loesshillsarcher 22-Sep-15
Bear Track 22-Sep-15
bearbaiter 31-Oct-15
shortstop 02-Nov-15
huntr4477 02-Nov-15
Tndeer 02-Nov-15
02-Sep-15

Brotsky's Link
Some of you may remember this thread from last fall, I was lucky enough to be given a great opportunity. Now the day is fast approaching for Nichole and I to venture to Manitoba for our fall bear hunt on September 13. We are both rookie bear hunters and are looking to the experts here on Bowsite to help us make the most of our hunt and avoid any potential first timer mistakes that you may have made or have heard or seen others make. Give us your best piece of advice on must have gear (we have thermacells and refills aplenty!:-), shot placement tips, bear behavior, or any thing else that you think would be helpful to a first timer on a bear bait. I've read information and watched plenty of videos but the wealth of knowledge here is second to none in my opinion so I thought I'd ask my Bowsite brothers for any last minute advice or pointers. I hope to make our hunt semi-live depending upon internet service, at the very least I plan to do a photo recap when we return. Thanks for your help!

02-Sep-15
Never go on a bear hunt without a fishing pole...and a five of diamonds daredevil!

02-Sep-15
therma cell bring two

if you hear a twig snap don't quickly turn around to see what caused it. it could be a bear looking at you in your tree stand.

02-Sep-15
therma cell bring two

if you hear a twig snap don't quickly turn around to see what caused it. it could be a bear looking at you in your tree stand.

02-Sep-15
+1 Southfarm.

Listen to your guide.

Bears are extremely hard to judge so hopefully your guide can tell you which bears are the mature bears on the bait.

Have fun!

02-Sep-15
good luck, I never add anything to a bait station the guide isnt already doing. Allllll bears look big at first glance really look them over if you ever think its small it is.

02-Sep-15
IMO your best lessons come from mistakes,remember them .. and dont forget to have fun and B safe

MikeC..To the world your one person but to one person your the world

02-Sep-15
If it looks like a small bear, it's a beaver.

If it looks like a medium size bear, it's a small one.

If you think it looks like a big bear, it's a medium size one.

If you think it looks like a Volkswagon, THAT'S the bear you want.

(When they are really big, YOU WILL HAVE NO DOUBT)

When it's the dominant bear on that bait they don't look like they are scared or worried about another bear.

Decide ahead of time if you'll sacrifice some size for color.

Remember the bottom 4+ inches, of what looks like bear, is hair.

Whatever you do, try to be happy with whatever you kill. A lot of guys shoot a small or medium sized bear the first time.

Stay as still as you can, they spot movement easily. Take pictures, and Enjoy the experience.

02-Sep-15
mostly wait till the bear is busy with the bait before you make any moves the rest you will learn by experience. Good luck

02-Sep-15
If there is a 55 gallon drum, if the bear looks like he will Not fit in the Harrell it is a big bear.

If it looks like it easily would fit in the drum then it is a small bear.

But....best piece of advice I can give is this. Decide BEFORE you get in the stand whether you want just a representative of the species.....a bear, OR whether you want a big bear.

And one last thing, Don't shoot the first bear you see unless you just want any bear/a representative bspecies bear.

02-Sep-15
Remember to have fun!!!

02-Sep-15
Thanks guys, some great pointers here already! Greatly appreciated!

As a general rule of thumb, how long will a bear stay at the bait? I'm sure they are all different but just generally speaking. Will I have all day or do you shoot at the first opportunity? Based on Alexis comment waiting until the bear is settled in on the bait and eating would seem prudent.

The wife wants anything bigger than boo boo, I'd like to hold out for Yogi. The judging bear comments are giving me an idea of what to look for and are extremely helpful.

02-Sep-15
Practice in low light conditions. A high percentage of big bears come in right at last light. Make sure you can draw quietly. Stands are usually close enough for a bear to hear any out of the ordinary noise. Best of luck and just know you will be hooked!!!

02-Sep-15
Patience is the key on most bears but some bear will just pass through judgement call ,the oak nuts are falling right now forget about the oats and corn right now they are not interested here. hopefully your guide has the secret weapon lots of sweets. Hope you's both get a good bear. on some bear you have lots of time some not.

