters should be limited to take only the shots some rookie newbie should take?

Right on. I think NASCAR should have a 55 mph limit on it too. How dare those guys even imagine they might drive faster than those people taking their driving tests down at the DMV....

Seriously, I love the fact that Jake, and Pat also in a few of his hunts, always lay it all out on the line. No sugarcoating, no unicorns and rainbows. Fairies and gnomes need not apply. It happened this way....

He took a shot he felt he could make. Made the decision in a split second based on his experience, years of what is undeniably world class experience. It's all you can ask of anyone, especially not being there. He made it. The rest is inarguable.

22-Feb-11
Outfitter.... "IF that bear had made it to the bush it easily could have been a different story "

Only if someone not understanding the lethality of the shot rushed the tracking job.

Strong Quartering away are anything but "butt shots" as you so eloquently characterized and are very deadly.

Would I shoot a 10 FOOTER like that? No but large Blackies and 8 foot Browns....yes.

Nothing wrong with entry into the hind quarter (if you yip the shot a little)if you don't hit hip.Same fate as the scapula if your too far forward.

Of my two Brownies I've killed one punched ham and lungs (70 yards recovery).I was in thick alders and did not take up trail for 4 hours.

From the film it was obvious Jake's bear didn't need a follow up shot but with the open country the option was there for him.

In thick cover this bear lives a few hours longer and is a little stiff for trophy pics....

I raised my sons to freakin fire away on strong quarters as well (whitetails).It's served them well.

Nobody is advocating aiming for the hind quarter but if that's your worst case scenario (re: margin for error)on a quarter away shot angle ......"WHAT"S NOT TO LIKE?"... is spot on.

I didn't post to "defend" Jake on a personal level (he wouldn't want that)but just wanted to personally advocate that strong quartering away shots are great options for younger hunters pulling 60 lbs or more.

22-Feb-11
Before I even met you Jake and got to know you I saw a video of a grizzly bear that was coming towards you. It was pretty close and I kept wondering why you were not shooting. You did not feel comfortable with the shot. If you took a shot at this brownie, you knew you could kill it. I would guess that anyone viewing the griz footage would not question your decision on shot opportunities. Sometimes we take shots that don't turn out the way we want it to, but if the shot was taken then most likely the hunter feels that he/she can make it. This decision is made after countless practice session are made. The message to young hunters is that many hours of shooting practice and observation of animal behavior is neccessary when contemplating taking a shot. JMHO

22-Feb-11
Jake, congrats on another beautiful trophy. You might have to be adding on to the house soon! I don't think anyone should be judging you on the shot you took! If you were shooting a fifty pound bow, different story, but with the kinetic energy your bow is kicking out and your accuracy, the shot is as ethical as they come! Good job and I look forward to your next hunting report! Ed

22-Feb-11
So, the issue for some is the fact that a well seasoned, diligently prepared archer greenlighted a lethal, executable shot and, even missing by a small margin, yielded a Rob Zombie blood trail leading to an animal dead in sight... Got it.

22-Feb-11
While you guys hash out the "to shoot or not to shoot" business I would like to commend Jake on the ability to state his case in the way that he did. That took way more restraint than the brownie required. Thank you Jake for telling it like it is and owning the shot you took, if only all of us bowhunters looked in the mirror more often we wouldn't have the time to throw rocks at each other.

Having to lift and roll that big dude out of that hole was probably punishment enough for your 1.5" error LOL!

I'll be on Afognak in Sept. chasing blacktails, halibut, and salmon......can't wait!!

22-Feb-11
Thanks to all for the rebuttal on my shot placement statement , nobody has to "defend" Jake , as him as a person was never questioned and won't be by me.

As Jake said it is a question of opinions on ethical shot placement , nothing more.

I have one very respected bowhunter shooting a bear from behind , (Jake)

Another extremely respected bowhunter saying you can shoot an 8 footer but not a 10 footer like this (Genesis) and yet another

Saying you can shoot this shot as long as you are pulling heavy poundage. ( Bigguy)

So the lesson to take from all this is to load up on bow weight , practice lots , shoot from any angle at a walking animal over 40 yards away and pick up 3 out of 4 animals in the end.