02-Sep-15
Thanks Alexis, appreciate your feedback. I was thinking that a mature boar may be more inclined to spend longer on a fall bait than a spring bait since he's not cruising for sows but rather fattening for winter so we may have more time to wait for the perfect angle. I've really been working on that a lot with Nichole watching videos and pointing out great angles and poor choices. Shooting a lighter weight set-up waiting for the perfect angle and opportunity will be extremely important for her to insure she gets a pass through and a good blood trail.

02-Sep-15
Your right the mature boars if they like the bait easier to get in fall. Remember stay away from front shoulders that's what I tell the boys no vitals in there.

02-Sep-15
Only thing wrong with South Farms advice is that it should be a Len Thompson #2 Five of Diamonds.

02-Sep-15
If you are flying they will not allow you to bring your Thermacell refills on the plane, so you will have to get them up there. Canadian Tire usually carries them.

02-Sep-15
Take something to read on stand.

I found prime time to be 8-10PM

If head looks like a German Shepherd don't shoot.

If ears are wide apart, nose is short, has short legs and gut is close to the ground- it probably gonna be a shooter.

Bears will circle bait before coming to the bait. Let bear come to bait and get comfortable.

Be quiet because bears are quiet. Sometimes they are on bait before you realize it. Keep arrow nocked at all times.

After shot, listen for death moan- very erie sound.

Take fishing rods and lures- normally some good fishing during the day.

Have fun and enjoy the experience.

02-Sep-15
Enjoy and relish every last second of it!

02-Sep-15
Do not rush the shot; wait until the bear is feeding at the site is very good advise.

02-Sep-15
All tips have been covered except the fact that they have a bullet proof vest for a shoulder blade. Make sure once that bear has become comfortable at your bait site you wait for the front arm to be reaching forward before you shoot. Slightly quartering away is best. As far as how long they'll stick around , there's no rule but typically if they're skiddish theure not the dominant bear on the site or they know you're there. If they start heading towards your stand stay cool they're very curious and are very aware those stands/blinds are there. Gold luck and remember there's nothing like your first bear, enjoy every minute !!

02-Sep-15
Bear reaching forward and 1/2 away. If you look at the face and the ears look small compared to the head, probably a big one.

If you don't want to use or have no refills for the Thermacell try tying face mask netting to a pair of safety glasses(e.g. light gathering yellow shooting glasses). You can drill some small holes in the glasses or melt with a needle to attach the netting.

Good Luck

02-Sep-15
one more thing, don't beat yourself up. The biggest bear I ever shot came in and grabbed a piece of food and ran off 3 times. 3 hours later right before dark he came out like he owned the place. If you don't spook them they normally don't go far from a consistent food source. With that said there's tons of natural food in the woods this year . Don't over wait either. Read the bear and listen to your guide they' should tell you if the baits aren't be hammered like normal in which case you're level of picky might have to adjust accordingly. Any bear is a trophy and they sure look beautiful in your game room

02-Sep-15
Don't rush the shot. Remember to pick a spot, which is a little different because it's a big black blob that you are aiming at. I learned that one the hard way this Spring(still kicking myself). Try to be like one of the Queens Guard at Buckingham Palace. Sit there still and don't move a muscle. Best of luck, have a great trip!

02-Sep-15
Couple more things-

If a small bear is on a bait and suddenly scrambles off- get ready a bigger bear is coming into bait. Could be the one you are after !!

If a bear wants to climb your tree- simply stomp on the stand. They will normally retreat. Bears are very inquisitive animals

If you encounter a bear on the ground- don't run. Holler and move hands - display no fear.

Stay away from sow with cubs at all cost.

03-Sep-15
Thanks for all the tips guys! Keep them coming!

Scott, I'll take Ryan up with me if promises to wear the skunk hat the entire trip! Ha!

03-Sep-15
Take the FIRST good shot you get. Hunt

03-Sep-15
Bowjunkie X2: "All tips have been covered except the fact that they have a bullet proof vest for a shoulder blade"

I can confirm this is true. I lost a magnificent Blackie at Bear Track last year with a shot into the shoulder blade. I keep replaying that shot over in my mind and probably will never stop playing it.....the kill shot is back further than you think.

03-Sep-15

Ursus a. Horribilis's embedded Photo
Ursus a. Horribilis's embedded Photo
The aiming point is "middle of the middle". Here's a visual created by Woodie Sanford. Put an arrow there wait 30 min and you won't track far. Most likely you'll hear a death moan as feedback of a good shot.

03-Sep-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Great photo Ursus! I've been training Nichole to place her arrow in my green dot on a slightly quartered away bear. I think that should make for a short track job and gives her a little leeway left and right.

Thoughts anyone?

03-Sep-15
I feel your pain Steve that was experience speaking it was the last night of a hunt and I took a kind of iffy shot while the bear was walking away from the bait and just as I fired that front leg went back and it was like hitting a cinderblock wall. I beat myself up over that for quite some time but at least the outfitter said they had the bear on trail cam two weeks later. You will do just fine brotsky as long as you stay away from that shoulder there a pretty softbodied animal. Watch as many YouTube videos as you can to get a feel for what they do and have a plan before you go into the woods and do not deviate from that plan and you will be just fine. No hailmarys in bear hunting with a bow. Please let us know how you do

03-Sep-15
On my Manitoba spring bear hunt this year with Bear Track Outfitters, I learned from a couple of mistakes. On the night prior to the first day of hunting, I was taking a few practice shots at a 3D bear target that the outfitter has set up. I was in a ladder stand practicing while standing up. I decided to shoot a few arrows while sitting down. On the first shot, my bottom cam of the bow hit my leg forcing the string off of both cams. I didn't have a portable bow press (nor did anyone in camp), so I woke up early the next morning and made the six hour trip to Winnipeg to get my bow string put back on at a pro shop. I was lucky enough to kill a bear that night, but that's a different story. A couple of days later, I was checking baits with the outfitter and got my thermacell wet. Although I was done hunting and didn't particularly need it, I would have been SOL because it stopped working after that.

03-Sep-15
do not, ESPECIALLY IF HUNTING THE RUT, pass up good kill shots at a bear waiting for him to get to the bait and pose for a shot. They may just be passing through at any time, especially in the late spring.

03-Sep-15
I don't have any advice for you.

Just want to wish you & your wife good luck on your hunt!

03-Sep-15
Not much advice either. Just set real still and shoot what makes you happy. Be carefull about taking pics of little bears the big ones will be back watching you. Make sure you have a good time and relax your there to have fun!

Good luck!

20-Sep-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
You guys forgot to give me the most important piece of advice a guy hunting with his wife needs to know. Don't let her shoot a bigger bear than you! Ha!

21-Sep-15
that's a good one congrates you set the bar pretty high, good luck Brotsky on doing better than that.

21-Sep-15
Bear hunters rules to success.....sit still,be ready with bow infront of you,make good shots,practice.practice.

21-Sep-15
That's a terrific pict Brotsky!

22-Sep-15
I'm for letting her take a bigger one each time. It is always great to see others amazed at their success. I've had enough big'uns and like to help others with that ear-to-ear smile, and not be bummed as having to take the little one while macho guys push them out of the way to shoot.

22-Sep-15
You've got the right idea eagle, good on you. Maybe you missed my thread on our hunt or some of the others I've done. My comment was sarcasm/tongue in cheek meant to be humorous. I've pretty much become the king of not killing anything because I'm too busy getting game in front of her and our daughter. Sometimes going home empty handed and full hearted is the best hunt of all.

22-Sep-15
I agree with the shot placement tips. I like the middle of the middle rule. Try to wait for perfectly broadside shot. PING. I have hit two monsters in the shoulder. They both sounded like shooting a metal flag pole. I am still sick that I was unable to find them. Stay away from the shoulder.

22-Sep-15
Brotsky, you're a good man. Nicole must now know, it's down hill from here on!

31-Oct-15
hey justin, let us know the score of the skull when it gets scored, he has a decent nogin on him. i'm curious.

02-Nov-15
Do not let a cub climb past you in the tree you are in!

02-Nov-15
LOL shortstop!That happened to my buddy a few years back.Mom and 2 cubs were at the bait,a big male came along and chased one of the cubs up his tree. He couldnt get a shot at the male and it eventually left the area.Mom hung around until well after dark when me and the guide had to scare her away with our quads. My buddy had claw marks on the top of his bald head from the cub climbing past him!

02-Nov-15
get used to drawing your bow from the new stand/climber you are hunting in. I went on my first bear hunting trip a couple years ago and made a bad rookie mistake. Drew back on a bear and release only for my cam to rotate into the safety bar on the bottom of the stand and throw my shot off. At home I don't have safety bars and I don't travel often so I was really stunned by this. I feel like a jackass every time I think about it.

• Sitka Gear