The fact that the hunter is willing to make a video and take responsibility for the shots just because he can , does not make it right in my mind. If you aired that short shot segement on Youtube and asked for a shot analysis , I think the comments would be somewhat different then what they are here on bowsite.

I now understand why folks buy the big magnum rifles to hunt in North America as well .

JMHO - Enough said by me , sorry for critiquing a bowhunting legends shot placement.

22-Feb-11
Yep you are dead on Owl.

22-Feb-11
"Another extremely respected bowhunter saying you can shoot an 8 footer but not a 10 footer like this (Genesis) and yet another"

NOPE....I said "I" would and "I" wouldn't.There you go twisting the hay for your Straw Man again.....

"So the lesson to take from all this is to load up on bow weight , practice lots , shoot from any angle at a walking animal over 40 yards away and pick up 3 out of 4 animals in the end."

No....the lesson to take is if you are gonna call someone out on a shot you better know what your talking about.

22-Feb-11
Outfitter,

Until now, I have understood and respected your point of view. It not the same as mine, thus further text as we try to discuss the merits of both perspectives.

However, "So the lesson to take from all this is to load up on bow weight , practice lots , shoot from any angle at a walking animal over 40 yards away and pick up 3 out of 4 animals in the end." is nothing but twisting of the facts in an attempt to fit your opinion.

I have made many quick, clean one arrow kills over the course of my bowhunting lifetime. THOSE aren't in question....only the few that I could be "called-out" on. Perhaps you didn't read Loesshillsarcher's post....but I HAVE passed on shots closer than the one that I took at that brown bear (i.e. the grizzly bear), so I DON'T shoot at any angle. Not everyone CAN feel comfortable drawing high poundages, but luckily for me, my body frame allows me to do so. However, I DO feel that higher poundages would help reduce the number of wounded animals, provided it isn't beyond a person's ability to properly handle the bow.

I felt that 40+/- yards was close to my maximum distance for brown bear....was it over 40? I don't know, as I didn't have the time to range it. If I was there, and I am not certain of the precise distance, I am curious how you justify your "over" 40 yards comment. In my text, I believe that I felt that the animal was 40-42 yards away.....if you want to split hairs over a "possible" two yard differential as it pertains to my sight pins, I submit that that aspect of your concern is weak at best.

Remember, that 3 out of 4 ratio is as it pertains to shots that you might deem questionable. If we review the sum of all of my shots, that ratio would tilt convincingly in my favor. As an outfitter, would you accept a 75% recover rate on your hunter's "less than perfect" shots? I submit that you would.

I also noticed that you never addressed the ONE or two questions that I asked of you.......

22-Feb-11
Hell I'm proud of both of you! I'm proud Jake didn't try to hide the shot he took and I'm proud that Lloyd has the balls to question the shot knowing that Jakes bitches would flame his a$$. Rock on men rock on! Mike

22-Feb-11
Why be negative? It's the constant questioning of personal judgement that turns the producers away from this site.

By producers, I mean people who are willing to write up their stories, take pictures of their hunts, download those pictures to their computers, compresss the pictures to fit within the parameters, edit the video, etc, etc, etc.

Maybe we do rally behind the guys that produce fantastic feature articles here, but I think its fair considering those of us who won't be hunting brown bear, polar bear, muskox, cape buffalo, pr lion, any time soon really enjoyed the article, video, and pics.

What purpose is there to degrade someone else's experience other than to feel better about one's own situation?

23-Feb-11
Agreed Pat.

Great job Jake. That is one awesome trophy. I think I got a sneak peek on that one in Indy.

23-Feb-11
Anymore miscellaneous pics Jake? Anything you've got. I miss Alaska.

23-Feb-11
If one is willing to post on the internet for all the public 2 read ,Then of course there will be others that dont like what they have read.It is the bowsite folks can respond back .

Also shooting heavy bows , cut on contact heads etc should not allow a hunter 2 base his shot selection on his bows weight,thats bad judgement .

Heavy bows cut on contact heads are best used when a GOOD shot turns BAD, then you can reap the benifits of your equpiment .

In my opinion of this. It happens so fast animal is there , bow is drawn , arrow on its way , in this time frame a lot can happen. We arent allways give the luxury of time .

I see this as Jake made a bad shot that tuned out good. Bear expired fast .

Funny if I posted this or others I would be hung out to dry. LOL

Outfitter you need to read my grizz hunt now thats entertaiment

louis

23-Feb-11
Don't know where the photo went....I'll try again......

23-Feb-11

medicinemann's embedded Photo
Leaving Kodiak City for Afognak Island.

23-Feb-11

Ah....Alaska.....you gotta love it!

23-Feb-11
another 200 or so pictures will be greats Jake. Keep them coming

23-Feb-11

See you later....

23-Feb-11

When I was standing behind the tree, this is where I hoped that the bear would walk.....as you can see, it would have been a perfect set-up.

23-Feb-11

Remember I mentioned that the water was so silty that I really wondered if the fish could even live in it? This photo was taken about 1-3 feet upstream of where the three foot tributary was introducing the silty run-off into the main stream. You can actually see the knife-edge contact of clean versus silty water.....we started to see fish and bear sign immediately to the left.

23-Feb-11

When we left Afognak Island to head back to Kodiak Island, we flew almost right over where I had taken the bear, so I took a picture of the exact area where the hunt took place......

23-Feb-11
I don't care what anyone says... PURE AWESOMENESS! A big congratulations and thanks for sharing pics and the story!

23-Feb-11

This otter fed about 150 yards from us for a couple hours.....they must have a voracious appetite, as he was seldom without food in his paws or jaws.

23-Feb-11

If you have the Kodiak airport at your back (as I did when this photo was taken), this is the view towards the Comfort Inn. If you look closely, you can see the streetlight on the telephone pole that is closer to the hotel.

That streetlight is what enabled me to see the 10 footer on the road before he saw me. Then I just scooted (OK,OK, I sprinted) between the vehicles to get to the front doors of the Hotel. It was hilarious in hindsight, but my pulse was going pretty fast until I made to the front door!

I ran to my room and got my camera, but the big bear was gone by the time that I got back to the lobby....so I never got a photo of him.

There you go, Randy (Owl)........

23-Feb-11
U sure it was a bear maybe a little 2 much party drink lol

23-Feb-11
Is that plane a 185 or a 206?

23-Feb-11
"Rob Zombie blood trail"

Damn, that was funny, Owl! You should write for Dennis Miller.

23-Feb-11
Thats the Seahawk Air Service Beaver

23-Feb-11
By the way Jake, great shot and great real life bowhunting judgment ending up with a fine trophy. Let me know when you sign up as the role model for youth hunters. I for one will leave that to the guides and outfitters who get paid for their expertise.

23-Feb-11
Looks like a beaver to me to. An I would have taken the shot too.

23-Feb-11
Congrats on an outstanding trip, glad you got your bear

As far as I can tell, you did everything just right

Thanks for putting this up for everybody to experience and enjoy

23-Feb-11
It was most likely a sled dog, Jake was still celibratin gettin the monkey off his back! Lol, Mike

24-Feb-11
I really enjoy the float plane shots. I believe someone once said they should be the state bird of Alaska. I tend to agree.

And having put foot on the ground out there, it never ceases to amaze me how those beautiful vista can so quickly morph into inhospitable bush. Experiencing vertigo mid-descent. :)

24-Feb-11
I may have missed this but any speculation as to why the river was so cloudy?

24-Feb-11
A split second decision under tremendous pressure. The dead bear removes all doubt. It was the correct one! Congratualations Jake.

24-Feb-11
Jake: I know I already said it but congrats again. You pulled off the shot, bear went nowhere except for a plane ride home. Not everyone could make that shot. I have heard that with the KE you are shooting, those slick tricks even shoot through street signs!lol

Rick M

25-Feb-11
Congratulations! I followed an earlier hunt of yours and waited for the phone message. It didn't turn out as well as this one.

Way to keep at it. I really liked the "second arrow" mode comment that you made. I would not do it any differently.

25-Feb-11
Thanks again, Jake, for sharing with us. It's easy to second-guess from behind a keyboard. Things happen. You believed you could make the shot and you executed. Recovered the bear. I appreciate your honesty, knowing the risk of being judged for your decision.

That's bowhunting. Even so-called "perfect" broadside shots don't always turn out the way we expect. When I do my semi-live hunts, as you do, we understand going-in that there is a certain degree of trust and honesty expected of the writer. That's the difference between a true accounting of a hunt vs. a written version of edited TV hunts.

Great job, my friend.

27-Feb-11
Maybe i missed it but what type of broadhead did you use. type and weight thanks

03-Mar-11
Thanks for sharing your great hunt with us. Can't imagine pulling him out of that hole.

Loved the video footage of him walking down the river.

04-Mar-11
"Rob Zombie blodtrail" LOL

Jake, you are one straight up good natured dude.

By now I would be using 16 letter words pieced together from 4 letter ones.

Tell Nancy "hey" for me.

:-)

11-Mar-11
Jake,

Congratulations! Great story and video,thanks for sharing.

05-Apr-11
First, Congratulations! Thanks for taking the time to tell your story on here and then to personally answer everyones questions and comments. Truly an awesome read. Thanks again!

26-Dec-11

26-Dec-11

Medicinemann's embedded Photo
Just got my brown bear back from the taxidermist on Christmas Eve. Here is a photo of the bear mount and my new bride of 10 days..... (my bride is the one on the left with the purple sweater). LOL

26-Dec-11

Don't know what caused the spots on the previous picture....let's try that again..... The bear actually has a significant amount of rubbing on him....but I never noticed it when we were skinning him (maybe because he was so wet?). It is MUCH more noticeable now.....especially when viewing him from the back.

26-Dec-11
Congrats Jake, on both accounts. They both look great.

How do you haul something like that around?

26-Dec-11
Great Bear mount Jake. Congrads to you and the new Bride.

Is that a Colorado Bighorn in the background above the lamp?

26-Dec-11
Lee, That's easy to answer. Nancy sits in the front seat beside me....LOL!! Oh...you meant the bear?!! It was brought to the house in a pick-up with a cap.

Rock,

Good eyes!!

26-Dec-11
Jake that is a beast, Man what a gorgeous wife and trophy room, see ya in reno jake

26-Dec-11
Super brownie mount Jake. Congrads to you and Nancy on the nuptials as well.

26-Dec-11
Congrats - you've had a great Christmas! Beautiful x 2!

26-Dec-11
I was about to give you a call and find out when you were tying the knot. Congrats to both of you. I am sure this is a Xmas both of you will cherish.

26-Dec-11
Congrats on both counts Jake. Well done sir!

26-Dec-11
Jake, You must have been a "good little boy" to get two presents like that under the tree. Congrats. both. You've got a very beautiful bride.

26-Dec-11
Congrats on the bride and the bear Jake. So you going to show us the back side?

26-Dec-11
Looks great to me, and the bear too! Congrats all the way around!

26-Dec-11
Jake, A big congratulations to you and Nancy! I wish you many years of happiness. Also thank-you for the calender! Nice bear mount too.

26-Dec-11
Good deal jake. What took you so long? Hope to meet her in Dallas.

27-Dec-11
Boothill,

Are you referring to the bear or Nancy? LOL!!

Jake

27-Dec-11
Very cool (for both)!

27-Dec-11
Nancy never hunted until she met me three years ago....now she is almost obsessed. Get this, we eloped on 12/15/2011. After the very brief ceremony, I said "OK, let's get out of town, at least for the night....where would you like to go?"

She got all excited and said "Let's go to Cabelas!"....True story -

The Cabelas in Dundee, Michigan is about 4 - 4.5 hours away, and we have been to the one west of Pittsburgh, across the stateline ...... so, for our one night "honeymoon" (until after the new year, when we'll head out of town for a longer vacation), we went to Cabelas. A woman that wants to spend part of her wedding day at Cabelas!.....maybe that's part of the reason why I got married (or perhaps why I stayed single until I was 55!!) LOL.

27-Dec-11
What an awesome trophy! And while that whole room is full of them, the most beautiful of all is your new bride! She was certainly worth the wait. Congratulations to you and Nancy!

-Matt and Cheryl

27-Dec-11
Jake, Congrats to you and Nancy and Health and happiness going forward. Nice Bear

27-Dec-11
No doubt Jake got the best of the deal. I tried to talk Nancy out of it......

27-Dec-11
Be careful there, Mad Trapper....I know where you live!! LOL

27-Dec-11
Congratulations to you and nancy, and nice bear.

27-Dec-11
Beauty and the Beast! Way to go Jake on both accounts.

28-Dec-11
Jake,

I was talking about the back side of the bear actually. I would never ask a guy to send a picture of his new brides back side. LOL

Wow Cabelas for a honeymooon trip! You did get a good one didn't you. If you could get a wife measured for record book status I think Nancy would rank right up at the top.

28-Dec-11
I saw a pic similar to this one except the bear was a groom and Nancy was the bride. Show everyone that pic. Its a good one also. Congrats to you both!! Congrats on the bear mount as well.

28-Dec-11
congratulations on the wedding and a great bear mount! Not sure if missed it but what did that bear square? It looks enormous!

28-Dec-11
Wow Jake, I had to scroll back up to see the trophy room. I didn't notice the rub on the bear either. Congratulations! If Jake is not on bowsite as much we will understand. Wishing you and Nancy the best. Dave

28-Dec-11
Congrats Jake!

I mean with Nancy, the bear is impressive but he's already committed about as much as he's going to in that relationship....

I like the "eloped" part. Pretty cool. There is no relationship between the success of a marriage and the price of the wedding facade. Put the money toward something you will remember..... like another hunt, er OK, another hunt together .... =D

Good job. In your future together, my heartfelt best wishes to both of you.

Live long and prosper...

29-Dec-11
Deacon Dave,

I went back to my video of the hunt, AND the kill photos, and I can see a slight "light" streak on the bears arm. He was so wet that perhaps it "darkened" the fur, because I never noticed the rubbing, and it is significant!!

I'll post a follow-up photo of the degree of rubbing on the boar tomorrow, as I remember someone asking about the degree of rubbing on Spring bears versus Fall bears in another Bowsite thread recently.

Jake

29-Dec-11
Jake, the bear turned out great! Congrats on the new bride as well!

29-Dec-11
Quite a year for you Jake! Congrats to you and Nancy! How about an African honeymoon/hunt? Sounds like a new reality TV series...."Fun with Jake and Nancy!"

29-Dec-11
Lets see 1.5 to 2 inch margin for error, 40 to 45 yard shot, 30 to 35 mph wind (quartering) hummmmmm I'd bet money he couldn't hit his anticipated point of impact 2 out of 10....What lesson would an up and coming youngster get from this scenario. Yup he got his bear so we should conclude that the ends justify the means.

29-Dec-11
congras to the union of Jake and Nancy

Ps jake i told u i would have killed that big 10ft on kodaik bald or not ..

29-Dec-11
AWESOME !!! On both acounts Jake congrats and best wishes !!!

30-Dec-11
Congrats x 2, Jake!

01-Jan-12

Boothill, Deacon Dave, and Maverick940,

I finally got a photo of my brown bear. You can see the difference in the fur quality of the head and upper shoulders compared to the majority of the rest of the body. I swear It didn't look that rubbed when he was wading through that stream......even now, when I look at the photos (or the video) of the bear, it doesn't look anywhere NEAR that rubbed. This bear was shot on the sixth of November. I would have thought that he would have had a full, thick coat of fur by that time in the season.....which is why I wonder if the tapeworms might have been responsible for the compromised coat of fur. Just a thought....nothing I can prove, but it seems fairly plausible.

02-Jan-12
Jake,

Ron Popeil has a can of stuff he says will thicken hair even cover bald spots. you might even talk him out of some steak knifes. HaHa

02-Jan-12
It's a great looking mount Jake. Hairy backs are over-rated anyway.

02-Jan-12
Congratulations on the nuptials, Jake. And your taxidermist did an outstanding job on the brownie. If I didn't know better, I'd say he wants a rematch for Nancy's hand. ;)

02-Jan-12
WOW!! Congrats on being a "Newlywed"!! Great bear, I might have to upgrade!! See you in Reno, Clutch will be there too so watch your back!! LOL

02-Jan-12
Don't get me wrong, after five hunts, I was thrilled to get him.....I am just surprised that I didn't notice the rubs before....being wet must REALLY make a difference. I went so far as to check the hide for stitches where the arrows hit him, to make sure that it was MY bear. I was that surprised by the extent of the rubs.

• Sitka Gear